/gg/ - Guitar and Bass General

The Shape of Things to Strum Edition

How do I start learning guitar?
>justinguitar.com
Suggested Practice Routine:
>i.imgur.com/yfgsTaq.png (embed) (embed)
Guitar chords and inversions
>chordbook.com/guitar-chords/
String tension calculator (D'Addario-based):
>stringtensionpro.com/
Music theory:
>musictheory.net/lessons
Hal Leonard's Bass Method:
>mediafire.com/file/sayviwqxfcxfjon/
Steve Vai's Ten Hour Workout
>mediafire.com/download/kzw6kjuocgicwks/Ten_Hour.pdf
Guthrie Govan's Creative Guitar 1 & 2
>mediafire.com/download/bn8803xzlrbds3b/Guitar1.rar
>mediafire.com/download/9uhtufuf3z9cx8m/Guitar2.rar
Advancing Guitarist - Mick Goodrick
>mediafire.com/download/cvfno10fv4lf4a8
Chord Chemistry - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/61n5op7eiifxztg
Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar
>mediafire.com/download/zq35xorj2iaqh22
Modern Chord Progressions: Jazz and Classical Voicings for Guitar - Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/oflu4wdwofhqqtb
Jazz Guitar: Single Note Soloing Vol. 1 & 2- Ted Greene
>mediafire.com/download/07o65qdh5in1nsq
>mediafire.com/download/jmu86f7dj8bdxcd

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2NHqRj_9QM8
vocaroo.com/i/s19P1p4H4pvY
issuu.com/ibanezgermany/docs/ibanez_catalog_2018
youtu.be/vONJn0Zt9xY
clyp.it/zjjjlnqa
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for double necks

OBLIGATORY GEAR POST

how do you deal with a creative bottleneck composing?

What strings do you gamers use?

Like i literally spent 3 hours straitgh trying to write a song and what i did was literally irl completely absolute shit

Watch videos on proper technique. Start here to see that you have some choice in the matter: youtu.be/2NHqRj_9QM8

Im planning on buying pic related next for both my deans and the .11s for muh strat.

also here u go vocaroo.com/i/s19P1p4H4pvY

I posted this in the last thread. i'd like to see if I can get any more opinions on the burstbucker 2 and 3s

I'm gonna buy an explorer.
the 2018 explorers have burstbuckers in them anyone have any experience with these pickups? how do they compare to the 500t/496r that is in the older models?
how do they compare to the active emg 85s that people usually put in explorers?

I have no experience swapping pickups or setting up a guitar so the pickup choice is important in a purchase

I keep forgetting you have that mr hankey bass. What a contrast to the fender.

current bored

I tried these (only in 0.10s) and found difference between regular daddario. They were shinier and they seemed to wear out a tiny bit slower. Not worth double the price imo.

it also plays like a hanky as well

I might change my degree from CS/Math to Music just so I can only play music all day. I only play guitar in my free time. Sometimes 5 hours a day. I wake up and start playing. It doesn't seem smart money wise but I'm so tempted. Everything seems like a distraction from guitar at this point.

I have a hardtail Vendetta and it's pretty nice.

Thanks user but i had a hard time hearinf the bass. My recording was shit tho from the beginning.
I would say if youre gonna get an explorer get one in whichever way it comes best for your liking.500t/496 are pretty hot with a warm tone. Idk about burstbuckers. But either or gibson makes good pickups. Maybe try putting in some suhr aldrich pickups. Pic related. They come recommened for mahogany guitars that need some extra something.

I also noticed they bend more/more elastic feeling. I liked them and im not a neet so 13 bucks isnt too bad.

Nice. What do you use the Pharaoh and Carcosa for? My new Pharaoh just replaced the Carcosa for me.

meh, at least tried to do a mix

I ask this as I post a photo that also has two fuzzes on it.

3/10 whether troll post or not.

I was thinking of maybe picking up a nicer hardtail vendetta because i need something for alternate tunings but im iffy because theres a huge difference between my dean vendetta 2.0 fr and my dean custom 550 fr.

Dont worry user were gonna make it big one day.
And are you on that sosa? Isnt it late for you in florida, or early? Fuck it party never stops.

yeah I'm gettin a bit sleepy but meh

the party shall fuckin continue even when I'm fucking sleepin

gn /gg/

I just bought a set for my 8 string (I know, I'm a manchild with shit taste). I figured I change the strings so little I might as well buy a premium set.

Don't buy a cheap 8 string btw, they're fucking shit.

Mine's a Vendetta 4.0. It's got a set neck and it's served me well for years.

Does it have the nice fat wide neck?

Gn bassfag

why do they look like a condom or a maxipad package

Dont tell me its an ibeenhad

Because its sex for your fingers and guitar fretboard. Wtf do you get your strings packaged like in brazil? Wrapped in banana leaf?

Probably not. It's never struck me as particularly large and I have manlet hands. The fretboard is 42mm wide at the nut and 50mm at the 12th fret. The neck is a C shape (I think).

Na, Schecturd.

Is there anything wrong with getting an expensive guitar if I’ve only been playing 8 months? I feel like at my skill level I don’t “deserve” to own something really expensive and quality

>only 8 strings

20 string mafia baby

Not really, get the nicest guitar you can and you'll want to play more.

But I can't play my angsty teen music on a pedal steel.

Mines a C as well. Who knows. I tbought schecter made decent stuff?

why do you tape the leds?

but you can play sweet country licks

you havent experienced life until you've received a sloppy beej in a legion bar bathroom

I think all major brands make good guitars and shit guitars. Just happens that mine's shit.

not him, but I assume they're blinding as fuck in a dimly-lit setting when he's trying to make adjustments

Actually i did it because its a secret homosexual call sign.

I played guitar for years, but I feel like I'm only good to play tabs. What can I do to improve creatively as a guitarist?

What's the six string with the Britflag belt?

Transcribe and learn stuff by ear. Doing a saxophone solo now. It fucking sucks.

That's a 5 string Schecter bass. Don't know the exact model.

Yeah I see that now dunno why I thought it was a six string, obviously the neck would be silly narrow for a six string which is why I asked

Comfy room, btw.

I can't buy an amplifier where I am. Is it worth to buy a guitar to play via the pc and headphones? I'm Btw

Torrent an amp plugin, get some cabinet impulses and use speakers instead of headphones.

Is that a crayon? Been looking to cop one of those, how are they?

Won't I destroy the speakers in the long run?

1000 bucks on craigslist nearby

do i mortgage my house for this one boys

learn scales and improvisation techniques, then you can flesh that stuff out into songs

also copy other creative people and change some stuff

Not unless your playing obnoxiously loud, in which case anything would destroy the speakers.

They're simply outputting a signal from your computer, which they'll handle fine at any reasonable volume. I say to use speakers because there's something about playing through headphones that makes your tone sound like absolute shit.

Why isn't anyone talking about the new Ibanez AZ guitars?
issuu.com/ibanezgermany/docs/ibanez_catalog_2018
Coolest thing they've released in a while. Stainless frets, exclusive SD pickups, exclusive Gotoh bridge, roasted maple neck, glowing side dots...

Also 550 Genesis is now available outside Japan. And there's an upright bass.

These are actually why I asked if anyone was excited for anything from NAMM. I really like the less riced out RG look. I just hope they still have the super wizard neck instead of something more vintage because I have manlet hands.

Tim from Polyphia has a pink one that I want.

>issuu.com/ibanezgermany/docs/ibanez_catalog_2018

If that's the complete 2018 catalogue I'm kinda disappointed. The AZ models are cool but there's not really anything else interesting.

Why are single coil pickups so based?

bom dia seus bostas

do you get your strings wrapped on taco dough? that explains your unability to play

"AZ Oval C" is what they call it, so there's no wizardry here. I suspect that it's still a lot slimmer than the average Strat neck, because that's what Ibanez is known for and naturally they want to appeal to technical players. The neck joint is also upgraded to an even more sculpted one.

There isn't a pink one. That's probably a prototype or his personal signature guitar. Martin Miller got a production model this year and it's pretty awesome looking. It's deeper in the catalog.

Apart from these I want to see low wattage tube amps and hopefully some UK-made Laney amps. New Flaxwood guitars would be great but that's probably too much to ask.

Designing a whole new guitar model with a lot of new technology eats up a lot of resources. Next year we'll get something else and sometimes Ibanez releases a couple of new models in Summer NAMM. There's a new Tube Screamer too though:
youtu.be/vONJn0Zt9xY

It's still possible that this is only the EU catalog, because it was posted by Ibanez Germany. We don't get all the models over here. US catalog usually has more stuff and Japanese catalog the most.

I know they release some new guitars every month but I don't want to wait all year for a guitar I like to come out. There's no HSH one either, which is kind of annoying too.

I might see what Strandberg come out with for all my handlet needs.

theyre not

There's some kind of voicing switch that essentially turns the 5-way switch into a 10-way switch. For me that's a nice addition, because I hate middle pickups. I'll have to wait for more details but so far this looks pretty good. Different color options would be nice. The 22 fret models have much nicer colors but I want 24 frets.

/gg/ GIVE ME YOUR DREAM GUITAR

a 1950's Gibson ES 5 with the 3 p90s like tbone walker
and a 60's martin 000-18

Ruokangas Aeon or Hellcat.

24 frets, 7 string, fanned frets, a trem that stays in fucking tune, locking tuners, capability for single coil and humbucking tones, thin body, manlet friendly neck, double cutaway shape with a pale pink flamed maple top, maple neck with no inlays on the front and luminlays on the side.

I know how you feel. been playing for 4 years, still cant write anything. fuck i wanna die

I've got a bunch of song segments I really like but I couldn't expand them into a full song to save my fucking life.

you gotta be at least 18 to post here, son

You're still allowed to have shit taste after you turn 18.

haha, It's like.. you're me? desu I feel like more instruments would help to transition into different melodies and stuff. Its hard to write a full length decent sounding song solely on a guitar, in my experience.

They look ugly as fuck to me. Would be nice with lighter maple and the regular headstock shape

Not a fan of the roastie maple either. The black inlays make it even worse.

i have a "riffs n stuff" folder with like 40 clips on it and i cant come up with ideas for the rest of the song, my brain is just dead

I've got one too. It contains nothing of value.

Can't please everyone. They had a series called RGV a few years ago but they were barely noticed. I'd like to have lighter maple as well but for me the benefits of roasting outweigh the cosmetic drawbacks.

Agreed on the plastics. For one it's infuriating that Ibanez usually uses different color of plastic for different parts. White pickups and binding with a black truss rod cover and inlays or black inlays with cream binding. They never use matching colors. And they also don't know which colors work together. Those new blue guitars should have at least white plastics. Even better would be body-colored plastics like in RG770DX.

>the benefits of roasting outweigh the cosmetic drawbacks

Usually I get roasted because of my cosmetic drawbacks.

Guild Sevenstar 7-string
one of few 7-strings that don't look like modern 'hi-tech' djent bollocks

Yeah, it somehow manages to look even more retarded.

Is it too late to learn guitar in order to join a band at 24 years old?

It's never too late.

Depends on what kind of band and what you want to play.

technical metalcore

That's fairly diverse age-wise. You'll be fine if you git gud quick.

Punk and grunge, maybe metal.

i'm thinking of joining a band as a singer and lead player what does /gg/ think
i never even sang backing on the bands i was in

Can you sing?

too old for that try metal technicalcore instead

Some other dude replied for me, lol. But I'll look into metalcore as well.

two months of practicing is enough for that shit. Just buy 008 to 038 strings, a compressor, an overdrive, a distortion, a delay, a chorus, and a reverb. At the end of the day you are not really playing guitar, but effects.

most of the time, i find the barrier to learning new things when youre an adult is time commitment

kids and teens just have a lot more free time and are more willing to stick with stuff theyre bad at (because theyre bad at almost everything)

if you put the time in, theres no reason you cant be as good as you want

more or less. does that matter?
clyp.it/zjjjlnqa

True, but it would be bad to start looking for bands and only find teenagers.

mongocore

for you