Why do people listen to music critics?

I’m not memeing or just trying to shit on Fantano, this is legitimately something I don’t get it. I understand movie critics, because movies are between 2-3 hours long and watching a 5-10 minute review can help you see if you want to watch the movie or not. But I don’t get the point of music reviews. Songs are generally short, can’t you just listen to them and form your own conclusion?
For example, Death Grips released a song called Inanimate Sensation. It is 6:09 long. Anthony Fantano made a track review video of Inanimate Sensation, it’s 6:27 long. Why watch a six minute review of a song when you could just listen to a six minute song? If you like it, listen to it again. Music reviews just seem like a waste of time to me. Can anyone who likes them explain the appeal?

to see if it's worth a listen, just like any other critic

Honestly i just enjoy fantano's opinions and like getting someone else's perspective on something

Well you could spend 6:27 deciding, or you could just spend 6:09 listening. It seems like music criticism wastes time

I need validation that my music choices are accepted by the professionals who know more about music than me.

>For example, Death Grips released a song called Inanimate Sensation. It is 6:09 long. Anthony Fantano made a track review video of Inanimate Sensation, it’s 6:27 long.
>song
Therein lies a flaw. Critics review albums. Ones longer than 30 minutes. Sometimes, ones that take multiple attempts to understand fully, in terms of lyricism AND musical composition.

They are a relic of a time when music wasnt free, and people wanted some info about an album before they bought it. I dont think they serve a purpose in the modern age.

le ebic melon, ofc

I use Fantano for recs. I'd like to imagine other people do the same for him or other critics.

I just like listening to others' opinions after forming my own.

Hearing someone else's thoughts on music especially if there's some thought put into them can increase your enjoyment of it. Most critics focus on albums more than songs.

Also, what are some good places to go to find good music critique or journalism? The only respected ones I know of other than melon is P4k, which seems to place a lot of emphasis on mainstream appeal and cultural relevance, which I really don't care very much about

If you can find an archive somewhere, The Rolling Stone had some bang up shit back in the day.

>AFTER forming my own

Sure mate

You most likely don't have any friends that you can really discuss the merits of Death Grips with in person.

Sometimes I watch Fantano when I'm bored and taking a shit.

Makes the whole thing go by faster and it takes my mind off of the matter.

for the salt

This.
I mainly watch reviews because apart from the cancer that is Sup Forums there's no place for me to hear opinions about any music that isn't mainstream hip-hop

You only follow critics to see if their tastes line up with yours, then listen to more of what they recommend. Same with movies.

How long are your shits, bro?

It's like a talking to a friend about music simulator for me.

I don't understand how anyone can take fantano seriously after he gave lil dump and kendrick the same score.

I actually actually actually like Fantano and think he has the most right opinions out of anyone out there. He understands music

Christgau...eh...he has the right idea about what makes for a good song (structure, momentum, and expressiveness) but he has never been able to figure metal out. It goes completely over his head.

idk im too lazy to find new music half the time so i just check the score given and listen to it

You should only listen to critics who have similar taste to you.

I watch Fantano for entertainment value more than for discovering new music. He doesn't really cover much interesting music anyways.

>You should only listen to critics who have similar taste to you.
>Never ever venture out into stuff you don't know or rely on someone else to do it for you
and back to Sup Forums you go

Plebs think listening to one song once is enough

You don't know shit about your enjoyment of an album until you've heard it through twice

That's why a review is much quicker

why twice...? thats such a specific number still
for some albums you only need to listen to once to realise i'ts trash and for others it takes maybe even more than 5 listens to fully appreciate

It was a lower bound yeah

a good critic won't tell you whether or not to watch/listen/read something, otherwise they're just advertisements

a good critic should assume the reader/viewer/listener has already engaged with the material, and proffer their own thoughts.

engaging with the critic in such a conversation can deepen our own appreciation for the material, and shine new light on aspects of the material we may have missed

tl;dr critics aren't meant to be advertising shit

This, however, expansive lists are nice to get new recs and reviews can help you get a good idea of a reviewer so you know whether or not their recommendations are any good

That said, the only reviews I read are when I'm going through RYM to find new albums that catch my eye and find myself caught between choosing five or six out of a dozen choices that all have like thirty ratings or less and in those cases, a short review is very valuable for me to just decide if tracking down some obscure album is worth the effort or not

>What is this shit?

--_BEGIN TRANSMISSION DEATHBOT 7000~*

Page 107

>extrapolates question to "why do people listen to the anyone who academically studies and writes about art?"

Your high school art teacher probably also has some valid opinions. It's people wanting to feel like they are a part of something mostly. They all look for their cult. People should be judged on the type of people they are not their politics or how cool they are or what they might deem as good or bad art. Critics seem safe to the common consumer class model programmed citizen with today's software diet.

Life is about experiences and how deep you go with them. It's also about keeping your body and self safe. If you marry the biological imperative of survival to our lust for discovery you no longer ever question why this happens with humans. People who follow critics have a voice through the critic somehow or an alternate assemblaged metalife or avatar through their loyalty. Critics are also the foundations for some people's virtual self constructs or personal avatars. Those virtual selves promote the patterns that effect the individuals path. Few take certain paths. Some are there own unique path.

Some paths are only walked once. They are.

There is comfort in building your own path with a foundation based on other people's paths. Choose your own adventure time space.

>If you still feel like you need more information go to page 198.

>If you feel as though you understand it full go to page 37.

>the merits of Death Grips
lmao

Criticism is important to every industry.
Fantano isn't a critic - he doesn't analyse work based on measurable criteria.
If you are not involved in an industry then critical theory regarding it has no relevance to you. I don't know why anyone gives attention to guys like Fantano since there's literally nothing to gain from him.

People need other people to tell them what to like, to buy, to consume, w/e.

this. Doesn't mean I take it as the word of god

I don't feel he reviews anything that I'm not already aware of so he is of no use to me as far as recommendations go.

to see if he likes it? and to make myself feel better about myself. like i think the new metro boomin big sean is better than the brock hampton shit but he thinks opposite, and i think im better than him for that lol

music critics are fuken twats, that's why we run a music club for open discussions etc. ---> yTZUJa

I don't routinely follow music critics in general. I used to read pitchfork from the 90s until like 2002 and they introduced me to a lot of stuff. I actually enjoy seeing Scaruffi's opinion because his perspective is interesting to me. I also like hearing Chris Ott's opinions quite a bit. For recommendations I think Scaruffi and Dereckvon on YouTube are good, but I wouldn't call Derek a critic.