Why doesn't Sup Forums ever talk about jazz...

Why doesn't Sup Forums ever talk about jazz? I did a thread weeks back where people listed off albums in order of preference and jazz was usually last or second last. You can probably guess that the other bottom genre was: classical.

Is this a board of brainlets?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zm5utwjH3Tc
youtube.com/watch?v=wLXpEt42W-8
youtube.com/watch?v=ctuG_wo1Zkk
youtube.com/watch?v=jvXywhJpOKs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes it is a board for brainlets.

Idk I've been trying to get into jazz and I like it but I only know the youtube rec core (ryo fukui, pat metheny, herbie hancock, plantasia, etc) stuff and entry level bands. It's great stuff but it's mainstream as hell.

No real image for jazz. It's seen as that thing for old people.

i was in europe for 5 months and didnt have time to give a shit about Sup Forums.

>I did a thread weeks back where people listed off genres in order of preference**
Oops that's a mean typo. Carry on

It's just not something most people are exposed to.

There were Jazz general threads popping up for a while but I haven't seen them as much lately. They usually got more activity on the weekends but would usually die after 100 or so replies and would at best get maybe 50 or so people responding. Shame too since there's so much to discuss when it comes to Jazz. There were always some great charts being posted on how to "into jazz" and what the essentials for every era were. I'll have to dig out my old laptop to find them though.

Jazz general thread? Listening to pic related right now. It's ok but not great IMO. Been going through Coltrane's discography and I think Giant Steps, Coltrane Jazz, Coltrane's Sound and Ole Coltrane are my favorites so far. Live at the Village Vanguard was cool but I think a bit beyond what I'm able to fully appreciate yet.

Jazz is for musically educated people with an open mind or mature, well off folks. Obviously 4 chan pretty much has none of the latter save the type of people who start threads like these in the first place.
Musically educated folks are also classicalfags who cant stand the polar opposite that jazz is.

I have to disagree. Classical and jazz are ubiquitous, just not in the ways people expect. Classical is often used as soundtracks to commercials, tv shows, movies and etc. Jazz the same. I guess they just aren't popular radio formats.

Right, but I think that being used in this way leads jazz/classical to being thought of as "background music." It doesn't help that fans tend to be pompous asses about it.

>Jazz used in other media

>smooth jazz in commercials and news stations or free jazz in wacky american cartoons

>im sure this exposure does more harm to jazz than helps it

Both are good points. I think that to most people though, all music is background music to some extent. Not many people are listening to music alone in a dark room.

True. Classical is literally background music to me.

if its a jazz general then im listening to Coltrane, Live in Japan 1966 bootlegs. also, its dumb to try and think about why people on Sup Forums dont talk about jazz, and who gives a shit really? this board is barely ever used for serious music discussion of any genre, very few people will actually discuss music to the point where you can acutally learn something from the discourse. ironically enough the one place this did happen was in the jazz generals from this past year or so but it was pretty rare that they ever got to that point anyway.

Instrumental music (I know not all classical/jazz is) takes on a whole different level of background to most people.

I've been listening to Return to Forever a lot (I know, fusion), but also lots of Art Blakey, and the Modern Jazz Quartet. And also Jean-Luc Fillon's Oboreades. I've always had a soft spot for both the oboe and the accordion, so hearing that album was just absolutely fantastic personally.

Peons only appreciate jazz once a 2-4 bar measure is stolen for use in a hip-hop song.

A real shame since some of the most intense music ever made is also instrumental

I think that does hinders it heavily, to the point of people associating instrumentals as just a backdrop for the vocals.

Personally im in a weird limbo where i cant enjoy most rock or electronic music that doesnt have strong funk or jazz elements yet crave the synths found in such rock and electronic music.

I think most people usually only listen to a few genres and what those will be is influenced by their environment. What you encounter by chance, what you inherit from your parents, etc. Jazz and classical are niche so naturally few people will happen upon them in a serious way.

Because you idiots always talk about the classics like Johnathan Coltrane and Miles per hour Davis, and can't let others coexist peacefully without calling them brainlets.

Stop listening to jazz. It's pretentious.

I'm starting to get into jazz also but I've liked Marvin "Hannibal" Peterson - The Angels of Atlanta and Wayne Short - Speak No Evil

>good taste

Im sorry but we probably listen to better non jazz music than that square.

This. I experienced the same issues when getting into Jazz. I kept thinking it sounded like background music that I would normally just ignore in a show or commercial. But you hear the same thing being done to Rock, Funk, Metal, Classical and basically any other type of music. I just listened to some classics and started to learn to appreciate the genre for what it really is and not the stereotypes/cliches that the media shits upon today. It would be like avoiding Rock music because it reminds you of that background Rock track in a beer commercial.

>Is this a board of brainlets?
Just because you listen to jazz and classical music does not make one smart or intellectually superior. Toddlers listen to classical music to help them fall asleep; are they geniuses?

But to answer your question: yes.

Nice! I'm actually more familiar with Fusion than a lot of classic Jazz and Return to Forever is a classic. I've been meaning to listen to more Art Blakey though as I only have heard Moanin'. Never heard of Jean-Luc Fillon though so I will check that out as well, thanks for the heads up there.

Jazz and Classical music are often the only things to break me out of a brief bout of depression. I am picky about both, though. I like more classically-inspired cool jazz the most.

Also, mostly piano-based works. Teddy Wilson, Vince Guaraldi, Oscar Peterson, so many more.

I hate almost all modern jazz, unless they go back and do the classics. Somewhere around the time postmodernism took hold of academia and the art world jazz decided that the piano was too constricting, then we ended up with retarded shit that is not enjoyable to listen to.

Like you have ever heard of Idiot Pilot or Gospel. Faggot.

And no, generic Sup Forumscore, RYM-core, or P4K shit doesn't count.

Anyone else love jazz but fucking LOATHE free jazz/avante garde jazz? Fuck me. Avande garde a clue

>screamo
>good
see yourself out

you're right, some of my favourite albums are instrumental, people just don't give them a chance

The soviet avant jazz stuff aint too bad desu

Gospel is not particularly obscure to anyone who has any interest in post-hardcore and its ilk. Get over yourself you ass.

Rec?

I didn't just mention Gospel, though.

Mfw this isnt bait.

Even something simpler like city pop is far more compelling.

You used this word "or" though.

exactly, people only listen to jazz when jerome is singing about his ghetto blaster over a sample

You still haven't heard of Idiot Pilot, though.

t. Pseud

Jean-Luc Fillon is an oboe and cor anglais player, used to be in huge, important symphonies, took a liking to jazz and brought his niche rather than switch to sax. Great dude. Oboreades is a collab with Didier Ithursarry, a French accordionist, pretty unusual take on jazz, but absolutely lovely.
Bit of an offshot - other than the obvious Modern Jazz Quartet and Art Tatum recs, what're your thoughts on gypsy jazz?

Congrats dude, you're winning music.

I don't want to win anything. I just want idiots to realize that there's a reason why jazz isn't discussed as much.

Im quite new to it but
Tomasz Stanko
Andrezej Komeda
Jiri Stivin
Zbigniew Amyslowski
Ganelin Trio
Sergey Kurokin
Are just a few names of their rather behind the times avant jazz movements. Ive found the soviet stuff to be avant due to ecelctism rather than the disjointed excess of the free jazz most of us hate haha.

Jazz isn't discussed because some people haven't listened to Idiot Pilot? i'm really failing to grasp your point. Sounds like you're just waving your dick around.

it's just some retard trying to flaunt his shitty albums to get internet points

Haha city pop isnt even meant to be intelligent; but even average people must seem arrogantly intelligent to stupid folks.

is fusion allowed in here? if so, i'm listening to greg howe - introspection, it's great

also, you should listen to bossa nova, it's jazz with latin rythm

Tom Jobim is one of the best pianists of all time, honestly.

thanks brother

Be careful with Bossa Nova, though, you'll quickly get into elevator music territory.

This is good, though.
youtube.com/watch?v=Zm5utwjH3Tc

I'm saying there are much more worthwhile albums out there that haven't been nearly as mentioned enough on this board than stuff like Mingus and Coltrane.

I just think those instrumental albums would benefit if they had vocals. I know how uneducated that statement might seem. But I truly believe that to some extent. It just seems more rare for an album to have vocals so it's something I value more.

I think they need to be used smartly. Else it just gets boring.

thanks, man

fit vocals into this

youtube.com/watch?v=wLXpEt42W-8

Actually most based thread on Sup Forums right now

seems really easy? What's the issue? It's not even fast-paced. Doesn't even have that many instruments to begin with. Why wouldn't vocals fit? I'm not disliking the song or anything. I just think vocals could fit easily. Just like they could fit in any other instrument if they truly wanted to.

I have a bunch of vinyl of Chet Baker and Miles Davis, Herbie ect.
My favorite "style" of jazz is the mellowed out trumpet sound pionered by Miles Davis and Chet Baker. Its not cheesy romantic old shit
its just mellow chill sad sounding perfect for nodding off on after a dose of Black.

youtube.com/watch?v=ctuG_wo1Zkk

Chet Baker had a crazy fucking life, also this song almost scares me.

youtube.com/watch?v=jvXywhJpOKs

i was just talking about live in japan to this chick . . .

>Nirvana
Look who is talking fucking newfags with their edgy songs go hear some Danzig if you want a sharper knife for that edge