"The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it’s a name of a woman...

>"The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it’s a name of a woman, and everyone was saying that Luke had exactly the same thing. I think Rey is incredibly vulnerable, and nothing she’s doing is for the greater good. She’s just doing what she thinks is the right thing. And she doesn’t want to do some of it, but she feels compelled to do it. So for me, I was just confused." - Daisy Ridley

Luke was exactly the same.

Other urls found in this thread:

eastcoastmovieguys.com/movie-news-and-rumors/2016/12/6/nciwctoq6bms47rv0j494km54yq2qc
youtube.com/watch?v=jz3oSYB5XB4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it’s a name of a woman

Yes, the character for which the trope was named was in fact a woman.

>i dont understand what a mary sue is, the character itself, or the source material

>Luke was exactly the same
>almost gets killed by thugs in mos eisley
>gets his ass saved numerous times
>the only time he weilds a lightsaber in ep 4 is during the fucking TRAINING
>doesnt know how to use the force properly even after meeting Yoda
>gets hand cut off by vader because cant into force and is just a little pussy
>doesnt play mind tricks all the way until episode 6
fucking doesnt look exactly the same to me

Luke wasn't a Mary Sue.

Anakin was though.

Gary Stu-pendous

>nothing she’s doing is for the greater good. She’s just doing what she thinks is the right thing
Why are actresses consistently fucking retarded

>listening to a woman's opinion
Might as well turn off your brain because nothing but inane bullshit comes out of a woman's mouth.

>WHY CHEKOV'S GUN AND NOT OHURA'S GUN!? REEEE

So she thinks Obi One was Luke? Obi used a mind trick and faced vader in a duel like Rey, Luke did not.

And appeared in a fanfic written by a woman, as a parody on unrealistic characters.

MALE PIGS REEEE

They're there to look pretty and act she's hideous and she can't act, fucking disney kikes

Luke was able to stop laser shot with his lightsaber after literally 1 minute that he was using it.

And while blindfolded.

Luke's motivation was to become a Jedi like his father and avenge him by defeating vader.

I have no idea what Rey wanted in any of this.

obi wan was controlling it using the force as a joke.

>petty revenge
>vs pure hearted "doing the right thing, even though she doesnt want to"

Such brave. So stronk. Such empowerment.

What is the right thing to do in Rey story?

She was captured just because she has seen the map and for all the movie she is escaping from the First Order. Not really a "Doing the right thing" character

No, Anakin was not A mary sue. Because of your brain dead Response, you've activated my 'trap card', HEIR OF TRUTH!

At no time did Anakin ever exhibit any semblance of a Mary Sue.
All Force Sensitive people has a bit of prescience, the ability to see danger and avoid it. ALL OF THEM. See the Younglings training in episode 2 with Yoda, wearing their blast shields using their PRESCIENCE, to avoid getting stung by lasers from the small ball droids.
Anakin was a slave his ENTIRE life and worked in a JUNK SHOP, collecting parts and selling parts for Watto, his wasp looking boss. He seemingly collected parts from ships, speeders and droids. Because he worked in a JUNK SHOP and took apart a great many droids, He was able to put together a barely functioning CLUNKY droid.
Anakin's boss had his slave engage in speed racing. Anakin, using his PRESCIENCE ability all force sensitive users has, was able to keep up with his fellow aliens. At NO time did his Prescience make him at all BETTER than his opponents only able to RACE on par with them. As you well know, racing Requires Skill,, attained by Constantly practicing. Up until the events of Phantom Menace, Anakin had NEVER finished a pod race, never once and had WRECKED every pod he was in. HIS skill had developed but what was his drive, to win a race for Watto? NO! Anakin had no drive. But then he met cool Jedis and wanted to win for them. Now he had a reason to win and fought harder than he probably would have done otherwise. We don't know this for a fact of course but, we do know he was thoroughly impressed by Jedis, and we know he was a proficient pod racer, albeit not the best. Using his prescience ability he won the race. The last space battle was the same, Anakin was taken to battle by remote, after being taken off of remote by R2, he AVOIDS danger liked he practiced in a SPEEDING pod, and survived. He happened onto a ship, and accidentally blows up a FUELING tank while firing on, on coming droids.

4 year old Younglings in Episode 2 did the same, you mong.

Jesus user, you okay?

ITS A NOUN YOU DONT NEED TO MAKE A NEW GENDERED VERSION

>The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it’s a name of a woman,
I never cringed so hard

I just hate it when people defends Rey by saying, Anakin or Luke was a mary sue. I genuinely hate those people. I shouldn't hate them but I do. Anakin especially was anything but a mary sue. His first fight with Dooku, AFTER training with the Jedi for ten years, he loses, BADLY! Rey would have won the race, Killed Darth Maul, Discovered who the Phantom Menace was and beat the living shit out of Sidious, Fired a blaster into the air, striking the fuel tank both ending the invasion, and squashing the separatist movement, ALL within the first movie.

>Anakin was though.

Not really.

>Wins the Podrace... after apparently being a failure ever time right up until that point.
>Destroys the Droid Control ship partially by accident, and the rest by aid of the Force and R2.
>Loses his first lightsaber duel, and an arm.
>Only beats Dooku due to tapping into the dark side, and then morally fails by executing him.
>Loses another lightsaber duel to the jobber of the prequels.

Poor guy had it rough.

The Prequels, though mostly shitty, was believable. In the first movie they revealed the Jedi suffered from arrogance and many stopped practicing. Two years of battle and Anakin only managed to fight on par with Dooku, not best him. To best him he had to tap into the darkside.

Rey would have ripped off Dooku's arm and shoved it up his arse during the events of the Clone Wars.

yeah that little boy with magic powers beating adults in a race was great.

also sith jar jar defeating the droid army by accident.

Kek

She's not too bright

>Luke was exactly the same.

why do people constantly fail to understand what a mary sue or gary stu is

Good post

The only way I can see them getting a pass with Rey is if they pull a Revan moment, but that doesn't really make sense with her being dropped off as a kid.

To be fair, the figures of the PT (that aren't red shirts with glow sticks) are all pretty much legendary figures. The scales were much more even between the more important figures.

Kylo is pretty much the most skilled lightsaber wielder we have seen since ROTS, outside maybe Vader, and he never displayed it. Luke isn't bad in ROTJ, not at all, but much of the artistry behind his saberwork is missing. With Kylo you can see from his flourishes, and the way he dodged Finn before he hits the dirt, that Luke has rediscovered some manuals/holocrons.

He just never intended to really hurt Rey. There is something about here we haven't had revealed that made him chase her through the snow of an imploding planet while bleeding out, just to try and convince her to be his waifu... er, student.

>Luke is a Mary Sue
>Gets tricked by droids and loses them
>Gets knocked out by Tusken raiders, saved by Obi-Wan.
>Nearly gets killed in a bar, again saved by Obi-Wan.
>Gets put in his place by Han when he tries to back seat drive.
>Receives a bit of actaul training and insight into the force during the trip.
>Gets mocked by Leia when he tries to save her. Plan is a complete cluster fuck.
>Doesn't fight Vader to a draw after Obi-Wan is killed.
>Wedge saves Luke during attack on Death Star, Biggs dies protecting Luke, Han returns to clear the way.
Totally the same as Rey amirite.

She's fucking retarded
A MARY SUE MEANS SOMEONE WHO'S NATURALLY THE BEST AT EVERYTHING, NO TRAINING OR LEARNING GET IT? NO FUCKING TRAINING JESUS CHRIST. LUKE TRAINED, ANAKIN TRAINED! THIS PIECE OF SHIT DIDN'T TRAIN FOR A SINGLE SECOND AND BEAT REN JUST LIKE THAT
>B-BUT THEN BATMAN IS A MARY SUE TOO YOU SEXIST WHITE MALE!
SEE ABOVE YOU FUCKING OBESE LANDWHALE

Yep

Rey is a perfect character that has no flaws and that everyone loves

You're a fucking moron. How many ace kid video game players have you met, Ive met hundreds over the years. A child having ability that surpasses an adult is nothing new, you mong. All it takes is PRACTICE. Anakin was a slave FORCED to do a service. Stop being a jackass because what he did was no more special than what those 4 year old kids did using the Prescience ALL force sensitive people has. Having Prescience don't mean shit, IF YOU DON'T PRACTICE! And his ability only ever made him able to race with them, NOT BETTER THAN THEM. If it were Rey though, she would have won every race and be the king fucking hut by the time the events of the first movie reached her.

They should have had her a bungler who could barely hold a stick and then make her a bad ass in the third movie.

>Luke was exactly the same
>Literally useless for 2 films, except one part where the force guided his protorp gun

Vader didn't intend to hurt Luke either, he wasn't defeated by Luke of Course and at no time in Empire did Luke control the fight. Vader was always in control. Kylo Ren beats REY to the edge of a cliff, says I can teach you the force and Rey has this look on her face that says, "Oh Yeah, that thing I didn't know anything about until just a few hours ago."
The hatred I have for the Force Awakens is one that is so potent I doubt I can ever have the same hatred for anything. Three decades of my life waiting. The Prequels was shitty but I didn't care because they were prequels. But this was the sequel to the biggest franchise in film history.

does shitposting pay by the word now?

So how did Luke and Obi Wan age so fucking fast? There were barely 15 or 20 years at the most between ROTS and ANH and Obi Wan looked like he was in his late 60's, and Luke wasn't even 30 after ROTJ and now he looks old as fuck

You're not wrong, but a Mary Sue is more than that. It's an author self-insert, it's a wish-fulfillment thing, it's all sorts.

A Mary Sue is called such because it's actually in reference to a character called Mary Sue. This goes back decades, has something to do with Star Trek fan fiction. Mary Sue the character is either a satirical jab at shitty fan writing or actually *is* shitty fan writing, can't remember which.

>this term has a female name
>MUH SOGGY KNEES

everytime

Do you idiots breathe freely or do you suck air out of the ass of the Political Correct crowd?

Rey's a shit character and the force awakens was an sjw shit fest meant to fuck over the wasp, in their own words too. They literally called the force awakens A changing of the guard. Girls can be cool and awesome too. And for too long boys were the heroes now it's time for women to be the heroes. Star wars died the moment George sold it to the slavers of the white race.

There's a quote saying the female story writers made Rey the way she is due to how they felt they were.

So, you have a wish fulfillment fantasy there too.

Man i wish I had some sort of major media platform on which to disseminate reasonable responses to retarded shit like this.

You can say whatever you want about Anakin, but him being a Mary Sue? Get the fuck out of here.

>"I mean it's a woman so I'm unable to understand why anyone would have issue with this character like I don't know what it could possibly be I mean she is a woman after all and it's 2017-1 so I don't know really hm"

Well it's a little bit more than that even. Mary Sue's aren't necessarily people who are incredibly powerful and they aren't necessarily characters who are wish fulfillment. The key characteristic of a Mary Sue is that they aren't sufficiently challenged by the events of their story. Take Aragorn from LOTR for example. Incredibly wise, powerful and charismatic guy who was stretched to the limits of his skills and endurance in his quest. He was incredibly challenged during the events of the story and couldn't do everything on his own.

Rey is a Mary Sue because she isn't challenged by anything in the film. She easily shrugs off two guys ganging up on her, she easily makes use of the Force despite no training in it that we know of, she's a crack shot with a blaster, literally everyone she meets instantly comes to like her, she resists interrogation by her captor and turns his own mind reading abilities back on him and she holds her own and defeats an adept in lightsaber combat despite no training that we know of.

this baby had to practice to learn to walk first before destroying the universe he wasnt a mary stue.

Very angry formatting aside this post is correct.
Lucas actually seemed to care about the growth of his characters. His writing is inherently better because it's not for the sake of any politically correct agenda.

>Taking anything as fact that Daisy says

Reminder

>When asked if she was eager to get the secret of Rey’s backstory off her chest, Daisy Ridley revealed that she believed The Force Awakens already provided plenty of answers:

>“I thought a lot was answered in The Force Awakens. Then after the screening I went for a drink with my agent and everyone, and we were chatting away and I realized that oh, in their minds it’s not answered at all!”

eastcoastmovieguys.com/movie-news-and-rumors/2016/12/6/nciwctoq6bms47rv0j494km54yq2qc

Yes, yes, we get it: everything is sexist.

Luke was a clumsy failure right up until he destroyed the Death Star.

Is she actually dumb?

And so?

If we count the Prequels being a jedi seems the be the fucking easiest thing in the universe, they are nothing more than a police force for the Republic.

So for Luke use the force was damn easy
For this 4 old Younglings use the force was damn easy
Also for Rey use the force was damn easy

Dude, that's like the most basic use of the force. Rey almost won a lightsaber fight against the best fighter since Darth Vader, pulling mindtricks, fixing and flying the Millennium Falcon like a pro and many other things that I'm missing, all without A SINGLE FUCKING MINUTE of training and all within HER FIRST FUCKING MOVIE. I fully expect her to be able to crush 2 star destroyers by episode IX.

Mary Sues are usually those that have too much fun unexplained importance about them. For example if we had a Star Wars fanfic a mary sue could be some crying captured peasant, but she, unlike the thousand other peasants, allofasudda emotionally moves Sheev and he falls in love with her and goes out of his way to do a lot for her. A mary sue can not be skilled at things but still be perfect regardless. Its more about the writing being masturbatory.

OI MATE WHAT YOU FOCKING SAY ABOUT ME?!

Lucas was such a proficient story teller that after he got older and richer he only cared for the finished product and never the journey that got one there, which is why his story suffered. Few remembers that LUCAS aided Coppola with Apocalypse Now. Lucas was a slow build type of guy. I love the slow build. Magnificent 7 was a slow build movie. It gradually built itself up, both meticulously and purposefully. And that's what the phantom menace was. A slow build. Clone Wars was the same. It was a slow build, albeit a poorly done slow build.

>Rey
>flies a ship she's never been on before
>outmaneuvers 2 trained TIE Fighters through a crashed ship
>pulls off an insanely complicated trick of shutting off the ship midflight so the locked gun can shoot down a TIE Fighter
>shoots several Stormtroopers firing at her after only missing 2-3 shots and admitting she had never fired a blaster in her life
>her very first time using the force was a mind trick, considered a high level Force move
>escaped captivity by herself
>essentially defeats her antagonist, a Force user who's been training since childhood, in battle in the first movie
>receives a hug from Leia, a woman she met a couple of days ago at most, for all the hardship she went through
>inherits the legacies of 2 of the original 3 characters (Han's ship and Luke's lightsaber)
>not a Mary Sue
alright

Only force sensitive people are able to use the Force and they hardly use it easily. Some abilities like prescience, use by Luke and younglings for their training exercises are easy to use. They're entry level abilities. It's the harder abilities like mind reading which took Luke 3 films to master but Rey only 1 without any training in the Force whatsoever which are more difficult to learn.

Reminder: first role she ever did was play a dead nude chick

BRAVO DAISY

Why shouldnt a woman be capable of doing those things?

Made me think

The best fighter since Darth Vader.
> he is not the only one
> he is not wounded as fuck
> he is not even fully graduate

The mindtrick yeah, that one was too much but we don't how it works with mindgames between forces users

Fixing Millenium Falcon meh, I really don't care about fixing abilities, Millenium Falcon was pretty old during TFA so probably really basic for her

Actually cool thing for me is that in the second movie we will see Kylo Ren becomes really powerful so you have to look at how Kylo get better to overpower and put in her place Rey.
But this is my opinion of course.

Chekhov's Gun is named for the playwright, not the Star Trek character, you fucking pleb.

Being a Jedi isn't at all simple and easy because dozen of Jedis died just staving off droid lasers in episode 2, then even more died defending the temple in episode 3. It's not at all, an easy JOB!

Luke only ever used the PRESCIENCE side of the force in the first movie. HE used PRESCIENCE, nothing else. He wasn't even a good saber fighter until the third film. Prescience aides your TIMING! Even the Younglings had this ability in the second film.
Prescience isn't a great ability and even then you have to Practice and Practice and Practice. Constructing a Green saber is harder than constructing a blue one because you have to be more Intuned with the force and that happens only after you've gained a kind of proficiency. It's like writing a program. At first you're just repeating complex code but after a while your brain begins to see a pattern of logic and that stays with you. But, that only comes after you've PRACTICED repeatedly for a very long time.
Rey started programming this morning and by this evening she's writing her own libraries. She's that retarded of a character.

>dat fundamental misunderstanding of what a Mary Sue is

Nice work

>I think Rey is incredibly vulnerable
Fucking how? She needs to escape an attack by the empire (I'm sorry, "first order"), she flies away in a spaceship she's never flown before. She needs to escape captivity she just mind controls some stormtrooper, she confronts the big bad guy of the movie in a lightsaber fight and defeats him. When at any point was she vulnerable?

Are you throwing at me facts of the EU?
Cause I really don't care.
We can talk about scenes in the movies, not others retarded things.

For the twitterfags here.

Daisy is obviously dumb

Read

What's a bet rey gets toned down a little in the subsequent movies because of all this mary sue criticism, not that disney will ever admit it obviously.

>The Force Awakens is about a hooded villain chasing an interracial couple with a burning cross
Makes you think

>lts everyone getting mad at something without source episode

stop being retarded

Yay western civilisation is dying thanks to retarded women and entitled non-whites

Thanks Hollywood for your role in this, I hope you're able to still make films in Israel after the world is plunged into endless war without the calming influence of the great white west

see

What are you talking about? the Eu? Ive never read the EU and I'm only talking about the movies. Lucas himself said the green saber represents Luke becoming a more Proficient force user, that's common knowledge. Vader even says it in the Return of the Jedi. The Younglings used Prescience in that scene when Obi Wan lost a planet and wanted to find it and Yoda asked the younglings to help. Do you remember the scene I'm referring to? Luke used Prescience twice, when He was training with Obi wan and when he fired the torpedo. Rey's powerful for no reason.

>The Mary Sue thing in itself is sexist because it’s a name of a woman

Mary Sue has nothing to do with sexism. Even if it was, it wouldn't be "because it's a name of a woman" (what is this even supposed to mean?). Maybe she should look up what a Mary Sue actually is and its origin before making a retarded comment like this.

Why the fuck do you "people" care? Everything went downhill after the third prequel (Best S.W released in modern times), Episode VI was shit and forced to be the same as Episode V but worse.

Btw Luke's training with Obi is a really strong word. More like "2 hours talking with this man met the day before"

I wish to be the Disney CEO that gets to fuck Daisy at any time of my leisure. I want to cum on those pearly whites! >:D

Mary Sue can be a man if ze wants, shitlord

Didn't Sasuke atleast do some training?

>Slenderman

What the fuck, Bella is far from perfect. She needs constant saving.

I get salty over the "Rey is a Mary Sue" argument because the generally accepted definition of a Mary Sue is "an idealized and seemingly perfect fictional character, a young or low-rank person who saves the day through unrealistic abilities." Everything Rey knows how to do is because of the unique conditions she was raised in. A trading post with unlimited access to old technologies and flight simulators and world encyclopedias. None of her skills are "unrealistic"

And Anakins goal ironically was to make the Galaxy a better place to live... it turns out all he need to do was slice up some dumb British kids.

which would be even dumber than having her so OP in the first place. Making her a god like one then a mouse in subsequent films would be so dumb.

Simply say she has the spirit of a sith inside of her locked away or something and solve the problem as to why she's so OP.

There's a difference between being gifted and being a Mary Sue.

Luke was a complete scrub that gets his ass beat throughout the movie and has to be rescued. The tusken raider, the thugs in the bar, even Vader would have got him at the end if it wasn't for Han. He only scores the final shot because of Obi Wans ghost advice. He doesn't just spontaneously master the force.

What happens from then is we see him grow and learn over 2 more movies.

The way the practice scene is shot on the Falcon makes it seem like he was working on it for some time. He's about to give up until Obi Wan tells him to "stretch out with his feelings."

Anakin isn't a Mary Sue because because he lets his talent go to his head and goes evil as a result

The first thing I said to anyone after watching SW7 was "She was a mary sue"

Bullshit. You know nothing about how she was raised. You met a junk collector, that's it.
Anakin's mother said of how he could race with the aliens but had never won a race. Qui gon said that his prescience is because of his Force sensitivity. CHARACTERS bolstered the Protagonist. And even then Anakin's mother realistically said of how he had NEVER won a race. We meet Rey and that's it. NO one said that she was a gladiator forced to fight aliens from all over the planet for the title of bad ass or how she raced in every ship on the planet. None of that. We meet her and suddenly she can into everything, just because.

Even mindtricks? I don't see how reading about mindtricks allows you to suddenly do them.

More like you're full of shit trying to justify this mary sue bitch.

Luke was not exactly the same. To say otherwise means you didn't watch the movies and makes any "opinion" you have invalid

Glad people are seeing this as the Ghostbusters tier remake it actually was. Now follow through and boycott Rogue One, because it will be even worse.

>Muh Sexism

Nice to know she's retarded.