I've never bought a record player before. I want to get one. What do?

I've never bought a record player before. I want to get one. What do?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GgAUxJmh5uE
youtu.be/abUcpCtMke0
youtube.com/watch?v=1qtxPSR8q98
youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZ9liZO-f8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

garage sales

over paying for a vinyl player is a fucking meme

Sharp RP-117 or else it is literal fucking dog shit

buy the cheapest one on ebay with an adjustable counterweight

>400-600 dollars
>Being this retarded

Yeah, don't do that

Technics sl 1300

don't
you're throwing more money into a system that neither sounds better nor adds extra quality to the listening experience that relies on archaic technology and requires a large amount of space

Isn't cool to have vinyl packaging from your favorite artist though? Lotta little extra stuff.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

And $400 grand total for a complete working RP-117 would be something stupid not to buy.

>not having a literally complete collection of locked groove albums

If you’re using it as an investment, sure, but if that’s how you’re treating it you wouldn’t play the record anyway since every play depreciates its value

dbx vinyl is about as good as anything is going to sound

>not having a laser needle

>taking the album out of its packaging
also decreases the value

Check Craigslist, garage sales, thrift shops, Goodwill, etc. and find a cheap used turntable.

go to r/vinyl for buying guides and more info

In most cases it actually doesn't because factory sealed records are extremely easy to counterfeit. It would need to have a sticker or something. It's just simple blow dry cellophane.

alright mr man out of time how the fuck are you even criticizing this? you dont even know anything other than records. youre out of time. act your "meta" role if your gonna be a tripfag. unless your going for "future", then my bad, keep talking about dated tech. or unless youre going with the "wrong generation" thing as a tripfag, which is the worst. if so, realize what you have done for your own self-satisfaction to break anonymity on the board, and reflect on your choices

before anyone calls LOLREDDIT this is really good advice

oh wow please educate me on how a fucking needle and a motor attached to a plastic plate at $400 dollars is better than one at $20

Protip: You can't.

youtu.be/GgAUxJmh5uE

Otherwise it is 100% empirical knowledge

There are literally two choices. The RP-117

Or this
youtu.be/abUcpCtMke0

youtube.com/watch?v=1qtxPSR8q98

Yes, but checking the record for authenticity takes a lot less time than playing it through. Exposure will lead to wear.
Are you all right

You're just talking in circles now. There is only one way to hear a locked groove album. Not to mention the countless albums only available on vinyl.

The sidebar of stickies on r/vinyl is your fucking friend. Great stuff. Even if their actual record taste us straight up Sup Forumscore.

right the same people that say you can't buy new cheap record players which are actually just fine.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZeZ9liZO-f8

This might sound dumb but do many turntables have 1/4" output jacks and can be connected to a tube powered guitar amp to use as the speakers?

Every turntable I've ever fucked with is connected via audio splitter. Im sure there's adapters you could find though.

Buy a used Technics 1200

> kept close eye on local online ads
> scored 2nd hand Rega RP1 for $200
I'd have to spend a shit load more to get something much better.

My brother works for ABT and says he'll snag me a record player for Christmas for under $200. What's the best one to get?
Keep in mind This is gunna be babbys first record player and te only records I have are 60s rock from flea markets and Marquee Moon that I got on a trip to NY

Throw in a hundred of your own money and get a LP-120

if you live in NYC, stop by TTL. we'll sort you out :^)

>he thinks he did it right by buying a semi expensive turn table that isn't even that impressive
>he doesn't even have an expensive thousands of dollars speaker set up to even hear the sound quality difference
>he paid 600 dollars for a record player
>he's only been into vinyl for six months

You're an idiot that could have saved $430.

CLEAN those records. look up how to do it. ezpz

A lot of people in here seem to have zero fucking knowledge on record players giving advice. How about you all shut the fuck up.

OP. Get a cheap one with an adjustable counterweight and buy a new headshell and cartridge. Google that shit and you'll find more info than on this piece of shit board.

You also need to work out if the one you wanna buy has a phono preamp or not. if not, you need to buy a phono preamp, or have an amp with a phono input(unlikely). You're best bet for entry level is to get one with a preamp already on it.

I picked up a JVC from 70 for $5. Best call I ever made.

Buy a cd player instead

minidisc

do u need to buy speakers with a turntable that has a built in pre amp?

I have absolutely no idea what your asking, you of course need speakers or headphones for any setup.

Come to think of it you might think a pre-amp is like a guitar amp that has a built-in speaker, which in case I'll say you might be a little young (or old for that matter) to be on this sight.
Merry Christmas, if you're new here I would recommend leaving as it will only make life less enjoyable as the board quality has gone down.

You...need to buy speakers regardless. The pre-amp just determines if you need to have an amp or not.

the lp60 is fine, I have one and it's never given me any issues. Quality isn't perfect but that doesn't even matter unless you have top end speakers or headphones.