This is actually the best prog rock album

This is actually the best prog rock album

Other urls found in this thread:

auction.catawiki.com/kavels/2636951-jethro-tull-thick-as-a-brick-lp-in-newspaper-sleeve-chrysalis-chr-1003-uk
youtube.com/watch?v=v3ozXQNsQYs
youtube.com/watch?v=uBYPPjLJO5U
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why?

you're right OP

reminder that Anderson hated the name "prog rock" so much taht he decided to completely drop the genre
good job Ian

Not even the best Tull album

*blocks your path*

I don't think so pal

>Thinks that Ummagumma is better than every album Pink Floyd released after it
Scaruffi is the ultimate contratian

TAAB and ITCOTCK are easily tied for the best.

Tbh these lists are outdated, and if he's going to list these albums as prog rock, his actual fav Pink Floyd album is Piper.

Nice try kiddo.

>ELP
pure wankery

>Complaining about wankery
>In a prog thread
shiggy diggy

Best ELP record by far.

>tfw got the album on vinyl in original packaging for 8 bucks
Feels very good, man. Great album, I think Jethro are kind underrated here, and especially Songs from the Woods/Heavy Horses.

Just picked up the version of the LP that looks and has a newspaper booklet inside.

auction.catawiki.com/kavels/2636951-jethro-tull-thick-as-a-brick-lp-in-newspaper-sleeve-chrysalis-chr-1003-uk

>Piper
What an awful taste.

He also declined the original Woodstock because he didn't like hippies, the absolute madman.

Trilogy=Tarkus>Self Titled>PaaE>WBMFttStNE>BSS>>Works 1>>>Works 2>Love Beach>>>Everything else

If you're like me you might have heard the whole thing about Thick as a Brick being a parody/satire on prog albums, which I didn't really understand, since the humor is so dry it's barely there. It didn't click with me until I listened to Gentle Giant:

youtube.com/watch?v=v3ozXQNsQYs

And then I got the exact kind of overblown prog they were making fun of. Not that I don't like Gentle Giant, but it's pretty brilliant.

It's an amazing album. However I listened to it again, and was surprised at the lack of complexity in the guitar parts. Honestly I think 90% of the guitar in this album is pretty trash. I get it, it's not wankey or anything, but even just the tone of it is pretty underwhelming. Luckily the arrangements for the other instruments still make the album amazing.

I've never listened to Roxy Music before but I always thought they were proto-punk.

Like this user I have a copy with the newpaper inside, and at various points inside of it they make fun of prog. My favorite bit is where it states that people who heard the poem "felt that it was not one poem but a series of separate poems put together to merely appear impressive". Inside, theres also a review of the record itself, which is a satire of how critics would degrade prog albums for having different time signatures and key changes. It not only makes fun of prog but of the critics of prog as well.

Tarkus has a weak B side.
Easily one of the best packaged records.

Yes and yes. Tarkus' A side more than makes up for the B side though, in my opinion. Also, consider the fact that its the B side of fucking TARKUS, anything would seem weak after that. Bitches Crystal and A Time and a Place are solid tracks though.

I actually have the original vinyl as well, but I haven't taken the time to read through it all, it's fucking massive (and fragile). According to Wikipedia, Anderson said it took more time to write the text than to record the album, which is pretty funny.

Also from Christgau:
"the usual shit: rock (getting heavier), folk (getting feyer), classical (getting schlockier), flute (getting better because it has no choice)".

I suggest you do user, its worth the time. Keep the album on repeat while you read.

Scaruffi really does have good taste after all

I love songs from the wood, I feel like its often overlooked because of how late it came out in his discography
I also got a nice original copy of taab with all the newspaper in tact and everything and paid like 2.80 for it

Good one, but is not.

>side b
>mfw
side a is probably some of the best music to ever come out of prog though

That's the side i like more, kek.

Cinema Show and Aisle a Plenty are great.

it's a tough one but ultimately the hare who lost his spectacles loses passion play a point. TaaB is perfect.

The best prog album is actually Godbluff tho btw

I've listened to it dozens of times and still nothing.
I even got into Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot and THEN tried it again and its still shit imo.

Listen to this.
youtube.com/watch?v=uBYPPjLJO5U

this is some good shit, reminds me of everything I love about Nursery Cryme, minus Steve Hackett