Do canadians think of themselves as american?

Do canadians think of themselves as american?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_wealth_per_adult
youtube.com/watch?v=P-u3o2hvdUg
youtube.com/watch?v=gFgPX0hnNfA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

yes

Personally i consider myself greek but can't speak for the rest of my "countrymen"

America is a continent. Don't tell that to rednecks or they'll shoot you.

America is a country. The Americas are the continents.

everyone should be potential greek

I too am Greek

I don't, my friends, family and coworkers don't, as far as I know.

I know some greek-canadians, nice people and good food.

Canadians are fiercely nationalist but they display it a condescending manner. The military and foreign policy apparatus (apparati?) actually make independence from the US a fixture of their approach on the international stage. If any Canadians are reading this: Take off, you hosers!

No wonder considering the people you pick as your leaders

I live in a post-national country, so I consider myself a citizen of the world

yeah, it's like michigan and the dakotas extended upwards.

Better than Truedeau

Canadians are subhumans

That's falsedeau

Aren't you clever. But the underlying reason is our economy, culture and military just completely dominates Canada. They want to maintain a sense of identity that is separate from the US.

No, we don't. But, we do have a lot of similarities and are more alike than we are different, at least on the surface. There's really no other global equivalent. We forged a continent (and a good one) alongside one another and share the longest border in earth. Have the world's largest trade reciprocity. We came over on many of the same ships and while creating 2 of the most successful nations on earth we fought together in fields, forests, trenches, oceans, mountains, jungles, beaches, and deserts. I'm not a big fan of role playing as countries but saying that America and Canada are brothers and best friends really does sum it up pretty well.

Economy yes, military is mostly irrelevant post cold war, culture not at all. The basic reason is that all of Canada's history is tied to being "not American." That's basically why Canada exists at all. A group of European settlers to North America that did not want to be part of America.

I meant those three factors are more important on a global stage, not that we dictate your economy, military or culture. Look, Canadians are by far the nicest people I've ever met. But let's be honest - and despite our leadership right now - who do you think is the bigger player on the global stage?

>culture
>not at all

Why would Canadians care? They already are wealthier per capita than you are, enjoy socialized healthcare and other such hallmarks of a civilized country. They're peaceful people so why would they care about not spending the GDP of a medium sized European country on killing brown people? Just face it, you got very little to offer Canadians that they care about and don't already have.

Obviously America, and Canada is entirely reliant on the USA economically, a case could be made that Canada benefits from the US military shield, but honestly in today's world I don't really think that's true. Canada is kept safe by alliances and economic cooperation. Even if America ceased to exist tomorrow I wouldn't fear a Chinese or Russian invasion. Our size, location, potential, wealth, and alliances would keep us very safe nowadays. As for culture, I think Canada's cultural contributions are huge, they just get absorbed into the greater North American culture and people assume they are American.

I am Greek

>Our size, location, potential, wealth, and alliances would keep us very safe nowadays.
m8 please stop living in reddit-land. Literally none of our allies would send a naval strike group to defend us against a Russian or Chinese invasion. Geopolitical alliances are transactional, not emotional.

No.

Although we are very similar, what does "American" even mean? A belief in the Constitution and the soveriegn rights of the American citizen and state? Lots of people who aren't American citizens believe in these things. In the end, American culture varies from state to state as wildly as between. many European countries. While Canada outside of Toronto and Vancouver is very similar to areas like Montana, Colorado or Maine, it bears little resemblance to places like Florida or California.

Since the culture of America varies so much, the one unifying ideal of "American" culture is a belief in individualism and the right to own land, and defend it. Such a vague definition can be held to anybody, so in the end "American" is more of a political label than a cultural one. I could be "American" by believing in these things, but by being a citizen of Canada, o can take pride in what I contribute to my province and country socially and economically. Therefore, I am Canadian, because I live and do my business in Canada. I'm not some twenty-generational Canadian, but I consider myself one anyway because of my pride in my society. If America somehow decides to incorporate Canada, I will be American, since I contribute to America. But in the end, I see myself as an individual that tries their best to live their life and achieve their goals wherever they are.

...apart from being their largest trading partner you mean? most people don't recognize this but the primary external energy partner for US is not Saudi Arabia - it is Canada. Without us they'd have a much lower consumer base. I don't know the relative PPP, and your reference to killing brown people seems misplaced - ask a Canadian about their experience with indigenous communities, Sven.

A lot of things you think are parts of American culture are probably Canadian. It just all gets blended together. For example sports; handegg, basketball, baseball, modern lacrosse, and modern ice hockey, all trace their origins to Canada or Canadians. Trick or treating, peanutbutter, the moon landings, highest grossing films of all time, etc., all strongly tied to Canada.

I very much doubt the UK wouldn't.

um no sweaty, north america = continent, south america = continent, north + south america = america/the americas

This is how the entire world see North America

>...apart from being their largest trading partner you mean?
By that logic we should strive to become Germans. Do you think that is reasonable?

It's in your best interest to trade with Canada so it doesn't actually matter to Canadians since they get that benefit no matter what.

The way they treated indigenous people is shameful for sure, but comes nowhere near the amount of innocent people you have killed or displaced.

I am not what I say I am and I say I am Greek.

>Deep South
>Not watermelon coloured

>moon landings?
explain

Point taken but residential schools were much friendlier than outright war with the US Army.

I have no doubt that at least the UK and extant Commonwealth Dominions would and probably all of western Europe. The Chinese and Russians aren't especially well liked, Canada meanwhile is always in the top 3 (very often 1st) for most liked country on earth among OECD nations. Fact is, even if they could get away with it I don't see them taking the risk.

It's called 'right of conquest', Sven. Our country was built on it.

>bunch of mad americans and canadians fighting each other
interesting

When Deifenbaker dissolved the Avro program he "loaned" a group of Canadian and British aerospace engineers to NASA where they formed the core of what is now called the Johnson Space Centre (then located in VA). They were tasked with manned space flight. Chief flight engineer, and Canadian, Owen Maynard designed the lunar lander which you'll recognise as the thing that makes a lunar landing possible

じゃあネトウヨでも召喚するか?

Canadians see themselves as Canadians, but our nationalism shows itself more at the provincial or regional level. Quebec is the most obvious example of this but it happens in every province to varying degrees.

I'm not sure getting the white house burnt to the ground counts as conquest tbqh lad

Well, It was old times. You shouldn't cry for the past, but you need to evade repeating the same errors that were did all over again.

didn't know that. But if you're that interested you should visit the Smithsonian museums in DC and Virginia. Lots of cool hardware there.

In all honesty, our education system is very US-centrist. Literally as if we created the world by ourselves. It takes initiative for a lot of my compatriots to understand that, hey, other countries have perspectives as well.

This is accurate. While almost everyone is proud to be part of a Canadian collective I think most of us identify primarily with our region or province.

The national mall and especially the Smithsonian are at the top of my bucket list

oh they burned more than that, Sven. I could give you a tour of DC and point out what they burned. But they lost that war, and the one before. shortly afterward, we enabled your countrymen to immigrate to our northern states.

As an aside, pickled fish is the most disgusting thing I've eaten. I can't believe people in Michigan and Wisconsin (from Nordic descent) eat that stuff.

Uhhh guess again. In English (the only language which this arguement matters) it means the country.

America=The country, The Americas= North and South America

dont speak to me in that tone of voice again

The average income difference is 700 a year which is essentially negligible and shittier when you realize that dye to exchange rates they get screwed on a lot of items they purchase.

>Even if America ceased to exist tomorrow I wouldn't fear a Chinese or Russian invasion.
Russia has overlapping Artic territorial claims with you, has a heavy raw materials based economy and annexes peices of it's neighbors when they are mad. How do you think that'll turn out. Maybe if you're lucky the Brits and French would help you but that's be a lot for them to take on.

Unless we are discussing sheep or fish.
singular + singular != singular

Canada isn't Ukraine or Chechnya. I don't think Russia has the means to sustain an invasion of Canada. They might be able to dominate arctic mineral rights, but not to annex Canada.

Hispanics in Florida are different than Mexicans. Also despite their high Hispanic population Arizona isn't exactly a big fan of Mexicans.

Aren't most of the "Mexicans" coming into the US these days actually Guatemalans, Hondurans, El Salvadorans who just travel through Mexico?

the wouldn't the desire either. why would a resource rich country invade another resource rich country? This isn't Fallout; this is reality. I'm sure the last thing on the Russian's mind is America's hat.

>As an aside, pickled fish is the most disgusting thing I've eaten.
Pickled Herring is great. Are you a Mexican or something?

Personally, I consider myself Danish. But I can't speak for my countrymen.

What American states absolutely hate each other?

Michigan and ohio.

California and NY

What is the reason for their conflict?

Some dumb war

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

>why would a resource rich country invade another resource rich country?
For more resources. The larger portion of a market you control the more you dictate the price.

Most of America hates California. Even for liberals their b.s. is a bit much.

and colombians but also mexicans from all over mexico. florida is all cubans though.

where do you think the term "United States" comes from in our national name you fucking mouthbreather?

Michigan here can confirm
we fought them in a war

also fuck california not being split up, and texas's retarded state-nationalism

>shiprock
>KANG
>big thicket
>atchafalaya
lmeo

We think of ourselves as burgers but not insane.

Most ive met are talkative and stupid, but ive only a handful of girls, and a couple cool guys

cant drive in ohio with michigan licence plate tho, cops will give you any ticket that they can

>They are already wealthier per capita than you are
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_wealth_per_adult

I read that as "the Americans are the continents" and I was about to agree

because texans are retarded
>MUH ALAMO
>MUH GUNS
>BASED TEXAS
>DONT MESS WITH TEXAS
>STEERS AND QUEERS, NEVER HEAR OF IT
>FUCK MEXICANS
>WE CAN BE OUR OWN COUNTRY LMAO
despite being overun by chicanos. they are hilariously arrogant. fuck texas

Maybe, but that has a long time before they approach the number of Mexicans that are already here.

I'm greek

yes how dare they have a culture and sense of pride in themselves

One solution to that problem.

No

I identify as trans-greek

bump

Canada elected a substitute drama teacher because he promised to legalize weed and then never did.

That's not even a meme, that's reality.

No, it isn't.
First off, unless you are from Papineau, you didn't elect Trudeau at all, you just voted for your local MP. 2nd, weed legalisation was never a major factor [it will be legal next July though]. 3rd, first past the post is a thing and a majority of Canadians did not vote for liberal MPs, just more than voted for NDP, Tories, Greens, etc. 4th, it was more a rejection of Haper's Tory government than an endorsement for the liberal party, and the libs choose Trudeau not because of weed, looks, brains, or his having been a drama teacher, but to cash in on his name, fame, and ability to appeal to French and English voters with perfect bilingualism, something that had dogged Harper and Mulcliar.

actually Canadians LOVE love love to talk about how different they are from Americans. some even like to think they're better than them for almost no reason (other than healthcare)

We Canadians have become incredibly smug in the last decade and I really don't like it. Its like we Canadians loved getting complemented on being humble & polite so much that we just decided not to wait around for other people to tell us how polite & humble we are, and instead shout it out at every opportunity.

Heres what I mean, classic Canadian programming.
>youtube.com/watch?v=P-u3o2hvdUg
>youtube.com/watch?v=gFgPX0hnNfA

I would like to apologize for anyone who has had to put up with a smug, arrogant leaf.

>American education

Are you insulting Rick Mercer for a classic comedy bit?

Nope

Canada... I...
:3

no I am insulting the leagues of arrogant Canadians who love those clips but who would be fooled by a 'Talking to Canadians'

>entire world
Except for North Americans. Also, if official languages don't define a country, then the EU is just one country.

Yeah, there are plenty of insufferable Canadians and I'm 100% sure I could get Karen Ludwig, my MP, to say something stupid about a made up American politician or building.
Also Mercer is a national treasure

>We Canadians have become incredibly smug in the last decade and I really don't like it. Its like we Canadians loved getting complemented on being humble & polite so much that we just decided not to wait around for other people to tell us how polite & humble we are, and instead shout it out at every opportunity.
Sadly, I've noticed this too. It seems like it's gone from a bit of friendly banter to genuine contempt.

I think this is a better version of how North Americans see North America

hHe is, hes great I love his rants on Canadian problems & his comedy.

But I still dislike Talking to Americans, for me it just epitomizes this modern and trendy disdain for America that Canadians have.

I'm a Greek. People from all over Europe seem to recognize me by my overwhelming beard.

No.
Your Midwest is all wrong, and there's more. Also, what's up with CO?

CO just seems to be such a mix of every goddamned thing. There are trendy hipsters in Denver, cowboys and desert in the SW, ranchers and midwest prarie in the East, Indians almost as common as transplanted southern Californians, you never know if the small town your in is full of trust fund babies enjoying the slopes or ranchers in an old mining town. Plus the Denver Illuminati Airport just to make it weirder.

Pull yourself together Colorado

Colorado is the best state, and I want to move back there.
Fuck New England.