So is this actually better than the vanilla version?

So is this actually better than the vanilla version?
How much of an improvement is it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rqnD_Qfx1vQ
youtube.com/watch?v=jyzNP8IUs2g
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is it even real? First I heard of it

Nigga, it's black and white. That's the literal difference. Not that hard to wrap your head around.

Visually it looks much better, but they did nothing to the audio mix or anything else

Why would you watch a movie that is literally over-saturated to increase colours in black in white?

It's all about colours

It's better because it makes you more intelligent for watching black & white movies without actually watching an crappy old movie.

1) buy the normal edition of the Mad Max: Fury Road© Blu-Ray Disc™
2) place disc in your home media player connected to your television set
3) set the Color setting of your television to 0 (zero)
??????
5) PROFIT!

this

that's not how it works, you retards. back to Sup Forums with you.

enlighten us.

hurr durr all black and white is the same durr

I just wonder how high the box office would be f they released it like that

K I N O
I
N
O

Half of the movie's beauty was the strong colours, how can taking that out make it better?

It looks like shit because the contrast in the movie wasn't between light and dark but between opposing colours

It's an interesting experiment but ultimately because of the stylistic decisions of the colour version it's inferior.

Watch it to learn about the differences between black and white versus colour filming

What's the point?

youtube.com/watch?v=rqnD_Qfx1vQ

Really, George?

It just looks dumb because they took all the color out.

Trying to get more sales from pseudo-intellectual Letterboxd users

This is like taking the the touch screen off a cellphone and going back to having to press a single button three times to get the letter you want

Mostly just seems like a marketing gimmick to me.
some of these shots are pretty cool though.

intro looked kinda cool, but the desert looked shit

So set color sat to 0% and increase contrast. I've already done this and it's no real improvement, because the film was shot for color.

>now it's a shitty movie in black and white

It doesn't. If they redid the lighting and hanged the contrast to better the black and white difference it'd work. Even though the director wanted it to be black and white initially, he still had a very similar effect by making the main contrast orange and blue

its worse 3bh

some scenes def look better and clearer and have a different feel, which is cool, but overall i like the original version better

it'd be lower.

Sup Forums doesn't understand normies and how they feel about black and white.

this tho

It's a stupid cash grab. The film wasn't shot with the intention of it being black and white.

It wasn't shot with the intention of being oversaturated orange and blue either.

Yes, that's exactly how it was shot.

>cash grab

I doubt making a movie black & white is going to rake in the money.

>It wasn't shot with the intention of being oversaturated orange and blue either.
It literally was though

No, they only decided to make it look ugly in post-production because it looked too much like every other post-apocalyptic movie.

Normies don't buy DVDs anymore
Only collectors and obsessive fans
The people who were obsessive about Fury Road were fedoras.
It makes sense

They were marketing it saying "oh it's definitely better in black and white be sure to buy the blu Ray to find out"

seriously though, what's the reasoning behind this beyond basic color grading and threshold adjustments?

honestly it looks really nice. but surely this could have been released as a bonus with the regular dvd release rather than separately for obvious money reasons. at this point why not just release a black and white version for every major box office hit, right?
CA: Civil War Jet and Diamond, Moana: Night and Platinum, etc

it looks good. I won't deny that. but it feels cheap.

>Decrease saturation to 0.
>Increase clarity and contrast to max.
>Clip highlights to prevent blowout.
>Click apply in Adobe Premiere.
>?
>Profit!

Even the game is better

everything is subjective but the movie was literally made with color in mind, you can enjoy it more in black and white but if something's going to be "objectivly better" the BW version is not it.

the mist in BW is the other way around, made with BW in mind but had to keep the colors for the theatrical release. you can prefer watch it with color but if there's a "real" version is the BW one.

The mist in black and white raised a 5/10 to a 7.5/10

sometimes it works.

hey you read my mind

it is you moron

youtube.com/watch?v=jyzNP8IUs2g

It hides the bad CG better. The night scenes look much better.

Maybe there is something about the stylization of BW that helps with immersion. Like with 24fps vs 48fps. Since 24 is more unrealistic it makes you work more for the immersion. The harsh black and white feels more like a drawing than a movie, and thus you are forced to look at it from a more abstract perspective.
But just talking about this makes me feel like such a a fucking hipster so I'll stop.