Why are millennials so bad at making music? 2010s have been shit in regard to pop music. 2000s were pretty good, with...

why are millennials so bad at making music? 2010s have been shit in regard to pop music. 2000s were pretty good, with, say, the olivia tremor control and the microphones. what happened?

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/lil_xan/betrayed
youtube.com/watch?v=dQlxjSm0qU0
youtube.com/watch?v=xFhZSo0dbao
youtube.com/watch?v=t65NQg6iXDw
youtube.com/watch?v=Te28Ja31STw
youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3J6EZzk38
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>the microphones
>good

The problem is you only listen to Sup Forumscore and the charts haven't updated to include newer music

white males stopped being in the center of music

im a millennial and i make decent music. probably nothing you dads would like though

Do you consider genius soundcloud rappers born in the mid 90s like Lil Xan as millennial

You sound very enlightened. Do you perhaps regularly tune in to pitchfork and fantano?

the 2000's were irredeemable shit compared to this decade. The decade that brought us indie rock will never be topped in terms of awfulness.

yasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Yes you've caught me, literally the only two options for finding music are listening to one meme or listening to a collection of memers for recomendations

Tbh I've been listening to a lot of early 2010s pop and the songs are retarded but I kind of love it. They're just fun, bouncy tracks. I will agree that post-2015 pop has been dipping, though. There wasn't a single pop song in 2017 that I enjoyed.

2010s have had a lot of great albums, though, but since we're talking about pop hits, I'll honestly take 2010s over 2000s any day.

>2000's were pretty good

Please stop. It was known as the shit generation of music.
Most good albums out of the 2000's were from bands who were around before its time, and most good singles were just pretty generic pop music ala Britney or Timberlake or Backstreet or any of those pseudo-punk bands that happened. Rap was decent at that time though, that's when Kanye came out, and rap had a very clean and crisp sound to it.

>the olivia tremor control and the microphones
>pop
I think I’ve found your problem

Timbaland alone causes the 2000's to shit all over 2010's pop music.

kys
assume that's the case. i haven't lurked this board since 2011. you would guess that there would be something new in the charts now, and i suppose there isn't. why is this? why hasn't there been a new "Sup Forumscore" album in all these years
there are many white males pretty much in the center of music making horrible stuff like there's no tomorrow, pic related. i don't know if they make music anymore though i hope not
listened to soundcloud.com/lil_xan/betrayed and it sounds really generic
that's not fair
like every band becomes famous some years after they start making music

>genre tag pedantry
you are the worst type of person

>nu metal isn't good
t.

I wish I could put any of you who think this in a time capsule and send you back to 2004, where you would be forced to listen to Where is the Love by the Black Eyed Peas 3+ times a day, unless you splashed out hundreds of dollars for a good pair of speakers, an amp, a CD/Record player and any of the albums you want to listen to

I can sort of understand the deluded 80's and 90's nostalgia, but the 2000's were seriously a miserable fucking time .

>experiencing Sup Forums before it got swarmed by edgemasters, trolls, shitposters, normies and self-aware weebs
please do

>Justin Timberlake
>bad

you fucking take that back

If you’re comparing music it’s not pedantry. The Microphones are not even close to being pop and The Olivia Tremor Control have some elements of experimental pop. The way OP phrased it, he’s comparing indie and experimental music of the 2000s to pop of the 2010s. They’re obviously not on the same level, but if you were comparing mainstream pop of the 2000s to mainstream pop of the 2010s their quality is the same. You don’t look for the next The Glow Pt 2 in pop.

the microphones are representative of 00s pop music?

he's not exactly splitting hairs there

Aside from the last two nothing has changed.

I can sort of understand where Americans are coming from with their distaste for 00s mainstream music (implying US mainstream music hasn't always been shit), but in Europe these were pretty big hits. And honestly I would take them any day over the mainstream stuff that gets play nowadays.

youtube.com/watch?v=dQlxjSm0qU0
youtube.com/watch?v=xFhZSo0dbao
youtube.com/watch?v=t65NQg6iXDw
youtube.com/watch?v=Te28Ja31STw

first generation to grow up with the internet which makes it very hard for anyone to be original or for regional scenes to develop

As with any generation, you gotta look for good music. You're assuming the same cringy mindset as the "born in the le wrong generation"gang - you're blaming the culture of music to excuse your own laziness.

>you gotta look for good music
*make

Either/or.

I wonder what life was like before the internet. It would have had to have been so radically different.

People discovered new music by physical music mags, word of mouth, and record crate digging. Also MTV played music by Oval and Burzum.

People couldn't be meme'd into being a thing, either you were good or you weren't. You also had to prove yourself among your peers so artists were alot less bratty.

i didn't mean pop in the britney spears sense. i mean pop as in everything that isn't avant-garde, classical, jazz or folkloric music
i'm not talking about the experience of living in the 2000s (although i don't know what you're talking about there was kazaa and emule i had a bunch of anime music cds with me), i'm talking about the pop (or rock, indie, whatever you want to call it) music created in that decade

The Olivia Tremor Control and The Microphones are both pop, if we're really being pedantic.

I miss the crunchy pop music of the 00s for sure.

I don't feel like modern pop music makes me want to dance like it did a decade and a half ago. TayTay has done some good stuff with 1989, but, stuff like just doesn't happen anymore.

>how come the music landscape changes and people don't still make the same boring whiny folk-pop I can gently finger my asshole by the candlelight to

shit thread. its the same thing every fucking year.
>old thing was better than new thing
>new things are bad
>look at x its so bad
>back in the day y was so much better

it applies to everything, websites, communities, music, movies, memes, youtube, companies...

if you can't find good new music you're not looking hard enough or your taste stopped evolving when you were in your teens/early 20s and you only enjoy the things that make you nostalgic for a time where you weren't miserable.

This, they're probably just too new and stupid to the internet to look properly. Pity them, they'll come into their own asses one day.

>argumentum ad nauseam
kys braindead soybums

just because you're fine with mediocrity and too afraid to make a change does not mean everyone else should be.

>they'll come into their own asses one day
thats lewd, user

We're not 'fine with mediocrity', we're having a blast while you idiots fumble around in the dark.

The only thing mumbling is the memerap that constitutes your "evolved" and "up-to-date" taste.

>memerap
Hahahaha, lurk more, n00b.

he said fumbling, not mumbling, and soundcloud/meme rappers are shit.

here's a great album that came out this year
youtube.com/watch?v=Hh3J6EZzk38

t.

>and soundcloud/meme rappers are shit
Born in le wrong generashun unevolved hipster redditor (possibly racist, sexist and Trump supporter, too) detected.

what? are you feelin ok man

This is the first decade with meaningful, lauded artists topping the charts.
It is also up there as one the best decades in popular music.

Neck yourself.

t. p4k writer

YAAAAAAAAAS SLAY KANYE, BEYONCE, ED!

lol

The 10s have been so much better than the 00s IMO
The only good stuff out of the 00s came from artists who released their best works in the 90s

>The only good stuff out of the 00s came from artists who released their best works in the 90s
name them

youre mental gymnastics are making ME out of breath homie. i you want good recent stuff then check out yussef kamaal, strawberry girls, dungen, flying lotus, ichiko aoba and saib.

this thread born dead. Take care of yourselfl OP pls

Just cuz the fans are insufferable doesn't make the artist and the music any less quality.

But I do agree with what I think you are implying which is that the popular reaction is fucking stupid. However this is no different then the popular reactions of the past two pop artists. For example Michael Jackson being called literally the King of Pop.

has generation z even made anything yet? i mean this year people born in 2000 turn 18 so surely there should be some sort of music at this point. all i can think of is like lil pump bc he's 16/17, and maybe the lil mac demarco rip off scene, but thats all I can think of really.

>but thats all I can think of really.

just a bunch of shitty degenerate whigger rap, hopefully once that trend dies they'll start creating some good stuff