name a better sci-fi movie, post 00's better than interstellar

Gravity
Arrival
Oblivion
Edge of Tomorrow

Alright...

I can't.

The Martian

Loved the aesthetics and the realistic nature of the science, but Matt Damon's character ( specifically the upbeat attitude and lack of any real arc or struggle) just ruined it for me.

I think interstellar does deserve special recognition for what it's trying to accomplish, creating an epic space drama that tries to convey serious scientific facts and modern theories in a digestible way while having an emotional core. I mean I liked, for example, Coherence as a low budget sci-if concept film but it's not really comparable to interstellar just based on scale and the concept. I think that's what you'll find when trying to measure other modern sci-fi to Interstellar, it not a perfect movie by any means but it's something we very rarely get to see in sci-if these days by way of having a colossal budget, accuracy and a director who really does want to tell a story

>that tries to convey serious scientific facts

Coherence
Edge of Tomorrow
Another Earth

Ex machina
Arrival
Moon

its an ok drama but not a great scifi

coherence is more interesting for example but it has no spessship

KANEDA

>oh yeah, I loved the third act!

meme

I agree 100%. Interestellar works really well as a mysterious sci-fi, an emotional character drama, a "will of man to overcome possible extinction" story. Plot and characters were really tight, the moments of tension and suspense were realized well. Movie set huge goals and accomplished them.

I espeically like interstellar in that it is one movie where they had a really great buildup and then instead of running out of steam in the third act they actually found a really interesting way to tie it up. For whatever reason that is rare af.

Probably Edge of Tomorrow was the best one post 00

Then Sunshine, then District 9

Interstellar characters were annoying, you know, that asshole cool space cowboy, weeping bitches, and cheap jokes here and there, and "love is powerful" bullshit and all that...

Who are you quoting?

>asshole cool space cowboy

wat

The love shit was shit though.

2001 - a space odyssey

come on, you know.

Men in Black II
Terminator 3
Matrix pt 2 and 3
Children of Men

Am i the only one who thought Matt Damon's bit on the ice planet was the best bit? When he tries to kill him and Coop halls him a fucking coward, so awesome.

Not really, if you mean Cooper who got his life ripped to pieces in the first half.

love bit was best part of the movie

Nolan pls

Moon

If any replies in this thread are right, it's these.

The third act is a pleb filter.

Why did they have to ruin it like that? Just reveal Pinbacker was a hallucination and they were going crazy because of the Sun's influence.

Moon
Sunshine except the third act :(

>specifically the upbeat attitude and lack of any real arc or struggle

seriously, there's no way someone in that situation would not develop some kind of mental illness out of terror/ extreme isolation/etc.

trips confirm

I really liked it. Idk why the whole "dad sacrificing his children for the sake of humanity struggle" hit me so hard because I don't have kids but fucking hell I nearly cried when he returned from wave planet and watched that message

Her
Ex-Machina
Moon
District 9

That scene in Europa Report where he floats away deserved to be in a better movie

Aggreed.

seriously though, what did he see?

>It is December of 2016 and there are plebs on Sup Forums that are still trying to deny this final level kino

disgusting 2bh

Minority report
A.I

legend of the galactic heroes

Minority Report

Minority Deport

Bump for potential gems.

the one with matt damon

Passengers

Interstellar was stupid and a bit boring desu

Moon

More boring and stupid than the Martian though? Cause that might be the most overrated movie of it's year

LotGH is barely even sci-fi.

It's essentially a dramatization of a political science textbook periodically interspersed with Napoleonic naval battles.

Under the Skin

>it's a use scientific buzzwords to charm the audience

Words to look out for include:
Thermodynamics
Oscillation
Diffusion
Any field of math (like linear algebra)
hyper-________
A numerical suffix infront of a word (Hexadecimals)

Being a semester away from a Masters in mechanical engineering these shoehorned scenes make me cringe everytime

Yeah but less than 1% of movie goers (and likely you) aren't pursuing such a degree. Stop being a hater. It was a fine movie and much better than the Martian.

Why would I lie on the internet

Anything Gravity, Children of Men

EOT is shit

Moon

Phantom Menace

Dunno but I doubt someone pursuing a degree like that could be bothered to post on this board. So why would you lie?