Moana and the Ocean of Flubber

I just saw Moana and it was surprisingly very good, but one thing nagged at me and actually reduced my overall opinion of the movie a bit. That is, the ocean being an actual living character. In particular, the fact that the ocean is shown to literally be alive and able to think and feel as well as move on its own accord similar to Flubber, even to the point of creating a little face/head that it can use to directly communicate those emotions and thoughts to people with (nodding or giving looks of approval/disapproval).

It would have been neat to have those semi-mystical moments where the current sweeps Moana toward her destination quickly or brings people back to the boat if they fall off and stuff like that, I get all of that: It's a fairytale based on island folklore and that usually does present the ocean as a living or spiritual force. It acts as the hand of fate in a way, and it's a neat idea. So the moment at the beginning where the water recedes to lead Moana to find things or when it creates a current to help her swim to her stolen boat and all of that was great, the general idea of the ocean "choosing" her and "helping" her makes sense in the context.

But the extent of independent thought and action that the ocean is capable of leads me to wonder: Why did it allow Moana to get hit with that big wave when she first tried to leave? Why do people drown when they fall into the ocean if the ocean literally has the power to pick them up and put them somewhere safe? When the chief and his friend went past the reef as teenagers, why did the ocean intentionally kill the chief's friend instead of creating an air bubble for him to breathe in or floating him safely to shore? It raises so many more questions for no reason, and removing the Flubber aspect would only result in the loss of a couple slapstick scenes that could just have a different hook and it'd be fine.

It's a kid's movie. Why don't you make a post complaining about the fact that nobody in Frozen died of hypothermia even though it turned from summer to winter in literally minutes (with plenty of people out swimming, farming, hunting, etc.).

torrent link?

Moana is obviously a Demigod herself and can control the ocean if she focuses.

I don't think the whole ocean was actually her friend. Seemed more like it was one or a few water elemental spirits in her corner, with the rest being neutral and a few being hostile.

the ocean is kind of an asshole

>from the creators of Zootropolis
really makes you think

didnt it bomb lmao

The ocean is literally the U.S. government.

>Mowana's main deal is she wants to explore beyond the island
>everybody keeps telling her DO THIS SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND WHO YOU REALLY ARE

She controlled it when she had the gem thing.

Don't apply your human morality to what is basically a water god.

You try getting pissed and shit on by trillions of fish and tell me you wouldn't start drowning sailors.

this post made me smile, teeth exposed

Well maybe it can't just help everyone willy nilly even if it wanted to

/Solved

moon gravity did it

Why can't Disney just write a simple, nice plot? Why does everything have to be so weird and dumb with them?
Frozen had an absolute clusterfuck of a story, this one is even worse. How hard is it to write a story for kids to enjoy
>they travel to parallel dimension to fight a giant crab
>so they can fire a giant fire god
>who is afraid of water
>and is actually a giant green lady who turns into an island

I agree. it was the one thing that bugged me, but the ocean being alive did lead to some really good visual gags.

you know what I think: the guys at Disney controlling the characters and the story probably wanted it to be implied that the ocean is a "being" that sometimes listens and sometimes doesn't. kind of like a force of nature.... which it quite literally is. this would have made sense if the movie didn't end up with so much comic relief from the ocean. it seemed to take on a character of its own, especially that final bit with its growing irritation with the chicken. that was really where it broke the immersion for me, and I don't think that part was necessary at all. it seemed like a joke that you'd find in the directors cut.

got two nose exhales from me

What was his endgame?

because they think in scenes and setpieces, not in a cohesive whole

To destroy everything by eating it... even if it isn't edible...

cuck the white pig

They were just using Polynesian myths you dumb cow. At least they were all ocean themed not like the fucking force trolls in Frozen.

>a major character has a water-based superpower
>her entire motivation in life is wanting to go out
>but for asinine reasons, she can't
>except when her homeland gets fucked, she sets out on adventure
>her male sidekick pussies out and leaves, only to return in the last minute to do nothing of value (she needs no man, member?)
>the movie's main conflict is resolved through love, or some shit, kids love it
"Werked in Frozen, just do it again"

Mike hated it. No humanity. Moana's little jungle flower doesn't get ravaged by The Cock.

-Jay

why did they show her tits as a child

Well the Christmas weekend is coming up and there's absolutely nothing to watch in January, so that might work out for it unless Rogue One steals all potential viewers.

why didn't she just create a massive tsunami to kill te ka?
why didn't she just open the seas to let the coconut pirates fall to their death?

Because she doesn't have control over water. The ocean is acting of its own accord. It's funny, because my complaint was that this was way too obvious because of how they presented it, but apparently some people STILL didn't get it and they think Moana is a fucking waterbender?

not that guy but maybe some people thought she would have water powers the same way Frozen controled ice?

That's probably it, yeah, but it's still dumb because the ocean is not only constantly referred to as a living entity with its own will by most of the characters, it also manifests a "face" of sorts that is used to convey emotions and responses completely independently of Moana. I just don't see how anyone could watch this movie and think Moana is a waterbender rather than the ocean is acting on its own (as is literally stated outright by the characters in the movie).