When did you finally realize hip-hop was the genre that would reign supreme?

When did you finally realize hip-hop was the genre that would reign supreme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VXa9tXcMhXQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraftwerk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dark times are up ahead boys

when Flockaveli dropped nearly a decade ago

Nice pun.

It's kind of surprising that kids in almost 2020 are still listening to rap, but if hip hop has become really the absolute most popular genre in the US now, then it means the next generation won't care about it, because it will be the music their parents listen to, thus it's not "cool".
So, enjoy the last decade of hip hop, I guess. I honestly don't think its popularity will last more than 2025 though.

It won't last much tho, latino music and reggaeton are already beginning to appear in most popular charts, it's the new wave and artists like drake and rihanna are already heading in that direction

its called dancehall.

White kids have their parents listening to rock, but they themselves still listen to rock albeit somewhat different from dadrock(and with bands like Whitney, straight up dadrock) so don't count on that

It doesn't matter. Good genres develop under pressure.

it'll be dead by 2030

Dancehall, is the poor man's version of caribbean and latin music, it won't last

?
Kids nowadays think rock is for old people. You might have a few hipsters who listen to some indie bands, but in general the youth doesn't listen to music that doesn't have electronic beats. They get turned off by real instruments.

dude where have you been
it hasn't been cool to like rock for several years

All the cool kids were not into rock music when I was in school.

Aside from metal or is that minority more vocal than they actually are?

wtf poopoo peepee..

Kids in general don't like music that doesn't have electronic beats.
Maybe rock will make a comeback next generation, but for now, it's just "for old people".

What kind of electronic music do the kids listen to anyways, big room, deep house and moombathon still things or what

so when does the backlash start?

There's way too many sub genres (and meme genres) to even list now, but nah, mainly it's hip hop, trap and reggaeton.

A rapper already was the bestselling artist in 2000-2010. This is old news.

A single rapper is not an entire genre/scene though.
In the 2010s, rock is dead, hip hop barely has any competition other than his latin cousins.

Is Asia (i.e. Japan) the only hope left for music now?

Who cares whether one guy sells X amount of records or twenty guys reach the same number together? The cultural impact is the same, just the market got more competition.

>Asia (i.e. Japan)
Yes we know what a country in Asia is user

Dancehall used to be way different in the 80s and 90s. Pure ragga business. Now its just tropical EDM

Japan can't save rock if they've barely done anything fresh. Rock needs a waking jolt not more pastiches

>not knowing what i.e. means

I didn't say they need to revive rock though. Rock is dead and it will stay dead for at least another decade until the babies born today grow up and develop a distaste for electronic music and start searching new kind of sounds.

I think we know what e.g means user

You're more than one person?
pro tip: It doesn't mean "for example".

What exactly is there to hope in Asia?

Yes the hivemind knows user we don't need to be spoonfed

Nah, Mike Oldfield is reviving rock as we speak.

I like hip-hop but this news is just fucking sad.

not him but when I was in Japan, I was thoroughly surprised about the music you hear there everywhere, like radio, TV or even stores. Their mainstream pop seems a lot more variated than in any other country I've been to.
In comparison, when I went to Korea, all the radio music sounded like american pop but in another language but musically no difference.

Hip-hop and rap are nothing more than aggressive and yet monotone lyrics, set to simplistic beats and melodies. They take very little skill or hard work to create and are subsequently enjoyed by those with no appreciation of skill or hard work.

Also, hip-hop and rap tend to be something of a catalyst* for violent acts committed by these unintelligent, uninspired, unskilled and lazy people (mostly men). Ironically, were one to resort to violence in an attempt to remove said-problem (I can think of a few who'd be first to go), this would negate the argument, entirely. So, the rest of us just put up with hip-hop, rap and their followers.

There are so many wondrous things we've learned we can do with our voices, in unison, with other hard-working people who've been practicing until their fingers bleed, and there are STILL those who listen to people talking over a generic melody and beat? Don't you KNOW this?

*The most humorous thing about this post is, an overwhelming majority of those that DO defend hip-hop and rap, would have to head to Google or a dictionary to know what the word, "catalyst" means.

>tl;dr: rap and hip-hop are crap.

Say that to Varg's face while he's doing those intimidating fighting acrobatics in front of you.

Nice copypasta.

>So, enjoy the last decade of hip hop, I guess.
do you unironically believe this ahahahahaha
rock is on its last leg my guy, coming from someone whose list of perfect albums contains only records in that genre. it's on the decline, and in 10 or so years i'm thinking it will hold the same relevancy jazz has now. hip hop on the other hand, i bet will explode progressively, kinda like how jazz did in the late 50s and 60s.

It's not really surprising. Hip-hop is clearly Superior to every other genre.

Sans classical. Although depends whether you value the music or the lyrics more I guess.

Im just tired that lyrics heavy but instrumentally simple music won in the end, if say funk had won i would have been excited

>i bet will explode progressively
It already did in the 90s and 00s, now hip hop is on its last leg.
Who knows what new meme genres will future humans make up 20, 30 years from now.

Song of the year, boys. Hip-hop finally got the respect it deserves.

/thread
hip hop is a joke.
If it was ever good, it clearly isn't anymore.

>It already did in the 90s and 00s, now hip hop is on its last leg.
that's not true at all my guy. hip hop has barely inched past its very beginnings. the furthest hip hop has progressed is the clouddead s/t and there's still a ton of room for expansion and new ideas.

I'm not your guy.
>hip hop has barely inched past its very beginnings.
Get a load of this delusional kid.

by 2020 rap will be 40 years old

why do rap faggots act like rap was invtend 5 years ago?

Because the internet, especially Sup Forums, is filled with people who were born in the 2000s.

Hip-hop died when Kanye released "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy".

wait scratch that

it will actually be 50 years old

rap started in the 70's but lets count it from the 80's to 2020

that would be 50 years.

Rap is half a centruety years old.

But rap faggots act like it was invented yesterday

>Get a load of this delusional kid.
what do you consider progressive pieces of hip hop? aside from select releases, mainly from guys like anticon most of the hip hop records that are well received by pretty much everyone only progress in small, accessible doses.

Rap mainly appeals to kids and pubers.
Kids don't tend to care a lot about the past.

>lets count it from the 80s to 2020
>50 years

ur dum

Then what about all those 12 year old in youtube comment section born in le wrong generation?

By 2020 rap will be 50 years old. But it acts like its some new thing.

Its fucking disgusting reading this thread with like one guy shitposting about how rock is old and therfore bad.

fuck off you cunt
rap is old

>Hip-Hop Becomes Most Popular Genre In Music For First Time In U.S. History
Well, not that it has much competition.

However, most of you don't seem to understand what the headliner is really saying. It's not saying that HH is more popular than ever, it's just saying right now it's the most popular genre in US (because most other genres are dead/irrelevant, not because HH is at the peak of its popularity, that was the 90s)

>an entire generation of future musicians will now grow up seeing rock as corny dad music
not sure how to feel about this. electronic >>>> rock anyway

That's happening right now though.
Future musicians will see electronic music as corny dad music, and probably will see rock as some very old classic thing, like how we see jazz now. Rock will be respected (although not really understood) by future generations. Electronic music will not.

>electronic >>>> rock anyway

It's not an either/or. Rock has been electronic music elements for 50ish years and counting. And rock music with electronic elements is often a lot more interesting and ambitious than Bedroom DJ's #5950089 latest mockery of IDM.

Electronic music went corny with Brostep and never looked back.

>Rock has been electronic music elements

*Rock has been using electronic music elements

electronic music is older than rock music.

you can find electronic music from the fucking 50's if you look hard enough.

The peak of electronic music was the 90's quality wise. Then the americans took it and shat on it and created brostep and just ruined it.

Boggles my mind. What's the appeal of this genre and why is it celebrated as "innovative" and "fresh" when all the modern mumble rap and lil whatever stars are retreading the same tired tropes of 20 plus years ago (aggressive beat, lyrical content about guns, drugs, money, hoes)?

The production? Lol. 808 centric, 4/4 shit. Oh, but they're adding distortion, synth lines and strings now! So innovative!

DAS RITE

>Then the americans took it

We pioneered it (Cage, Moog, Theremin [invented in US]. And then pioneered the rave scene with Detroit Techno and the like. Yeah, Europe did bring it in the 90's, but you also first shat on it with all the clubby Ibiza Deep House-lite shit for the which then "evolved" into Big Room (a huge pox).

You're not without sin.

Brostep was a short lived 2007-09 trend. What has mercilessly taken over the scene is that Dutch EDM scene with the corny big bass drops and fist pumping "DJs" who do nothing but press play on their laptops.

Detroit techno and house music were influenced a lot by Kraftwerk (Germany) and YMO (Japan)

modern electronic dance music starts in Germany

Literally all of modern electronic dance pop descends from the whitest most robotic German fuckers on the planet

Techno takes its influence from that.

Americans werent interested in dance or house music after disco died to Europeans took it over and perfected it

then somewhere around the early 2010's electronic music was repackaged, re branded as "EDM" and sold to morons and dude bros who wanted a LED DROP XD and corporations started spouting things about how EDM could be very important to your brand to reach a millennial audience

youtube.com/watch?v=VXa9tXcMhXQ

They were also influenced by funk. End of the day, Kraftwerk and Yellow Magic didn't "create" the underground electronic dance music scene as we think of it today.

>then somewhere around the early 2010's electronic music was repackaged, re branded as "EDM" and sold to morons and dude bros who wanted a LED DROP XD

Not an American fault. Europe was trending that way for years with the Ibiza scene that catered to the Paris Hiltons of the world with their frivolous Trance-lite and House-lite. Then the Dutch scene hit and it was over.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraftwerk

>Kraftwerk have exerted a lasting and profound influence across many genres of modern music, including synthpop, techno, post-punk, ambient, hip hop, and club music, and inspired a wide and diverse range of artists. According to The Observer, "no other band since the Beatles has given so much to pop culture.In 2014, the Recording Academy honored Kraftwerk with a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award. As of 2016, the remaining members of the band continue to tour.

>According to music journalist Neil McCormick, Kraftwerk might be "the most influential group in pop history".[62] NME wrote: "'The Beatles and Kraftwerk' may not have the ring of 'the Beatles and the Stones', but nonetheless, these are the two most important bands in music history".[5] AllMusic wrote that their music "resonates in virtually every new development to impact the contemporary pop scene of the late 20th century".[37] The Stranger called them "electronic music's Beatles and Velvet Underground: They both popularized it and inspired thousands of people to create their own unconventional sounds with synths and computers."[48]

>Kraftwerk and Yellow Magic didn't "create" the underground electronic dance music scene as we think of it today.
I didn't say YMO created anything (although they were one of the pioneers mixing popular music with electronic sounds and achieving success, like Kraftwerk). But those 2 bands greatly influenced USA's dance music producers though. Not that people danced to We Are The Robots or Computer Games on the clubs, but many of the most important producers of Techno and House were influenced by their music.
And anyway, who isn't familiar with Kraftwerk? YMO might be less known but anyone who was into electronic music in the 80s, anywhere in the planet, know about them. In 2000 Love Parade, Takkyu Ishino spinned Rydeen (original edition, not even a remix) in the middle of his acid techno set, and people went nuts.

>Kraftwerk's musical style and image can be heard and seen in 1980s synthpop groups such as Gary Numan, Ultravox, John Foxx, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Human League, Depeche Mode, Visage, and Soft Cell.[3][5][6] Kraftwerk would also go on to influence other forms of music such as hip hop, house, and drum and bass, and they are also regarded as pioneers of the electro genre.[63] Most notably, "Trans Europe Express" and "Numbers" were interpolated into "Planet Rock" by Afrika Bambaataa & the Soul Sonic Force, one of the earliest hip-hop/electro hits. Kraftwerk helped ignite the New York electro-movement.[11] Techno was created by three musicians from Detroit, often referred to as the 'Belleville three' (Juan Atkins, Kevin Saunderson & Derrick May), who fused the repetitive melodies of Kraftwerk with funk rhythms.[64] The Belleville three were heavily influenced by Kraftwerk and their sounds because Kraftwerk's sounds appealed to the middle-class blacks residing in Detroit at this time

I'm not denying those respective bands influence, friends. But influence doesn't necessarily mean "popularization/creation." If we play the game of citing and then crediting influencers, then we wind up back to the first caveman who pounded a rock to make a "beat."

Chicago House and Detroit Techno are pretty much agreed upon as the two styles of electronic music that birthed the modern rave/club scene.

Modern club music ("EDM") has little in common with 80s techno and house in terms of sound production and actual style.

you really dont want it to be true with overwhelming evidence.

It must hurt the libtards soul that electronic dance music was invented by the stiffest white guys on the planet and not every music genre was invented by niggers

When the music industry became controlled by Jews.

lmao oh, so that's where all this is stemming from. again with the whitey insecurity

I think popular music and hip hop are also on the decline, the OP is just a faggot that hid that fact that all of them are on the decline.

Electronic music is still the future.

Because music industry pays people to shill their garbage here.

what insecurity?

You are the one who keeps ignoring reality that pretty much all of electronic music descends from kraftwerk

The music industry is dying period. Hip Hop is slower in the decline because stupid black people don't know how to pirate it.
Oh and the lil peep meme (the final nail in the coffin 2bh).

No genre existing today will be the future. The future of music has yet to be discovered.

There's no way people won't understand rock music. Jazz music isn't appreciated by a lot of people because it's more challenging than rock music. People still listen to piano ballads even though they have existed for eternity

You 2 are fucking retarded.

>Modern club music ("EDM") has little in common with 80s techno and house in terms of sound production and actual style.

True. I'm talking more about the warehouse party scene that was big in the States and Europe (are they even a thing anymore?) in the 90's (guess I still consider that a part of the modern dance music era. Time flies), a decade where Europe (especially the UK) dominated the scene and was arguably the peak of electronic dance music creatively speaking. I do think that particular scene owed a lot of to Chicago House and Detroit Techno.

But yeah, the modern scene is a caricature of every bad clubbing cliche you can think of.

>Electronic music is still the future.

Not really. Its novelty of "the limitless sounds you can create (not true, btw)" has worn off, and like other genres, it has settled into its defined language and predictability. I don't say that as a bad thing. Now the hard work begins in expressing yourself through those elements. What I mean by that is that artists can't get away simply though novelty.

I don't think it's the future because it sounds like shit. I like a warm synth, but tonally, electronic "instruments" are awful. A drum kick from a real drum is a lot more visceral and sonically interesting (with the harmonic overtones, reflections created by the space) than a drum machine kick. Yeah, you can sample a real drum, but then it's really no longer "pure" electronic music. Same token, an upright bass sounds better than an electric bass. When a sound needs a transducer (speaker), it suffers acoustically.

Who gives a fuck? So Hip-Hop is finally recognised as the pleb genre number 1. That's great, just another reason not to listen to niggers that speaks about women, money, cars and jewelry over stolen beats, made by people far more talented than themselves.

During its most stagnant years too. Sad.

Same time I realized most people are really dumb.
>AW SHEEIIIT HIP HOP DA BIG NUMBA ONE YO! WE DA BIG WINNER IN THE CONTEST FOR WORLD'S SHITTIEST PLEB GENRE! SO COOL!

>that speaks about women, money, cars and jewelry

They also speak about drugs, guns, and gangbanging!

Madddd grampa?

No. If you weren't an Illiterate nigger you would've understood that from what I wrote.
True. That's why the degenerate music industry and reviewers jews are pushing it so hard.

They also speak about how they're good at rapping. And the best at rapping. Usually within the first 30 seconds of every track. Very good genre.

>rap becomes le genre of le future
>rock becomes the underground scene
>underground genre becomes the cooler genre
based

seconded lmao

Death grips should’ve been the future of hip hop. Now they’re just a meme

grime is the only relevant thing today

Don't mind hip hop but the culture of it is fucking obnoxious.

>stupid fat mutt country has shittiest taste in music in the entire world
More news at 10

Man, the record industry always surpasses itself with each big genre/style push, on account of more people buying, more money on marketing, better marketing methods, better ways to get the marketing out there through media etc.. It's just a shame that rap of all things would be the next thing to fall victim to it. All of these new young industry-backed rappers are fucking pathetic.

Rap may have started in the 70's and remained here ever since, but it wasn't until around '00 that it successfully became mainstream, so as far as the wide audience is concerned that's where it started, and 18 years isn't that long.