Why do people hate this film? Theatrical Version is pretty good

Why do people hate this film? Theatrical Version is pretty good.

Because it's a borderline parody in a franchise of serious films.

>I don't like the new movie
>so I'm compelled to seek comfort in the older movies even if they suck

How does it feel to be predictable, op?

>How does it feel to be predictable, op?
I don't know you tell me.

I love Prometheus. I'm not a fan of Alien 1-3 though.

That alienhuman hyprid in the end is god tier monster.

A lot of people disliked how violent and gross it was.

1) The addition of a fourth film ruins what had already been a perfectly satisfactory trilogy (albeit with a flawed third installment), which not only did not need to be continued, but the conclusion of which would have seemed to foreclose the possibility of any continuation. People like trilogies. People do not like quadrilogies.

2) Because of 1), people correctly felt at the time that the titular "resurrection" of the Ripley character was hokey, forced, and nonsensical. Especiallly since in light of 1), this premise bends over backwards to un-close the perfectly, nicely closed trilogy. It was basically a slapdash "we can clone her!" premise without any rigor or even much explanation. What are they supposed to have done, scraped up one of Ripley's left over hairs at Fury 161, and used that as a basis? How, then, are they supposed to have "re-grown" an imitation queen (or whatever) along with same specimen? They never even bother attempting to explain this in any detail, where an explanation and yes, two minutes of Mr. Exposition are warranted. We're all supposed to have just watched Jurassic Park and "just gotten it", but what the premise calls for is quite a lot more involved than that, since two organisms are implied.

3) The aliens look ridiculous in comparison with the versions of the first two films. Even their alien-goop is dripping off them far too rapidly, to the point of absurdity, where this element causes one to reinstate disbelief.

4) Overall, the film has very try-hard "90's" themes which are horribly dated. The genetic engineering sci-fi story theme has already been mentioned. Add to these Winona Ryder's unlikeable (what amounts to an) animal rights activist/good little leftist, and the PC-shoehorning in of one handicapped character who miraculously survives, only one of four and you end up with a dated 90s flick with its dated 90s peccadilloes.

5. For all that, one redeeming quality: Brad Dourif.

Yes it's ok, but it compares badly to 1 and 2.

Get out of here, Joss.

Original artworks were dope but they changed it at the last minute because the teenage son of one of the producer find it lame.

Yeah brad dourif was fucking cool in this movie.
At least Fincher got the excuse of having to deal with producers bullshit. Jeunet is a talented filmmaker love his trademark shots and some of his movies are kino but fuck, with that cast and even if you forget the scenario, fucking up this movie so much is quite an accomplishment in its own

Joss whedon script, 'nuff said

I watched it yesterday. It's absolute fucking garbage. It every sense of the word. From the basket ball scene, to Ripley acting like a fucking weirdo, to Ripley having "inherited" alien powers through her Dna. The tone doesn't fit the other 3 AT ALL. It's a joss Whedon shit show. It has the tone of any of his cringy movies

Cynical nostalgia or SNL effect. It happens with everything. The original work and its sequel are usually put on a pedestal, and anything afterwards is trashed just because it's not the original work or sequel. Same happens with TV shows, bands, books, games, etc. The proof of this is that you NEVER find a franchise where the consensus is that a later addition to said franchise was the best. It's always something from the early years, every single time. It defies probability that this would always be the case if things were being viewed objectively.

>shitty acting
>shitty script
>shitty directing
Its worse than the ones that came before it

Alien franchise died as soon as they made the aliens into cannon fodder in the second film.
>Hurrr muh low IQ human marines can kill thousands of aliens with their tech bot turrets
That one scene killed the entire franchise because now every cuck director thinks that's okay to do.

I think Resurrection is better than 3. Perlman is based af.

yes

>Totally ok with the original ayy getting taken out by a completely untrained, unarmed and panicky space-trucker
>Highly trained marines with practical experience engaging various hostile lifeforms and equipped with advanced military equipment killing a few dozen of them is too much though

Is this this 'autism' thing I've heard so much about?

>It defies probability that this would always be the case if things were being viewed objectively.

No, it's simple survivorship bias. If the first film bombs, it never develops into a series in the first place.

A little bit of that enters into it for sure. But it still doesn't stand to reason that, out of the countless franchises that exist across the full range of media, none of these franchises with an opener good enough to spawn the franchise ever received an entry later into the franchise that beat the original.

Something weird about it, i remember the VHS i watched it in had an intro where the camera hovered over the molten leftovers of ripley and the alien from alien 3, but now that i downloaded the HD version the intro is some strange fly with teeth being squashed inside a ship in space.
WTF
were i in a alternative universe ?

Let's be honest. Compared to Alien vs Predator and AvP Requiem, Alien Resurrection is masterpiece.

Stylistically the movie is like one of those Dark Horse Alien Comics. It's almost an Alien Comic addaption kind of movie - and this is something certain people didn't like, which is fine.

But like I said, let's be real. It was the last "good" Alien movie.

Weyland Yutani got bought out by Walmart lmao!!

>the camera hovered over the molten leftovers of ripley and the alien from alien 3
I can't remember this

That strange fly is from the Special Edition which is 7 minutes longer than the Theatrical cut. 7 minutes with unnecessary bullshit.

It has this whole European dark comedic feel that's totally inappropriate for an Alien movie.
Too overacting.

They kill the best bad guy first.

SPACE SMUGGLERS >>>> SPACE MARINES
it's just waaaayy more comfy.

It's Joss Whedon's fanfic with a budget

A total piece of shit, the only redeeming factor being the aesthetic of the ship

5 minutes in, it fucking sucks.