/Jazz/ thread

Let's school the normies and winter posters of Sup Forums on real jazz. NO FUSION allowed.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6cef88F_uiw
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mary-halvorson-quartet/paimon-the-book-of-angels-volume-32/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mary-halvorson-octet/away-with-you/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/masayuki_takayanagi_阿部薫/mass_projection__集団投射/
mega.nz/#F!cuAQWYpK!AsQgLuIOGKBFPAppGexYhw
youtube.com/watch?v=j67G4-hTdrY
youtube.com/watch?v=A8QoPKgSI20
youtube.com/watch?v=erPiOGFH0Hk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Miles Davis is good. Pat Metheny's use of scale mixing is good.

OP here, I'm making a chart and I'm trying to go with not to obvious choices. Let me know what you think when I post it.

>tfw only real jazz that ever fully clicked with me was Mingus

Anyone else I might like if I like Mingus?

Listen to Eric Dolphy and Ornette Coleman. what albums by Mingus do you like the most?

Duke Ellington, possibly Art Tatum's jazz versions of works by the likes of Debussy, Massenet and Rubinstein.

I've only really listened to Mingus Ah Um and The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady

I've actually had Out to Lunch in my backlog for probably 3-4 years so maybe I'll try that. I'll look into Coleman too.

Funny, Money Jungle is another one of those rare jazz records that really stuck with me, so maybe I'll check out more Duke. Thanks senpai.

Listen to The NutCracker Suite, it's the prefect time it's like a jazz arrangement of the Tchikovsky music. It's by duke, he was like a precursor to Mingus work.

I love Christmas music so I'm definitely gonna check that out. Thanks.

>no fusion allowed
>posts ornette

>posts picture Broken Shadows
>Recorded the same time as Science Fiction
>Free Jazz record not Fusion record
youtube.com/watch?v=6cef88F_uiw

>Ascenseur

Legit not a good record in itself. It represents the shift to a new style for Davis, which is cool, but its just not a good record. Its a collection of interesting, but unexplored ideas.

this is so ridiculously good!

Recommendations for you two.
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mary-halvorson-quartet/paimon-the-book-of-angels-volume-32/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mary-halvorson-octet/away-with-you/

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/masayuki_takayanagi_阿部薫/mass_projection__集団投射/
The most orgasmic and sexually charged album I've ever heard. Bonus points for it being one of the most abrasive albums ever recorded.

Best relaxing/studying jazz?

Fuck off back to YouTube

I'll check it out, but that's free improvisation not jazz.

I have wanted to hear this, but can't find a torrent or mp3 of it. I don't wanna pay until I hear it, Zorn's put out so much trash lately I need to hear before I buy with him.

and yeah I mean I'll give you it has low points, but I was trying to pick stuff that wasn't as obvious you know. Not the same records you see anytime anyone posts jazz. But I did enjoy it, but I can see it not being the best album I have posted.

I have this on my jazz playlist on Spotify to listen to this winter.

Cool Jazz most likely.

I've been trying to think of something but at this point I can't listen to jazz while doing much else, it just takes me over. Try some New Orleans stuff.

>I have this on my jazz playlist on Spotify to listen to this winter.
Essentially the same as me user, I've been partaking in a backlog dive for the last weeks of 2017. Primarily Avant-garde/Free Jazz, found some good stuff in general.
Finally got around to listening to Anthony Braxton after putting him off for a very long time - For Alto, fucking blew my mind.
But Repent appeared In my backlog after going through various Free/Spiritual Jazz lists on RYM, and it's just so god damn good. Essentially reignited the flame for discovering obscure Free Jazz again.

>I have wanted to hear this, but can't find a torrent or mp3 of it. I don't wanna pay until I hear it, Zorn's put out so much trash lately I need to hear before I buy with him.
mega.nz/#F!cuAQWYpK!AsQgLuIOGKBFPAppGexYhw
This is worth it for Mary Halvorson alone, trust me.

I usally consume the most jazz in winter and into spring and classical the rest of the year. With easier music in between so I don't get tired or over extered (if that makes sense). Like too much of something in a certain period of time makes you almost numb to it. But I never was album to get into Anthony, maybe it's my bias against his graphic scores but For Alto had good moments and Donna Lee also did. His 70's out put isn't bad, but I don't really go head over heals for him the way I do Eric Dolphy or now (I've been checking out more George Russell). But yeah, I have so many jazz and classical records still to hear. I'm glad it's winter and I have the time to.

Hm. Dixieland stuff, stride or Free Jazz.

I've only listened to Braxton's version of Impressions and I was hooked. That and people claiming he can't play, while sharing the stage with Chick Corea, Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette. That has almost always been a guarantee for something extraordinary for me.

>I'll check it out, but that's free improvisation not jazz.
It's free improvisation/free jazz. Kaoru Abe isn't far removed from Braxton, trust me - you want this.

I get what your saying. I think it's more like the, oh you can act but you don't act often type deal. Like if a really good singer only picks easy songs to sing or songs that aren't pushing them. I think his whole thing is more techinques vs writing when he plays originals. Does that make sense?

also thank you desu, I will check this out later on tonight :)

>I think it's more like the, oh you can act but you don't act often type deal
Free jazz requires constant acting in your analogy, as it is very physically demanding to play.
youtube.com/watch?v=j67G4-hTdrY
youtube.com/watch?v=A8QoPKgSI20
youtube.com/watch?v=erPiOGFH0Hk
It's not always atonal either. I can't wait to listen to the man properly.

Maybe that was a bad analogy. And it wasn't a knock against free jazz. Yeah I think it depends. I don't know I can't speak for other people. But yeah I'm not gung ho on him but he's fine. I prefer the 60's era free jazz