I still don't appreciate The Grateful Dead or Neil Young...

>I still don't appreciate The Grateful Dead or Neil Young. If it wasn't for kids being so taken with In the Aeroplane I'd probably spend my time telling people to shut the fuck up about Harvest. Who gives a shit, that record sucks. Neil Young's an absolute cornball. Get over it.

/ourguy/ general

Other urls found in this thread:

acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3718
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

dumbass
on the beach is a masterpiece. objective truth

>Patience is a virtue. Just ignore the noise and definitely filter anyone out of your life who uses music in a competitive way. If anyone asks you if you've heard of a band or heard a record, I mean, just delete that person from your life. When people ask me that, I invariably say no, whatever the case may be. And if they start to recommend it to me, I tell them it doesn't really sound like my kind of thing. Their discomfort and disappointment in not being able to use music in a way they should not be using it is a wonderful feeling.

>When people ask me that, I invariably say no, whatever the case may be. And if they start to recommend it to me, I tell them it doesn't really sound like my kind of thing.

based

.....and you tellin me..... THIS guy gotta wife an kids?? get the fuck outta here

Grateful Dead and Young are pretty overrated in general, but that doesn't change the fact that Live/Dead and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere + Rust Never Sleeps are amazing albums

It's pretty combative to assume anyone who brings up a band you haven't heard of is trying to act superior to you.

Perhaps they just want to share the music they like?

lmao

shit taste

this guy seems absolutely insufferable

i like that

He sounds incredibly insecure about he's knowledge abot music

t. assblasted Sup Forumscore children

Neil Young is a great songwriter.

I'm not really assblasted, more like concerned for Chris' mental health.

I don't think it's healthy to see a basic human impulse (which is the sharing of positive experiences) as inherently competitive.

>t. assblasted Sup Forumscore children
I just looked him up.
His entire taste is literally Sup Forumscore though...
acclaimedmusic.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3718

That slide guitar on motion pictures makes life worth living

this lmao it took me until around the 50 album mark before I saw something I haven't seen on here

What did he mean with
>If it wasn't for kids being so taken with In the Aeroplane

This is still probably far better than anything else a Pitchfork writer drew up. He also shitted on The Soft Bulletin a lot in his AMA.

what a miserable curmudgeon

this is only his best of the 90s

lol wtf does this even mean? because you've heard of his favorite albums, it disqualifies his legitimacy?

retard

So what? Just because most of those are Sup Forumscore doean't mean they're bad. I mean there must be a reason why so many of them are still talked about today

it's because some anons act like he's the antithesis of a Sup Forumstant which is just wrong. I like Chris, but its just really annoying how some people prop him up to be something he's not

>this is only his best of the 90s
says a lot about his taste though
>because you've heard of his favorite albums, it disqualifies his legitimacy?
No, but it disqualifies the legitimacy of the "assblasted Sup Forumscore children" line

>No NMH on the list at all
How the fuck can anyone take this guy's opinions seriously?

kek he's a turbo plebe

I always used to like his videos

what does it say about his taste? that it's not epic obscure rym core?

You need to actually hear him describe what he likes/dislikes about bands to understand his taste.

He tends to be very picky about the tech and production that bands use, for instance. This is what makes his opinions interesting, because your average internet goon can't articulate preferences like this.

agreed, i'm a huge fan of ott. probably the most passionate music journalist around

It's just 90s rock with occasional bloops thrown in. No classical performances, no jazz recordings. He just doesn't seem interesting whatsoever.

No one says that it should be obscure, but having more variety would definitely help.

he's a rock critic and doesn't pretend to be otherwise

That's just boring then

lmao did this guy get outted for DM underage girls on twitter?

He views himself superior for not liking one half of basic acclaimed albums (Swans, Flaming Lips, Basinski, etc.) while what he really likes is just the other half of the most acclaimed bands ever (MBV, The Cure, Mercury Rev) and really just likes one half of basic baby shit and is extremely inflammatory about the other.

he literally used to be a pitchfork writer and has pretty similar basic taste to all of them

seems like a shallow cultural layman but okay w/e

That's your opinion then. For rock critics, who generally don't understand the technical side of music at all, it's interesting.

>seems like a shallow cultural layman but okay w/e

It's much smarter to specialize in things you're knowledgeable about than to spout bullshit about genres you don't understand, like a Scaruffi-type would for instance.

>he's a rock critic
i.e. irrelevant

What exactly is interesting about it or him for that matter? As far as I see, the dude is shitting on Neil Young while liking alternative rock that was pretty much rooted in Neil Young's music.

>willingfully "not understanding" anything except alt-rock Sup Forumscore
seems like a fucking retard, not "specializing" lmao

it seems like your booty has been bothered by his opinion of neil young

classical and jazz have been irrelevant for decades

yah and now so is rock making his opinions irrelevant

Nah, I am bothered by the lazy argument as to why he is bad. I don't mind people having opinions, but he just sounds like an intentionally pretentious idiot that people listen to.

>music critics
>2017

anyone who stans music critics needs to be jettisoned into space

He looks at things more from an audio engineer's perspective when he talks about things like types of distortion or reverb and the specific tech needed to achieve certain textures, for instance. Like when he describes a band who tried to replicate MBV's sound without knowing about Shields' particular effects or that he was just using his whammy bar.

You seem to be assuming that because pop music isn't compositionally complex (generally), there's no craft or technique that goes into making pop music. Which is obviously wrong to anyone who's attempted to do it seriously.

And I should give a fuck who this is because?...

He sure doesn't use music as a contest piece . . . everytime I read something else from him I value his highly cynical but unsceptical opinions less and less.

>OK Computer and Dummy
>better than Spiderland

why do we care about chris ott again

Because he started talking shit about Pitchfork before it was cool. That's the only conclusion I can draw.

no, seems like he's specializing.

It's an alt right psyop, they're trying to give their ideology a facade of legitimacy by retroactively finding failed figures generally considered "disgraced" in mainstream culture who are probably sympathetic to their ideology and presenting them as "victims" of "liberalism run amuck" or some other ridiculous nonsense like that.

Just sage Sup Forums threads on Sup Forums.

>It's an alt right psyop
you've been on the internet too long. log off

k now delete your thread and head on back, bud.

>reddit spacing
>k
are you sure I'm the one who doesn't belong here user?