Why did 1970's recording techniques seem to produce a "warmer," comfier sound than modern ones...

Why did 1970's recording techniques seem to produce a "warmer," comfier sound than modern ones? It's like you can hear the plucked notes reverberating off the wood paneling of those old studios. Is it possible to simulate that sound convincingly with digital effects, or do you actually need a 70's-style studio to truly get it right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YDy8WZKy5xI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

partly your own nostalgia but also because of the equipment, digital audio is a lot more difficult to hear than analog

tape, tubes n transistors my dude

I'm 20; I don't have any nostalgia for the 70's.

yeah but societally we're all pretty nostalgic

>Why did 1970's recording techniques seem to produce a "warmer," comfier sound than modern ones?
unless you listen to the original records via first rounds of vinyl. you are listening to the modern remastered versions

Does it matter? I can pull an old 128kbps .mp3 of a 70's song off of someone's Soulseek collection that probably came from some guy ripping a cassette tape with the soundcard of his 1997 Dell before getting uploaded to Napster 18 years ago, and still hear these effects. It's something ingrained into the recording process.

>I can pull an old 128kbps .mp3 of a 70's song off of someone's Soulseek collection that probably came from some guy ripping a cassette tape with the soundcard of his 1997 Dell before getting uploaded to Napster 18 years ago, and still hear these effects.
source?

Fucking second rate Steely Dan Yacht Rock rip offs!

Stick with Aja if you want the real deal!

Geez! Even Brand X were better than these losers!

The loudness war hadn't begun.

It's not really the same thing. Here's a PC song from the album in the OP:

youtube.com/watch?v=YDy8WZKy5xI

Lifeline [A&M, 1976]

You can take the Doobie Brothers out of the country, but you can't turn them into Three Dog Night. C-

A Place in the Sun [A&M, 1977]

This mainstream synthesis is not without a certain agreeable tension--vocally and instrumentally, these boys do have their licks down. But it's also a demonstration of how today's pop exploits the rhythmic and dramatic clichés of yesterday's black music. Lyrics, too--Cory Lerios and Dave Jenkins are credited as the sole composers of "Raging Fire," in which love lifts them higher than they've ever been before. C

Worlds Away [A&M, 1978]

The Cruisers hit my enemies list somewhere on Interstate 95. Hook glut, it's called--hear David Jenkins sing "once you get past the pain" fifty times in a day and the pain will be permanent. Even if the next hit is the title cut, a genuine rocker, the band is the '70s Grass Roots, and if Orleans and the Doobie Brothers are the obvious forerunners, that's their cross to bear. It don't mean a thing if it's studio swing. C

That cover is a bit gay, dontcha think?

N...no...

I wonder if Rob Halford ever jerked off to this and the Going For The One cover back in the day.

PC were a band that kinda became victims of their own image--the whole beach bum thing pigeonholed them. Worlds Away and the single "I Go To Rio" ruined whatever cred they had as AOR artists and that relaxed 70s California Quaalude rock sound quickly went out of style during the punk/New Wave era.

Problem is that Pablo Cruise were a very Chad/jock/normie kind of band and to appreciate them, you have to have had sex. Very few people on Sup Forums have ever had sex, which is why bands like Radiohead are popular here.

yeah thats why every person born in after 1995 still considers themselves a 90s kid even though they don't remember shit from the 90s.

Nostalgia is a feeling that exist beyond just your own experiences. Humans naturally adore the past for some reason.

/thread
mics were different too

it's partly the gear, partly the players, and partly the drugs

also the gain staging

>it's partly the gear, partly the players, and partly the drugs
70s music tended to have this very druggy, mucky sound to it. That kind of aesthetic started to be replaced by the compressed New Wave kind of production as the decade drew to a close.

As to what drugs were in use at the time, I would think it was mostly a lot of weed, coke, and Quaaludes. Psychedelic drugs kind of died out after 1972 or so so those wouldn't have been influencing music much by the disco era.

It also depended on the band and their background as well. AOR hard rock was mostly weed, coke, and booze music while bands like the Eagles and PC that did that mellow California sound were Quaalude guys.