OK Computer received widespread critical acclaim and has been cited by listeners...

OK Computer received widespread critical acclaim and has been cited by listeners, critics and musicians as one of the greatest albums of all time. It was nominated for the Grammy Award for Album of the Year and Best Alternative Music Album at the 40th Annual Grammy Awards in 1998, winning the latter. The album initiated a stylistic shift in British rock away from the then-ubiquitous genre of Britpop toward melancholic, atmospheric alternative rock that became more prevalent in the next decade. The album's lyrics and music depict a world fraught with rampant consumerism, social alienation, emotional isolation and political malaise; in this capacity, OK Computer is often interpreted as having prescient insight into the mood of 21st-century life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N_mTKjpUoVQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yeah

Neat!

woah!

the fact that some many listeners, critics and musicians cite OK Computer as one of the greatest albums of all time really tells you how far rock has been dead

>It's shit.
- Random anonymous asshole, www.Sup Forums.org/mu/, every year, every day.
There you go, everything you said is invalidated.

Radiohead, the most hyped and probably the most over-rated band of the decade, upped the ante for studio trickery. They had begun as third-rate disciples of the Smiths, and albums such as Pablo Honey (1993) and The Bends (1995) that were cauldrons of Brit-pop cliches. Then OK Computer (1997) happened and the word "chic" took on a new meaning. The album was a masterpiece of faux avantgarde (of pretending to be avantgarde while playing mellow pop music). It was, more properly, a new link in the chain of production artifices that changed the way pop music "sounds": the Beatles' Sgt Pepper, Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, Fleetwood Mac's Tusk, Michael Jackson's Thriller.

I agree.

Radiohead: OK Computer [Capitol, 1997]
My favorite Pink Floyd album has always been Wish You Were Here, and you know why? It has soul, that's why--it's Roger Waters's lament for Syd, not my idea of a tragic hero but as long as he's Roger's that doesn't matter. Radiohead wouldn't know a tragic hero if they were cramming for their A levels, and their idea of soul is Bono, who they imitate further at the risk of looking even more ridiculous than they already do. So instead they pickle Thom Yorke's vocals in enough electronic marginal distinction to feed a coal town for a month. Their art-rock has much better sound effects than the Floyd snoozefest Dark Side of the Moon. But it's less sweeping and just as arid. B-

OKC is a 9, Kid A is better

and in rainbows is better than both :)

the Dean speakth the truth
also, guess the album for this review
I liked this a lot better once I heard how it was entirely about sex, which since it often buries its pulse took a while. Sex, not fucking. I'm nervous so you'd better pet me awhile sex. Lick the backs of my knees sex. OK, where my buttcheeks join my thighs sex. I'm still a little jumpy so you'd better pet me some more sex. How many different ways can we open our mouths together sex. We came 20 minutes ago and have Sunday morning ahead of us sex. Or, if fucking, tantric--the one where you don't move and let vaginal peristalsis do the work (yeah sure). The atmospherics, glitch techno, harps, glockenspiels, and shades of Hilmar Om Hilmarsson float free sometimes, and when she gets all soprano on your ass you could accuse her of spirituality. But with somebody this freaky you could get used to that. English lyrics provided, most of them dirty if you want. A-

Trash music for trash people.

>Radiohead
>Mellow Pop
>Thinking faux avantgarde could even exist
user, politely get your head out of your ass

it's a great album with interesting themes

of course it gets circlejerked to no end, but if you can get past the hype it's a good listen

Christgau is a huge fag and his fanbois are subhuman trash

There's literally nothing wrong with what was posted

I really don't understand how people like Christgau and Scaruffi spend all their days engaging themselves in studying arts and only manage to shit out such substanceless, tactless opinion pieces. Like imagine being retarded enough to imply OK Computer suffers from overblown electronic bombast when more electronically influenced shit in rock had existed for fucking decades?
youtube.com/watch?v=N_mTKjpUoVQ

>pointing out the use of studio-baroque bullshitting to pave over artistic deficiencies is literally the same as saying electronic music has never been used in rock

do you faggots even read what scaruffi in particular says

>artistic deficiencies
Humour me. What artistic deficiencies?

First of all that was a Scaruffi review anf second of all this is one of those cases where he absolutely nailed everything about them. Radiohead IS mellow pop and faux avant-garde exists in a sense. It's like if someone who isn't avant-garde present themselves to be so

Literally no one ever said OK Computer was avant garde

That wasn't what was implied at all. What was implied was that in OK Computer the electronic elements felt completely pointless and like filler for something that actually adds to the artistic merits of the albums

I've seen a lot of hipsters refer to them as that