/lang/ - Language Learning

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

(more info can be found in the following posts)

Other urls found in this thread:

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup
duolingo.com/
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
memrise.com/
lingvist.com/
clozemaster.com/languages
tatoeba.org/eng/
effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
lexicity.com/
cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
dliflc.edu/resources/products/
en.childrenslibrary.org
hellotalk.com/#en
italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
goethe-verlag.com/
languagetransfer.org/
babadum.com
context.reverso.net/translation/
pscp.tv/w/1lPJqyvkpyYJb
mega.nz/#!jE0VwBaD!GFh-a4P41CcXodXiE2gBfOORHk5PsNVgB1sbgUjl4d0
mega.nz/#!qENUHK4L!xyNzAa3y2HlpAPnfmGqETJeqzS0zg_AqBiFg_4yYOUY
youtube.com/watch?v=2OR-LoJcxeg
youtube.com/watch?v=oQurxv77QDI
youtube.com/watch?v=ba7_3yytb7E
youtube.com/watch?v=K5UW3yv7JxY
branah.com/farsi
youtube.com/watch?v=OsW02rXF3SM
youtube.com/watch?v=hJ-MfVj2qRc
youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7mt30A6aY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

effectivelanguagelearning.com/language-guide/language-difficulty
>Check out information about languages and their difficulties

lexicity.com/
>An invaluable resource for comparative language study as well as those interested in ancient languages

cosmogyros.tumblr.com/post/108962232110/huge-new-language-learning-collection
>A very extensive language learning collection for 90+ languages.

dliflc.edu/resources/products/
>Similar to FSI, drill-based courses with text and audio issued by the US government.These courses were made for millitary personel in mind unlike FSI.

en.childrenslibrary.org
>Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo.

hellotalk.com/#en
>The app is basically whatsapp, but only connects you with people who are native in the language you are trying to learn. It also has a facebook type section where you can share pics and stuff too.

italki.com/
mylanguageexchange.com/
interpals.net/
gospeaky.net/
speaky.com/
polyglotclub.com/
lang-8.com/
>Few more language exchange communities like Hellotalk:

goethe-verlag.com/
>A mostly free site which offers audio and drill like exercises for 40+ languages.

languagetransfer.org/
>A free resource with recordings to learn a language.

babadum.com
>Flash card game with a focus on vocabulary.

context.reverso.net/translation/
>A website like Tatoeba (also has a Firefox extension!)

Any recommended French grammar textbooks/study programs which feature heavy grammar? Right now I'm reading articles and books in French and listening to Michel Thomas but I feel like I need to do more grammar heavy stuff.

I'm starting my French curses on Monday. Very excited about it.

>I'm starting my French curses on Monday.
Sacre-bleu

Why not now

There goes my weekend.

Wonder if this would help a beginner even.

Just about done with Duolingo and Memrise French lads. I'll be done with Duo in five days and Memrise a few days after that.

Feels good 2bh but I don't know where to go from here. Should I pick up Assimil Using French? I don't want to do Assimil Basic French because I feel like I already know all the now and I don't want to blow a ton of money on redundancy.

Also I'm interested in Spanish but I don't know when I should stop French and start Spanish. Pls advise me.

>pscp.tv/w/1lPJqyvkpyYJb
what the fuck is this app, these girls don't look older than 14

Why not just torrent it?

Lel

'cause that's out of my control, the academy where I'm going to starts giving their courses on Monday. Fours months in total.

Because I'm sick with western civilization. I literally want to flee from here as far as possible.
This whole advanced level of faggotry is making me sick.

>t. /pol

Where can I find the audio for teach Yourself. Don't feel like paying 20-30 quid for just for audio included but I can't find the audio on pirate bay (Spanish and Turkish courses)

Why to the chinks though, they're slowly giving in. Why not go join a christian community in MENA.

Reposting this from last thread because I found it interesting.

I am a tech-let and don't know how.

>accent in my head is perfect
>accent when I speak is pig-disgusting trash that makes me ashamed to even exist
Not a huge deal since I'm a socially awkward loser who'll never speak to a real life German but I guess I'll just read aloud like a goof and get my tongue used to doing these strange movements.

No vocaroo link for you, I don't need anons bullying me.

Cheers :)

need anything?

>

Has anyone here tried Mango? It looks like it covers vocabulary and grammar, but not sure if it's worth the money.

Never tried it but I can do it through my local library for free, just need a library card/account. I don't know if they have the full thing or if you eventually have to pay or whatever.

Check out your library system and see if they have it as well.

Just the Teach Yourself stuff and Turkish tea time. Thanks man.

mega.nz/#!jE0VwBaD!GFh-a4P41CcXodXiE2gBfOORHk5PsNVgB1sbgUjl4d0

I didn't think of that. My university might give a discount or offer it for free.

mega.nz/#!qENUHK4L!xyNzAa3y2HlpAPnfmGqETJeqzS0zg_AqBiFg_4yYOUY

rica ederim

You need to keep talking out loud

I still feel stupid speaking in a Spanish accent, even though Spanish speakers have encouraged me a lot with it. It's probably a confidence issue, just keep practising the difficult German sounds and saying German sentences you come up with in your head aloud. Do it in the shower as well that helped me

What's Sup Forums's experience with Hindi or Urdu? Is the grammar particularly complex or difficult for an English speaker? I have a few years experience of Spanish and some self-taught linguistics if that'd help. I find learning those languages a compelling idea, or another Sanskrit based language cause my girlfriend is Panjabi, I don't know how useful or practical it'd be though. Thoughts, Sup Forums?

This. I just checked it and every girl I found was a jailbait.

>German
Isn't that 'useless' for an American?
How do you respond when someone says that?

(different user)
when i cared about the language i just said that it was a way for me to connect with my roots to tried to prove that it actually was useful (but the hard truth is: it actually isn't useful unless you're going to live in Germany and be an engineer).

Does it ever get easier, lads? Feels like I'm trying to climb up a giant greased bowling ball, I'm always reading and hearing new things that baffle me.

yes

Okay I'm really sold now.

Anyone learning russian here?

>What language are you learning?
Dutch

It's pretty easy.
Very similar to English, but not understandable enough for people to get what I'm saying.

I like it because the best hardcore/gabber is made in the Netherlands.

I'm user from last thread who was inquiring on whether it's worth it to try learning an irrelevant dying language

I've decided: I'm going to fucking do it, lads. I'm going to try to learn the Mari language. It's probably a dumb idea, but fuck it, I can't recall the last time I've felt this hype about anything. I'm letting my autism lead me on to new glorious adventures.

I just need to fix my fucking input method so I can actually use the special snowflake Mari cyrillic letters (ӱ, ӧ, ҥ), and tomorrow I'm starting. I have everything else ready (incredibly, there's a very extensive webcourse already prepared, including a 700-page manual and plenty of tools, and it's still a work in progress with more to come the next few years).

thanks a bunch once again, anons. god's work you're doing.

wish I could repay you back somehow, but your english skills are probably already better than mine, and I don't think you're learning turkish.

>I'm going to try to learn the Mari language
>in cyrillic

b-but that's the official script, user. It's not like there's a huge diversity of ressources for this language, and what little there is is mostly in Cyrillic. Though, from my digging online, there does seem to be some Maris who use the Latin script, however there's no official version, so for example for the letter ы, some people will use ä, whereas others will use ə.

Believe me, though, I really wished it just used Latin and I didn't have to use Cyrillic. Cyrillic cursive/italics are a fucking nightmare, typing is simply much slower and much less effective, and it's not exactly adapted to a language like Mari, which unlike Russian only has a little bit of palatalization, which forces you to do weird shit like occasionally substitute a normal "j" (for which one would normally use й) for ъ. ъ is fuck a stupid fucking letter, really.

I still can't decide between Spanish and Dutch. I'm aware that Spanish is incredibly useful and has tons of resources, literature, and entertainment to choose from. Dutch doesn't really have any of that, but I have two Dutch friends who are excited to see me learn their language and personally I find it more fun. What to do, Sup Forums?

also, just an example of how unappealing Cyrillic can be (especially given how common the letter ы is in Mari), take a look at the word for "future":

>ončäkäläk (this appears to be a Turkic loanword - there seem to be many of those in Mari)
>oнчыкылык

To me, the Latin version seems to much clearer, despite the fact that I'm relatively familiar with reading Cyrillic.

You can try Guarani, really. I bet there would be some ParaguayANOs that can help you.

It's too late now since I've already made up my mind, but Guarani does actually interest me, and Paraguay is probably the LatAm country that interests me the most.

Maybe some other day. If nothing else, this experiment will teach me if I can or can't manage to learn a completely irrelephant language.

bumpster

I wish to learn Spanish so that I at least have a basic requirement for living in Panama or whatever down. What content in the Spanish language should I watch? I've heard that the Latino dub of The Simpsons is really good.

Sounds cool.
youtube.com/watch?v=2OR-LoJcxeg

is there any resource for losing your accent/sounding at least close to what a native sounds like?

Spanish is so much more useful, but you need to be motivated so learn which ever you want. Your Dutch friends might like the idea of you learning but they probably don't really care if you do or don't.

Thanks m9, I didn't see your reply despite (because of?) it being sandwiched by mine.

He means why wouldn't you start learning right now, on your own.

Are you thinking about Taiwan or are you taking the plunge into the mainland?

Honestly? You can just try to learn both of them.

Both should be easy enough for an English speaker, yet different enough to avoid confusion.

I'd still recommend doing a few weeks of one language before starting the other, though, in order to avoid getting overwhelmed.

What's the difference in Spanish between 'modo' and 'manera'? They both seem to mean way/manner.

"Modo" is the Spanish equivalent of English "mode", though it has a little more uses than its English counterpart. It can sometimes be used in the same way you would use "manera" ("hazlo de este modo" is exactly the same as "hazlo de esta manera") but you can also use it in situations where "manera" wouldn't fit as well ("la cámara de mi teléfono tiene 3 modos de operación").

It's more of a difference in nuance than a difference in meaning, desu.

Thank you!

bump

Leaning languages is fucking hard. I don't even know how I was able to learn English.

I've changed a game into French but I can't change the subtitles into English whilst keeping a French dub. Is there any point in playing this game? I know what to do and can understand a few words but 90% of it goes over my head.

So I want to learn Korean, for reasons including having friends in Korea, and general longstanding interest. Since I know Japanese pretty well, would using a Japanese resource be a good idea for learning Korean?

>What's Sup Forums's experience with Hindi or Urdu?
I have none

Anything user, just post it here.

¿Te gusta éste estilo de música? The accent in a few words it's a bit strong.
youtube.com/watch?v=oQurxv77QDI

Hindi-Urdu grammar is not difficult. You would mainly struggle with vocabulary, but your girlfriend should be able to teach you some.

By the way, Urdu is not Sanskrit-based. It can only be called Sanskrit-based in the sense that English is based on Proto-Germanic, and the difference is at least just as big. Hindi is just Urdu infused with Sanskrit vocabulary, which lends it an artificial character.

This is clearer and has lyrics on it
youtube.com/watch?v=ba7_3yytb7E

Also, I like this one a lot.

Are you talking about series, movies, music, anything??
There're dubbed versions of most American shows, everything popular is dubbed.

I'm talking about series mainly, but if I'm watching dubs, they have to be good.

Keeping in mind that dubs are never as good as the originals, you can watch anything really. Stay away from the anime dubs though, for some reason those are horrible in comparision.
Animated movies like Shrek and such are good.
youtube.com/watch?v=K5UW3yv7JxY

Wow I never realised I was completely wrong about Hindi and Urdu. I should probably do more research.

Yeah I'm hoping she could help but she's not completely confident herself, and I can't expect any help from her family cause I'm the wrong skin colour for them. I'm gonna look for some resources

What's your skin colour?

White. Not 100% white but 3/4 grandparents are anglos
>Inb4 race betrayer

there is literally nothing wrong with impregnating Desi girls

Um... Im new in this, i read the wiki for german but... I had some questions...

Anybody can help me?

don't ask to ask

Can anyone post that recording of that Bulgarian guy pretending to be french ?

Post your questions

Kek, I don't really think in those terms. Well, maybe her parents will change their opinion with time. How long have you been together? Are you serious about her?

It works, lads!

I can now easily into Ӱӱ Ӧӧ Ҥҥ

>don't ask to ask

Ok, sorry.

Well they are serious questions, I simply want to learn the language because it is a good complement to my university career, so much of the vocabulary is quite indifferent to me (I'm not interested in knowing how to say "Grasshopper" in German.) All this raises the question.

1. Is it necessary to learn all the vocabulary or can I focus on the areas I need?
2. The wiki says that the articles are important when it comes to learning vocabulary, I guess it's the same as in Spanish, but ... What is the degree of importance of them? I know that I will learn it in the future, but I'm curious now.
3. The German frequency dictionary cover the 85% of all written, Does that include scientific language?

Nothing more.

>What is the degree of importance of them?
like you said, it's like Spanish where nouns have genders

However, Spanish is relatively in terms of gender. Sure, there are exceptions (el agua, la mano, etc.), but the overwhelming majority of Spanish nouns have genders which are easy to guess. German is a lot more difficult, so it's definitely more important in German to learn nouns with der/die/das in front of them. Also, if you're doing flashcards or anything of the sort, and you have the option of making them case-sensitive, I would recommend using that option and making every noun with a capital first letter. So, for example, your flashcard would be "der Hund", which would also allow you to become disciplined with nouns and capital letters in Germans.

Um... Okay... Okay... Thank you

>Spanish is relatively in terms of gender
relatively easy*

A couple of years now, she's more serious than I am but I think a lot of girls are like that, I'd prefer her being a bit clingy than be a whore.

I know a Pakistani guy whose wife is white, they're four kids deep into their marriage and his mum has only just recently accepted that they're married and started talking to them again. It's crazy that this happens in my country but at the same time it's pretty fucked up. Don't let anyone bullshit you that whites don't get discriminated against, man

How does Sup Forums find learning languages of drastically different typology? I can imagine myself finding a heavily agglutinative language very difficult to wrap my head around, but I can't imagine finding an IE language nearly as difficult. Anyone here a native English speaker of a drastically different language like Turkish or Chinese? How did you find the jump from one typology to another?

German learner here on the off-chance you're still here
1. Get the general essentials + your focus should be fine. If you don't need to know animals don't learn them.
2. Really fucking important. The German case system needs to use articles that change depending on grammatical position of the noun. Don't stress over it but don't skimp on it. I felt I learned them pretty naturally.
3. Probably not. Frequency dictionaries usually focus on everyday conversation stuff. Most people don't use the word "bio-chemistry" in daily life but the scientist does.

For those who are also learning to use a different keyboard, how long do you find it takes to become somewhat familiar with it? I've been using the persian keyboard for a week or so now to make flashcards in anki, and have an idea of which corner of the keyboard all letters are, but only a few letters I know the exact key by heart. I always have this site open for reference. branah.com/farsi

>Leaning languages is fucking hard. I don't even know how I was able to learn English.
I'm trying to learn Spanish and I might be too retarded for this. I keep forgetting words and can't think fast enough to respond to Pimsleur. I have to keep repeating lessons over and over again.

Can anyone tell me the amount of words I should be learning a day?

Also, are there any good courses online for intermediate level Spanish?

What have you done/what tools have you used so far? Like have you completed Duolingo? Have you messed with Lingvist? Have you completed Pimsleur?

thanks user
me gustan más rap y metal (lo prefiero rápido y energético) pero me parece que no hayan tantas canciones buenas rap o metal en español
te gustaría que postee algúna canción en turco?

When I was learning Cyrillic for the first time, I simply printed pic related out and pasted it on the wall in front of my computer. Some people even take it a step further, and actually paste the cyrillic letters on the keys themselves.

Other than that it's like you said, you start out just memorizing a few specific ones, and remembering the general region for others. For those which aren't used as much and/or which you forget, you then have the picture of the layout to help you out. After that, there's no secret method other than practice (just like how you became good at typing on a normal QWERTY keyboard as a child/adolescent).

I don't really use Duolingo because I feel I know the majority of it already. My daily routine for spanish is watching a 40 minute tv show and going over my flashcards. Occasionally I'll read something in spanish, and I make sure to add any word I don't know to my flashcards.

I am a Chicano, so I grew up around a lot of spanish speaking people. However, I often times feel like I don't know enough words to express myself. I want to start some type of course for spanish, but everything I try to start seems too easy.

I would say I'm at level 3 in pic.

Hoorray!

I have studied German for 1000 days on Duolingo

You can test out of levels in Duolingo, I'd at least try to test out of everything and see if you fail anything. Maybe some of the upper levels might still be of use to you.

Pimsleur is another option, just starting from the advanced level. You can steal that from a tracker and check it out.

But really, sounds like you just need to talk to your fellow Mexicans, read, and increase vocabulary. Time to find that Mexican gf. Or maybe interpals.

Nice. So how is your German? Are you fluent?

From Spain, well, technically he's not but whatever. He speaks/raps very clearly and kinda slowly so it should be easy to follow
youtube.com/watch?v=OsW02rXF3SM
youtube.com/watch?v=hJ-MfVj2qRc

And this one is from Puerto Rico
youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7mt30A6aY

Te pongo algo de metal dentro de un rato.

Sí, estaría bien para oirlas, además hay alguien de Holanda aprendiendo Turco, quizá también le interesen.

btw, by "technically not", I was having in mind a comment he made in a song and I wrongly worded it. He's Spanish, and he was born and raised in Spain too.
Sorry for the stupid comment.

>el agua
"El agua" isn't really an exception, as it is actually a feminine like the ending would suggest. It just happens to follow a rather obscure rule were feminine nouns staring with "a" use "el" as an article, while staying feminine. So, "I spilled it" when referring to water would be "La derramé" (feminine direct object).

I don't know if you knew this, but this might help other Spanish learners ITT.

I'm very surprised to see that there's support for this obscure language, considering there's letter combinations in Urdu that have still not been included in Unicode.

>It just happens to follow a rather obscure rule were feminine nouns staring with "a" use "el" as an article

he escuchado que es por ser palabras de orígen griego. puede ser que me equivoqué pero...