What is the film of 2016 that critics got the most wrong?

What is the film of 2016 that critics got the most wrong?

>inb4 BvS/SS faggots, the joke isn't funny anymore, you're just embarrassing yourselves
>inb4 OP can't inb4

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius_(mythology)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

in a fair world, Neon Demon is 67%

Neon Demon was fucking garbage. 55% is too high.

Its score is perfectly fine.

It is a cinematic masterpiece

also

>caring what critics think

BvS or SS

neon demon was a mistake that rating is accurate

>Tomatometer matches Audience Score within 1%

You mean they got it exactly right op?

Did Armond liked it?

Neon Demon had good visuals and music, but the second you start thinking about the story it all falls apart. It's all style, no substance. It's really quite pointless.

No.

He trash it pretty hard.

Whatever Rogue One scores.

>wow look at the deep symbolism it's a prism get it get it see it means she can only be seen through the "faces" of the triangle but nobody can see the light inside i'm so smart lelelele
lmao fuck off with this garbage

BvS

Finding Dory. It was so goddamn lazy and banal.

A good film needs to be more than just pretty. It's a great music video though

Finding Dory is a great movie.
Finding Nemo is a great film.

So that means it's good?

BvS

finding dory was 2/10 and thats generous

Maybe.

I thought it was ok but felt like it could have been much better.

The premise of remaking Finding Nemo with Dory was lazy in and of itself. Of course it was shit. I was actually shocked at how bad it was. It was so paint by numbers manufactured that I almost turned it off.

It actually had a lot of the same problems that TFA had. Disney is getting extremely lazy.

>A good film needs to be more than just pretty.

Which Neon Demon manages to do.

It's a great movie

>Jena Malone will never have sex with your dead body

Nah.

It tries to be smart and say something about vanity, but by the end it totally loses the thread. That triangle/catwalk scene is pure pretension btw.

>want to show main character turning from innocent to vain
>use blue to show innocence and red to show vanity
>wow, so subtle. so original!
>surround her by mirrors and have her kiss herself
>wow, so subtle. so original!

How does it fall apart? It's very simple

The Neon Demon is to femininity as Only God Forgives is to masculinity.
Both were genius and underrated as fuck.

well that's just your opinion

BvS
Why do people hate it? The Ultimate Edition was great

No wonder it bombed

>BvS
Pleb

Jesus vhrist would have preferred mediocrity over actually trying to be creative and visually interesting? Why would you rather one of the most visually distinct films to have come out this year have not even tried? I really don't get this anti-art shit that's all the rage these days. No one's saying it's a perfect movie ffs

>No one's saying it's a perfect movie
The post I responded to said it was a great movie. It wasn't great.

It gets points for being artistic, and if I was giving it a review, it would end up on RT as "fresh," but that doesn't mean we can't talk about its flaws. That catwalk scene is probably the worst thing about the film. It's not deep or smart. It's just obvious symbols and colors. It might be confusing or nonsensical to people who are newer to film, and so they'll praise it as deep and full of substance, but really it's just obvious and boring.

And that doesn't even get at the problems with the story, like how the entire last act, when Jesse goes to stay with Ruby, doesn't actually develop any of the themes which are brought up in the first hour and a half.

I thought of it as Refn trying to subvert your anticipating seeing her do the runway show. I think the fact that it's the only completely abstract scene in the movie helps highlight that it is the centrifuge around which the movie spins, and you can understand her personality shift afterwards, it bisects the movie. It's fine if you didn't like it, i could see how, but i do think it was a creative(albeit not extraordinarily "deep") way of doing that scene. I suppose it makes sense that if you didn't like that scene you wouldn't like the whole movie. It's like Jenga.

>doesn't actually develop any of the themes which are brought up in the first hour and a half

Which ones? I'm curious as to your thoughts on this

>I thought of it as Refn trying to subvert your anticipating seeing her do the runway show

To iterate a bit further on this: you know that that's what was happening, so you don't need to view it.

It actually didnt it grossed 2.5 million in the countries it had money to be released in being a german film festival entry, ie italy and germany

this senpai

>Which ones?
Again back to the catwalk scene, Jesse finally turns into a vain and egotistical person, which is what the whole film was leading up to in a way. This causes an expectation of some sort of commentary on her newfound vanity. Maybe a normal way to address this is to have her die as a result of her vanity, and I think maybe that's what Refn was trying to do, but he doesn't quite manage it.

She dies because she doesn't have sex with Jena Malone. And she's not avoiding this sex because of any part of her new character change. She was avoiding sex at the very beginning of the movie with her boyfriend, long before she changed. So, it doesn't really develop the idea of her vanity. Instead, it develops a different idea which was in the background of the film the whole time, the idea that the industry (and LA) was corrupt, evil, and would end up hurting her. And it also adds this strange occult element that hardly seems to belong at all.

I just feel like if you go through all the effort of having your protagonist change and really be the focus, you should answer all of that effort in the last act. Refn doesn't answer it, he swerves off in a different direction.

Glad that the audience rating isn't too high. Sausage Party was terrible, not because it was offensive or crude, but because it was just really dull and boring. Like The Interview before it, it simply wasn't funny, well written, well directed, or well acted. It's just boring.

The Accountant

Neon Demon was actually well received by many European critics, many calling it one of the best films of the year. The problem is that most American critics are too stupid and pedestrian to enjoy such films. If Roger Ebert were still alive he would have praised the film.

I didn't find it boring. I usually like tasteless adult animation like this. But the story really is shit and just gives up around the ending. I also agree with people that say most of the jokes hinge on the characters just saying "fuck" to be funny.

Ghostbusters

Are you familiar with the mythological definition of 'genius'(very different than it's commonly used today)? It's kind of like the personification of a concept or the galvanization a shared thought process amongst people.

It's a notion that has always been very interesting to me conceptually, so what i got from the movie was that if we were to compare it to what a genius like this definition refers to it as; the central cadre of women are all basically 'limbs' of the genius of beauty. To me the message is simply "Beauty is cannabalistic", that's it. And that's a more or less thought-provoking and worthwhile message in my opinion

Shit, forgot to post my link

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genius_(mythology)

christ. neon demon was trash

This is an interesting idea, but I'm having a hard time seeing how the story supports an interpretation like this. The idea of beauty being cannibalistic feels like precisely the sort of message Refn was trying to produce, but I don't see the evidence for it. How does the film abstract a few cannibalistic models into the idea that beauty as a whole is cannibalistic?

Great rebuttal, little philly

I wanna hug her

Roger Ebert was the definition of a safe, boring American critic. Only Pete Travers bests him in terms of having the same taste as the general critical consensus.

That is stupid. Better 'safe' and 'boring' than a contrarian or hipster. And Ebert was a quality, engaging writer most of the time.
A consensus isn't formed as a shady conspiracy, it's just the nature of prety much everything.

>Better 'safe' and 'boring' than a contrarian or hipster.
I'd rather watch a polarizing movie than one that is deemed universally "good" or "bad".

>Better 'safe' and 'boring'

I can't believe what I just read

>Better 'safe' and 'boring'
You're the kind of person who thinks Spotlight is a cinematic masterpiece, right?

The chick who died because she ate Elle was "not beautiful" so her body rejected it; this plus the fact that once they eat Elle they actually gain her beauty. It's not literal, and i don't think Refn was necessarily referring to the 'Genius' concept specifically; its just that that's what helped me reach the conclusion I'm comfortable with:"beauty is cannabalistic", which gave the movie value to me

This shit's communist af brah

Are you illiterate? I said 'safe' and 'boring' related to a critic's judgements, and in response to the first poster.
And Spotlight is mediocre, one of the most forgettable bps ever, a terrible choice.

No, they were appropriately scored. The directors cuts, and extended versions don't fucking count because the people who were doing the reviews are basing it off the theatrical cuts. Which were fucking horrible.

Sure, but now there's a permanent rating that doesn't represent the film's better and preferred versions

>I like to read safe and boring reviews
Why is Spotlight your favorite film of all time, user?

>overrated
Zootopia
Finding Dory
Kubo and the Two Strings
Cemetery of Splendor
Hail, Caesar!
Doctor Strange
Lemonade
Green Room

>underappreciated/underrated
Sully
Eye in the Sky
13 Hours
Gods of Egypt

>le daft bait

Gods of Egypt was really, really bad. And some of the worst CGI i've seen in a while. I hope you're baiting

Lemonaids should be in a special category of megaoverrated

Hail Caesar was underrated, many people didn't pick up on the overt religious subtext tied up with old Hollywood.

but it was interesting how fully and uncynically it adopted Ancient Egypt's antiquated (not to mention insane) worldview. It's a really bizarre but strangely genuine film and the flamboyant CGI works with the film's themes of excessiveness and plasticity. Plus it felt like a fucking Power Rangers episode so it was pretty cool.

Yeah, pretty bad all around.
I'm shocked it's critic score is as high as it is.

Fucking this.
>'wow everyone loved Dory in the first one so let's make a whole movie about her!'

ARE YOU ME? Fucking this.

>but it was interesting how fully and uncynically it adopted Ancient Egypt's antiquated (not to mention insane) worldview.
You mean you were impressed by the flat Earth sequence which was about 5 minutes of the 2 hour film.
The film didn't even have Horus fucking Set and smearing his semen on lettuce and tricking him into eating it.

I agree with you.

The only thing that I felt was semi-clever in the film was how they racially categorized the food.

Overall it was a mile wide and an inch deep. I didn't even find the "sex scene" to be crude. My normie friends at work were really shocked by it apparently though. They actually got my hopes high before I saw it because they made it sound outrageous when it really wasn't...

I guess my mind is much more tainted than theirs is.

>It's a really bizarre but strangely genuine film
>Shoot an ancient Greek movie
>Call it Egyptian
Yeah totally genuine.

It was almost like it was a sequel for a childrens movie that came out 10 years ago

Well it's not like the Greeks didn't become total Egyptiboos and try to rewrite a bunch of myths so their Gods could play together and jerk eachother off sometimes literally.
Besides a movie about Horus cumming into a pie and tricking Seth into eating it is going to play even worse than the actual movie they made.

That's just a cheap excuse

Batman v Superman

>Well it's not like the Greeks didn't become total Egyptiboos and try to rewrite a bunch of myths so their Gods could play together and jerk eachother off sometimes literally.
Pretty sure those were just Greeks being Greeks. Indo-European myths were just as weird as other mythologies.

>Besides a movie about Horus cumming into a pie and tricking Seth into eating it is going to play even worse than the actual movie they made.
Then it's not a sincere and accurate adaptation.

not really that's pretty much exactly what it was

No, just a cheap excuse. Children's films don't have to be mediocre fare, and Pixar itself, with exactly Finding fucking Nemo, showed it amidst its great streak in the last decade.

that rating is far to high should be a 3%

Please leave, Sup Forums is a Christian board.

How do you go from pure KINO like Up, Toy Story, Wall-E and the list goes on and on, to pure cashgrab shit like Finding Whatever?
Where did everything go so horribly wrong?

Sorry, guys, meant 93% Praise Malick

disney gaining control. also they might have run out of original ideas

Probleb child 2

One of the worst movies Ive seen

PIXAR hasn't made a good film since 1995.

*tips*

sterile cinematography, kinda like The Handmaiden, movies who are technically great but the vision of the director is still so shitty that what could have been a great movie turns out to be a very honest pile of shit

The movie does have one huge gaping plot hole: Elle Fanning is ugly as fuck.

The French critics got it right

>Gods of Egypt was really, really bad.
>but it was interesting how fully and uncynically it adopted Ancient Egypt's antiquated

And somehow Egyptian gods are played by fucking white males

>one huge gaping plot hole

you're moms hairy asshole

BvS

Stay buthurt OP

>BvS
>Dr Strange
>Ghostbusters
Not SS.

And yeah, BvS, OP, you're a pleb.

>The Neon Demon is to femininity as Only God Forgives is to masculinity.
I agree

but I found Only God Forgives super boring
I enjoyed Neon Demon far more

>I'm shocked it's critic score is as high as it is.
Are you really? You're surprised that a Jewish comedy that celebrates atheism and degeneracy got high scores from professional reviewers?