What are some of the best modern synths right now? I like a lot of the vintage stuff, of course...

What are some of the best modern synths right now? I like a lot of the vintage stuff, of course, but know nothing about repairing synths and don't want the headaches that come with them. Although kind of basic sounding, I think the Minibrute is capable of a lot of interesting things, and i'm sure when fed through some pedals, it can become a really useful and versatile synth. A similar comparison would be the Minilogue/Monologue

Any other interesting modern synths out there? Opinions?

korg ms20 mini is a pretty solid synth, moog sub phatty and sub 37 are pretty good too.

I own a minilogue and monologue. They are both great. Depends on what you're doing. I use the Mono for bass and lead lines a ton. The Mini is very versatile though. If I had to pick one it would be the minilogue. It can do most things the Mono can do. If you are on a budget the Korg Volca line is worth looking into. Cheap and small synths and they have that genuine analog tone.

Not OP, but what are some good under a $700 polysynths besides the minilogue?

Ciat-Lonbarde Sidrax and/or Tetrax organs, along with his Plumbutter drum machine and Cocoquantus.

What's a good, fun synth for some weird as fuck sounds? Monomachine seems great for this. Nothing musical of the sort, just odd little bleeps and bloops. I know this is basically modular but it's not exactly affordable.

Check out the Roland System-1 or Novation Basstation II

The Monologue can do some weird ass shit. The dude from Aphex Twin did a bunch of the patches

Novation Bass Station 2

Why not go modular? DIY makes it dirt cheap if you do your homework and research the big DIY companies like CGS etc.

Just got a monologue as my first hardware synth, can confirm. RDJ made custom scales/tunings as well. Really cool machine

pretty much everything is pretty good right now. from monos to polys, there isn't really a bad pick out of the the gear that has come out in the last 5 or so years. the only things that are the older 'new' synths that are still hanging around, like the microkorg, that's just a fucking disgrace, the quintessential memesynth. but it sold/sells like pancakes because RETARDS and from a business standpoint you gotta keep selling it.

Blame Crystal Castles and MSTRKRFT/DFA1979 for starting the shit while at their peak. Jerkoffs all around the world gobbled up Microkorgs after that.

yeah although i don't blame anyone too much for that, it was kind of what was available at the time industry wide, as far as 'new' synths. bunch of limited polyphony virtual analog synths with minikeys [remember the alesis micron? etc.] even devo were rocking microkorgs, although i think for them it was more a joke anyway.

at least nowadays you can get a nice cheap mono or poly with or without keys in either true analog or hybrid or super powered all digital. it's a great time for synths right now.

True. Teenage Engineering's stuff is just plain fun. I have a friend currently working on his own modular set up. He's having a blast. It's definitely a good time to be into synthesis.

I'm still hearing twee shit out there with Microkorg presets and it's hilarious. People are suckers for shit with fake wood paneling.

Am I stupid for getting a jx-03 for Christmas?

No

Another DIY user here. Seconding that option.

Pic related

is there a DIY for dummies guide or something?

>presets are bad

Dude what? I dug out my old microkorg after playing analogs for the past few years and was blow away by how good it actually sounded. Yea the presets suck but once you start making your own sounds its pretty good. Legowelt said it sounds like a mix of a Jupiter 8 and Poly 800 and that's the most accurate way I've seen it described. Sometimes Its fantastic and other times Its garbage, just depends on the user. Its the most flexible synth for the money, hands down. You can get one for like $150-200. I've completely replaced my minibrute with it for basses.

its an old softsynth in a box. for the price of a used microkorg you can get a monster polysynth for your preferred DAW with actually usable polyphony. legowelt is overrated. also he's a shill as of late with all of his endorsements.

thank you. I've been having quite a lot of fun with it but still need strangers on the internet to judge my choices

>The dude from Aphex Twin

>is there a DIY for dummies guide or something?
Not that I know of. There is a Electronics for Dummies though which would probably help. I've made all those modules and a few more with very little Electronic knowledge. I know the bare basics now like what the components are, how to find resistance of resistors polarity etc. Ive learnt it all from building kits though and knew nothing when i started. I tried soldering a few cheapo Electronic kits from Maplins first. Then dove right into building the Noise Swash. Most of the kits come with step by step guides so its mostly just a case of being able to solder and follow instructions. That being said if you do fuck something up you probably dont have the knowledge to fix it

I think he means that "Richard" dude

Yeah

bump

i don't know why people keep recommending the bass station 2. it was my first synth and it's fun for a while but the sounds are all so digital and sterile despite it being an analog synth. it mostly gets used as a midi controller now.

I wasn't looking into these recently, and the best I could find at varying price points were the minilogue, monologue, microbrute and the JD-XI

>i don't know why people keep recommending the bass station 2
Because its considered a decent synth for the price. It wouldn't be my choice, but people obviously like it. I had an original basestation rack that I bought when they were released in the 90's.
I think now I'd want to get some super expensive mega synth or just buy modular stuff as its way more flexible.

I think one of the things that used to put me off Modular was their bulky size, but now seeing you can get smaller Euroracks/cases, I am quite intrigued, I admit! I'll look into it. I'd love a Music Easel, they sound amazing and right up my alley, but I don't think I could ever justify the cost unless I was rich. Apparently a lot of them were built poorly too, and you can make your own rack that is similar in sound/function.

you can make any noise with this shits. user interface is intuitive as shit too.
beautiful .

plebsets more like it. you have shit taste, my man.

I like how it sounds but I hate the menu diving

that's the fun part. i can agree with you on that last routing menu, that's a bit full on.

>t. blofeld brainlet
that's a trash synth and you should be embarrassed

maybe if you only use the presets, you deadshit.

I fuck hard with the Korg Volcas

Anything made after 1988 is garbage. Keep trying though.

oh you're retarded.

This whole thread is about modern synths, you mongoloid

There are very few 'bad' modern synths.

Analog Mono -- MatrixBrute or Sub37
Analog Poly -- REV2, Novation Peak, or the Behringer meme synth
Digital Mono -- lol
Digital Poly -- Circuit/Ultranova, Sledge, Streichfett, Boutiques/Volcas, or an iPad (Zeon, Gadget, Thor, Syntronik)

Roland boutique stuff cheap 2nd hand. Dyor