What are the steps they would need to take to successfully adapt a video game into a movie...

What are the steps they would need to take to successfully adapt a video game into a movie? Clearly there is a systematic problem in video game-to-film movies.

They'd have to realize that people buy games for the gameplay and not the story.

Make the movie R-rated if the game is M-rated

This. If a game is acclaimed for its story, go about adapting it. Hitman, Assassin's Creed, things like that aren't known for their jaw dropping stories. Maybe good stories that complement the gameplay, but that's it.

They need to realize that video games have a billion action scenes, and for a movie they need to cut it down to the most important ones instead of trying to cram as many fights as they can into two hours.

if we're to assume that videgames can be art, then it's expression doesn't come from the story but from the mechanics of the gameplay itself. the story in games serves more as a framework to get from point a to b. its an issue that production companies refuse to acknowledge, and why these adaptations always end uppandering to the lowest common denominator.

Assassin's Creed has the potential to do it right since it isn't just stealing the first game's story.

To answer your question though, the element of control plays a huge factor. A lot of the fun from video games comes from you placing yourself in the character's shoes. Without that, you have an inherently lesser experience.

One of the best video game movies to date (Angry Birds Movie, not even fucking joking) works for a couple reasons.
>there's literally no story giving the writers carte blanche to do what they please.
>They adapted the mechanics in a way that was cinematically pleasing as well as faithful to the game.

My logic is, the less control the player has, the better the movie will be. Therefore, I think point-n-click games like Monkey Island or Grim Fandango could be excellent films.

>To answer your question though, the element of control plays a huge factor. A lot of the fun from video games comes from you placing yourself in the character's shoes. Without that, you have an inherently lesser experience.
I was talking to my dad about this the other day and this is what he thinks.

Personally I think the big issue is character development. The main character in a video game is essentially just a walking camera.In a movie, the hero (and the other characters) would need to become more believable people than in the average video game.

>video games
All you manchildren need to fuck off back to Sup Forums.

Was this kino?

not being able to comprehend a different form of visual storytelling (in this case interactive) is much more infantile

Carlos Blanka... Charlie... so you're Guile's friend.

If they were to adapt Elder Scrolls, which game would best translate into a film?

None of them. Would be best as an endless HBO series.

>that episode where he spent a solid hour jumping around stealing plates

>elder scrolls

>implying

Mount and Blade would be better.. you can get some decent characters (based bro-monk Jeremus, Butterlord Harlaus, etc.)

literally nothing in Elder Scrolls translates well to television.

Shivering Isles. But it would be hideous.

Arena
>main character gets bitten by a rat and dies of poisoning in the first 5 minutes of the movie

In video games, M is basically the rating you want. Just like in movies people cut scenes to get a PG-13 rating, in games some devs go for an M rating. Adapting an M rated game into a PG-13 rated movie is retarded.

The fact that video games are playable means they can't really translate well to movies, regardless of how good the story or gameplay in the game is. There'll always be that hands on feeling missing. Maybe you could get original side stories working, I don't know.

I really hope Hollywood doesn't move from comic book adaptations to video game adaptations.

The fact that we're talking about Assassins Creed means this argument is wrong. The series was pretty innovative in its first two installments but after that it's just gotten stale and in some regards has gone backwards.

If they were good movies, I would be in favor of video game adaptions. There are a lot of video games with creative settings, and Hollywood could always use some fresh ideas.

Assassin's Creed is an interesting concept though. The normie crowd isn't aware that the horse is already long dead.

I feel like they're doing the right thing with this movie in that they're not directly adapting any stories from the games.
Not long now until we see if it turns out good.

I firmly stand by the idea that Hitman would be a great thriller miniseries, focusing on a loosely related string of contracts that just show 47 in his element.

I will fund that shit myself if I have to.

In regards to Asscreed, gameplay is still above story. It's terrible gameplay, but it is what they care about most and the story is entirely built around this gameplay.

That's why popular games make bad movies, they have a serviceable story and popular gameplay.

And that's why DOOM was great.

Some of the games with longer storylines would work as Netflix miniseries, and it would give more room to flesh out the characters.

>animated 13-episode miniseries of Chrono Trigger

If they ever adapt Skyrim, they NEED to get the guy who played Gnives to reprise his role from the mods.

same thing that every movie needs

a good script

there aren't many good video game stories that are simple enough to adapt to a 2 hour movie

Oh I dunno, hire a good writer.
I think that should do it.

idk assasins creed looks cool but I know it will bomb due to 0 hype

No. But Mortal Kombat was.

Make a film first, adaptation second. It doesn't have to be a 1:1 copy of the source, you only have to capture the character of the game.

>not making an Earthbound Netflix series where Ness is black and the entire group are in the late 20s living in LA.

anything that even partially sways away from canon (which is usually needed to make a good film) will be met with hate from the fanbase. a 1:1 will be loved by fans and go over the heads of the general audience.

basically a damned if you do damned if you dont scenario. which will inevitability lead to a boring, middle-of-the-road product

Hollywood is incompetent, they even fucked up Resident Evil 1