I know I'm late on Arrival, but why did her kid draw the canary and make an alien out of Play-Doh...

I know I'm late on Arrival, but why did her kid draw the canary and make an alien out of Play-Doh? Did she somehow inherit her mother's memories?

Other than that, what a fantastic movie. I didn't think Renner would make a credible scientist but he didn't take me out of it at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G8U21reHexg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

because the child is living in a post-arrival world and her mom told her stories about them?

Because they already knew the existence of the heptapods. They even released footage to the public in the movie. Her mother even published a book.

I suspected that but thought there was more to it. I guess it makes sense since her mom was basically a celebrity. Thanks.

Did anyone else think the real twist was going to be that the two aliens were actually two legs of one gigantic alien?

you're a big heptapod.

I actually had that in my mind through the movie

It was a garbage movie. Boring and insipid. Fuck you OP.

Is Amy Adams this generation's mommy?

>Hollywood will never faithfully adapt an intelligent science-fiction story

Could have sworn the pan-up on Costello would have revealed this

Great movie. I really loved the sound design.

ambience of the first quarter was the best part for me desu, a lot of sic-fi jump straight to the action instead simply leaving the audience to anticipate

My biggest gripe with the movie was Amy Adams' characters decision. Making a baby knowing full well that she's going to die painfully of cancer is extremely selfish and immoral, it's the perfect story to give anti-natalism credibility. The whole ending felt so hollow and soul-crushing with this being the final payoff.
Still, a great movie, not as good as Sicario maybe, but definitely up there.

>Making a baby knowing full well that she's going to die painfully of cancer is extremely selfish and immoral
You mean like every birth?

Not like every birth, because I don't agree with anti-natalist ideology simply because of the fact that it's impossible to know if the new life created will cherish it or hate it, but in this matter it IS possible to know. That girl is going to suffer a slow and painful death, and her mother forced into this life knowing full well what will happen, and she even says "I enjoyed every second of it".. That's what makes it so ugly.

I thought Abbott is death process meant he was equivalent to the grim reaper or something.

Well i didnt think about it like that, but isnt taking away the existence and all the good moments from the girl equally bad? We all die ewentually

How to spot a pleb 101.

Its probably because the [spoilers] aliens have been well documented since their ARRIVAL and have hundreds of books and media about them.

Am I the only one who was very frustrated after the movie ended?

The alien talks about something that's supposed to happen 3000 years in the future and we never know what's that supposed to be about.

Does it matter? The film isn't really about that.

It matters to me. Don't bring up a detail if people aren't supposed to care about it.

It's not better, but at least you're not forcing that fate on someone.

I mean, it doesn't take too much effort to work out that they are probably going to face some kind of extinction event in 3000 years and they need humanities help to stop it from happening, and they can only achieve this by giving them the ability to think and see time as they do.

Because losers on the internet will go full autismo, focus specifically on that event 3000 years in the future and say dumb shit like "WELL IF THEY HAD THIS KIND OF TECH THEN THEY COULD'VE STOPPED IT AND DUH DUH DUH".

torrent when?

I assume it became common knowledge that Adams and Renner used a canary and spoke with the aliens.

The ending was frustrating in a different way for me.

Comprehending a language lets you see into the future, which somehows lets humanity help the heptapods in 3000 years. Do more people learn the language fully to develop these abilities? How can they be sure human civilization stays all friendly for 3000 years? How can they ensure humanities interest in the heptapod language?

I would have preferred:
Amy Adams translates, is given science behind FTL-travel and all that is necessary for it. Renner and team makes it reality, they set up embassies at the heptapod world and humanity works with the heptapods for 3000 years in order to prepare for whatever it is they need help with. No timey wimey stuff.

Other than that, great film. Felt like it was made to cater to my interests, loved it.

the future is deterministic, if humanity didn't help them in 3,000 years they wouldn't have known that humanity would help them in 3,000 years.

If Amy Adams chose not to have the baby, she wouldn't have known that she was going to have the baby.

in this movie there are not branching timelines being created by choice or chance, it's all one single occurrence that we perceive a moment at a time, as opposed to the Heptapods who perceive the entire thing at once.

BEST: INCENDIES
WORST: Polytechnique
FAVORITE: Sicario
OVERRATED: Prisoners
UNDERRATED: Enemy

reminder that this movie was trash and amy adams was the only character, and not a very good one

the only good things about this movie were the heptapods, even the twist was predictable and stupid when you think about it for more than one second

Could Amy Adams have chosen not to have the baby even if she wanted to? If you perceive time simultaneously does that mean that all of time is simultaneous? If you remember something happening a certain way, doesn't that mean it already happened? If she sees that things will happen, are they already happening/have already happened? If she could decide not to have the baby, would she suddenly have different visions of the future that conflict with the visions she had up until that point? I wish the movie had spent a little time examining some of these ideas.

Why the fuck would you think that?That's a real stupid thing to think, man.

Was Ian right to walk out on the child he knew would die?

That's what it's saying. That time is it. There's no changing anything. Everything has happened and always will happen that way. Hence why she does what she does with that attitude. Because it already did/will/is happening all at once

Maybe, but the movie should have explored this a little more. Amy Adams never reacts to that fact in any significant way. The movie's main message just seems to be "embrace life with all its hardships." Of course, she was a linguist not a scientist or philosopher so maybe the grander implications of her visions never really occurred to her. I feel like if the aliens told me I was seeing the future the first thing I would do is question the nature of time, but Amy Adams just kinda takes it in stride and goes about her business.

I'm watching this film right now and it's a complete piece of shit. I should never have given Hollywood meme-sci-fi another chance

Amy Adams is usually a great actor but they actually managed to make her less interesting than the movie itself.

no but it's entirely understandable

but he still had visitation

>liking a contrived piece of garbage like this
no, THIS, is how to spot the pleb

The movie was really fucking stupid.

They took the obvious premise that language structures how we think and perceive the world and turned it into the completely retarded concept that learning this alien languages somehow literally biologically alters your brain in such a way that you somehow acquire the skill to see into the future.

The sound design was the worst part of the film
>low-pitch, booming sound in half the scenes
>clichéd music appearing in triumphant scenes and flashbacks

You usually don't see shit as bad as this outside of found footage horror flicks. If they wanted to build an ambiance, they completely threw it out of the window with those ridiculous sound effects and music.

Not to mention the thinly veiled anti-Chinese propaganda.

I thought that was refreshing in today's sino-friendly Hollywood

And she wrote the book.

>that sounds recording that ends with a Russian scientist getting shot
Laughable

That was the soundtrack, not sound design you filthy casual uncultured swine

Glad you got that out of your system

Read my post again and you'll see that I'm bashing both

youtube.com/watch?v=G8U21reHexg

arrival is clearly the worst and the most overrated.

polytechnique is better than enemy too

For all the pain the child was put through, the child experienced a great deal of joy too
And you can't compare non-existence with life
Plus, she couldn't actually change events. She only knew her daughter was gonna get the illness because the daughter already had the illness in the future. If she didn't have a kid, she wouldn't be able to remember her kid getting ill

>dude life is shit if you experience a bad death lmao

What a retarded concept

You can't remember something that didn't happen user unless you have a bad memory open to external influence
So no, she always chose to have the baby. It's impossible for her to choose differently. But it is still a "choice"

>a good movie comes out
>anons are only capable of discussing the narrative

Sup Forums will always stay a first class supreme land

That's literally the point dumbass. The heptapods know what is going to happen at all times and their philosphy on it is that they are but actors on the stage of the universe, playing out the parts that the universe has set for them and Amy Adams picked up the philosophy during her deeper learning of the language. That's why Costello fucked off during the bomb scene, because Abbott knew what was going to happen and sacrificed himself.

>Does it matter?

It's the entire fucking reason the aliens are there in the first place

I'd say it matters

What movie?

It does not matter in any shape or form.

Knowing the reason why does not affect or change the narrative whatsoever.

Why waste screentime showing something which does not move the story forward, other than fill your precious headcanon with useless details?

Any movie really, doesn't matter good or bad.

Only "but what does it actually MEAN?!?" yahoo.answers.com type posts and threads all day.

All the other filmmaking elements don't matter at all here, just the literal plot point progression shown on the movie.

There is nothing selfish at all, au contraire. She made the decision out of love and because she learned how to communicate with the aliens in part due to the flash forwards she had with her daughter.

We all die, we all suffer losses. It's part of living.

when will the amy adams meme end

>immorality is justified because dude life lmao
kek
natalists eternally btfo by this movie

because their story became pretty fucking famous (contact with aliens is a reasonably big deal) so she saw TV documentaries about her parents

you fool