They do it for free

>they do it for free

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=v8TpKktVSJI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>There is no money-based system in the UFoP

They get paid in holodeck sessions.

i would happily explore the universe for free holodeck time, free cures for every illness and free everything

then if its not for me i have a great skill set and i can go join a rape gang

>Finally get a rape gang going
>Ready to reck prime cyberpunk pussy
>End up with Tasha Yar and her dyke haircut instead
Joke's on you m8.

Is it bad that the first time Tasha said rape gangs that I laughed uncontrollably for a minute.

No. It was ridiculously melodramatic.

because star tek is literally communist psyop

Yars sister had an amazing cameltoe

>Be Irish
>Do it for free for Starfleet
>Stuck in the transporter room for 10 years
>Keiko out with Riker again

I could have sworn the Jem'Hadar child episode was in a season later that two.

Three, I mean. I thought it was somewhere in 4 or 5.

This.

It's more United Nations propaganda, which admittedly is more or less the same thing.

>hurrrr why do traditional economics no longer apply when people can replicate whatever they want, people can teleport across planets in the blink of an eye, and there are thousands of habitable planets you can move to thanks to FTL travel along with an all around post scarcity scenario

why are you all so dumb

Starfleet I can understand.
But menial tasks down on earth, cleaning, maintenance and repairs, cooks, waitresses, and so on?
Naah.

Post-scarcity is a stupid meme pushed by people who have limited experience with the ugliness of humanity.

>menial tasks

They have a fully automated infrastructure.

really? Starfleet academy has a janitor/gardener who sort of mentored Picard, Siskos dads restaurant had staff - just from the top of my head.

idk what you're talking about

"post scarcity" in the context of star trek isn't really a meme

>why are you all so dumb
Who are you even responding to?

Because it's an idealized vision of humanity with none of the defects of reality. Economics is just another thing it handwaves.

user your conception of "economics" wouldn't even need to be handwaved in the context of star trek as it doesn't even really apply on a meaningful level.

Post scarcity doesn't have anything to do with the human condition, it just means they have replicators.

Star Trek insignia is quite literally inspired by Soviet/Chinese space programs. The Star Trek logo's font is also inspired by the font used in Soviet propaganda posters.

>Post scarcity doesn't have anything to do with the human condition, it just means they have replicators.

That's exactly the kind of hand-waving I'm talking about.

That't not handwaving, that's me pointing out you're conflating two completely different ideas "humans in Star Trek have evolved" and "humans in Star Trek have replicators".

>Soviet propaganda posters
That's actually an advert for an exhibition of Soviet art that took place in Tokyo in 1961. Do you know how Gene Roddenberry saw that and got inspired by it? Because that just sounds like something someone made up after seeing the picture.

fitting then that the best modern mmorpg, Star Trek: Online, is free. Like, really free.
everyone should play it its based af farn

>really? you don't use toilet paper? that's incomprehensible! how do you keep your asshole clean after shitting?
>I use a bidet
>hurrr why are you handwaving away the issue of whether or not you use toilet paper?

this is what you sound like right now

I never heard about him seeing it in Tokyo, but I know it's the same symbol as the Soviet Roscosmos logo.

It's bretty good actually.
But the whole 23c starting character thing was quite underwhelming t.b.h.

i love this game

more people should play it it's also canon

yeah it's basically ENT season 5+ (ie its good af)

closest thing I saw to
>muh single player rpgs with other people around

What do you actually do in it?

It's not like that snorefest Eve Online is it?

youtube.com/watch?v=v8TpKktVSJI
you get in comfy af space battles
start with a dinky shit ship, gradually upgrade to big famous/exotic ships, there are carriers w/ fleets of fighters but I dont know if people really use them.
very light on the multiplayer, thogh

i really enjoyed just logging onto it and fucking around, doing a few missions like im on the show

dunno why i stopped playing

nah, it's actually plot-focused, with so called episodes you can do solo or with others.

Computer, replicate me an AK-47. It's toime tah teach that cunt Riker that he can't be makin' eyes at my cakehole.

I don't want to shill or something, but if anyone considers starting playing STO I'd recommend doing it right fucking now. There is a winter/holiday event ongoing where you can quite easily earn a ship of the highest tier, they're usually a bit more pain in the ass to get.

>Borg drones adapt to phaser frequency
>not just replicating some old-school projectile weapons

how to.
i did the first part of the christmas mission and got jack shit

I thought they did it for gold plated latinum

do the daily "fasted race on ice" thing until you have 1000 vouchers. There is a race coordinator Breen right at the central platform

tip: don't sprint, just run unless you have a long straight ahead

Does this game run on Linux? I installed the 'Buntu on my laptop and I really cba reinstalling Windows

you thing they wouldn't adapt to bullets if they were commonly used?
Kevlar vests or just reinforced steel plates doesn't seem to be out of their tech reach.

> the red chevron, in the alternate shape of the constellation Andromeda, is a wing representing aeronautics (the latest design in hypersonic wings at the time the logo was developed)
in 1959

it requires a bit of tinkering with wine I'm afraid, but I never tried it myself

no but it runs on ps4 and xbone now
for free

>Picard
Whats the deal with his house in france.

How do they own it?

I think people are still allowed to own property. How do they acquire it - now that's an interesting question.

I was never clear on why the force fields don't stop bullets, they stop people.

post scarcity is a big meme, just like universal income

>future space jannies in jumpsuits

>you would be Picard or Worf or Riker for free
Yeah sure whatever

>the thousand guys who spend their entire lives monotonously staring at a navigation console or rearranging plasma couplings 16 hours a day until finally the sweet merciful release of death arrives in the form of a hull breach, exploding computer or Jemhadar boarding party
No. How the fuck are these guys working for "self betterment"?

Yes especially when Kirk says "I sold this place years ago" in Generations. Sold it with what? Latinum slips? Holodeck time?

Why would you ask for money when you can replicate anything you want?

Are people so attached to the concept of wagecucking that they can't conceive of a situation of money being pointless even when literally ANYTHING you wish for can be replicated and people can have entire planets to themselves?

The Picard family has been around since before the Federation, probably inheritance.

And homelessness explicitly doesn't exist on Earth, so my guess would be all property is held in commune by the Federation and assigned to people as they need it and if they die with no heirs it gets put back into communal ownership.

Of course, unless population growth is nil it wouldn't work for long unless the number of people who want to live off-world exceeds birth rates. And even then, people wanting to move out of their parents house are also going to be a problem.

I think its Energy Credits. I think Voyager started the rations thing but it could go deeper then that. What if the holodeck programs required a certain amount of energy, just like food does. Of course if you got stock on voyager you couldn't just access your Energy account and get more energy, so they had to ration the ships.

Starfleet is 8 hours a day according to DS9: Captive Pursuit, and that's assuming a 3 shift-rotation, 4 shifts like Jellico wanted would be shorter, so it's up to the Captain, but there's certainly going to be labour laws in Glorious People's Republic of Federation

And I'd absolutely be Picard or Riker for "free". Not sure about Worf, I don't like physical stuff.

The point you're missing is that "free" includes infinite food, top-of-the-line recreation, luxury living and getting to explore the galaxy. Even being famous.

Metaphor. Jake said he "sold" his first book to the Federation News Service too.

dat cameltoe

>>Stuck in the transporter room for 10 years
He requested that since his previous job gave him PTSD.

>technocratic message of the series teaches you to pursue the truth
>you turn into a racial realist who wants to genocide all the niggers, mudslimes and kikes in real life because the science tells us that they are bad.

I bet the creators of this show didnt think about that.

>it's also canon
"No."

jews have the highest average iq and that is the reason why we own all you stupid goyim

didn't think that one all the way did we?

Eh, I dunno. Assuming from the existence of the phaser that the amount of energy and size in a handheld weapon is more-or-less a non-issue, something the size of a grain of rice moving at a significant fraction of c seems like would be hard to block without a deflector of significant size.

Even if it's no longer true, I suspect we'll be saying "I sold my house" for a long time before "I rescinded my claim to need of this property with the Federation Land Distribution Agency" takes over.

But why would anyone do that when you don't need the capital?

"when literally ANYTHING you wish for can be replicated and people can have entire planets to themselves" who the fuck volunteers to be this guy?

yeah, I know
If instead of bothering with all those phasers and torpedoes and shit they modified their warpfield or whatever to propel, say, steel bearing balls at, say, .99c - now that'd be something to wreck planets not just ships.

But we were talking about conventional guns here, AK in the pic, Tommmy-guns on the holodeck, that sort of thing. And I'm sure Borg wouldn't have much problem to adapt to them if they were expecting them coming.

being this guy for few years is the only way to become one of the guys in the front I guess?

I know it doesn't sound very plausible from todays perspective, but maybe if we had nothing we had to do for a century we would start doing jobs just for the hell or it?

Ship-sized deflectors do pretty good at deflecting much larger asteroids, though.

But there really isn't an excuse for why it isn't used on targets with less effective shielding; if the Romulans or Jem'Hadar or someone else with minimal scruples want to completely buttfuck an unshielded or lightly shielded target then just use a large coilgun from space.

>being this guy for few years is the only way to become one of the guys in the front I guess
The flaw in this logic is there's 1,014 people on the Enterprise so at least 1,006 of them have to be losers nobody cares about

No it was massivly out of place for what Trek was. Just Roddenberry trying to be an edgy old cunt because it's the 90's.

how do you form a rape gang anyway?

It must be awkward to be the first to bring it up.

There are things to do in Starfleet other than be on the Enterprise.

Most normalfags aren't psychologically equipped for the tru NEETâ„¢ lifestyle.

Dude machines will be doing half those jobs in the next few decades let alone 3 centuries from now.

already answered that there still are a shit-tier jobs to be done, just look how often something breaks down on the top-of-the-shelf Enterprise, you think it'd be any better down on earth? Maintenance workers would have their hands full all the time

Boothby likes gardening so he volunteers to work on one that he loves. Nobody pays pensioners to work on their own gardens, Boothby is just an extension of that idea except other people get to enjoy it too.

Likewise, Sisko loves cooking and talking to people, people who feel the same will want to work with him or open their own restaurants.

Actual menial jobs that nobody wants to do have technological solutions, like the EMHs working as dilithium miners or the Enterprise being designed to clean itself so they don't have janitors.

Even if there are robots or holograms doing a job, nobody is going to stop you if you want to do it yourself. You'd probably be the most popular person doing it too because your customers would get to interact with a human instead of an AI.

What science proves jews and muslims are inferior. Are we talking biologically? Because jews and middle easterners are both caucasiod.

They literally don't care though.

Ours is a society where we do jobs not nesecarilly for the betterment of everyone, but rather for personal gain. The Federation is a society with a mindset of doing things to help everyone for the common good.

You're applying our societies notions and norms onto a fictional society that was designed to have very different societal notions and norms from own

Ja, post-scarcity domesticated humans in the same way humans domesticated dogs by providing all their material needs

There's one thing who always triggered me in Star Trek.

Phasers. It sucks.

There's no reason to bring a phaser gun to a fight instead of a regular gunpowder riffle. Phaser beams are slow, do less damage and shoot only once every forever.

As for ship fighting, photon torpedoes (and even quantum torpedoes) sound significantly weaker than good old nuclear bomb.

>There's no reason to bring a phaser gun to a fight instead of a regular gunpowder riffle
STOP BLOWIN 'OLES IN MOY FECKIN SPACE STASHUN

Gunpowder weapons don't work in space or on planets with no oxygen and are more likely to ricochet, and don't have a "stun" setting other than rubber bullets which can still be lethal and require special weapons to fire

Sure. But I could take an entire squad of shitty SF security guards with a P-90.

I can understand how Starfleet Faggots would be choose the weaker weapon but Klingons ? Come on.

How fast are emergency force fields anyway? Whenever there's a hull breach they always say "emergency force fields are in place", but I doubt they could activate before explosive decompression turns everyone in the area into chunky salsa.

If I were Starfleet, I'd keep emergency forcefields around all bulkheads in place during all battles just in case.

Despite not being as honorable as they claim, Klingons still really love using knives and melee weapons. Other than the time they uncover the Martok Changeling, I can't even recall when they last used disruptors in a fight*.

*Assassinating the Federation President in TUC is not a fight

>planets with no oxygen
I'm pretty sure Federation crewmen have been seen wearing environment suits like four times in the entire 726 episodes and 12 movies

You don't need to reload phasers though (or at least not for a long time) and they have other uses besides shooting people such as welding.

And they don't jam.

And they have a stun setting.

And, generally speaking, once you hit someone with one anywhere they're either stunned or dead. if you shoot someone in the leg or arm with a conventional firearm you might still kill them, they'll probably go down, but its not as unlikely that they wouldn't be able to fight back at all.

Same with disruptors.

Oh and phasers seem to be able to bypass armour. Personal sheilds are a thing, but they're rare. Only the Borg have them if I recall. Even then you can adapt phasers or disruptors to bypass said shielding. Conventional bullets would bounce off/be disintegrated by it.

I never thought I'd hear a semblance of intelligence in a thread talking about post scarcity.

You don't explode if you're exposed to the vacuum of space.

Yeah but the number of humans we saw in Star Trek is a tiny sample size of the Federation in general, and of the 6 series, 4 were the flagship, they probably aren't sending them on the insanely dangerous missions to make contact with Tholians or whatever.

No, but your lungs can, and you could be blown out of a bullet-sized hole in the hull.

>MIIIIIILLLLLEEEESSS!!???!? Have you seen my English Rose of Eternal Irish Subjugation?

Picard takes a bunch of Borg with an holographic Thompson SMG in Contact. They do adapt to foddyfif ammo after it.

To unlock a different property you want to inhabit for a period of time somewhere else.

The idea that your home is an "investment" is astonishingly new and nothing but a meme intended to sell property. Your home is where you live, and even today some people chose their home based on where they want to live rather than what will make them shekels in the future.

Is that including ENT? They use space suits in that all the time.