Sup Forums Christmas gets

What are some cool music related gifts you got, Sup Forums?

Pic related is a record shelf I got. Also got Hissing of Summer Lawns by Joni Mitchell and the discography of 5th Dimension

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KsH63qJlIMM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Headphones, a box of ammo, some new balance shoes, and some candy

got the black/gold ltd edition of Petestrumentals 2 and a tom waits album. not bad

finally got a physical copy of my fave album. the cd has a really interesting design on it

>a tom waits album.
Which one? Nice get with the Pete Rock album.

Blood Money

>buying CDs

Got these records today.
Station to station is scratched :(

>vinyl editions of digitally-mastered albums
god i hate Sup Forums kiddies

What?

Lots of good picks here.

Did you ask for these albums specifically or did someone who's not into music pick them out for you? Because that would be the only way to explain such a shit lot

>"digitally-mastered albums in vinyl are bad" meme again
Shut up

Bump

Might as well post closeups of the actual collection since there might be discussion there.

1/7. Sorry if some are illegible.

2/7.

3/7.

Collections full of used records will never not seem off to me. It just feels so disingenuous, like the backdrop of a character's apartment on a movie set.

>CATS original broadway recordings
Like come one man, even if you like it you didn't go out looking for that. What's the point?

4/7

5/7

The cats one was a gift from a grandparent. I shop at thrift stores a lot. I record shop mostly for the surprise/wondering what’s behind each record. The variety is what’s fun for me. If you shop for records a different way then good for you.

The 5/7 picture was terrible so here’s a redo of that. Not deleting the original since I replied to another user.

6/7

Final.
Feel free to rate any you recognize.

I work at a record store and collect in a similar way and it's hilarious how different our collections are.

How different are they? Can I see some of yours?

I have plastic sleeves on all of mine so I cant really show them that way. I post my recent finds sometimes on here. This one was from a few months back.

>In Rainbows
Marry me.

But I already see a major difference. You have a lot of “newer” stuff meanwhile I try to focus on 70s and 60s albums since those are my favorite decades. I usually avoid newer albums since those are easier to access and I collect mainly to discover hidden gems.

Newest record I have is from 2002 and that was a birthday gift.

I actually got a nice U-Turn record player. Pretty happy about it.

That's pretty cool. In the past few months I've into'd psych rock and have gotten things like soft machine or a mad river boot leg.
Also, I tend to see newer records when they come in used at the record store before anyone else so I get brand new (pretty good condition) for like $7. I'm drunk so I hope that wasn't gibberish lel.

nice lte reissue, got the set a few months back

Goddamn. I love this album. People just don't get it.
I'm from tx and laughed pretty hard at the red and blue vinyl. nice and holy.

Brother I don’t even end up having to pay $7 I usually pay a lot cheaper.

When I shop at thrift stores they’re usually about a buck and when I go to sal. Army/good will stores they’re usually ten fucking cents so as you can get imagine I can get a pretty big Hall withou even breaking a $10.

Get some outer sleeves dude.

My Mom volunteers at a thrift store and snagged these for me for cheap. I also got like forty books. Absolutely based, thanks so much Mom.

Hot damn, just the thread I was looking for. Can someone recommend me a record shelf/holder to buy? I have about 30 records now but I want one that'll hold at least 50. I don't collect records at a fast rate and so a place for 50-75 is more than enough for now.

LPs:
Meat Puppets - Up on the Sun
Melvins - Stoner Witch
Slint - Spiderland
David Bowie - Scary Monsters
The Damned - Machine Gun Ettiquite

A Wizard A True Star is a great album.

Jesus you MUST be younger than me, and I'm not even old enough to be on here

glad that my family really get me

dunno if youre gonna see this but i got mine at target. little 30 dollar book shelf. buy a couple of them, maybe clamp them together if youre a pansy with kids or something

>vinylstack.jpg
i feel like i'm getting baited here, but you dont wanna stack up your records like that, it can damage them. Prop them up against something :)

3 pairs of Dickies utility pants for work. A lot of new socks, and a new pair of flannel pajama pants.

I bought myself some ambient and neo-folk cassettes on Bandcamp too.

What ambient and new-folk cassettes were they?

*neo

I literally dislike vinyl

you canadian eh?

Was pretty nice to get these but I don't have a fucking turntable. I get that most people just display vinyl but I really want to hear the 'hypersonic' or whatever recording of akira.

Are you a big Patti LaBelle fan?
youtu.be/KsH63qJlIMM

stop using literally like that you filthy animal

Yeah, still here. Thanks, I'll look into it. We don't have target anymore where I live, but we have similar stores

Does being an asshole make you happy?

OP is back.
I haven't heard much of her but I have enjoyed what I heard. I'm kind of going in 'order' with them and I got up to the two Depeche Mode vinyl last, so after I listen to my new 5th Dimension records I'm gonna be listening to.101 Strings. (which are everywhere for some reason, I liked the first one I heard).

Got a vinyl copy of Teens of Denial and a pair of Symphonized earbuds from my mom. Nothing too fancy.

Bought a turntable and a semi decent headphone amp with my Christmas cash

stop making sense on bluray
paprika soundtrack
vinyl:
syro
apostrophe
twin peaks s3 music/soundtrack
we're only in it for the money
ghost in the shell ost
mad max trilogy
lost highway ost
this old dog

pretty good score id say

People always reccomend me ikea for that type of thing. Maybe just try stores around you that have cheap """"modern"""" furniture. Or shop around with a cheap vinyl at thrift stores and find a cheap book shelf that fits the vinyl cozy.

Ikea not-Expedits are still a best in terms of build and quality but yes, Target sells a similar shelf set.

Those top 3 ones

You really should. I prefer the vinyl tracklist order more that the digital version.

>Most people just display vinyl
I hope that’s not true that’s an awful waste. Hope you get a player soon. I use a Jensen.

Picked up this badboy. Now I can finally get into some proper producing.

I got the entertainment or whatever boxsets 1953-1957, 1957-1960 and 1960-1963 for Mingus and it has all but like two records between 1953 and 1963. It has a total of like 25 albums (including an EP that I didnt even know existed). I don't have a picture atm but its pretty sick

Nothing is better than Jensen (and similar)

Pretty pleased. Charlie Brown is tight as fuck.

Magma came with a t-shirt, sffb is the yellow one, the injury reserve is both full albums, portal is grey/white, and giles corey is red with the book

1/2

Haven't heard of holy modal rounders, what am I in for?
2/2

Bumping. Here’s the records specifically.

Horse Rotorvator and the hissing of summer lawns are the only good records I've seen in this thread so far

You gotta listen to the 5th Dimension dude you're missing out.

It's true though

Not their best album, but the press is fucking sick.

Whether a vinyl release has any benefit over a CD/digital release depends on the source used and format mastering differences.

Still waiting for my Portal OST
Speaking of which, bought Portal's Outre and preordered Ion, looks very promising

bump

top 3 were christmas gifts. got nucelar sad nuclear when i saw #12 live a couple days ago. rest were just finds when i was christmas shopping at this exchange store and couldn't help myself go through the records

stoner witch is great. heard a lotta people trash all the melvins represses on third man records but mine sounds ok
i go through work socks like water so i was actually glad to get some nice ones this year lmao
how much did you pay for horse rotorvator?
jelly of that chocolate wheelchair album

Gimmick

OP here.
Just got done with the 5D records.
God damn they were good.

just started my cd collection, r8 my picks
sorry for the shit quality, blame my phone for that

at least you picked a non shit arctic monkeys album
too bad about paramore though

Hissing of Summer Lawns fuckin' smokes, especially on vinyl.

It's my favorite Joni LP which is why I wanted it so much. The goal next is getting Hejira and Both Sides Now.

I'm gonna need more info on the autographed Slint record. Where did you find that?

My gf got me this really nice sharper image record player and a copy of wu tangs iron flag, my sister got me a Crosley player so I told her to return it and she gave me the money and I bought a few more records off discogs :D

holy shit bro
don't do that to yourself

Wait, i heard somewhere that it's not good to stack records horizontally because they'll warp, is this just a meme / highly unlikely? i just put in a shelf and i'm wondering if it matters

Not autographed unfortunately. It seems to have belonged to a local university radio station, and they wrote the channel name (CHRY) all over the cover and on the record label to discourage theft I guess. Still, the record is an original Canadian pressing from 1991 and in 9/10 and it was only $10. These fuckers sell for a lot on discogs.

Not much of an issue unless it's over a long period of time, or under high heat, or a fuckload of records. The weight of 10 records isn't going to ruin them.

They’re not actually stacked like that. The photo just rotated when I posted it. Here’s a more proper pic.

what?

by high heat do you mean an actual source of heat like an open fire or something or direct sunlight, the way my shelf is positioned would get direct sunlight but i'm the kind of soyboy who can't stand heat so i've got a fan on almost 24 / 7

Ahah tru patrishian xDdd
Fucking kys

I got absolutely nothing. I spent over 800 dollars on gifts for friends and various family members. It's weird getting older guy's.

Purchased for myself while shopping at hometown rec store. Ligeti record has volumina which is in my top 10 tracks of all time.

I got bitcoin, kind of a weird gift but thanks mom

You got kids?

sharper image is just as bad as crosley my guy

Nope. Im only 25 i want to wait until at least 30

It's a marantz and the speakers are JBL