/daily/ - "the holidays are over" edition

It's 2018.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>listenalong schedules, OP pics, etc.
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/list/StaySkeptic/post-hardcore-and-alternative-hardcore-worth-listening-to-307-albums-3-songs_16-non-p-hc/
rateyourmusic.com/list/dylstew2/crack-rock-steady-bands-43-entries/
rateyourmusic.com/list/dylstew2/relatively-unique-punk-updated-6_3_2017-132-entries/
wherethelightdies.bandcamp.com/track/you-will-never-see-the-face-ov-god
tinymixtapes.com/news/alvin-lucier-release-new-lp-black-truffle-featuring-oren-ambarchi-and-sunn-o-guitarist-tephen-o
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/olavi-louhivuori/immediate-music/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dialect/loose-blooms/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ian-william-craig/durbe/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/-nyz/fld-rcdr/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why did you post this?

new year new (old) name

>write songs
>do another musical/stage show, just act more in general
>write a screenplay
>keep with the vegetarianism but stop eating fries with every meal
>keep with the not drinking/smoking/etc
>get fit/stop snacking/bring my bike to school
>read more
>watch more films
>cut out mindless internet surfing

hello welcome!

ban daily posters

especially sdc

>work on movies
>go out more
>stop worrying about dying as much

>>only use internet as a tool (ie no mindless surfing)
holy shit this, and also
>every day listen to an album from my list or something i haven't heard
>read more
>read books i already own before buying new ones
>less soda
>try to write about music again and not be so self-critical

Ban /daily/ posters except Sdc. /daily/ becomes /monstergirls/. No futa, no traps.

>Watching this Alabama game tonight

Okay well I guess I'm gonna try some new music instead

nothing desu idc

Todd Rundgren - Something / Anything? (1972)
>pop rock, singer/songwriter

I say this about a lot of songs, but "I Saw the Light" really is a perfect pop song. I've heard it a solid three times in my whole life and it has been stuck in my head /all/ day, it's so great. The rest of the sprawling double album (my second in two days!) varies in quality, but Rundgren's unique voice in pop music always shines through. When Rundgren switches up his style, there are some pretty major fumbles, like the various attempts at glam rock or the absolutely bizarre, unnecessary "Intro", and there are some shining moments, like the fantasticly bizarre proto-zolo "Breathless". Even with all these style changes, it's obvious that Rundgren's talent lies in pure, unfiltered pop, and he's brilliant at it on this record.

3.0-

Steffen Basho Junghans - Waters in Azure (2002)
>american primitivism

The genre tag is rather misleading here. This owes way more to minimalism and even post-rock than american primitivism. The guitar techniques may be in the primitivist vein, but you can't stray this far away from the blues and really be considered primitivism. Junghans deserves quite a lot of credit here, his use of silence and space is really impressive, there's a sense of longing that he conveys without shoving his emotions in the listeners face. However, this does translate to a really dry, overly sparse listen. There's no activity here at all, really, it's sparse to a fault. The guitar playing might be great, but Junghens lets it shine so rarely, pushed to the wayside in favor of unmemorable minimalism.

2.0+

Playboi Carti - Playboi Carti (2017)
>trap rap, cloud rap, southern hip hop

I'm sick of rappers delivering nothing interesting and almost completely relying on the beat. There are certainly interesting trap rappers out there, or rappers that can make their tracks interesting beyond the beat. Uzi might not be that technically impressive on "XO Tour Llif3", but he's got a lot of emotion in his delivery; "Ultimate" may have a fantastic beat, but it would fail in the hands of anyone else besides Denzel Curry; "Codeine Crazy" and "Mask Off" just wouldn't work as well if handed to anyone else besides the lethargic Future. Here, I find myself wishing that every single song here was handed to a better, more interesting rapper. The beats are admittedly really solid, especially the opening two tracks, yet Carti is just such an uninteresting, disposable rapper. He actively makes the songs worse by being on them, he doesn't just snugly fit the beat and stay in the background, he just doesn't fit them at all, it's incredibly irritating. A better rapper on this would be really great, but Carti just can't stack up.

0.5+

I'm curious, what instruments does daily play?

Piano & voice primarily. I also play the guitar, and barely play harmonica.

I can also blast some phat beats on the didgeridoo, but it's hard to find time to practice because it is so fucking loud.

oh right @co this guy's p good
rateyourmusic.com/list/StaySkeptic/post-hardcore-and-alternative-hardcore-worth-listening-to-307-albums-3-songs_16-non-p-hc/
rateyourmusic.com/list/dylstew2/crack-rock-steady-bands-43-entries/
rateyourmusic.com/list/dylstew2/relatively-unique-punk-updated-6_3_2017-132-entries/

the drum machine

The drum

>stay alive
>quit smoking
>cut down on recreative drug use
>get mad swole
>read more books
>acquire gf
>write more music in one consistent style
basically the same as every year loaf

Guitar mostly, but I'm also decent on bass, drums, vocals and electronics

im gonna start posting in these threads in order to stay motivated listening to 2018 albums. every new year i try to keep up with new releases from the start but then things become too chaotic and i stop. yes i mostly listen to p4k- and fantano-core shit i guess. my ratings sometimes change over time so they are not that serious.

Hitting play on OM Electrique, here we go Merzbox.

>read more (holy shit I don't ever want to spend three years with a book unless it's fucking Ulysses or something)
>get back to gym and workout more, lose the fucking belly I grew on the last two years
>clean the backlog or at least half of it
>improve coding skills
>improve relationship with gf
>improve real life friendships I'm losing/lost on the last years

good luck

Classical piano has been my main thing, though I also play acoustic guitar, bass, vocals, many electronics, zither, accordion, mbira, and field recordings (if that's an instrument)

Nice! I agree about Milo, last album was so mediocre

fruity loops studio

wherethelightdies.bandcamp.com/track/you-will-never-see-the-face-ov-god

Idk if this is relevant but this is the first release of 2018 I have heard. It is black ambient

you will never hear the taste ov god

pimp your shrimp someplace else

Mostly guitar but I've been picking up more piano now that I'm back home for a little vacation

the shitpost machine

the skinflute

qt boys

If y'all havent heard this you gotta listen to it

thanks i have heard it

tfw you will never fingerpick as good as Mississippi John Hurt's first take of Candy Man Blues

>holy shit I don't ever want to spend three years with a book unless it's fucking Ulysses or something)
Did you read 1 word a day?

Acoustic guitar, sing, harmonica

everyone else should listen to it then so they can join our club

IJ's tortuous prose + graduating in CompSci + heavy depression on the first of those three years made me read it very slowly and huge pauses.

I doubt anyone onj /daily/ hasn't heard Space Museum but for whoever didn't: do it.

>Itoh Masyitoh
Remove the singing and you have some great ethnic tribal ambient tunes.

>VA - Beyond the Calico Wall
There were some tracks I don't really care about but also others that are truly gems. Rough sound most of the time with a heavy freak out vibe.
6.5+

>Mighty Baby - Mighty Baby
"I've been down so long" sounds a lot like the Dead and actually those tracks with a more upbeat tempo and stronger keyboards presence were the ones I enjoyed the most rather than its more "prog" side, even though the guitar playing is good I don't think the band was best suited to try that.
7-

shouts out to ethyboy, in general it was nice to hear some psych stuff, most of it varies within each other but at the end the vibes are there. now I know who to ask to when I need more nuggets

Right on, glad you dug some more than I was expecting

>play around in open G
>think I stumbled onto a nice blues progression
>remember that it sounds exactly like an anime meme but in a different key
>mfw

How many people on daily are in stem? I'm another compsci student but expected you all to be doing arts related careers.

A huge number actually, the only non-stem I know it's Hampus and even he was considering switching from Psychology to Engineering or some shit.

thanks for listening to my lowercase album lol

>IJ's tortuous prose
if by "tortuous" you mean perfect

Petition for Dogwander to make a rap album this year called Year of the Dawg

If people rate my album into top 3 best Tajik albums of all time on RYM I can do that.

Dunno why people would want to hear that but it probably wouldn't be that hard for me to organize.

most fields of psychology (cognitive/social/basically all non-clinical fields) are also considered STEM iirc

idk if hampus was planning on becoming a therapist, that'd be pretty meme

I'm double majoring in cybersecurity and theatre

drums and vox are my fav/what i'm best at
i play guitar but i'm not terribly good at it
i played viola in high school orchestra

Men.

Slay girl!

Cello
That's actually really interesting, absolutely everyone I know irl who listens to good music is also persuing an arts degree. I guess Sup Forums attracts a certain type of person huh

I figured theatre would be a great degree to go for if I want to get into social engineering

I'm going into education

>I doubt anyone onj /daily/ hasn't heard Space Museum but for whoever didn't: do it.
2018 TRIPS GET ON IT

i am not stemfag

Skip the second disc of symphony of sirens, is practically just spoken word, well, only if you dislike spoken word, you know

Today i'm listening some foggycore because is a foggy and rainy day, slowcore and neofolk are the principal these days

Now i'm playing trust of Low, i want to find a superb foggy album today but it seems everything is sounding okay-ish to me

Oh and yesterday i rated the second Bark Psychosis album, i rated it higher than Hex because i got itt instantly with Hex it took me some months and i think i enjoy it more than Hex but well.

qt :{}

Anyone else joining the Duncan Jones book club? Seems like a comfy thing to do.

>He is best known for directing the science fiction film Moon (2009), for which he won the BAFTA Award for Outstanding Debut by a British Writer, Director or Producer, Source Code (2011), and Warcraft (2016).

Pretty sure he is best known for being David Bowie's kid

Even worse.

Somehow I knew exactly what your reply would be. You're becoming too predictable comrade.

Oh no, god forbid I become consistent, wouldn't that be awful.

Would be worse than Khrushev's red pill speech on the 20th Congress of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union

where the hell do i find more like this
I've dove deep into ferraro, matrix metals and all of the stuff surrounding but nothing quite hits the spot

Wth are you on about even.

Same question I can address to you bud

You posted about a book club. I like those. I looked it up. It turned out to be dumb. I posted about it. That's it, idk why you're so flustered all of a sudden.

I don't know alternative book clubs, so I'm glad with what I have. You know me, no time for anything but work.

Sucks to be you I guess.

bumbing with my reviews from someone who knows next to nothing about reviewing music, or music at all for that matter.

Not really. Life would suck if I didn't enjoy my job, but it's really pleasant.

Wow you managed to hold back the big nose face and the Jandek counting money edit. Almost impressed.

You already subconsciously envision it with my every single post, so there is no need ;^)

This is true.

tinymixtapes.com/news/alvin-lucier-release-new-lp-black-truffle-featuring-oren-ambarchi-and-sunn-o-guitarist-tephen-o

Looks Fun0)))))

>Mercury Rev - Boces - 4.0
The boob album! This was just awesome, simply loved this album. Seldom repetitive, soft vocals, scratchy guitar, and lots of out there percussion and flute elements, I enjoyed every bit of this album and those 53 minutes flew by. A great example of what noise-pop should be, with some rigid edges. I hope to venture more into Mercury Rev to see what they have to offer, but for now I am content with Boces being the best thing I've heard all week.

>Owen Pallett - Heartland - 3.5
Thanks Lamb for pushing me to listen to this! Like the more poetic brother of Jens Lekman, I can't find any part of this album that bores me or leaves me wanting more. Beautiful violin, beautiful atmosphere, beautiful lyrics and story, just a well rounded baroque pop album all together.

>Baby Grandmothers - Baby Grandmothers - 2.5.
Experimental jam-psych band that doesn't really accomplish much with their experiments. Loud, incredibly repetitive, and puts you right to sleep with an hour filled with semi-talented performers jamming into nothing-ness (which also happens to be something I enjoy). First song is amazing. rest is alright.

Stuff I don't have anything to say about:
Cloudkicker - Let Yourself be Huge 3.0
Blanck Mass - White Math / Polymorph 2.0

why do I like this image so much

mommy daddy please stop fighting
>Saint Vitus - Saint Vitus
Rec from /metal/. Pretty trad. Very good. Mastering's a bit weird, not a fan of that guitar tone but hey it beats LRD. but it makes me want to skate, which is a great sign. SICK RIFFS! HEAVY RIFFS! SAINT VITUS! Time to check out their next album like /metal/ told me to.
>Alphataurus - Alphataurus
I wanted to like this one more but it's alright. It's not at all offensive, and it's very well done, even pretty good, but it doesn't really excel your expectations of Prog too often. La Mente Vola is absolutely amazing, though. It does the thing where the bass gets too loud and it gets all crunchy and wonderful! Wish more bands would use that better, doing it with the low end or the vocals instead of just doing the entire thing noisy. Probably gets another point just because of how passionate these guys are, you can really tell they enjoyed making this. Maybe it'd help if I spoke Italian.
>Stiff Little Fingers - Inflammable Material
oh cool i love massive attack
GOOD album. Hits all the strides, high energy, strong lyrics, interesting riffs! Awesome! This shit has a 8 minute long track and it works! It's raw, it's agressive, but it's so well done and finely crafted. Sounds like punk from much later. No More Of That is by far the best song I've heard this year. Nice sonic variety throughout, no major faults, I'll be listening to this one a lot. Might even pick up a record.
Because you want to be let into our club!!! Heartland is great, I prefer In Conflict personally but Owen Pallett is just such a talent.

join tai Lopez book club

ooh excited to see your thoughts on Culprate, Jacques Perry, Venetian Snares and Gas, though his new ones more like his other releases from the Box. I also thought that blue one by Woman and the Anco was Zimmerkampf by Moev and I got super happy :

we ain't fighting, we always conversing.
Actually me and sdc should start some book club.
I had enough of that kind of books in college and I have enough of prepping books for CFA and ACCA as it is.

Urgh, too much whiskey boiz, good night!

who would win if you and sdc 1v1

yerself is steam is best mercury rev check it out

>Fushitsusha- Double Live I
I listen to LPs normally around 3 times before I have the guts to rate them, provided that I got something from the first listen. I did get something from this after first listen, namely a headache. Maybe I'll come back when I'm less of a pleb and more accepting of listening to this kind of stuff, for now 4/10
>Nicholas Collins- SARAH TELL US A STORY
Favourite thing I've listened to this year. It's fascinating how after listening to a reasonable amount of music I can still hear something quite unlike anything I've heard before and love it! Gives me hope that I'll not run out of album gems to listen to in my lifetime. 8+ and maybe more, thanks for the good rec /daily/ :)

Inb4 "*Nicolas"

*Nicolas

Great Stormy night opinion. I forget if I properly welcomed you to /daily/. If I have not, welcome aboard!

What is the most overlooked 2017 album?

Correct heartland opinion

Definitely this
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/olavi-louhivuori/immediate-music/
More that people have missed

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/dialect/loose-blooms/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ian-william-craig/durbe/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/-nyz/fld-rcdr/

Here’s how I’m starting my year. Honestly pretty damn pleased with how the near future looks.

What is this?

I’m gonna listen to all these classics(ish) this year. I’ve got a list of like 1500 (more in that when I’m at my laptop) and I’ve been listening to ~100 each year for like 7 or 8 years now

>Toiling Midgets - Son
Lost between post-punk and indie-rock it never finds the perfect blend resulting in a really average album for both styles.

>The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud - The Moon Lay Hidden Beneath a Cloud
It was after I finished listening to this album that I learned it was their debut but honestly it shows. Their sound is still waiting to be polished and leans more to a not very interesting dark ambient.
5+

>VA - Music of the Russian Middle East
The sad thing about this is how brief it is, a short document of music from different regions that might have a thing in common: the impressive vocal performance.
7-

no, seriously, what is this

I kinda want to see how long I can go with listening to music released in 2018, exclusively

>woopheadclrms - Meeting Room + Rare Plants
>sound collage, glitch
For me to enjoy albums of this ilk, they need to balance themselves. I'm not a huge fan of throwing an entire sonic palette at a wall and seeing the mess it leaves behind (Djwww, toiret status) nor am I a fan of the pure exploration of weird, off-kilter loops (Aaron Dilloway). More than anything I like hearing somewhat of a build-release structure. I think Revolutionary Pekinese Opera pulls this off impeccably for example. The moments of respite feel earned.

This album is far too unstructured and slow for my liking, but it is still an interesting listen to hear the disparate range of sounds used, from artificial to natural. Though I want more speed and energy to keep me engaged, this album is far from "unfun". It doesn't give a fuck purely judging by the amount of times it got away with using the "damn son, where'd you find this" sample.

>Sote - Sacred Horror in Design
>electroacoustic, Iranian folk
Though the interplay between electronics, the santour (hammered dulcimer), and the setar are incredibly interesting and work quite well together, the album's scope feels quite limited in terms of texture. The compositions are neat but meandering. This would have benefited from a tighter focus, but I still enjoyed my listens and I can see why this is a sleeper album on a few year end lists. The ten minute track "Plebeian" really grabbed me.

>Damien Dubrovnik - Great Many Arrows
>death industrial, chamber music
This really floored me on my first listen. This is not noise that comes from a place of outward aggression but inward emotion. I really felt like I was listening to some secret Xiu Xiu album based on the fantastic vocal performance. It pulls off that balancing act I mentioned in my earlier review. It hammers into you one moment then lulls you back with some beautiful strings, all while flowing together quite naturally. One of the better albums from 2017 for sure, glad to see it got some exposure.

same! english specifically.

The issues you outlined on Meeting Room make sense for something released just on bandcamp, though I don't usually find the lack of rewards in tasking albums to be hugely detrimental to my experience. Build-release is tried and true in music, but I've found listening to many experimental albums in succession makes it somewhat predictable.

The review for Sote and Damien Dubrovnik is spot-on, nicely put