youtube.com/watch?v=4LLZeBpKxTU
youtube.com/watch?v=A0DrqmpcTCY
youtube.com/watch?v=kE3SE_wfM4M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It went all avant garde and no one wants to listen to that shit

because culture isn't static
why is ragtime dead?

idk but I still fuck with pat metheny

hot damn son this is smooth shit. i fucked a thot to this music and she said it was the best music she's ever had sex to.
youtube.com/watch?v=4LLZeBpKxTU

>because culture isn't static
WELL IT SHOULD BE

Believe me every single day I wish for 1950s-1990s American culture and way of life to come back. It was so, so much better than the bullshit we have today. Sure we have the internet, but really what good has that brought us? It's destroyed us through information overload. Let's be real though, those days are dead, they're gone, not coming back, it's all over.

>uniroically being a lewronggeneration faggot
why don't you go find a safe place to cry about it faggot kys

Go listen to your rap music fag

It could still happen but a lot of people would have to die first and no one seems up for it yet

yeah, listen to any anthology that covers the transition from the 1950s jazz to 1970s jazz and you'll hear why it faded into obscurity

this

>year of birth: 1996

>alternative/indie

Because Bill Evens died.

/Thread

>YEAH MAN fuck high concepts in art, fuck progression of sounds and styles, fuck innovation and experimentation, gimme that good all 40s bebop that I can DANCE to all day bro! God jazz fans are so pretentious, where's my bowl??

People aren't looking for complexity in mainstream music.

a lack of music education

You are delusional if you think that jazz was popular in its own era because of music education

because saying that most avant garde jazz sounds like shit is the same as saying avant garde music in general is bad ...

Jazz isn't really my area of expertise, but from looking at modern jazz, it seems like jazz has gotten so complicated that not many people who don't play it aren't interested in it.

>bebop that I can DANCE to

No one dances to bebop you silly goose, and at the time it filled the precise niches you're associating with the avant-garde shit

youtube.com/watch?v=A0DrqmpcTCY
This video basically explains that
>Modern jazz musicians have lost their audience because they've lost the art of putting on a good show

You guys still like The Necks tho rite?

If you listen to a bill evans record, you would think it suit a hotel lobby or the elevator, but listen to his peers like Art Tatum and Bud Powell, you would realise those people have a totally different sound.

That's because every single modern jazz pianist just rips the shit off Bill Evans.

>alternative/indie
what the fuck is that supposed to mean

>1950s-1990s
the 1990s have very little in common with the 1950s minus a very brief big band swing revival

Jesus Christ, this is pasta. It is supposed to be exaggerated and inaccurate for a reason.

Are you deliberately doing this? Most likely you are and here's an explanation. People who I've replied to don't deserve anything more than a pasta. And why? Because of arguments like these: "no one listens to that avant-garde shit bro" or "it became soulless wank with muh complexity". Jaz is very much alive and it has more room for development given that it isn't a cultural force like it once was.

This, and 80s fusion didn't help at all

Creativity was largely replaced by a search for sounds that could be created rather than what should have been created. The original meaning of "free jazz" was lost in translation and what remained was largely pretentious and frustrating in its search for originality. While there were and still are jazz musicians that know how to make truly interesting experimental music, it's probably best that jazz's children and grandchildren have taken over and developed.

don't know where this graph is from, but it does reinforce my feeling everything has levelled off in the last 15 years... music IS dead.. & a temporary blip by some rock band or hip-hop single won't likely change that

>1950: music began
>alternative/indie beginning during the 60s
>hip hop beginning early 80s
>country only showing up late 50s
>dance/electronic having such low popularity
>pop having such low popularity
the list goes on, filled with reasons why this chart is bullshit

>I have no source for this huge claim, but this does it, I indeed WAS born in the wrong generation

I mean i like jazz but where else can it go musically?
Its basically just like an ultra niche like classical now. It survives through high school jazz band programs and weird elitists who have heard thousands of records, read every book, and know everything about it
Jazz really died as a mainstream thing in the 60's when rock took over and the hippie generation took over.
Although there were still jazz albums coming out only enthusiasts listened to them.
Probably the last big mainstream jazz album was bitches brew and that came out in 1970

we live a world were edgy idiots think rock is old and too hard.

do you really expect the retards of todays youth to appreciate jazz

>we live a world were edgy idiots think rock is old and too hard.
Obviously in the modern age where more music is being made than any period in history, there are going to be some people that take the easy route. I mean, Nickelback did it without digital production.

what are you talking about?
Im talking about those idiots that are all "hhhurrr durrr dad rock"

Jazz is older than rock and you have to have a fucking ensemble, a fucking orchestra, and you have to be skilled in your fucking instrument.

modern music is littrly the same trap instrumental over and over with a retard mumbling the word "gucci"

this grandpa is fun at parties

where is classical? it would make sense if the chart is based on how much music was made

its based on popularity starting from the 1950s

>Amerifat taste

>alterantive/indie
>folk

>alternative/indie
>dance/electronic
>hip-hop
>implying those aren't the same thing as pop

What a shit timeline thing.

what are you even talking about? I was telling that user what the chart is based on

im sorry user, that was a man

There's no classical because
1. It's a chart of popular music (genres), not art/traditional music
2. "Classical" classical music is consistent in popularity (a small one at that) because it's timeless. Contemporary classical (let's say since the 70s, 80s) is shit so it's just about right that nobody listens to that.

>dude weed lmao
Jazz musicians have been puffing the mighty mezz since the 1920s

But user weed didn't exist until the 50s

There's no classical because they chose not to put classical in the chart. Just as there isn't Punk or Salsa or Soul or a host of other musics.

The rest of your opinions are even more inept so they aren't worth addressing.

Punk and Disco and so on would fit in there, they just choose not to put it because it's a shit chart. Classical doesn't fit in there because it's quite literally not popular music, but art music, you fucking neanderthal.

Fight me.

I've noticed this attitude with black 80s musicians, it's annoying as hell. I never hear that attitude from older musicians just that generation of 80s/90s guys. No wonder jazz was terrible in the 80s

youtube.com/watch?v=kE3SE_wfM4M

Because none of the jazz clubs would give me a break and I missed my moment

what the fuck are y'all talking about

sure a lot of Jazz started pushing boundaries but if you think Anthony Braxton is more representative of 80's Jazz than Michael Brecker you're crazy

Americans are so stupid for giving up on jazz. I would kill to have even 1/10th of what they had 100 years ago here.

Fuck off, faggot. It's your shit music that needed a safe space in order to go unchallenged in the first place.

BTW, I'm so anti-racist, I pray for the black community to be freed from the mind-virus that is hip-hop.

Like with guitars and stuff

because of people like pic related and those who consider him an authority

jtg is a fag, but he's right in that review. You're just a butthurt weeb

>country started in 1955
>rap starts as a fusion of pop and metal
>electronic isn't even acknowledged, in spite of it largely being what jazz evolved into
>alternative/indie is a genre that's somehow separate from rock
>no blues
>vocal/easy listening is a genre

why does this picture exist

hey retard, people were nostalgia fagging about hating tvs and missing early 20th century aspects of life during those times to

>I pray for the black community to be freed from the mind-virus that is hip-hop

Easiest way to get black people to not do something is to get white people to do it.

>tfw no reading comprehension skills
That's not what any of the comments you were responding to claimed. Are you this dense in real life?

Man.. if only there was another - bigger - Music genre originating in the US around the 60s that curb stomped the financial possibilities to becoming a Jazz Musician. If only OPs image literally illustrates it perfectly and you retards were too stupid to see it. It's nothing to do with creativity, knowledge or music. It's money, like everything in America it's money. Jazz died when it become less popular than Rock music.

>it's another pure nostalgia shapes history episode
jazz was not even popular back then... People bought soundtracks, light music orchestral shit, vocal doowoop, military fanfares, comedy albums, exotica, etc.