Is this version of Hannibal Lecter designed to systematically trigger every American insecurity there is?

Is this version of Hannibal Lecter designed to systematically trigger every American insecurity there is?

Related question: Is every American bullied by the local millionaire's kid? Because your media seems to believe this is a human universal.

The idea may have merit but I'm not sure what you mean. Are you just referring to the fact that he comes off as sort of an old school European aristocrat? I don't really think that Americans think people of that sort are evil, if anything they're so rare (read:non-existent) in America that most people would legitimate be pretty fascinated or even impressed.

I think if Americans met someone who behaves the way Hannibal does to guests they would look at him as a curiosity.

I'm pretty sure he's just supposed to be as Satanic as possible so I guess so.

This.

Mads says in an interview that he wanted to portray Hannibal to be like the devil and to move away from Anthony Hopkins portrayal.

Unrelated but Hannibal is probably the best TV programme I've ever watched.
The season 2 finally literally had me stood up, it was that intense.

Apart from getting free meals from him, I never understood how Jack and Will would want to legitmately be his friend. He seemed very freakish to me.

Interesting and intelligent, really good conversation.

Why would anyone want to be autistic Will's friend?

Extreme empathy, probably understands you within minutes of meeting you. Don't see the appeal to a lot of people, especially egocentric ones?

About what? All the conversations in the show seem to be metaphors and dancing around some topic. What do Jack and Hannibal even have in common? They're like two completely difderwnt people.

wat

They work together and the nature of their work alienates them from normal people

>cannibalistic serial killer on the loose
>everyone suspects the friendly autist who is catching serial killers and saving lives
>no one suspects the creepy dead eyed emotionless psychiatrist who constantly jokes about eating people

theres nothing wrong with joking about eating people, thats why it works

I see. He just basically acts like a free therapist for them.

better hannibal than hopkins desu

Agreed

Yup.

Awesome show, good thread OP. I haven't watched the season 3 finale (or last ... 2 episodes?) out of not wanting the series to end....

I will binge rewatch the whole thing when I finally do.

If or when they ever renew the series, I don't think Will needs to come back as a main character. I think that storyline has been done to death, and it would be cool to see what else they can cook up.

I haven't read the books. How do they compare?

I never understood that. Hannibal has perfect composure, always. Even in situations someone would be shaken, rationally.

No one ever questioned it. Not even Will.

Millionaire kid here. No, I'm too busy getting ass, going on awesome trips, having friends, etc etc. I really have no time to interact with lower people. It's beneath me in every sense of the word.

He hid his emotions too well from Will, who had no other instincts to rely on. Hannibal probably seemed off initially but was always on the offensive, keeping the focus on Will. He went so far as to make Will insane to keep Will from realizing what Hannibal was until he was deep enough under his skin.