Daniel Lopatin

What does Sup Forums think of the man? Favorite projects of his? Least favorite? Personally I fucking adore R+7 and Garden of Delete

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VBP3otlHTAA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I really, really, REALLY want to hear him and Joel make another Ford & Lopatin album

Least favourite is probably Garden Of Delete, weirdly enough

Yeah, Ford & Lopatin album was great and no one really talks about it anymore.

Re: Lopatin solo, I still think the Rifts material is still his best stuff, along with the Chuck Person tape. Replica and Garden of Delete are real good too.

Where should I start with him?

Do as you like, this is an easy guideline. His catalogue is massive

Thanks!

>start with R+7
fucked whoever made this. stopped reading immediately

Ferraro is better.

>What does Sup Forums think of the man?
I like him, but I sometimes feel his prolific nature allows him to not put as much work as he can on a certain musical piece.
>Favorite Projects of his?
Garden of Delete slightly edges out R+7 and Rifts (if that counts) for me. It's so ridiculously dense and chaotic compared to his other works that it definitely took time for it to grow on me as my favorite from him so I can digest it all.
>Least favorite
Replica for me. This album kept me away from him for way too long, and I really don't like how so many of the tracks are so repetitive/unchanging. Before someone says "but this is minimalism you retard it's meant to be repetitive," even by those standards most Replica tracks don't introduce the slight variations that make such song structures interesting.

youtube.com/watch?v=VBP3otlHTAA
fucking love this video

It's a pretty good blend of everything he typically does. Samples, synths, cold soundscapes, has just about everything. Replica's an acceptable starting position too

good time soundtrack was so fucking good

>least favorite is Replica

oh god what. It's not even remotely minimalist, the songs are rich/dense as fuck with texture and subtle variation. The use of samples is unreal in this album. Plus how impressive it is in its own right how cohesive it sounds considering the range of sample and synth sources; the album is like it's own universe. I can't think of an actual fault

Daniel is the most based man on the planet

I want another R+7. Album is fucking transcendent in a way I just can't explain. It's much like Replica, in that it sounds like the audio form of a memorable dream, but the simple "cheesy" synth instruments just click so well. GoD was way too "hey look at me i'm quirky" and overly bombastic. R+7 Was the sweet spot between Replica's dreaminess and GoD's energy imo.

This. R plus 7 is my favorite by far. Everything about it is so perfect. I honestly believe that it's still way ahead of it's time. When people look back at opn's collection in the future I think it will be the one that stands out the most.

This guy looks like Sean Weaver

my boys. r+7 is a fucking masterpiece. I think Replica is my fav by a small margin tho

tfw fantano gave r+7 a lower score than Lil Pump's album

>not even remotely minimalist
Most of the songs are built on sheer repetition. A song like remember repeats the same damn thing while a new part slowly fades in. The good tracks like Sleep Dealer aren't that at all because of abrupt changes in it. Shit you even said subtle variation.
>the songs are rich/dense as fuck with texture and subtle variation
They aren't dense at all wtf are you on? Dan purposefully tried to not have more than four different layers per track, he was trying to keep it simple. That also means that things aren't allowed to get as textured. Also many tracks' variation is too damn subtle to be anything meaningful like the majority of Andro or Remember which are way too repetitive.
>The use of samples is unreal in this album. Plus how impressive it is in its own right how cohesive it sounds considering the range of sample and synth sources; the album is like it's own universe. I can't think of an actual fault
Sure there's nothing wrong with this. But none of this has to do with my problems related to structure. If most tracks were around half maybe a bit more than half their length they would be much better.

checked and yeah its comfy, did you follow the arg before GoD's release??

It's repetitive sure but it doesn't sound minimal to me in the same way that say, Steve Reich is. There's very little breathing space in Replica, it sounds so thick and organic, four tracks or not, I feel like it's just full to the brim of sound. I only ever listen to it if it's the only thing i'm doing though, it has to occupy most/all of my focus for enjoyment. I can't listen to it whilst doing other things like I can Rifts.

>Steve Reich is
No shit, because Reich's working in the space of classical music. It's not gonna be the same. Keep in mind that electronic music's repetitive structure was inspired and taken from minimalist composers.

I find that the stuff on Rifts so his pre-Replica stuff is even thicker and more organic since there's more moving parts that actually move around a lot more.

not even similar desu. What Ferraro era are you referring to if so?

I could die happy if him and Ford did another thing together.
Not that user but the ARG for GoD was really entertaining. It would be great if he did something similar for his next album but I doubt he will.

most music is already built on repetition as repetition is the foundational basis of music and its most fundamental principle

idk that "how good i can fold my laundry to it" is an accurate device for the measure of musical minimalism

no, its repetitive structure was taken from kraftwerk who in their turn took it from africa