If they needed to destroy a planet, why not just launch one or a few of these at light speed at it...

If they needed to destroy a planet, why not just launch one or a few of these at light speed at it? The energy from the impact would be tremendous

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pYrRqMHQY7o
what-if.xkcd.com/1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Their physics doesn't work the same as ours.

it would burn up in the atmosphere.

Hyperspace travel is not conventional FTL. In hyperspace, objects made of conventional materials are repelled by gravity wells as they follow the curvature of hyperspace.

the energy of that impacting the atmosphere at light speed would still produce a shockwave large enough to cause, at the very least, tsunamis and a massive earthquake.

the answer to OPs question is that it simply wouldn't be interesting.

They would be detected long before any fighter or object even reached the planet. Also many planets have shields which is why they use the Death star in the first place. All of Death Squadron couldn't bombard Hoth because the planetary shield was too strong.

>The energy from the impact would be tremendous
Please show your calculations for the kinetic energy of a faster than light object.

According to TFA shields cannot stop an object in hyperspace.

this, faggot

>They would be detected long before any fighter or object even reached the planet. Also many planets have shields which is why they use the Death star in the first place

But in Episode 7, they fly the Millenium Falcon right through the shields.

I'm not calling you a liar but I need some proof of this. From what I recall from the film, they didn't hyperspace through the shield but shields refresh at microsecs, the falcon jumped through when the shield went refreshed.

Ignore that post. I thought the only reason they jumped to Starkiller was because shields have to refresh at the microsecond. The Falcon slipped through this at hyperspace but it required excellent timing (and a degree of Force sensitivity).

>The Falcon slipped through this at hyperspace but it required excellent timing (and a degree of Force sensitivity).

They just flew straight through it, there was no "refreshing" mentioned iirc. Han just hit the brakes at the right time, otherwise they would have just gone right into (through?) the planet at a speed faster than light.

I know I'm basically acting like this guy
youtube.com/watch?v=pYrRqMHQY7o

but it kind of makes everything in Episode IV, VI, and VII pointless. Why build giant lasers if you can just accomplish virtually the same thing by launching a big ship into the planet?

>op is trying to find "eagles fly the ring to mordor" for Star Wars

more like: it would burn up the atmosphere

all of it

what-if.xkcd.com/1/

That's... actually a great point. Why not just hyperspace a cruiser into the Death Star? You wouldn't even have to load it with explosives the sudden emergence from hyperspace into the structure would be catastrophic

Then why didn't the Falcon burn up in the atmosphere in Episode 7?

Why build the death star in the first place?

This is JJ Abrams we're talking about. He made both ships and death obsolete in Star Trek.

Considering the resources that the death star takes... why not just cheap out and do the thing they did in cod ghost, oribital kinetic poles

Because this is fantasy, not science fiction.

Not to mention the fact that rods from god are very impractical.

The eagles not taking them to Mordor has a few different explanations (Eagles are fickle, Gandalf was planning to do things that way, the eagles would have never taken them all the way, etc.). But this? It requires literally trillions of people people never thinking at any point "we can fly ships right through shields......huge asteroids can basically destroy planets....why not just make big, empty ships and fly them into planets?".

I know it's just a movie, but it's a massive plot hole.

The Death Star was always completely retarded. Why build a moon size space station to destroy planets that are valuable to you for the sole reason of "keeping people in line through fear" when you could use the resources to build trillions of droids to have a complete and total police state on every single planet in the galaxy?

Or I don't know...send in Y-Wings?

>death obsolete in Star Trek.
apex kek
I laugh every time I remember this.

Trips of proton torpedoes.

>But they move like a sleepy hutt so watch it

>"Starkiller Base was protected by a planetary shield that was strong enough to deflect any bombardment,[9] and could not be penetrated by any ship traveling at sublight speeds. The shield had an exploitable flaw, however; a fractional refresh rate necessary for a shield of its size, which could be exploited by a single ship exiting hyperspace inside the shield, with barely a second to right itself before crashing on the planet's surface."

The article for Hoth also states the shield on Hoth was strong enough to deflect anything. So something traveling at lightspeed as a weapon is impossible. Planetary shields are extremely powerful as we've seen. Alderan's shields hold the superlaser for a second before being overwhelmed.

>Why not just hyperspace a cruiser into the Death Star?
Because the object would be detected and the Death Star would simply move out the way or pull the object out of hyperspace with a gravity well.

>but it's a massive plot hole.
That's not what a plot hole is.

>muh superblood

So....everyone is immortal now, right?