What are the true absolute essential albums of electronic music?

What are the true absolute essential albums of electronic music?

Other urls found in this thread:

eumusic.bandcamp.com/album/tuner
youtube.com/watch?v=1PEpheUrdJs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illbient
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

here's one

this one

really such a dogshit chart, it's no wonder people on this board don't think electronic music is good

postan another

What are you on about? It's a pretty solid intro chart. Could use some SAW2 and Analogue Bubblebath though.

it's really crap and obsolete, looks like it was made by an idiot who just watched videos for ideas

Alright genius, let's see your 'patrician' chart then

you're going to defend a chart with fatboy slim? and fucking PRODIGY? this is like a shitty virgin record store 90's electronic section without any checks as to whether it should even be called bleep - what the fuck is portishead on here, you might as well have OK Computer if you're gonna put them on here, it's as much electronic music as them. this is an outdated dogshit chart. fucking photek, get the fuck outta here

did you just seriously thrash portishead and photek

The Fat Of The Land is an essential electronic album. The fact that it was popular doesn't change that.

portishead is not bleep
stuck in the 90s

This one's definitely a pleb filter.

that guy's obviously baiting
I've listened to most of the albums on that chart, it's a pretty solid chart imo

also for fuck's sake extend beyond 90s, some of the best came immediately after and why have squarepusher but not big loada if you call it bleep. why no chiastic slide or lp5 for autechre? it's like deliberately giving someone an impression that all electronic music sounds dated and trapped in 90's sound and hiding all the albums from that time that don't sound dated

if you're going to have all that rock-infused electronic or trip hop then you should have NIN because they did some of the very best bleep in the 90's

Make a chart for us plebs then :)

how about you do it since you're so buttmad bub

desperately in need of lawrence but better and at least good for its genre and not so bullshit broad like the shitty bleep worthless all over the place chart

Gridlock - Formless

i don't want to wreck that chart, there are gems and i'm not really trying to altogether shit on the novelty of acts like chemical brothers etc. but ya have to sort of have some consistency. how the fuck can tricky be on the same general bleep as aphex twin, there is no comparison. tricky is not electronic music, give me a break. and prodigy is more like pop music that happens to use electronic shit, might as well put britney spears on here. i'm saying narrow it down and expand it to include early 2000s. or do two charts, one for more pop flavor and one for more instrumental and weird shit like autechre but don't lump them together. you know i'm right

i think the chart has a decent balance of popular, influential, and just straight up good stuff on it. but sure, you could definitely make multiple charts
maybe I should make one someday

>prodigy is more like pop music that happens to use electronic shit
They're actually Big Beat and Breakbeat. Not even close to Pop.

Ed Harrison- NeoTokyo
Still blows my mind that this is a video game sound track.

some missing albums off the top of my head that could be for either/or version of more pop-infused vocal electronic or just weird shit - 90s or 2000s

U.N.K.L.E. - Psyence Fiction (in the fantasy world where trip hop and hip hop electronic shit can be on your chart - also where is DJ Shadow? and why is he not allowed if Tricky and Massive Attack are-)

Jega - Geometry
EU - Tuner
Bork - Vespertine
mum - Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today Mu Eats My Ass Out
Ken Ishii - Jelly Tones
Lawrence - The Night Will Last Forever
APhex - drukqs
AFX- Analord series
The Tuss - Rushup Cunt
Miss Kittin - I Com
Goldfrapp- Black Cherry
Ceephax - Self-titled
Seefeel - Polyfusia
Luke Vibert - YOseph
u-zip - Lunatic Harness (fuck Royal Astronomy, that is sell-out horseshit)
damn if you have Depeche Mode - Violator then you should have NIN - Broken or The Downward Spiral or fucking something, they are the same as Depeche Mode or Aphex Windowlicker is better than so much on that chart
Clark - Body Riddle (or another of his?)
Brothomstates - Claro
Oval - Diskont
Kid 606 or Richard Devine wouldn't hurt

keep the sort of electronic weirdness in one stack and then put the more vocal/band-sounding shit plus trip-hop and general more normie electronic in another and then entirely in another chart have all the stars of the lid , fennesz etc. ambient

dam nigga u triggered

Do you know what "triggered" means?

I used to drink 40oz steel reserves and listen to that album on repeat back in 2010 - 2011

Shame that the game itself is kinda crappy and no one plays it hardly

The trailer though ...

>Ken Ishii
>Jelly tones
>not Future in Light

yes a bit and also happy to share some shit. EU - Tuner is an EP by a Russian duo that is the most underrated electronic music from 2002, you have to get it - it used to be on CD, now it's FREE
skip the first track, get into the beats, it's insanely good
eumusic.bandcamp.com/album/tuner

also

Jimmy Edgar has awesome electronic music
Gescom is quality, particularly ISS:SA

also don't forget this

i think i do since this straight up said he was lmao fuck off soyboi

I definitely agree, it is a shame that a soundtrack this good got paired up with somewhat of a underwhelming game. Honestly, it blows a lot of modern electronic as well as recommended "\mu\ core" out of the water IMO.

shit youtube quality but this is some underrated jimmy edgar shit that fucking jams

never met anybody who has heard this
youtube.com/watch?v=1PEpheUrdJs

>stuck in the 90s
no fucking shit it's a 90's chart retard

then it's a shit 90's chart, it might as well be split or have 5 times as many albums and don't bring it here as if it's representative of the best of electronic music, half the shit in there isn't even electronic

You would probably really enjoy this album
They have a similar atmosphere and feeling of grandness and futurism

>half the shit in there isn't even electronic
hahahahahaha

fuck off retard

What are your essential electronic albums?

evanescence is allowed but not nine inch nails?

why does an electronic list have so much rock music?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illbient

i wrote that wrong, i didn't mean they were rock i just meant pointing out some of the industrial vibe seeming like nin should be included if it's actually best electronic of 90's and that clearly half of dummy and violator are less electronic and same with massive attack. it is so on the border. that's the frustration. if someone saw the list, it gives them no sense whatsoever of what real electronic music is to so many people who listen to electronic music. if i clicked on fatboy slim i'd think electronic music was some stupid shit and techno at best rather than how complex it can be. i think charts should separate this shit, that's all i'm sayin. not just put up the most popular shit

nin is buttrock

you're an idiot

you're a pleb

I'm the most patrician person to ever post here and I approve of NIN

i mean if you're sayin portishead is electronic music in the 90's then fucking so is NIN and they are absolutely among the best of it, trent is out of of his mind in terms of electronic production

He's right. Nine Inch Nails were glorified nu-metal even at their creative apex in 1994. Everything Reznor has done since then has either been dogshit modern rock radio fodder or completely pedestrian ambient/"electronica" noodling best appreciated by people who don't know anything about electronic music.

Also people who dismiss NIN typically are just idiots trying to appear as if they are "sophisticated".

Go listen to Fixed, Broken, The Downward Spiral ... none of those albums constitute as "buttrock".
I bet you think kanye and death grips are hot shit. (kill yourself)

but forget about what he does now, what he did in the 90's is as influential as anybody and not exclusively because of him but FLOOD who also produced Violator for Depeche Mode. You can't seriously have a 90's electronic chart with Violator and not include The Downward Spiral as electronic music. that's my criticism is that chart. new nin i don't care about

It's just "cool" to hate on NIN.
Probably teenage kids who saw people dismiss them here on Sup Forums and thought that is how they should think.
Broken to The Fragile defined 90s electronic music.

That chart user posted is just a bunch of librarycore electronic music.
If you're going post all that and hate on NIN then you're a hypocrite.

agree 100%

I was never hugely into DM, but Violator is undeniably an electronic album first and foremost whereas The Downward Spiral is undeniably a rock album first and foremost, despite the heavy presence of electronic texture and instrumentation.

>Broken to The Fragile defined 90s electronic music.

Lol.

so then Dummy by Portishead is a trip-hop album first and foremost along with Massive Attack which BLUE LINES gimme a break. now we kight as well have rap albums on that 90's chart.

Why the fuck do NIN fans all have such an intense persecution complex and need to bring Nine Inch Nails into the discussion no matter how unrelated they actually are to said discussion? It strikes me as textbook underage/teenage behavior, that mix of angst and hero worship.

I swear, you could be talking to someone about fucking tennis racquets and they'd find a way to bring Trent Reznor into it.

because of the absurdity of how people react negatively towards NIN who are willing to give other artists a pass who are doing the same or lesser work. it's like dismissing mozart from classical to dismiss NIN from electronic

NIN never made an album as good as Mezzanine.

Portishead and massive attack are boring monotonous crap user, they're hardly worth being on any essential list.

>so then Dummy by Portishead is a trip-hop album first and foremost along with Massive Attack which BLUE LINES

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here but yeah, those albums are the cornerstones of their genre and it's not too much of a stretch to refer to them as albums of primarily electronic music(less so Blue Lines, but that's beside the point).

Nine Inch Nails are a rock band. Their contemporaries were/are Marilyn Manson, Foo Fighters, Korn and The Smashing Pumpkins, not fucking Autechre or Scorn or Underworld or whoever.

i made a 3 hour ambent album
o wow so did my dishwasher

>Their contemporaries were/are Marilyn Manson, Foo Fighters, Korn and The Smashing Pumpkins, not fucking Autechre or Scorn or Underworld or whoever.

You realize he worked with Coil and Aphex Twin right?

NIN is more Depeche Mode than Foo Fighters, for god's sake who cares who their contemporaries are, did you ever listen to their shit? just because he happened to use guitars, they are all sampled and fucked into industrial music for The Downward Spiral and it has Public Enemy beats and massive Low instrumental influence, it sounds more like Aphex than Korn. get real

Forgot my Rezpalm

>they're hardly worth being on any essential list
Confirmed troll.

Commissioning a remix or letting someone use your studio doesn't mean shit.
The fucking Lemonheads had Godflesh do a remix for them in the 90s for some reason, does that make The Lemonheads industrial metal?

Since almost no one has actually made anyrecs, here are some obvious ones and some less obvious:

Aphex - RDJ Album, SAW 85-92, SAW II, Drukqs
Autechre - Untilted, Confield, Exai
BoC - Geogaddi, MHTRTC, Campfire Headphase
B12 - Time Tourist
Squarepusher - Go Plastic
Datachi - System
Daft Punk - Discovery
Venetian Snares - Huge Chrome Cylinder Box Unfolding, Winter in the Belly of a Snake
Apparat - Walls
Arovane - Lillies, Tides
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Lone
Machinedrum
Visual Cloaks
Eno
Robert Rich
Gary Numan
Rei Harakami
Vangelis
Aoki Takamasa
John Hopkins
The Books
Zammuto
Lanark Artefax
Neat Beats
Geinoh Yamashirogumi
Barker and Baumecker
Voices From the Lake

recs 2

>NIN is more Depeche Mode than Foo Fighters

The closest they came to being closer to DM than the Foo Fighters or Korn was on the first album, and even that one was defined largely by the fact that it was a more aggressive and rock-oriented take on the particular sound that DM pioneered.
The Downward Spiral is no more an electronic music album than OK Computer is.

It's more than that.
Peter Christopherson and Trent Reznor were friends and Further Down The Spiral might as well be considered an album of its own.

Also, give me a fucking break Nine Inch Nails is absolutely nothing like Korn or nu-metal.
The association only comes from Trent's commercial success with songs like Closer that happened to be played on alternative rock stations.

The association also comes from his unfortunate vocal production style and melodramatic vocal approach.

WHAT A FUCKING A PLEB,
this better be bait.

>Peter Christopherson and Trent Reznor were friends

I know, and that doesn't change anything.

>Further Down The Spiral might as well be considered an album of its own.

It's not.

>Also, give me a fucking break Nine Inch Nails is absolutely nothing like Korn or nu-metal.

Proto-nu metal might be a better definition, alongside the likes of Faith No More or Tool or the Chili Peppers.

Heh. Nope. These are great albums and artists. Which entries do you take issue with? (Discovery is a great album btw and if that's what triggered you, you probably just don't like music)

>B12, Eno, Barker and Baumecker, Voices from the Lake, Lanark Artefax, Visual Cloaks, Aoki Takamasa...
>pleb
I guess you only listen to the longform soundscapes produced by your computer music professor? These are very good choices.

I dont take issue with Eno and rich. the rest (although not bad) is far from being a classic. to be fair ill give you my list,as chronologically as I can.

Luigi Russolo
Varese
Stockhausen
Klaus Shulze
Klaus Dinger
Raff Hutter
Brian Eno
Jon Hassel
Steve roach
Daniel Vahkle

I'm probly forgetting some but I'm just waking up right now

>Stockhausen
>other people are plebs
Post again when you actually like music. Music is not a codpiece.

If you cannot understand the importance of Stockhausen's formalization of music beyond melody, harmony,pitch and rhythm. And if you can't see the beauty in works like Kontakte, Stimmung or Gruppen...then you are a real pleb.
Electronic music as it is today would be very different if it wasn't for stockhausen's work. Maybe if you just don't know what was going on in the electronic music scene in the 40s and 50s, when artists were going to extreme formal and precise musical notation or extreme imprecise musical notation(Like cage). this was objectively one of the most important times in music because it essentially opened the doors to the 2 great revolutions of the sixties(Free-Jazz and Psychedelic Rock ).
You can have your arrogant opinion that it sucks,but his importance is undeniable.

Slave-tier taste in modern classical
You couldn't even include a single spectralism composer

I tried to keep the list as short as possible. and Like I said I was half asleep. But who do you think I missed?
I still haven't heard enough of classical music beyond the 70s,so that might be why

He’s got a point. I’d be dropping a lot of the more mainstream stuff off that list as most of it really isn’t bleep. Also fuck fatboy slim, there must be 100 bleep albums that could replace that rubbish.

This is an electronic music thread. Take your classical talk someplace else.

>They're actually Big Beat and Breakbeat. Not even close to Pop.
I’m not sure I’d describe them as big beat. The prodigy were most defiantly pop music though. They even got their music into the “pop” charts a good few times in the 90’s.

>post when you actually like music
>If you cannot understand the importance
>historical importance = good music
>other people are plebs

>not knowing the difference between popular music and pop music as a genre

sorry if my definition of "good music" is not "something nice to put as background while you are studying "
wer are talking about Electronic Music.

>still doesn't understand what it means to actually like music
>still thinks music is a cool neon green codpiece

the opposite. I can't explain this to you,you might be a 17 yr old(you surely sound like one),but Try to watch the Norton Lectures. Try to learn and become smarter instead of "being yourself", which just means "never challenge your ego".

Same thing really.

>quick google search to confirm
>Pop music is the genre of popular music that produces the most hits. ... Songs that become hits almost always share certain features that are sometimes called the pop-music formula. They have a good rhythm, a catchy melody, and are easy to remember and sing along to.

I’d definitely say the prodigy slipped right into that definition. They really weren’t doing much that was groundbreaking. Liam wrote all of the music, the rest of the group were just there for show. It was pretty much a straight up boy band. They even had 2 stage dancers in their “band”.

You defended Stockhausen by pointing out that he is historically important, a fact that is entirely irrelevant to how good or effective his music is. You don't understand what it means to like music.

Whats wrong with photek

Nine Inch Nails = bad music for 14-year olds.

I also stated that I thought that some of his works were beautiful. I didnt think you'd be bothered by what I think. but If you want.
I think gesang der junge junge is one of the most amazing and unique takes on a religious prayer. I think it is almost the same as bach's Mass in B minor but for eletronic music, I think it shows both the desperation of a German man after the tragedies of world war 2 and also due to the fact that mankind seemed(at the time) to be walking towards eminent doom(nuclear booms and fast growing technology) I think it was an attempt to create a new type of religious hymn, one that more resembled the "new humans" of the industrial world,one that could be seen by future generation( in particular a generation where every person was connected with everyone else aka the internet) as something relatable ,weather or not it is relatable doesnt matter to me,what matters is it's intention. An intention of giving an opportunity to the future,of created new was of artistic expression, and new semantic for a new world.
I think Stockhausen was Brilliant,sensible man who devoted his life to the future.

Oh ok, so you'd call Nine Inch Nails pop then. Kinda silly imo.

I don't know about a lot of stuff in this thread, but if we're talking about the sort of electronica that's actually fun to listen to...

Culprate - Deliverance
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
edIT - Crying Over Pros For No Reason
Nero's Day At Disneyland - From Rotting Fantasylands
Mort Garson - Mother Earth's Plantasia
Manuel Gottsching - E2-E4
Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe
Long Arm - The Branches
Haruomi Hosono - Pacific (and YMO stuff too)
Xploding Plastix - Amateur Girlfriends Go Proskirt Agents
Wendy Carlos - Switched On Bach
Wagon Christ - Tally Ho!
Tomas Dvorak - Machinarium Soundtrack

lots of other shit too
and pic related