What are your favortie ballet movies, TV shows, TV episodes, and/or recorded ballets?

What are your favortie ballet movies, TV shows, TV episodes, and/or recorded ballets?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=po94GM4qvBg
youtube.com/watch?v=2BuWCQ868bY
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4EP3R8zcFQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

*favorite

I can spell

youtube.com/watch?v=po94GM4qvBg

There's a filmed version of The Nutcracker with Macaulay Culkin

dropped my Culkin

Bunheads is a pretty funny show, and Flesh & Bone is a so-bad-its-great miniseries in a Showgirls kinda way

As for recorded ballets, I really love The Royal Ballet's 1994 recording of Mayerling. Mukhamedov and Durante are amazing. Oh, and anything with Tamara Rojo is a must-see

Definitely one of the best episodes of the show. Wesley's face when he realizes Fred has the hots for Gunn never fails to break my heart

>Bunheads

Is that still on?

The Royal Ballet's Anastasia was streamed in theaters last month and is getting a digital/DVD release sometime next year. It was fantastic, although a lot more close-ups than normal Royal Ballet recordings.

youtube.com/watch?v=2BuWCQ868bY

it was cancelled after only 18 episodes, unfortunately

I will definitely keep a look out for the DVD, although a blu-ray would be better. Assuming it's released by Opus Arte there usually is one

I'm a huge Kenneth MacMillan fan, his contemporaries were retards who didn't understand his genius

Are there any other ballerinas with nice forearm hair like Misty Copeland?

last I heard, it's supposed to come out in August, so keep an eye out around then. I'm glad they're releasing it for home media, originally it was just supposed to be in theaters. I know there's a recording of the original one-act version on Youtube but the HD version of the full ballet was fantastic too.

ABT needs to record Ratmansky's The Sleeping Beauty professionally and soon. Preferably not with Gillian Murphy in the lead, but that's probably asking too much.

>I'm a huge Kenneth MacMillan fan, his contemporaries were retards who didn't understand his genius

I thought he was successful in his lifetime? or am I thinking of someone else

It's spelled Favourite. ;^)

Will do, thanks. I'll always looking for more additions to my ballet library. It's saddening how many great performances have been lost, never recorded so that future generations might enjoy them. Someone should start a ballet/opera app or something, I would subscribe in a heartbeat

Anyway, next week I'm going to the Sarasota Ballet perform George Ballanchine's Jewels. Should be fun

His predecessor Frederick Ashton was well-loved and the way MacMillan went in a completely different direction displeased a lot of people. Sure he had successes and was popular with dances, but critics and audiences saw him as this eccentric upstart who might ruin the image of the Royal Ballet.

He eschewed "showboating" and instead wanted to use dance to tell the story, with each turn and leap having purpose and driving the narrative. He also loved dark tales of tragedy as opposed more lighthearted fare like Ashton's La Fille Mal Gardee.

He has some balls on him that's for sure. No one else would stage a scene were the lead is shooting up heroin while his lover is desperately consoling him. The man was ahead of his time

>balletomanes
>on Sup Forums

>Someone should start a ballet/opera app or something, I would subscribe in a heartbeat

I know there's services like Digital Theatre and the Met Opera on Demand, although neither are specifically tailored to ballet.

>Anyway, next week I'm going to the Sarasota Ballet perform George Ballanchine's Jewels. Should be fun

Lucky! How often do you attend live performances?

I want him to recordings of Shostakovich's two other ballets, The Golden Age and The Limpid Stream. Bolt was fantastic

>Lucky! How often do you attend live performances?
Not too often, once or twice a year. Feels weird because I always go alone, none of my friends are interested in them. Still worth doing though

until then, there's phone recordings: youtube.com/watch?v=Q4EP3R8zcFQ

we're everywhere