I can't be the only one who only likes the simple garage rock tracks on this album right? Venus In Furs...

I can't be the only one who only likes the simple garage rock tracks on this album right? Venus In Furs, All Tomorrow's Parties, Heroin, Black Angels Death Song and European Son are all really boring desu

Other urls found in this thread:

hypostition.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-frozen-borderline.html?m=1
personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/murray.wood/astral.html
keyofz.com/vvoice.htm
rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/kick-out-the-jams-19690405
rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/black-sabbath-19700917
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're probably not the only one who feels that way, but I would be very sad if those tracks you mentioned were not on this album.

I'm sure there's lots of plebs who only like their poppiest stuff and hate anything experimental.

Sunday Morning is still good to this day. The back n forth between the guitar/celesta when the vocals aren't there, and the viola/guitar bits happening when vocals do come in make the whole thing very engaging.

I'm Waiting For The Man is repetitive as fuck. Would've been nowhere near as boring if only half as long.

Femme Fatale's a great track. There's that slight variation on the main riff, the chorus is still catchy while also changing things up, iand t's not overlong.

Venus In Furs is still great. Cale's viola hits are so perfectly timed that they really do sound like they got together with the ostrich guitar part and sounds like an extension of it. Still one of the most clever ways to kinda expand the sound of a drone.

Run Run Run is easily the worst song on here. It doesn't fit here, hell it sounds like something The Beatles would've written, and not on their good albums but the couple boring ass pop ones before those ones. Almost generic formulaic 50s rock n roll to a T.

All Tomorrow's Parties I am iffy on. The intro before the vocals is still very cool, subtly bringing in the parts. But the singing part is way too long and should've been done twice. Lou's second jammy bit's all over the place, too although he has this cool minimalism style thing going for a few seconds.

Heroin's still great. The song just keeps going more and more crazy as it goes on. Brilliant.

There She Goes Again is a fun track still, thanks to how the vocals are delivered, the percussive nature of the guitar, and the part where it speeds up. Perfect length, too for such a track.

I am not gonna lie I'll Be Your Mirror is my favorite song here, avant teens can suck a dick. These guys could be legit melody writers when they weren't wanking, and this is my favorite Nico performance even though I like Desertshore more than any TVU album.

The Black Angel's Death Song is repetitive garbage. Like not a single real change that happens through.

Jk the real garbage is European Son.

The songs you think are boring I think are GOAT!
In fact, the whole album is GOAT!

European Son is one of the best tracks on the album. It's like Sister Ray Jr.

run, run, run is like the best song on that album. it's super raw almost like john lee hooker blues except more like white junkie noise shit.
i guess it's a matter of taste. every song on this album is good

I love nico (did my senior thesis on her stuff) but her voice isn't for everyone. god i would've loved to have her be my lover

if only you were Jim Morrison :(

t. plebian

or bob dylan, or lou reed, or iggy pop, or jackson browne, or that keyboardist in her seventies new wave /goth band

anyway just leaving this here because it's on nico:
hypostition.blogspot.com/2017/03/the-frozen-borderline.html?m=1

>“She listened to the whole thing in a state of mesmerism bordering on shock, then said of Cale, ‘He built a cathedral for a woman in hell, didn’t he?'"
damn. what a quote.

i know right. lester bangs was one of my favorite music writers of all time, rip. He really predated "new sincerity" stuff while also being sort of gonzo, implicating himself and not just writing "objective critiques". god if only fantano was dead and lester bangs was alive.
although for this quote i guess I should credit his apparently very prescient girlfriend.

But Sister Ray is actually good though. It has a far better actual groove with hilarious lyrics and a wide variety of improvisational jams. European Son sounds like the same shit I hated on All Tomorrow's Parties' second jam where Lou's just randomly messing around not knowing wtf to do.
I would just personally listen to John Lee Hooker or any of those blues guys instead since their sound is far more raw and their vocals are far more expressive.

I like Nico's voice, too. It's far more expressive than it initially seems to people.

White Light/White Heat is my favorite album.

Don't hate on Fantano dude, if you wanna direct your frustrations on someone it's gotta be Christgau. That dude's singlehandedly responsible for spreading insincere faux elitism in music and shallow music journalism all in one. It's an influence that spreads to a lot of things music unfortunately, whether it's music journalism or how Sup Forums often approaches music. Bangs would've easily been the bigger and more influential music journalist if he was still alive.

you're right I also kinda hate christgau. can hate both tho lol.
fantano's just everything i hate about a certain kind of dude, I can't explain it

oh, I agree entirely. Lester's piece on Astral Weeks is still one of the best examples of music writing. he had such character and wasn't afraid to be honest about himself and never pawned his opinions off as facts.

For what it's worth though I feel that these guys work in context that'll eventually get you to not necessarily like them due to the negativity involved. Like with Lester you remember stuff like his Astral Weeks article or the Shaggs article or the Amon Duul II article or his stuff on TVU or his stuff on females in punk. You don't remember his MC5 review nor do you remember how off the mark he was on Sabbath's s/t when called them a straight up Cream ripoff (which he took back and admitted to not being right by the time he had to review Master Of Reality.)

I'm inclined to agree. In recent years I've begun to feel that psychedelia was a mistake.

Didn't Bangs and Christgau have pretty similar tastes though?

you have links to these articles? or a place where his shit is archived?

sort of similar but they disagreed about some bands. hard to tell without digging deep into christgau's back catalog anyway, which i'm not inclined to do. it's less their taste than tone. christgau is just too snide

Sorta? Like both of them ended up dickriding the punk movement a lot. But there are differences. Bangs liked TVU, Captain Beefheart, and Amon Duul far more. By the time Sabbath released Master Of Reality, Bangs took back how they were a lame mediocre band, so he was okay with metal. Christgau likes MC5 while Bangs wasn't the biggest fan of them. Christgau LOVED London Calling while Bangs at the time was like "listen to these female post-punk bands instead". This is what comes to mind immediately to me it's been about a year since I read either's stuff.

i remember some of bangs' really negative pieces (some of them were hilarious like the one on drinking cough syrup before a tangerine dream concert). the thing is even when he's mean, it's in a straightforward, not snide way. he's a sincere guy.

What are some good Bangs pieces I should read?

Also was the way he was portrayed in Almost Famous accurate? I didn't realize he was supposed to be a real person until like my second viewing

well his piece on nico that i quoted ("your shadow is scared of you") is great. idk if it's easily available online tho. u might have to find the book its in. either 'psychotic reactions and carburetor dung' or 'mainlines, blood feasts, and bad taste'.

and this one: personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/murray.wood/astral.html

You can get a subscription for rockbackpages (stupidly expensive, some of it used to be free not long ago), but a lot of it can be found otherwise

Astral Weeks review: personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/murray.wood/astral.html
Shaggs: keyofz.com/vvoice.htm
The Amon Duul one's in a book now called Eurock
The TVU stuff has already been posted

MC5 review:
rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/kick-out-the-jams-19690405
Sabbath s/t review:
rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/black-sabbath-19700917

idk if it's accurate, not having known bangs, but it seems pretty accurate, if slightly exaggerated

Oh I just noticed the TVU stuff wasn't posted. The only things I could immediately find were his TVU s/t review and The Guardian being nice enough to post the happenings of an interview between Bangs and Lou Reed

>Also was the way he was portrayed in Almost Famous accurate?
In that he was getting wary of how mainstream music journalism was becoming? Yeah. It's why he left his job at Rolling Stone.

dang. i was kinda hoping to find the female post-punk article(s). that sounds pretty interesting. God, it would've been so cool to hear what Bangs might've said about everything that came out after his death. fuck.

nvm, found it. (i assume)
keyofz.com/vvoice.htm

>Heroin
>All Tomorrow's Parties
>boring

>tfw when you make this big of a fool of yourself because you forgot who the Shaggs were
someone please kill me

You're right that Sister Ray is far far better than European Son, but I always liked the fact that since it's last on the album, it's sort of a prelude for things to come. My buddy and I have talked about this often, it's a great song but once you've heard it a few times it gets repetitive as fuck pretty much right off the bat