Instrumentals are skeletal and repetitive

>Instrumentals are skeletal and repetitive
>Low-quality vocals
>Lyrics make sense to literally no one

Why did this became a meme?

If you don't understand why this is great then you should get off this board.

xD

pleb

>lyrics make no sense

Imagine being this retarded

BTFO

>Why did this became a meme?
>druner keegan effect

the production saves this album
best thing about it by a mile

>>Lyrics make sense to literally no one
You fell for the blue curtains meme didn't you

because this album is above retards such as yourself. stay pleb

>it's so weird and different
>thus 2deep4u and that means I am superior to you

90% of Sup Forums

None of you idiots could even offer a simple rebuttal as to why the OP was wrong, besides ignorantly stating that he's a retarded pleb. No wonder this board has gone to shit.

music is subjective. jeff mangum doesn't need to be technically proficient at shredding his guitar or write some deep poetic ballad to attract listeners. the album has some cool sounds and I like it !

If you really think that lyrics need to "make sense" you are a fucking peabrain.

I can try to argue the case I guess.
I think the appeal comes from the simplicity of the album. I always like to think of the music as though it's taking up space, and this is a really "breathable" album if that makes any sense. The songs are really easy to follow instrument wise, and the lyrics are something which, I at least, don't give much thought to.

I guess in layman's terms me brain likey good noise. Album is good noise, so I enjoy it.

None of those are correct though

The outro of Ghost into the beginning of [Untitled] is hype. Saw them live in Asheville, and the venue was shaking from everyone jumping at the same time. [Untitled] is a god damn victory lap.

maybe its because we've discussed this album to hell and back again or maybe its because OP doesn't have arguments as much as he has opinions. but shit, ill take on OP

>instruments are skeletal and repetitive
skeletal instrumentals isn't a thing, the guitar on this album is melodic, hypnotic and tense. at the end of the day this is still a folk album and if you know anything about the genre then you should know its not about the lush arrangements.

>low quality vocals
in what way? mangum has a powerful voice and the vocal melodies are iconic and memorable and it compliments the music nicely

>lyrics make sense to literally no one
they're poetic and open to your own interpretation. that is a good thing

the album is cohesive and flows flawlessly. this album was a breath of fresh air for folk and it still sounds as fresh today as it did back in 98.

>None of you idiots could even offer a simple rebuttal as to why the OP was wrong
I'll try

No argument as to why this would be a bad thing
>Low-quality vocals
Empty statement. Essentially "I don't like it"
Completely ridiculous. No one who has done a few minutes of reading on the album could argue this
And finally, no attempt to make the three statements cohere and come up with an actual dismissal of the album. It's just loose observations

If you're wondering why people avoid responding to shitty criticism like this, it's not because they're not able to, it's not because we're too dumb to discuss music, it's because sometimes criticism is stupid and insubstantial, and thus not worth responding to. There you go, hope I helped

it's not weird or different at all lmao listen to more music newguy

Okay, it's adequate enough.

I just listened to this album for the first time and I was really enjoying it, but halfway through I kinda noticed that the album is very samey and a lot of it is kinda filler?
His strengths are his voice, his energy and how raw he can be and how nicely he strums his guitar in a way that the melody really grips us but after a while it gets sort of repetitive?
I got an aeroplane over the sea and two headed boy stuck in my mind though, the addition of other instruments like the trumpet is really interesting and this album has an interesting feeling of confusion and sheer heartfelt guitar play and singing from Mangum.

I feel like if it had a less overblown guitar in the background and if the tracks were more unpredictable (not in the LETS GO CRAZY way but in a more subtle, calm way) it would be better.

It can't be anything else

i actually prefer the second half. oh comely (my favorite song) to two headed boy part 2 is fantastic

>>>>>>>>>>reddit

>druner keegan
Subtle!

This.

I've tried recommending this album to a bunch of my friends and family to mixed results. It's truly a hit-or-miss affair. Liking it does not make you part of a privileged class (despite how many might act), just as not liking it does not give you some kind of edgy insight. Tastes are subjective, after all.
I suspect that it is the aforementioned divisiveness that has led to its becoming a meme as you say. Here's how it works: I read a lot of books (I'm an English teacher). Three of the most rewarding books I've ever read are Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, and Infinite Jest. I unironically appreciate these works, and I wholeheartedly recommend them to my students. Now, if you were to head over to /lit/ and claim these three novels as your favorites, the folks over there would go ripshit because you name-dropped the "meme trilogy" (i.e. books that are notoriously difficult to read, and which people often claim to enjoy because they want to sound super smart). There is debate as to whether these three books can even be appropriately understood. People get worked up over the arguments, and the books, like this album (which I think can similarly be difficult to appreciate), have become memes because the narrative that surrounds them has become almost as vibrant as the texts themselves.
I won't presume to make you like this album, but I would definitely encourage you to try to approach it in a more inquisitive manner. It's okay to dismiss it, but try to see what it is that others appreciate. Who knows? You might learn a little something about yourself in the process.

>dunner keegan effect
I believe you're thinking of the dawning cougar effect, user

Come on. Enough with the jokes. Everyone knows it's Dumpling-Keebler.

TWO HEADED BOI

if you ever describe music as "weird" you should fucking die

Why do we need to have these fucking threads every day

Nobody even talks about this album on here anymore, it only ever gets brought up in these threads or maybe album cover threads

>I'm an English teacher
Are you by any chance the same guy who replied to me here?

>three days until fucking 2018
>there are people that still don’t get ITAOTS
jesus christ it’s like 2011 all over again

wtf user? You're breaking Sup Forums with your maturity.

>instrumentals are incredibly varied and layered
>vocals fit music perfectly
>lyrics are written with great and highly emotional symbolism
Now fuck off

>tripfag
opinion discarded

>0 arguments

>instrumentals are a disgusting cacophony
>the lyrics are more cryptic than TMV word soup
you're right about the vocals though, shit vocals fit shit music

>disgusting cacophony
How?
>cryptic
>he’s literally this much of a brainlet to not get allegories

>tripfag having bad opinions
just another day on Sup Forums

>didn’t prove me wrong

>it’s like 2011
is that such a bad thing?

Just how exactly did you prove him wrong, though?

He made his argument in the OP and failed to provide proof or a strong argument.

And you're implying that you did?

Burden of proof is on the person who made the claim I.e. him.

So here's your claim:
Now give us some proof

I’m jerking off gimme a minute

First point:
The horns on The Fool.
The electronics inUntitled.
The electric guitar mixed with brass on Holland 1945.
The acoustic on Two headed boy.
I could go on and on about the melding of tens I’d different sounds on this album that merge to make this album what it is.

The second point:
Jeff Mangum always sings in the key he needs to be in to fit the instrumentals yet in the right tone to fit the emotion of the song.

The third point:
A line from Two Headed Boy part 1.
“We will take off our clothes
And they'll be placing fingers through the notches in your spine”
Jeff is singing about Anne Frank and her love interest(s), yet there is also allusion to the connection he felt when reading her diary. Clothes are the covering of a book, and the spine is where the pages are held in the back.

bump

It's really not that different or weird you retarded plebs

Because the Jews always meme thing which remind you about muh 6 million

I prefer the 2nd half a lot. Oh Comely, Ghost and Two Headed Boy Pt.2 make up my top 3.

>>Lyrics make sense to literally no one
If you want people to take you seriously, be less obvious about how much of a retard you are.

On Avery Island [Merge, 1996] :(

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea [Merge, 1998] :(

blown the fuck out

"A 'Neither' rating (the sad face) indicates an album that may impress the listener at first with consistent craft or an arresting track or two. And then it won't."

not op.i only listened to the main single Aeroplane, why should I listen to the rest of it? why do you think it is great
?

As much as I dislike this album, that faggot Christgau has also given Backstreet Boys AND Soulja Boy an A. His opinion is irrelevant.

thanks, but I already know that he's a retard.

>Lyrics make no sense
Have you ever read a single poem in your entire life?

No more repetitive than other pop music and far from skeletal. Pic related.
>Low-quality vocals
Mangum's voice is extremely powerful and melismatic, he can hold notes for an extremely long time. I guarantee you can't sing along to this album all the way through unless you're a professional singer. Also the vocal melodies are great.
They're abstract but you can definitely make some sense of them if you aren't a brainlet.

i wish this board was filled with more people like you

I had a strange experience with ITAOTS. I loved it the first time I listened to it, listened to it two or three more times, and then my interest just vanished off the map. The only song I ever come back to is the title song.

kys brainlet

kys brainlet

kys brainlet

Did you start listening to Daft Punk and Kanye West around the same time? Did you experience any major head injuries or neurological disease?

I find Daft Punk boring and I think Kanye sucks.
>Did you experience any major head injuries or neurological disease?
No, my only head injury was a concussion I got from getting blasted by a horse when I was 12.

You're disgusting
Please go listen to metallica or something

But user I am better than you

>He hasn't been musically illuminated
Sad