youtube.com/watch?v=Ns167_llTiA
youtube.com/watch?v=S-sJp1FfG7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=PEGccV-NOm8
youtube.com/watch?v=l_lblj8Cq0o
youtube.com/watch?v=ySfwW_xSRU4?t-23a
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Asks why hip-hop isn't taken seriously
>Post an album that has a skit about hanging people off a building by their genitals

It largely is, except by old people

youtube.com/watch?v=SK6RIFKItTg
>This isn't a great song because of the edgy intro

because lyricism cannot be fully sunk into the mind when spoken more than 4 words every 2 seconds?

That's why you sit down and read the lyrics.

It is, it's probably the most popular genre in Amerocan music for the past several decades. If you're asking why frogposters on this board don't take it seriously, racism and insecurity

I disagree with the guy above, but this is a big counterproductive no? music should always be heard clearly. that's what makes it such a unique medium. you shouldn't have to go look up lyrics later

>music should always be heard clearly
Do you not like shoegaze or lofi?

I do but I don't listen to it for the lyrics lol
stuff like folk where wordplay is key I think should be emphasized though

1. Because critics are a joke and still have a big impact on consumers.
2. Everyone seems to be close minded, old folks will never understand the humor in some genres, young folks confuse humor with depth.
3. Old folks fail to recognize social issues, young folks like to consume anything marketed as concious.
4. The real counter culture are either considered nerds or pretentious.

Because it's a peter pan genre that doesn't respect itself and which rapidly became substandard

I never really understood why people see hip hop in such a negative way, i mean there are some trash songs ofc. But why are people always so hard focused on the lyrics in a hip hop song? That seems to be the main critique about the modern age rappers that their lyrics are shit but they forget that there is a beat in the background.

Personally, I have never liked a song no matter how good the lyrics are unless the beat is good too and vice verca. It seems like people focus on one thing when it's hip hop and draw a conclusion from there

people see it in that way because of what you see on the mainstream.

Older people probably see it the same way as previous generations saw songs like "Street Fighting Man." The music is more stripped down than previous generations and the lyrics are about topics they don't like

Killselfunironically

>That seems to be the main critique about the modern age rappers that their lyrics are shit but they forget that there is a beat in the background.
Well, considering the fact that most of the time the beats are usually derived from other, vastly superior songs, it's kind of hard to find any redeeming qualities in the actual music.

Cause it's not music my negroid compatriot

>Well, considering the fact that most of the time the beats are usually derived from other, vastly superior songs
Like?

Is it perpetually 1992 on this board or something? This isn't some edgy form of music, I've seen suburban middle aged white women blast 21 Savage

But they sample in all genres?

Imma sew ya asshole shut, and keep feeding you, and feeding you, AND FEEDING YOU

the real answer? the fanbase

By who? Anybody who understands music and poetry is a fan of hip hop. Shit, these days even most critics with no idea about hip hop feel obliged to rate lame stuff like DAMN well. As old idiots are dying out, hip hop gets more and more respect ... only the younger artists who shit on the legacy are a problem.

Because most beats are pretty simple, and because spoken word is how it all started? Obviously the beats have to be nice too but hip hop without the lyricism is like a fucking cheeseburger without cheese. If you want some bland lyrics to a catchy beat, why not going with pop?

niggers. Seriously, how are you supposed to take any of this seiously. And don't say I'm nit picking, most people only go base level deep, so the fact alone this is what is popular in rap is enough to delegitimize it
youtube.com/watch?v=Ns167_llTiA
youtube.com/watch?v=S-sJp1FfG7Q
youtube.com/watch?v=4LfJnj66HVQ
youtube.com/watch?v=PEGccV-NOm8 (plus this is annoying as fuck)
youtube.com/watch?v=l_lblj8Cq0o
We need to go back to the good ole days
youtube.com/watch?v=ySfwW_xSRU4?t-23a

I'm pretty sure the lyrics are such a focus because the rappers are the one's in front of the album/track. Modern rap music isn't as focused on MC/DJ crews, and more focused on rappers striking one-album deals with producers. Since the rapper is the "artist," the rapper's contribution is given the most attention. And since the producer is (sadly) viewed as a "hired gun," the production is talked about less since they're not the primarily focused upon artist.

>Cherry picking

Because I'm gonna sew your asshole closed and keep feeding you, and feeding you, and feeding you...