I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease...

>I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease. That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge. He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic.

What did Orson Welles mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

vulture.com/2013/06/orson-welles-lunch-with-henry-jaglom.html
youtube.com/watch?v=7uWW--w4SRs
youtube.com/watch?v=QW-kIq5ONL4
youtube.com/watch?v=ksmjh8LL2zA
youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I think he means that he hates Woody Allen

Meek Pride World Wide

He never smiles. He is a fucking hater. I don't like Woody, but this fucking guy is a hater. He did Citizen Kane... Great fucking deal. Fuck off!

It means he was 90% redpilled on the jews.

I think Woody Allen would agree with everything he said

fugg, hits too close to home. i don't mean to compare myself to woody fucking allen since i'm a talentless zero, but what he describes is precisely how I feel.

>Orson Welles
>having any moral to talk about arrogance on others

He's still riqht, thoq

>To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world-a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups.

More self-imposed beta males need to understand they're not being cute.

>Never smiles

MWUUUUUAHHHAAAAAAA THE FRENSCHHH.... CHAMPAYNE

Fuck off Woody.

He described perfectly the mind of a kike.

Got me brah!

This whole interview is based as fuck. Orson is old and drunk and it's the 80's and he just shits on everyone on the planet except for his dead friends who of course were perfect angels

vulture.com/2013/06/orson-welles-lunch-with-henry-jaglom.html

>Let me tell you a story about George Jean Nathan, America’s great drama critic. Nathan was the tightest man who ever lived, even tighter than Charles Chaplin. And he lived for 40 years in the Hotel Royalton, which is across from the Algonquin. He never tipped anybody in the Royalton, not even when they brought the breakfast, and not at Christmastime. After about ten years of never getting tipped, the room-service waiter peed slightly in his tea. Everybody in New York knew it but him. The waiters hurried across the street and told the waiters at Algonquin, who were waiting to see when it would finally dawn on him what he was drinking! And as the years went by, there got to be more and more urine and less and less tea. And it was a great pleasure for us in the theater to look at a leading critic and know that he was full of piss. And I, with my own ears, heard him at the ‘21’ complaining, saying, “Why can’t I get tea here as good as it is at the Royalton?” That’s when I fell on the floor, you know.
It sure is

He hates Woody Allen and pieces of shit like him, this has nothing to do with hating introverted people.
Let's get this out of the way so we can stop repeating the same thread all the time.

>This triggers The self deprecating Andrew Jackson jihad fan

Fuck off special snowflake faggot

>old and drunk and it's the 80's and he just shits on everyone on the planet

Living the dream

Same here, lol. Well, fuck you too, Orson.

What the fuck.

He's not talking about introverted people you dumb fuck, he's talking specifically about woody allen.

We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every July, peas grow there.” Do you really mean that?
>Uh, yes, so in other words, I–I’d start half a second later.
Don’t you think you really want to say “July” over the snow? Isn’t that the fun of it?
>It’s–if–if you can, if you can make it almost when that shot disappears, it’ll make more
I think it’s so nice that–that you see a snow-covered field and say “every July peas grow there”. “We know a remote farm in Lincolnshire, where Mrs. Buckley lives. Every July, peas grow there.” We aren’t even in the fields, you see?
>Y-yeah
We’re talking about them growing and she’s picked them. (clears throat) What?
>…in July.
I don’t understand you, then. When must–what must be over for “July”?
>Uh, when we get out of that snowy field–
Well, I was out! We were onto a can of peas, a big dish of peas when I said “in July”.
>Oh, I’m sorry, Orson.
Yes, always. I’m always–past that!
>Y-You are?
Yes! Wh–that’s about where I say “in July”.
>Can you emphasize a bit “in”? “In July.”
Why? That doesn’t make any sense. Sorry. There’s no known way of saying an English sentence in which you begin a sentence with “in” and emphasize it. Get me a jury and show me how you can say “in July” and I’ll… go down on you. That’s just idiotic, if you’ll forgive me by saying so.
That’s just stupid. “In July”?
I’d love to know how you emphasize “in” in “in July”… Impossible! Meaningless

>I think all they were thinking about was that they didn’t want to
He isn’t thinking.
>t was my fault. I should–I said “in July”. If you could leave “every July”–
You didn’t say it. He said it. Your friend. “Every July”?
>so after this shot
No, you don’t really mean “every July”?
>i-it is, but it’s…
But that’s bad copy. It’s in July. Of course it’s every July!

There’s too much directing around here

He means that Woody Allen is a fucking pedo but Orson can't say anything about it because he knows his legacy would be destroyed by Hollywood.

is he describing woody allen or me?

BRAIN DOES THE BEST SPOOF ON ORSON WELLES

youtube.com/watch?v=7uWW--w4SRs
ITS META COMEDY ABOUT VOICE ACTING COMING FROM ANOTHER VOICE ACTOR

>Richard Burton comes to the table.

>Richard Burton: Orson, how good to see you. It’s been too long. You’re looking fine. Elizabeth is with me. She so much wants to meet you. Can I bring her over to your table?

>O.W.: No. As you can see, I’m in the middle of my lunch. I’ll stop by on my way out.

>Burton exits.

>H.J.: Orson, you’re behaving like an asshole. That was so rude.

>O.W.: Do not kick me under the table. I hate that. I don’t need you as my conscience, my Jewish Jiminy Cricket. Especially do not kick my boots. You know they protect my ankles. Richard Burton had great talent. He’s ruined his great gifts. He’s become a joke with a celebrity wife. Now he just works for money, does the worst shit. And I wasn’t rude. To quote Carl Laemmle, “I gave him an evasive answer. I told him, ‘Go fuck yourself.’”

Holy fuck

>"shedoesn'tdoanything?"
>stares into the distance
>taps fingers on table

what did he mean by this?

Orson Wells literally explains what a nu-male is

>tfw you realized you're Woody Allen

MWAAAAAAAH

The frenshampain...hasalwaysbeencelebrated for it' sexcellence

user, I really really like this daring synthesis of memes

youtube.com/watch?v=QW-kIq5ONL4

>O.W.: In common with all Protestant or Jewish cultures, America was developed on the idea that your word is your bond. Otherwise, the frontier could never have been opened, ’cause it was lawless. A man’s word had to mean something. My theory is that everything went to hell with Prohibition, because it was a law nobody could obey. So the whole concept of the rule of law was corrupted at that moment. Then came Vietnam, and marijuana, which clearly shouldn’t be illegal, but is. If you go to jail for ten years in Texas when you light up a joint, who are you? You’re a lawbreaker. It’s just like Prohibition was. When people accept breaking the law as normal, something happens to the whole society. You see?
Fucking based

>tfw I always thought that this picture was the dad from Fresh Prince

>blah blah blah dude weed lmao

what a based man oh my god

Fuck am I Woody Allen? How do I free myself?

What does Welles mean when he says "It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest."

He might have been an ass but Orson Welles had every right to be an arrogant ass.

>the emperor's usual tea

HE HAS A POINT ABOUT CASUAL LAW BREAKING OF NANNY LAWS LEADING TO THE BREAKDOWN OF RULE OF LAW AS A CONCEPT

Shutup retard

because of this new culture of self deprecating people he can't be himself. Otherwise he would look like an asshole.

Damn. That is an acute observation.

>tfw this describes you perfectly

WELL THEN THE ONLY SOLUTION IS TO KYS YOURSELF

>H.J.: You knew Roosevelt, right?
>O.W.: Yes, I kept him up too late. He liked to stay up and talk, you see. He was free with me. I didn’t need to be manipulated. He didn’t need my vote. He used to say, “You and I are the two best actors in America.”

>delusional old faggot talks shit about other people
>OOHH WOW WHAT A BASED MAN *wets panties*

pathetic

>it was a great pleasure for us in the theater to look at a leading critic and know that he was full of piss

XD

Woody Allen is one of the all time great joke writers. Doesn't he get a pass too?

don't fucking type red pilled. jesus christ. stop using childish neologisms.

Hi Woody

Orson was a generic drunk that had to sing for his supper at the end like the piece of shit he ended up being.

O HE MAD

THERE WAS NOTHING GENERIC ABOUT ORSON WELLES
youtube.com/watch?v=ksmjh8LL2zA

IF HE DECIDED TO GO OUT FAT AND DRUNK HE'S ALLOWED

>special snowflake
half of Sup Forums must feel like that

>Citizen Kane is Welles' most significant contribution to film

he was being facetious, you might have autism

ding ding ding winner

Who else here really liked Orson's role as The Shadow ?
This is how I came to know him and became a fan.
I like his radio work just as much as his film work.

Mwaah the woody allen has always been noted for his arrogance

ORSON REACHED THE TOP IN RADIO, THEATER AND FILM AS BOTH ACTOR AND DIRECTOR

THEN HE DID PAYCHECK COMMERCIALS COMPLETELY SHITFACED

ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Anyone have the quotes where Welles shits on Alfred Hitchcock and Vertigo? Because he's spot on.

>He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is unlimited.
How did he know

>He may not take criticism particularly well, but Welles sure dishes it out. In one his more shocking rants, Welles takes major issue with Alfred Hitchcock’s movies. While he admires the director’s earlier British efforts — particularly “The 39 Steps” — the American efforts for which Hitchcock was best known strike Welles as being held back by “egotism and laziness.”

>Specifically, Welles takes issue with “Rear Window” (“Everything is stupid about it…[Jimmy Stewart] is kind of looking to the left and giving as bad a performance as he ever gave”) — before taking even greater issue with “Vertigo.” “That’s worse,” Welles says. “I think he was senile a long time before he died.”

>"I've never understood the cult of Hitchcock. Particularly the late American movies... Egotism and laziness. And they're all lit like television shows. I saw one of the worst movies I've ever seen the other night ['Rear Window'], complete insensitivity to what a story about voyeurism could be.

What a cunt.

>Orson Welles once said to me at lunch, “The enemy of art is the absence of limitations.” Economically and creatively that’s the most important advice you can be given. You have limitations; you don’t have $1-million to blow up that bridge, so you have to create something else on film to produce the same effect. Instead of having money to hire hundreds of extras, you have to sneak a cameraman in a wheelchair through the streets of New York City and steal the shot, which gives you a look of much greater reality.

He's completely right on this as well.
Imagine how Orson would react to seeing the modern state of film.

LMAO "DUDE WEED LMAO"
Kill yourself cunt, honestly weed is fine, the fact you cant enjoy pulling a billy shows you are a massive faggot

Weird how many great filmmakers have odd taste. cf. pic related's love of Avatar and cable tv shows like Mr. Robot.

how you know?

He mentioned liking Mr. Robot on a podcast in February and Avatar was on his list of films submitted to Sight & Sound for their once-a-decade poll.

I feel it too
You should look annie hall because that's a great description of the main character

>muh peas

>unironically enjoys the work of Adam Sandler and Christoper Nolan

Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa gh

>mistaking PTA for a great filmmaker

>He did the best movie of all time... Great fucking deal.

desu it goes as followed... Chaplin>Wells>Allen, & I adore me some Woody Allen.

>The Master isn't top 5 of the 21st century thus far

Damn, this makes me want to read an entire book about Wells.

Haven't seen it and have no plans to do so. Too many other things to watch.

this is incredible

>I'm one of millions of retards and redditors with awful taste

We know, no one cares.

You do realize Lars von Trier owns two of those 5 spots?

A Seperation has to be up there, & then I throw in a righteous Haneke.

Mauriche LaMarche, who voices Brain, also voices Orson Welles in "The Critic".
youtube.com/watch?v=6i7ycxiog40

Damn, this thread made me respect Welles more.

>what follows is a terrifying journey into the world of probate, beneficiaries and GOBLINS

this show was so underrated

Orson telling it like it is, as usual. Woody's a disgusting, perverse hack and also a sociopath.

>unironically enjoys the work of Adam Sandler and Christoper Nolan

That makes him a Sup Forums patrician.

HAHAHAHAHAAAA

Although that doesn't go for all shy, quiet people, it certainly fits Woody Allen perfectly.

I couldn't agree more.

>listening to a drunk

>not listening to a drunk

Hack?

Who did he steal from?

I greatly think you virgems are undervaluing Woody's actual talent

t. a MDE believer

Every time I see this I'm reminded of everything I hate about modern Sup Forums. No one even tries to be subtle.