Is this trilogy a flawed masterpiece?
What went so wrong with the last one?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2WbBeTz8oO0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Matrix: 9/10
Reloaded: 5/10
Revolutions: 2/10

instead of exploring the concepts introduced in the first film they went all in on action sequences and shitty cgi fight scenes, not to mention half of the third film was a fucking mech battle

The Animatrix was infinitely better than the sequels

I think it's mostly the annoyance that people got with how they chose to resolve the trilogy.
Matrix 1 and 2 we're insane kung fu movies that were really an excuse for crazy CGI and hamfisted spiritual and philosophical filler.
The last movie really didnt have any "action" per say like the first two which was already a big down from the previous too.
Remember people's reaction to kill bill 2 because there wasnt the same level of insane over the top action?
They resolve the movie in an unconventional way.
They didnt go full happy american ending good guys winning by crushing enemy.
They went with, ambiguous weird white dude sitting in chair making deal and talking about seven different versions of matrixes.

This confused and angered a lot of people because it was half-assed (in my opinion) and it wasnt what people we're expecting/wanted.

It's a flawed.

I had a big reply typed out but lost it.

The third one sucks for a lot of reasons but basically it fails because its a smaller film with no sense of wonder, mystery, or world expansion like the first two movies. The only interesting part of the film, the train station, is handled very quickly. We then spend nearly an hour without any main character in a movie that completely ditches one of them(morpheus). None of the interesting concepts brought up in the second film are ever expanded on. Most of them are outright ignored and the few that get screentime, like smith in the real world, are handled with such clumsiness that they barely register. The first two films blow our minds with other worlds and endless possibilities, the third film shrinks it all down to a battle in a cave and a fist fight.

Reboot when?

I like all 3 movies. That's right, all three. Wanna fight about it?
Flawed masterpiece for sure

First one ends perfectly.

First movies are best movies. Get in here before someone mentions Aliens.

I prefered the Animatrix.
When an animated spinoff does more interesting things with the source material than the original trilogy, something is very wrong somewhere.

did anyone else really hate how revolution is just reloaded part 2? an extension of an already shitty film?

I would've preferred "The Second Renaissance" to be its own standalone live action movie, so much wasted potential

brother?

>What went so wrong with the last one?
They had to write it themselves.

W H A T · I S · T H E · M A T R I X ? · F O L L O W · T H E · W H I T E · R A B B I T · Y O U · A R E · M Y · P E R S O N A L · J E S U S · C H R I S T · Y O U · N E E D · T O · U N P L U G · W H A T · I S · R E A L ? · O U R · W A Y · O R · T H E · H I G H W A Y · I · T H O U G H T · Y O U · W E R E · A · M A N · W H A T · G O O D · I S · A · P H O N E C A L L · I F · Y O U · A R E · U N A B L E · T O · S P E A K ? · W H E N · Y O U · A R E · R E A D Y · Y O U · W I L L · N O T · N E E D · T O · D O D G E · B U L L E T S · T H E R E · I S · A · D I F F E R E N C E · B E T W E E N · K N O W I N G · T H E · P A T H · A N D · W A L K I N G · T H E · P A T H · T H E R E · I S · N O · S P O O N · M I S T E R · A N D E R S O N · W E L C O M E · B A C K · C O O K I E S · N E E D · L O V E · D O D G E · T H I S · F O R · Z I O N ! · R E D · P I L L · B L U E · P I L L · N O T · L I K E · T H I S · N O T · L I K E · T H I S · I · K N O W · K U N G · F U · I F · Y O U · A R E · K I L L E D · I N · T H E · M A T R I X · Y O U · D I E · H E R E ? · D O · Y O U · T H I N K · T H A T · T H A T · I S · A I R · T H A T · Y O U · A R E · B R E A T H I N G ? · T R I N I T Y · H E L P ! · W H O A · N E O · I · B E L I E V E · S I R · W E · A L R E A D Y · L O S T · T H E · D O C K · W E · H A V E · B E C O M E · E X C E E D I N G L Y · E F F I C I E N T · A T · I T · T O N I G H T · L E T · U S · S H A K E · T H I S · C A V E · E R G O · Y O U · H A V E · A L R E A D Y · M A D E · T H E · C H O I C E · I · H A V E · D R E A M E D · A · D R E A M · B U T · N O W · T H A T · D R E A M · I S · G O N E · F R O M · M E · V I S · À · V I S · W H Y · M I S T E R · A N D E R S O N · W H Y ? · W H A T · D O · Y O U · T H I N K · I · A M · H U M A N ? · N E O · W H E R E V E R · Y O U · A R E · T H A N K · Y O U

Second Renaissance was beautiful, especially when they showed the time when machines started winning against humans.

Still don't understand why they though blocking out the sun was a good idea to kill the machines when it kills off plant life as well.

The first film is a flawed masterpiece,the other two are dog shit

If you pause that clip at the right frame, you can see one of the animators slipped a picture of a nude woman in

they loved putting gay ass new characters that nobody liked into the sequels. train man? chinese guy that neo fights on a picnic table?

The second also went wrong.

The followups were very depressing in terms of the story with Neo & co. basicly learning that there is no way out of the Matrix and slavery.

The ending was kinda disappointing with that stalemate situation.

I feel the same

>that fight in revolutions where a guy literally does nothing but flips and then they shoot him

youtu.be/2WbBeTz8oO0

EVERY TIME

Movies suck.

I liked when they flew through the cloud cover

Would like to see a prequel to the first Matrix, showing Thomas A. Anderson's life.
Directed by either Christopher Nolan or David Fincher.

Best part of the movie desu

People complain that the end of Revolutions didn't make any sense but if you even a little bit about Zen Buddhism and Dualism it really isn't very confusing.

Hell, the Wachowskis literally tell you what happened at the end of that shitty Path of Neo game.

bump

The first movie told an original but flawed story. The sequels crapped all over it.

How is the Animatrix?

just fucking watch it retard, everyone ever has liked it, for fuck's sake

> They didnt go full happy american ending good guys winning by crushing enemy.

They fucked up the true ending

It stopped being about the matrix and started being about evil robots destroying BBC multicultural paradise named Zion

got quite pissed about the laws of physics being disrespected in the third movie. Became a fantasy genre rather than sci-fi and that threw me off

*being disrespected outside of the matrix, I should add

it became a shitty war movie, and whatever you thought the outcome of neo v smith was going to be, you still knew that zion would be saved, so it was a fucking pointless waste of time.

>Is this trilogy a flawed masterpiece?
yes and no.

yes that its flawed, no to masterpiece

the trilogy was unenjoyable trash, poo, shit. worse than a steaming literal pile of dog crap.

nothing sounds worse than being forced into a chair to watch the matrix movies, nothing. that sounds like literal hell.

Matrix 1 felt realistic to me in an aesthetic sense. The other two are too slick and overproduced. But that's a minor point compared to the writing.

The main issue the stories of 2 and 3 have besides having bad ideas in them is the fact that Neo is no longer a good protagonist. We needed someone else to connect with, after Neo became thet one. Because after he became the one there was no tension any more. Of course he's going to succeed at whatever he's going to do because he's internet jesus and can do anything.

Besides all that there's just way too much dumb bullshit in there like the albino twins, the merovingian (a bit), etc. and that and the overemphasis on action drowned out whatever good ideas there were buried in the writing, like the revelation about the prophecy.

it's also silly to me that people focus so much on the architect. He talked like a ponce maybe but he was well written and they actually introduced new ideas with him. Of course they failed to exploit those ideas to a good enough degree but I digress.

>Besides all that there's just way too much dumb bullshit in there like the albino twins, the merovingian
That was somegreat worldbuilding though. I think they had a lot of concepts that didn't make it to the final edit. I reamember Bellucci talking about her character before the movie was released, talking about how her character was an energy/emotional vampire that was more integral to the plot then she ended up being. I also think the merovingian was supposed to be a former iteration of the one.

I think they just bit offmore than they could chew.

You hit the nail on the head.

matrix 1: neo becomes a god in the matrix
matrix 2: hmm, upgrades

> Is this trilogy a flawed masterpiece?
Yes.

> What went so wrong with the last one?
Everything.

Are you kidding? Reloaded was nothing but an info dump. When people weren't fighting it was just yakking and yakking about philosophy, the history of the matrix, more beings within the matrix, etc.

they had about 2-3 years prep time on the first movie. They made both the sequels in less that 14 months. All that while working on the Anime with Makoto Shinkai and writing a comic book. Not to mention the numerous stuff they produced. Honestly, the second and third were not supposed to resolve the trilogy, it was supposed to be a pt 2. (Reloaded even says to be continued, then is continued in Revolutions) Part 3 never happened due to bad sales.