/prg/ - Progressive Rock General

This thread is dedicated to all prog fans around the world who want to discuss the gretatest music genre evern known to mankind. Discuss your favourite albums and share hidden gems.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a3sYPX17cFk
youtube.com/watch?v=VH8u5peWsyk
youtube.com/watch?v=NaGyN6nnz3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=oAkLNdM2T2M
youtube.com/watch?v=nRyjPhgxWpc
youtube.com/watch?v=kz0aVur1F2A
youtube.com/watch?v=ZhWMS9PdUtY
youtube.com/watch?v=bBMOHtCtq3k
youtu.be/IMRNDrOuKE0
youtube.com/watch?v=gq6BKyEjsto
youtube.com/watch?v=CX9dxLmrm8Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Bump

Genesis, elp, dream theater, rush fucking suck, if you like it you are a proglet. These bands are the reasons people hate prog.

No, OP is the reason people hate prog. There's something wrong with You if U think Prog is the greatest music genre known to mankind.
I love prog myself, but prog comes from classical music, but still, saying classical music is the best genre would also sound retarded.

this. after all metal is the best genre

you can make a case for the other ones but genesis is god tier prog and you're retarded if you don't recognize that.

Dream Theater and ELP are good though

t. Manchlidren

Dream Theaters trash, ELP is hit or miss, Genesis and Rush are top tier. If you are so deeply blinded by your indie rock that you cant enjoy Suppers Ready or 2112 then i feel sorry for you

So much truth in just one post

This guy gets it

Dream theater only had like one or two ok albums but what do you think about Liquid Tension?

This

>Museo Rosenbach
Good taste, user.

I think that metalheads should stick to metal and stop doing mediocre prog attempts

Great taste OP, pic related is an Italian prog masterpiece with some amazing keyboard playing.

>Having a favorite genre is retarded

I thought this was a meme.

The operatic Italian vocals can be off putting to some people but they grow on you, and the musicianship outside of that is top notch.

any love for opeth
youtube.com/watch?v=a3sYPX17cFk

bump with the crypt keeper of prog
youtube.com/watch?v=VH8u5peWsyk

See

Bump

true patrician.
good opinion friend.

Then what are some good prog bands?

there's great prog metal

all the prog metal i've heard was boring as fuck math rock-type autism but with lush textures and really grandiose lyrics

I liked Opeth's catch the rainbow cover but that's about it and the singing wasn't that outstanding either.

youtube.com/watch?v=NaGyN6nnz3Y

What are some good newer prog bands that arent metal? All I know is of Mars Volta and that Omar's solo stuff is also pretty good.

Most of good modern prog is indie stuff
Dear Hunter
youtube.com/watch?v=oAkLNdM2T2M
Dungen
youtube.com/watch?v=nRyjPhgxWpc
Mew
youtube.com/watch?v=kz0aVur1F2A
Black Mountain
youtube.com/watch?v=ZhWMS9PdUtY

Reign of Kindo, Bent Knee and other shit. Maybe King Gizzard if you want to call them prog.

Thanks man
>King gizzard
Can polygonwanaland or FMB be considered prog?

I do consider them, but you know people have different opinions about what is prog and what's not.
Like for example for me this is the best prog song of the year but others might think it's nowhere near prog
youtube.com/watch?v=bBMOHtCtq3k

What are the essentials of modern prog?

Nothing

>mediocre attempt
This is return to forever level amazing and it has based tony levin, dunno what you elitist contrarians are on about

>dude dream theater sucks cause they play too many notes too fast lmao
Sure they suck now, but they also made the greatest prog metal concept album of the last 20 years

Being competent at your instrument

When I grow up and go bald, I wanna be as rad as Levin.

Steven Wilson

I've posted this album in a prog thread before and I'll post it here again because I think it's neat
youtu.be/IMRNDrOuKE0

Also Riverside

there is nothing more rad than Tony Levin playing the Chapman Stick

Deluge Grander had like half an album that was amazing, but the rest is awful
youtube.com/watch?v=gq6BKyEjsto

Tony Levin is the coolest motherfucker. He's the buckethead of bass, played on a million different albums

Any love here for the Canterbury Scene?

you've been listening to wrong kind of prog metal then
youtube.com/watch?v=CX9dxLmrm8Q

tmv is literally the only non-trash prog rock band

You're pathetic

Prog songs with lyrics that aren't just nonsense and have some tought or something interesting to them like storytelling?

Where did he say anything about having a "favorite" genre you mong

2112 - Rush
Karn Evil 9 - ELP
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
Prog is a pretty nonsensical genre, you might just have to get used to it lol

You made me realize how most of these are of my favorites yet I never paid attention to the lyrics, might be a good idea to listen to them again.
>Prog is a pretty nonsensical genre, you might just have to get used to it lol
I mean, not all the lyrics have to be Mars Volta tier of nonsensical or something pseudo deep. You can have things like Peter Sinfield'a early KC lyrics.

Oh yeah, 2112 is one of those tracks where you need the gatefold open in front of you.
It's got lyrics (obviously) and little memoirs from the perspective of the guy who found the guitar in the song that help tell the story.
If you want prog with meaningful lyrics, try to look for concept albums.