Is the May 19th release date cause for alarm? On one hand, they're releasing it months before it's original schedule...

Is the May 19th release date cause for alarm? On one hand, they're releasing it months before it's original schedule. On the other, they're releasing at a time when it will have zero competition.

Sounds to me like they're confident. If they wanted no competition but were unsure of their quality wouldn't they have gone for a later date that had no competition? I see this as a good sign.

Just to clear this this up - Is this a standalone Alien movie, with no ties to Prometheus or any of that bullshit?

No, it's Prometheus 2 without the Prometheus name because the last one sucked

Definite Prometheus ties.

They're releasing it in May because it worked for Prometheus.

It helps that the lead actress currently has a blockbuster hit in theaters

May 19th was actually packed when they moved the date up; Baywatch (one of Paramount's most important tentpoles of 2017) and Anabelle 2 (sequel to a hit) were already there and they both just vacated the spot in the last few days. Not to mention that it comes out 2 weeks after GotG 2. I think the move shows Fox has great confidence in the film.

>Fox has confidence
Probably not in the film but definitely the brand. Scott can make several bombs after how much money The Martian made, Fox is really forgiving with him.

Michaels Fassbenders are the leads

did you say blockbuster tits?

They're too small to be busting anything

Is she gonna get naked again

James Cameron's
F A S S B E N D E R S

>running
>ever
Best way to get killed t b h

is this prometheus 2?

Yes

hhnnnnnggg

Ridley Scott most likely shot the majority of the film in camera, which lead to lower CGI time.

This is a good sign.

It's Prometheus on steroids basically.

is this promotheus 2 or aline 5?

So will this be the same ayylmao slasher movie again or will it be exposition hour: the movie?

Why would it be Alien 5 when there is no Alien 2-4?

Prometheus eliminates those movies. So it's Prometheus -> Alien: Covenant -> Alien

Senile Ridley confused everyone including himself and filmed Prometheus once again.

>run
top cringe

If both of those things are true, I'd say it's cause for alarm.

isn't blomkamp enough cause of alarm for you?

can't wait till one of characters is a refugee juxtaposed with alien's alien status

blomkamp is like Sup Forums's caricature of a liberal

>Why would it be Alien 5 when there is no Alien 2-4?
>no Alien 2-4
Are you retarded.

Aliens is Alien 2
Alien 3 is Alien 3
Alien: Resurrection is Alien 4.

Like you wouldn't.

I saw a cut of this as part of a test audience. It's good if you're familiar with the other movies and you're knowledgeable about the mythos, but too many Prometheus callbacks will likely confuse a casual audience.

The tl;dr of the movie is that David creates the classic xenomorph by merging android "DNA" with the proto-xenomorph you see in the poster. This is what gives them their intelligence. We also find out a few new tricks that the xenos can do, which explains how they get around the ships so easily in the other films. Not going to spoil it, but the bio-mechanical appearance isn't just appearance any more. I think this one will divide Alien fans but I mostly liked it

isnt there two alien movies coming?

Is Waterston really playing Ripley's mom?

No, she's basically just a grunt.

How the hell can an android make a Xenomorph? It's an artificial creation.

Is Fassbender playing two characters?

>bio-mechanical appearance isn't just appearance any more

I can already tell where they are going with this. holy fucking shit WHY DO THEY KEEP MAKING IT WORSE STOP

B-but robo-xenos are cool!

haha I love to see fanboys pissed off at this crap

A basic form of the xenomorph already exists in the movie and takes up the bulk of it. This isn't the deacon from Prometheus but basically a pre-classic-xenomorph which is more natural and animal than the one from the old movies. David uses the catalyst oil to transform it into a life form that's sort of between organic and synthetic. It's why Ash is so fascinated with it in the first Alien film and regards it as perfect.

Yeah, two different androids. There's a sort of cat-and-mouse game where David is constantly being watched by Walter, who doesn't trust David at all. Walter attempts to "upgrade" David, and there's a twist where you find out that David has overcome his programming and become sentient, so it doesn't work, and he fucks over Walter. Superb performances by Fassbender again.

no one cares

PLAY OF THE GAME

MAY?
Where is the trailer though?

It is. From watching the Prometheus documentary "The Furious Gods", you see Ridley Scott repeatedly speak about how fast he's moving, how efficient he's being, even bypassing better choices for the movie because "there just wasn't time". On the other hand, you see lots of people on the production mention how terrible some of Scott's ideas were initially received unanimously (like the Space Jockey being a humanoid creature), while Scott pays no attention to this input because he's moving so fast.

Good products need time to mature, scripts become better by having time put into writing and rewriting. Look at how the John Carpenter's "The Thing" benefitted from having an extremely long pre-production time, which allowed the script to be improved on and the production to be much better thought out, which leads to a highly rewatchable movie with lots of small misteries and information conveyed just by the costumes, the set designs, camera motion and use of light and shadow, etc.

Expect another inferior alien movie.

He already did this with prometheus. Every effect you see, from the black goo bubbling in the vases to all the creatures (the snake, the squid that is given birth to, the big squid, the deacon at the end) had corresponding animatronics or puppets hand animated and filmed on set, and then reproduced digitally (which is why the cg is so good).

Also all sets were real - prometheus interiors and engineers ship interiors, only the exteriors were cg enhanced.

I see anti-Scott shitposters are adopting the "George Lucas strategy" of pointing at making-of footage as proof that the movie is bad, rather than referring to the movie itself with filmic arguments.

Making of footage shows how Ridley's obsession was with rushing instead of thinking things through, consult with people about the reception of ideas that would later be revealed to be terrible like shoehorning religion and creation of life on earth into the Alien franchise and cheapening the Space Jockey into silly greek gods. People expect much different things from the Alien franchise than these things. Also, it was written clumsilly, had multiple rewrites and reshoots, and you can tell as you watch the movie completely falling apart after the small alien birth, and the making of shows alternate ideas in those specifics scenes that were probably much better.

You see Ridley showing the new alien designs to HR Giger, and then see a couple of shitty sketches HR Giger did as suggestions, and even in their shittiness, they would obviously look very interesting in the movie, but "there simply was no time", showing that the move to bring Giger was mostly some sort of marketing move instead of a sincere wish to make it the best possible.

Humanoid space jockey was in the original Engineers script, dude.

And that was bad and poorly received by even the production people.

The original Alien 1 space jockey is a huge fossilized corpse of a elephant like creature, and much much larger than the human looking engineers.

The size retcon was the biggest fuckup.
The engineers were supposed to be fucking massive and mysterious, but he shrunk them down and turned them into albinos for some fucking reason.

That's fine, but you were blaming it on Scott.

You seem to be having reading comprehension, and also have not seen the documentary or read much about how Prometheus was made.

It's Scott's project all the way, giving the writers the base ideas for the scripts, and blame for not listening enough to the people giving him input. Lindelof might've suggested some of the religion details, but ultimately the religion angle was originally thought out by

I think the movie could largely benefit from cutting the religious aspects as much as possible, starting immediately in the Android scene in the ship (which feels like a natural beginning anyway) and cutting away the initial two scenes of the engineer drinking the liquid (thus leaving the engineer reveal for later instead of blowing your load in the first fucking scene) and cutting away the "we've found a star map in a cave, I'm not saying it was aliens but it was aliens".

I really don't know if I'm happy with this.

They fucking killed the Space Jockey mystery dead with that "Ancient Aliens" Engineer bullshit.

Does Covenant fix Prometheus at all?

The only way to save it is to somehow retcon it by having the actual giant elephant space jockey from the first Alien show up, surprise it's a different race than the space engineers, older and more advanced, have it show up and btfo of some engineers, in a similar fashion that the engineer wrecks the android and everyone in prometheus. The engineers would somehow consider it as god, the same way we're supposed to think of the engineers as gods by prometheus logic (fuck, what a stupid idea that was)

Be sure to keep the elephant space jockey it in the dark though, that seems to work

I like the idea of the Engineers being humans that found and fucked with a Space Jockey derelict a few years before Prometheus.

Doesn't explain the dumb as fuck star maps or anything but it's a start.

So you were wrong, but rather than admit it you are going to turn even more spurglord about it.

Yes, Scott had input, name the stupid fucking ships crashing into each other stuff and the religion angle. The Engineers however was the writer before Lindelof.

Take your whiny elephant bullshit somewhere else, dumbfuck, where you can pretend to know everything because you watched a documentary.

I've seen all the Predator and Alien movies, but never Prometheus. I avoided it because some people said it was dumb, is it worth watching?

Prometheus has amazing production values, sets, costumes, effects, some great performances, but starts falling apart about 2/3 into it.

Still worth watching

I'd say give it a go. It completely fucks the Alien series forever but it is oddly watchable.

I watched the making of, and listened to separate interviews with Spaits and Lindelof where they mentioned that they were given the outline of the ideas by Ridley. And you clearly see it's him supervising the whole project, being the producer and all (unlike previous projects like Alien, which is very much a studio project, the thing that gets so insulted these days, and worked so well at the time. That one also benefitted from cooking that script so many times and for so long, and not rushing, until they were filming and started rushing and fucked up some parts in doing so).

Other than insulting me you've not produced any counter information regarding these aspects. You're beginning to sound very shill like.

It's meh/okay at best.

What an unbelievably retarded image, especially considering Prometheus introduced new and far more interesting mystery into the franchise.

I got your back bro!

>Prometheus introduced new and far more interesting mystery into the franchise.

Have you told your parents yet that you're an absolute faggot?

The modern audience love of ridiculously stupid capeshit comic book films or silly Star Wars/Trek shit has killed sci-fi dead.

>having taste this bad
>being such a nostalgia deluded moron that you think a "space" movie that's really just a slasher in a factory except for one scene is better than the sense of discovery, adventure, mystery, and scale that is every scene of Prometheus

Alien is trash for the same people who like Arnold Schwarzenegger movies. Prometheus is by far the best contribution to that otherwise trash universe. You are dumb.

*tips*

My mistake for replying to now obvious bait.

your shitposting is weak, it's easy to tell you're not the same shitposter as before, you showed your hand my son

Am i actually the only one that actually liked Prometheus?

I think a lot of us liked Prometheus as a stand alone film, kind of, but just not as part of Alien.

this board is filled with alt right chimps who love bottom IQ garbage like the thing and predator, not exactly representative of good taste

Get back to your comic book super hero films you bender.

I just can't get excited for this movie after the abortion that was Prometheus (shit script, shit lead actors), I just hated it, it was literally convenience: the movie.

Prometheus wasn't even a horror movie. Black goop isn't interesting or exciting and neither are the Engineers at this point.

It was an adventure movie wrapped in the raped corpse of H.R. Giger's aesthetic.

Well i never really saw it as a Alien movie, simply because it wasnt called Alien.

I didn't see Alien until after Prometheus, so I didn't have much knowledge or sentimental attachment to the series or any of its mysteries, and I thought it was alright. The whole Chariots of Fire thing doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why others wouldn't like it. I don't think it would stand out very much outside of its visual elements if it wasn't connected to the Alien franchise, but it is watchable and entertaining in its own way.

>walter
yeah right

>new and far more interesting mystery into the franchise

You mean: How can Damon Lindelof still get a job?

>How can Damon Lindelof still get a job?
He knows people.

It's Ridley Scott dude. His films are filled with religious stuff. It's just his thing but it has been ramping up more over the years.

taste has nothing to do with competent film making, which thing and predator have and prometheus doesn't (for crucial parts)

I don't know why the "Run" just fucking triggers me. The date would have been just fine.

it's fine to have religion in your movies (prometheus could've worked better with just the engineers and space good, and absolutely no space jockey nor alien references at all), but it's stupid to try make it the core of an established idea with it's own very strong strengths in which it doesn't belong at all

I don't see how this was the first instance of a Xenomorph. In Alien VS Predator weren't they on Earth for thousands of years? Or is this non-canon? If so are we to assume that the Predator and Alien movies aren't actually connected, AvP was just some fanfic movie?

I think Ridley Scott has the rights to the franchise, so he can retcon at will and is free to run it into the ground single handedly (and doing great at it)

We already know the second android's name is Walter.

It's a pun on the franchise's producers, David Giler and Walter Hill.

Is it scary?

oh god..

>android DNA
what did you mean by this ?

You make the machine grow meat user, duh.

>I think the movie could largely benefit from cutting the religious aspects as much as possible
Why even make the movie then? If you took out every reference to greek and christian mythology there would be NOTHING left.

>I don't see how this was the first instance of a Xenomorph. In Alien VS Predator weren't they on Earth for thousands of years? Or is this non-canon? If so are we to assume that the Predator and Alien movies aren't actually connected, AvP was just some fanfic movie?

AvP is massively non-canon.

Prometheus is a remake of the first AvP.

>android "DNA"

Alien androids are entirely artificial, they're not replicants, they don't have DNA or cells, they're made of tubes, wires and copious amounts of cum.

Is there another, superior race then the engineers?

Thank MUH PLOT autists for this

He's memeing. Aliens is the best though.