Why hasn't Switzerland every went to war?

Mainly on WW1 and 2

Mountain jews

Le Switzerland had never fought in a war meme is a relatively modern thing. In the middle ages, the Swiss were involved in many wars and were known as a source of mercenaries.

Ever*

Unwillingness and inability to go on the offensive, willingness to sell out to the nazis to keep them from invading.

So they where on the nazi side? Like economically helping?

Because krauts are pussies

>So they where on the nazi side
I wouldn't go that far. I think some american put it as "the swiss spend six days working for the nazis and the seventh praying for an allied victory".
>Like economically helping?
Oh yes, so much. Without internationally still accepted swiss francs, Germany would have been unable to buy spanish tungsten. Transport routes between Italy and Germany through Switzerland, precision instruments (though we also sold those to the allies), almost everything the Nazis wanted to buy, they got.
Notice how those are things that are reliant on Switzerland being neutral, or could be sabotaged on retreat in case of invasion.

There were actually some battles on Swiss grounds, but it was mostly just Swiss shooting down airplanes crossing thier border or trying to bomb thier cities because Amrericans really suck at geography.

Dont want to hurt feelings but are the swiss people mixed from other countries to form a proxy state or is it a real kind of ethnicity

It's a real ethnicity made up from sub-ethnicities. I mean, we don't share a single language, religion, or ancestry, but we share history and identity. It counts.

How are the relations between different language groups in Switzerland?

is german the lingua franca?

Allright, I guess? There's less of a french/german divide than there used to be, with it shifting more to a rural/urban one. The italian speakers haven't had a federal councilor for a while, so they might be getting annoyed about that with the rest of the country, but I can't read italian, so I don't know. The rumantsch speakers are too few to matter.

No. People from french and italian speaking places aren't any better at german than the rest of us are at french/italian. Communication is through guesswork based on forgotten language lesson, finding somebody who's actually fluent in both languages, or (more commonly today) english.

sounds fucked. how much do you learn french and italian in school? is the average citizen at least decent enough in them to hold a conversation?

There's five years french or italian at minimum, I believe. (I can't say for sure though, since education is business of the cantons and thus varries.)
The problem is that school children are naturally lazy. We're supposed to be able to hold a conversation, but it's bad enough right after finishing school. Add a few years of never using the skill, and it's as good as gone.

A Swiss guy once told me he speaks english so much now that when he goes home, he forgets the german words for most things.
I found that fascinating that knowledge of your mother tongue could decay so quickly. How much English would the average person in Zurich use each day?

That's not how you spell Armenia, Fritz.

he probably was a faggot though, so you should take his words with a grain of salt

Some were german planes.

>People from french and italian speaking places aren't any better at german than the rest of us are at french/italian

We're far worst.

Thank you for at least trying.

I have no idea. But I know that Switzerland was never self-sufficient. For instance we needed coal. And we were surrounden by the axis.
Also the strategy in case of a Nazi attack was not really defence but losing after letting the Nazis suffer heavy losses. Also for instance tunnels and passes in the Alps would have been destroyed so that could not have been trasportet between Italy and Germany.

The Nazis could have invaded if they wanted to, but it would never have been worth it. The benefits of taking over were much less than the benefits of basic trade.

Wow, for real? I can understand English being popular in places with one big language but you'd think a place with at least 3 big languages would have more skill in thei 3 than English.

Switzerland was never really on the Nazi side.

It continued making business with them (including buying their gold against internationnally accepted swiss francs).

The country also did business with the allies.

Problem here is the moral ground to keep making business with Nazi Germany not that the country actually helped it.

Same problem was discussed in the US before entering the war. Until 1940 american banks were also buying german gold.

this
I know my French is pretty lackluster, but once I've met some people from Neuchâtel abroad in France, I realized that their German is in a way worse spot than our French
we used English most of the time anyway though

Problem is that we have 4 languages here. You can expect us to at least understand two of them but not the 4 of them.

Plus High German is taught in french and italian speaking school and it's really not the same than Swiss German.

Neuchâtel and Geneva are a lost cause.

t. I'm from Genf

Don't forget Lausanne too
Also inner city Bern and west Zurich

>tungsten

Call it wolframio pls. Also, you're welcome, Germoney.

>Mainly on WW1 and 2
would have meant the end of an independent switzerland

Just using words the anglos understand.