What is dadrock, and why is it bad or worthy of mockery?

What is dadrock, and why is it bad or worthy of mockery?

Dad rock is a meme term. It doesn't mean anything.

Only soyboys use the term dadrock as a bad thing

zeppelin's true masterpiece coming through

"dadrock" if you're referring to rock music in the 70s, 80s and etc then it's a dumb blanket term used by idiots who have to put a label on everything

Joke's on you, I'm giving my parents BOTH for Christmas

along with some Suzanne Vega albums (they've recently gotten into her), some Jimi Hendrix albums, some Prince albums, the Blue Album, and (What's The Story) Morning Glory.

Daddy issues. I just call it rock

very nice user. have fun

This, OP is just a hugely low on testosterone where he cannot enjoy anything as high energy was what early punk and led zeppelin type of rock offers.

I was just asking what it was

Good taste

rock mostly enjoyed by dads

>there are 15 year old dads browsing Sup Forums right now

Nigger I'm 25 and my dad absolutely loves dad rock, like a pig in shit!

What do 15 year old fathers listen to though?

I always measured dadrock in terms to how close something is to safe radio rock

like a Momentary Lapse of Reason is a lot more dadrock than Piper despite being 20 years younger

foo fighters is more dad rock than Faust
like ac/dc would be a 10 on the dadrock scale,

Lil Pump

Old school rap

fuck AC/DC

I'd say it's a tossup between this and Houses of the Holy.

Quick, post favorite dadrock albums

Dadrock is just a meme term for what is formally known as AOR (album oriented rock) and stadium rock. It's not inherently bad, but I find some of the genre tropes annoying such as seemingly mandatory guitar solos, pretentious lyrics, and lazy rhythm sections.

Does the fact that Led Zeppelin are literally the sixth best selling band of all time take away their dad rock status considering they would have to be relevant for far longer than their own time to pull that off?

Classic rock had a resurgence a little over a decade ago so it's natural that the contrarion mindset of Sup Forums is against it

Correct.

It's what people who think old music is inherently bad because of its age call classic rock.

There's nothing wrong with it. The problem is with people who consider it to be the pinnacle of music and refuse to listen to anything else.

i remember when Sup Forums used to trash dadrock all the time, but now everybody seems pretty pro-dadrock

the music you like will soon be dadrock

Sup Forums are all teenagers who think anything old is uncool unless Pitchfork approves of it.

>Dadrock is just a meme term for what is formally known as AOR (album oriented rock) and stadium rock.

Indeed. The term lost all meaning when people started labeling pretty much ANY rock that is more than 20 years old "Dadrock."

Dadrock simply means safe and friendly radio rock that suburban Boomer dads transitioned into during the 70's after outgrowing their don't trust anyone over 30 phase.

Bob Seger is probably the quintessential dadrock music. Funny enough, his musical style underwent the exact same transition as the prototypical dadrocker. He used to hang out with the MC5 and cut some great protopunk/garage psych and then settled down into Old Time Rock and Roll and the like.

Fuck you

Fuck post-Bon Scott AC/DC

if not Pitchfork, then Tumblr

Apparently "dad rock" is stuff that my dad actually thought was too weird and edgy back in the 70s.

>What is dadrock
A normie meme
This board needs new memes

Right, honestly? In 2002 that was 25. Turning back the clock some 10-5 years? 1992-1997. Grunge was big, the second power pop wave hit big too with pop punk and power pop. 2pac and Notorious B.I.G also fall in line.