-Gettysburg
-Gladiator
-Apocalypse Now

What else do you recommend.

Barry Lyndon
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Doctor Zhivago
Amadeus

Batman v Superman. Excellent historic study on post 9/11 American malaise.

The African Queen

The agony and the ecstasy

Glory
Gone with the wind
Spartacus
Cleopatra (an historical flop, but its not for lack of scope or grandeur)
The man who would be king

The end all be all epic right here

also Metropolis, The Ten Commandments, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Deer Hunter, Heaven's Gate, Ran, Exodus: Gods and Kings

Good lists senpai. I'll add:

Gone with the Wind
Zulu
The 10 Commandments
Paths of Glory
How the West was Won
The Patriot
Cold Mountain

Everything in this thread really, but I'll add Zulu and Excalibur to the list

>The Patriot
that movie is so fucking cheesy

Watching Mel Gibson kills British is always comfy

There are a few cool scenes of him being a badass, but not enough. Most of the movie is really schmaltzy garbage, like the scene where the girl gives a speech in the church. Holy shit that was corny

Braveheart is a hundred times better

Once Upon a Time in the West is my favorite western. As for other epics I'd suggest Seven Samurai and Patton

> nobody mentions this one
You are pleb. All of you.

Oh yeah its cheesy as fuck but its still fun to watch

Now you need to watch RAN.

What exactly makes an epic? Would A Bridge too Far count, or is the scope not large enough?

>Hnnnnnnnnnnnngggg
The longest day is also pretty great.

>What exactly makes an epic?
Scale and scope of the movie and production would be the easiest defining characteristics.

Master and Commander

>Patton
I would kill to see the opening of this movie on the big screen.

For Asian historical epics

> JAPAN (beyond 7 samurais because it's not historical)
Kagemusha: The tales a thief who's a perfect double of Shigen Takeda, one of the three most important warlord in Japan history (with Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu). He's recruited to be a kagemusha, a shadow clone made to replace him if he dies, which happen. The ex-thief suddenly has to shoudler the role of a charismatic warlord.

> CHINA
The Emperor and the Assassin: The subject of assassination attempt on Shi Huangdi, the tyranical first emperor of China, is a very very common movie theme (most recent one I remember would be Hero). This movie is probably the most interesting, well made and easy to understand, it's a real drama with characters you will care about.

Company of Heroes
Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter
Rome
miniseries, but literally god tier

-The Deluge (Potop)
-Soldier of Orange
-Patton
-La reine Margot
-Europa Europa
-Come and See
-The Great Escape
-The Winter War
-Play Dirty
-Von Ryan's Express
-City of Life and Death

Thanks for adding to the list.

Yeah, Rome is good.

I would add Hornblower and Sharpe.

If you want to learn about french history, there's a decent Napoleon miniserie but if you want something REALLY good you have to watch this:

> THE CURSED KINGS (the old version, not the crappy remake)
Philippe IV "le Bel", king of France, is strong and ruthless king. To reduce the debt of the crown, he killed many jewish bankers and destroyed the Templar Order, who used to manage the royal treasure, by accusing them of heresy and many other crimes.

Burning at the stake, the grand master of the Templar Order cursed the name of Philippe le Bel and promised suffering for him and his sons... AND ITS ALL DOWNHILL FROM THERE, watch as the most powerful monarchy of its time suddenly crumble and face setbacks after setbacks, unexplained death and petty disputes, leading to one of the worst conflict in history: the century war.

The Cursed Kings very peculiar storytelling will be hard to follow at first but becomes very addictive once you've adapt.

Kingdom of Heaven (director's cut)

Would've been a 10/10 if it wasn't for some revisionist bullshit

>revisionist bullshit
like ?

4 U