Will this forever remain their most experimental release or are they going to outdo it...

will this forever remain their most experimental release or are they going to outdo it? Things have felt kind of stagnant since it came out, ironically enough "lateral". Hoping the next album takes it to the next level.

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/p/BZP1m9gAVw6/
youtube.com/watch?v=zf99kdFw9b8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't know, just want the new album or a single asap

I have an autistic theory about this. They broke up shortly after they released this album and claimed they were the best they were ever going to be but then claimed they would still finish the project and release JD.

JD is part of Death Grips 2.0, as far as they're concerned, 2.0 is not part of Death Grips, this is a new era for the band, and that is conceptually speaking why the albums have been "lateral".

JD is clearly EXM 2.0
BP is TMS 2.0

The next album will be NLDW 2.0. It's going to be more sparse instrumentally speaking, going back to the primal side of the band with heavy focus on vocals.

sounds cool

Steroids

But steroids was weak and more of bottomless pit. Nothing about that release is experimental or forward thinking.

steroids always felt more experimental to me, dunno why

GP the most experimental

NOTM is their best though and its not even close really JD such a disappointment after NOTM

shit this is pretty dope

Nah, fuck NOTM. NOTM, along with NLDW, GP, and some of BP, are the epitome of annoyingly repetitive structures with nothing different on consecutive repetitions problem that Death Grips has had.

Thankfully they are learning with Steroids. It has neither stupidly boring amounts of repetition their "experimental" garbage does, while it keeps the high intensity aspects of their heaviest records ExMilitary and Jenny Death.

autistic

Nope, autistic is liking music just for its surface timbres not for actually being interesting in any other way, especially when it's worse in being structurally repetitive than the most boring radio pop.

I really hope not since NOTM is their weakest record. Not sure why people like it so much.
Bottomless Pit/Steroids is the Death Grips golden age.

NOTM and STEROIDS are the best releases

I sympathise completely with the desire for them to go experimental again like NotM, but I think NotM is such an ostentatiously crafted and cryptic release that they probably intend to leave it as "the intellectual one" and not go down that road again.

On the other hand, anyone who considers Steroids to be "just BP lite" is missing out. My Whole Life alone is richer and more fascinating than anything on BP, and a sign that they aren't just spinning their wheels. Experimentation and technical advancement doesn't always come in the form of a super cerebral museum piece like NotM, especially where DG is concerned.

that's a very interesting idea you've got there user

this site is 18 and up

How is any of their music more experimental than other i just want to know what qualifies as experimental, them making music that is not enjoyable makes it more experimental ?
Cant they make music that is enjoyable ?
What is experimental?

I enjoy their music.

it is, get out

yeah you totally don't have autism

Death Grips have PERFECTED what it means to be experimental

to further drive this point home, TPTB used recycled art from the EXM era for its back cover. Not to mention the "Very Shallow Listening" from BP, and the traditional release cycle of it emulating TMS, I mean fucks sake they debuted a single on radio. It will be really interesting to see if we'll get another 2.0/Hot Head on the next album, songs that really stand out from the others on the album.

This was my theory too. To add to it a little bit, their current twitter avatar is the NLDW alt cover

It kind of makes sense in a weird way. I'm not totally convinced of it yet, but if the next album sounds inspired by NLDW I will be totally sold on it.

To me, the break-up note only makes sense if they're referring to notm as "being at their best" I just don't see that coming from a band talking about Jenny Death, that album is nowhere near as forward pushing and challenging, to me it makes sense for the entire band to consider notm their masterpiece.

I'd agree with Government Plates, that album is borderline lazy with its repeats, but I think NotM manages to escape the same pitfalls by having a far more complex set of textures, and by actually adding/changing things on repeats

Have you seen the recent Galen Pehrson posts? The music doesn't sound sparse like NLDW but in a weird way it does have a similar vibe.

What song did they debut on the radio? Also Hot Head sucks and isn't experimental, it's just over the top crazy punk music just for the sake of being "crazy".

>An album needs to be experimental to be good
Shut the fuck up moron. Bottomless pit was great

>GP the most experimental
This, also the most underrated

“Eh”. Although the album leaked in advance so not many people cared by that point.

He was replying to a post that implied steroids was notm 2.0 which it clearly is not. No, their music doesn’t have to be experimental to be great but their more experimental albums happen to be their most interesting.

it just means that they're doing things pretty atypical of the genre they're in.
few other hip-hop releases (even among DG) have such a frenetic use of samples nor the odd time signatures like in Fuck Me Out
also just cause its not enjoyable to YOU doesn't mean it's not enjoyable

It became clear once BP came out, because everyone was saying it was "TMS 2.0" which it is, and you couldn't tell JD was that at the time, but in retrospect it makes sense next to BP.

So really what happens when we get to TPTB 2.0, is it gonna be another double album, how do you even evolve NOTM.

If that's their direction then a clear path is drawn for them to follow but at what point does improving on previous releases end. But for the time being I'm really excited for whatever comes next, they've been posting a bunch of shit so it's happening soon. Maybe in January.

the only way to subvert NOTM would be to make it an acoustic album.

Going to be really depressed if we go all of december without a single or something.

Holidays are so depressing, I want something from the grips to cheer me up.

NOTM is the pinnacle of Death Grips. By far the best sound they made.

We got Steroids, which I consider the best thing they've ever done next to NOTM. So I'm content for now.

But if they drop something before this year's out I'm gonna be gobsmacked.

So what does “Death Grips 2.0” mean? Why is it last on Jenny Death?

took a while for me to realize it, always loved it but I wasn't quite ready to call it their best. But 3 years later there's no doubt it is.

I think this is there most unique release in their discography, but not their most experimental.

What would be their most experimental then? I think Niggas On The Moon can be very inaccessible as times for people not into noise or experimental music

>noise
It's not even their most abrasive album though. Jenny Death takes that for having some literally "noise rock with break beats and rap on top" style tracks.
>experimental
It's not hard to go through structurally. Some of the sounds are very industrial and experimental electronic, but the main gist of the album comes from vocal samples so it's not inaccessible.

Man, I fucking love every DG album but this is the one I keep coming back to the most.

But what have they done that is more experimental? You can't really say that Government Plates is more experimental, because the song structures are more bare, it's not nearly as rhythmically complex, it doesn't really do anything that NOTM doesn't do but with way more depth. "Birds" is maybe the one exception there.

I'll give you that it isn't their most abrasive record, it sounds pretty crisp and clean. Nothing about the production and song composition on JD however is close to what is on notm.

so if it isn't the most experimental release of theirs, what is?

a lot of NOTM sounds, to me, like an organic autechre
it still blows my mind that it was played in real time

NOTM is more experimental and abrasive. and unique in the way of sampling and electronics. it's a masterpiece of both plunderphonics and innovative American electronic music and hiphop in general. Notice how nobody has still managed to get on the same level on abrasive and experimental hip hop other than death grips? They are pioneers and will be seen as a masterpiece in art and music in 20 years from now. I'm dead fucking serious.

I really hope that notm gets the recognition it deserves in the future. I mean, yeah the hardcore fans may circlejerk it to some extent but that's just a very vocal minority of fans. This record is what I hope they're remembered for 20 years from now, it really is an incredible achievement.

it's been corrected since then.

instagram.com/p/BZP1m9gAVw6/

Tell me this doesn't sound like some twisted take on NLDW. It does to me at least, all that fucking reverb and low end, and Ride being primal as fuck.

That sounds so fucking good I want it now

Their experimental music isn't experimental anymore??

Let me help build off of your autism with my own autism a bit. I completely agree that DG 2.0 is a basic re-do of their og album cycle, but it's also a continuation in another sense. Yes JD has much more punk and noise rock influence like EXM, but what's different? Instead of being based in industrial hip-hop we have an album centered in digital hardcore and synth punk. Moving onto BP yeah it's definitely their most accessible in release, concept, and sound since TMS. Here's the difference, TMS took the industrial hip-hop from EXM cleaned it up and polished it into something far more accessible. BP does the exact same thing except it has it's basis in not industrial hip-hop, but instead digital hardcore once again and even some electronic trap music (I'll be making a point on this in a second). So with Steroids having been released this year I think the next album will again be rooted in digital hardcore as their last 2 albums have been, but will take on some gabber, juke, and footwork influence.

This brings me to my larger point about what I think Death Grips 2.0 actually is. Whereas Death Grips 1.0 was a discography experimenting in industrial hip-hop, noise-hop, and glitch-hop being a primarily hip-hop rooted band, Death Grips 2.0 is an entirely different beast, focusing more on underground electronic styles like digital hardcore, synth punk, early trap, gabber, and footwork while still keeping the underlying noise rock and punk influence they've always had.

DON’T IT FEEL GOOD TO DRIVE A BUS?

Everyone's overthinking this. The powers that B was their climatic record up to this point. Bottomless Pit is a b sides collection and a much needed buffer so they can develop a new sound. Steroids is much closer to where I expect the band is stylistically now.

This is also a good theory

probably the most realistic theory i've heard

BP is too good to just be b-sides

What did they mean by this? Reminder that it's DG's 7th anniversary today.

Nirvana's B sides were better than their A sides. B sides dont instantly mean they're worse

how do we know they formed December 21st? We just know Thirdworlds was created at that time.

it won't lit

It's a final message to the album. After you're done listening to all the tracks "DG 2.0" plays, which gives you a new perspective on what JD was. People thought DG 2.0 meant that they were going to ascend to something else, but what it really meant was what the album was.

Death Grips is their own genre. In this sense they'll never make something bad because there's nothing to compare it to except for their previous works. But they set the bar and until someone else steps up all their albums will have a place.

This is DG we're talking about. They haven't really made a bad album let alone a song.

Why are you posting then?

>BP is TMS 2.0
not by a long shot

so this "theory" of yours is off

I think Zach might have mentioned it in an interview at one point

How the fuck does JD sound anything like ExM and BP sound like TMS?

I assume you've never listened to BP

It's literally their most accessible since The Money Store.

So? Doesn't mean it's TMS 2.0

The fans know it's their best so I couldn't be fucked to care what Pitchfork thinks. According to Pitchfork's scores DAMN > NOTM which is an objectively retarded opinion.

i assume you've never washed your ears

underrated release its onemost often go back to

I can't really agree with this. The production on that album is too fucking clean to just be B-sides.

This. Just listen to BB Poison and you won't really take anything that isn't more concrete from DG's social media that seriously again. Quit blueballing yourselves.

I love DG so fucking much but something happened to me recently. I can hear the sounds but they just feel like noises. All I can hear is a kick drum and hi hats instead of their pitch. Listening to a song used to be a very emotional thing for me, but not anymore. I can't feel the music. DG used to be the most powerful band for me in this regard but not even they can evoke emotion in me.
Fuck man, what happened.

DUDE DEPRESSION LMAO

Get drunk

overlistening perhaps

Unironically think it's this.
Doesn't work. Makes me feel more sober than being sober.
It's happened to every song, even new ones that I try to get into. And not just songs, it's with everything.

Eat some chicken pot pie

OMFG I JUST REALIZED ITS AN IPHONE THE COVER IS AN IPHONE. TECH = DEATH

THATS WHY ITS A CEMETARY

MARTYR FOR DOLLAR, PULL THE SLOT

you need to either take a break from music or get over it, i've been in similar funks. and yeah could be depression.

NOTM is definitely their most experimental release, from the basic concept of the album (using a woman's screams as instruments) to the cryptic as fuck lyrics and the general mystery that surrounded (and still surrounds) the album it's untopable

Could be depression.

I'm a huge DG fan, but you can't listen to it all the time. I listen to music based on mood or what I'm doing, and there's a time and a place for Death Grips.

If I keep coming back to it then I know I'm really into it, and I always do with them and it'll be a complete tear listening to every album over and over.

Damn
sure is reddit up in here

We're all in agreement that this is the correct ranking of the tracks, right?

1. Billy Not Really
2. Voila
3. Up My Sleeves
4. Black Quarterback
5. Big Dipper
6. Have A Sad Cum
7. Say Hey Kid
8. Fuck Me Out

and that top 4 are the best tracks in their discography.

cringe

>having an opinion this shit

pretty much but I would swap 4 and 5.

Check this shit out in the meantime
youtube.com/watch?v=zf99kdFw9b8

>every DG thread

fucking horrible

up my sleeves>have a sad cum>voila>say hey kid>big dipper>billy not really>black quarterback>fuck me out