twitter.com/AnonBabble

*blocks your path*

uhhhh

you are a damned fool if you think this is math rock

But you think any KC album is?

uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
youtube.com/watch?v=r6mzoso95-Q

Math-rock is just prog for teens.

Math Rock listeners are you actually counting out the time signatures while you listen to the music? It usually takes me 3-4 listens to even notice the song isn't in 4/4 but that might be because I'm not focusing on time signatures that deeply

have you heard remain in light...?

yeah, neither is kc.
inventing the roots of a genre by doing some specific things that define a genre later on doesnt equal playing in the genre.
and yeah, tmr does some of the things math rock inherited

honestly who gives a shit about time signatures. people who count out time signatures while listening are pretentious tools.

I hate the name 'math-rock'. "Hey look, we're smart! We make rock music that has unorthodox rhythms and time sigs", who care, don't have that be your shtick, just have it be something you incorporate in your music.

more proof that people who dont recognize time signatures in the songs they listen to shouldnt be allowed to post on this site

Exactly.
I like 7/4 *cough Venetian Snares cough* because it has an interesting groove, but fuck everything else, fuck that 11/4 shit.

I am not OP and i don't think KC invented math rock

this isn't math rock you dumb bitch

Nobody invented math-rock, it just cropped up here and there in different rock albums and progressed to become a shtick in certain artists

the last groove sounds exactly like what polvo or US maple was doing like 25-30 years later. you're a retard if you think that the focus on unnatural sounding time-sig shifts like the one found in veteran's day poppy (which is very common in trout mask replica, given the way it was composed that makes sense) were not a massive influence on guys like don caballero or DLJ
unless you're into gay nu-math rock that's all about open tunings and boring twinkly guitar riffs i guess

this

so all of a sudden """unnatural""" key and tempo changes are exclusive to math rock?

no, of course not, but with the frequency at which they occur in trout mask replica and with the general writing of the guitar/drum/bass pieces on the record and how they interact with one another, it's very apparent that trout mask replica was one of, if not the biggest influence on some of the founding fathers of the math rock genre

It's not bad for a Talking Heads ripoff.

It's an issue of the post-hardcore scene. In reality, it gave birth to a second wave of prog and now perhaps a truly American one if the first was overwhelmingly British when it came to actually being "progressive" musically speaking. But the hardcore scene does not like being called prog, so therein came the name of math rock.

if you don't notice time signature changes its either because you're barely listening or the band covers it extremely well - king crimson is really good at doing that.
well you don't have to care about them - but if someones doing interesting things with them its hard not to notice
vital transformation by mahavishnu orchestra sounds really odd on the first listen because it's in 9/8 or something - but it forces you to listen to how billy cobham is creating rhythms within such a weird time signature.

personally if its a weird song i count it out for the first minute maybe of a song because it lets me figure out the rhythm better

andrew belew literally made remain in light sound like it did, the two albums shouldn't be considered rip offs because theyre so interconnected

*actually blocks your path*

this would be noise rock though

You say that but I bet you couldn't do a Roman numeral analysis of even a basic pop song

Fellas, is there any math pop?

That's my favorite album, but I don't think you know what math rock is.

that sounds like an amazing genre t b h

>not a classically trained musician
hey kiddo, endo your lifo

The original "math rock" bands never referred to themselves as math rock. Most of them don't even know the time signatures of their own songs. The name came from fans who noticed the odd time signatures. What is known as "math rock", was created with a disregard of meter, rather than a conscious attempt at playing in odd meter.
Tera Melos has a nice interview where they talk a little bit about math rock and why they eschew the term. I'll post it here if I can find it.

Talking Heads is not bad for a Fela Kuti ripoff.

I didn't realize how much the Heads ripped off Fela Kuti until I played RiL right after Zombie and how seamless it more or less sounded

*actually blocks everyone's path*

Found said interview. The part where they start talking about math rock starts around 7 minutes in.
houstonholocronpodcast.libsyn.com/dead-dialect-podcast-14-tera-melos

Literally only plebs have to count out the beats to know what time signature it is in. Patricians such as I just feel it and know

Yeah, I found only math rock + noise pop

>combine a genre that is inherently complex and interesting with a genre that is inherently simple and formulaic
no thanks

I'm laughing way too hard

imagine being this retarded

it took me a second
fuck u user

doesn't mean they invented math rock just because their music shares some of the same elements of the genre.

what a hearty kek

>intellectually threatened by the word math

why is it called "math rock"?

Remain in Light doesn't even feature polymeters, at least not to my knowledge, whereas on Discipline it's an integral part to at least three of the tracks

good post

agreed

I know literally nothing about Ed Sheeran. Someone fill me in to this joke.

I think it's because his album names are all mathematical operations

tricot, honestly.

*invents metal alongside Sabbath*

4 years too late buddy

no it doesnt, neither does kc. no genre was born in a night, but tmr was a big influence on it.

that's only the second funniest thing I've seen all day

*invents math rock*

try jazz-pop fusion

*Invents brap posting*