Star Trek Voyager

Does it ever get good?

I'm about halfway through the second season, and it's starting to feel like a chore. It's an especially huge letdown after how great TNG and DS9 were. Boring characters, recycled scripts, plot holes everywhere, and it's not even cozy.

>and it's not even cozy.
wtf?
That's the one thing Voyager has going for it.

And ir does have some great eps later down the line.(Barclay etc)

Nah. Just look at the ship design in your image. It's fat misshapen and stupid, just like Voyager and its fans.

>and its fans
Don't make it personal.

Gets really good for a couple of seasons when Seven of Nine comes on, slowly dwindles after that.

Do not talk shit about the intrepid class you fuck.

Stop now. It more or less stays the same the rest of the show.

Voyager is weak throughout. The standout strengths being the Doctor and Seven-of-Nine (both her bewbs and acting).

The idea of a Federation Starship cut off from the Federation is really great. It's an excellent premise to really test the altruistic nature of Starfleet when you have crew not able to run back to a Starbase for resupply between episodes. It ends up completely undermined by the writers generally ignoring the problems (and drama) of that kind of situation when convenient. It ends up trying to be a clone of TNG half the time and it's just terribly boring.

>our gelpaks have the flu!

literally wtf is this shit?

It works if you accept they just wanted to do TOS/TNG stories without having to be beholden to the constant shifting geopolitical thriller that is "Deep Mall 9."

Was the gelpack thing EVER a benefit? Or was it only used in plots as a way to gimp the ship?

Because I only ever remember it being a pain in the ass.

It doesn't work because they picked a series concept that begs for serializaton. If they wanted to remain episodic then they should have used a different premise for their series.

>hating the mallsoft to TNG's vaporwave

Please. Nobody was going to launch a network anchor series in 1995 that required mandatory viewing of each episode. Contrary to revisionist history, DS9, Babylon 5 and Stargate SG-1 were not runaway hits, but more episodic fair with mild connective themes (Xena, X-Files) were the darlings of the mid-90's.

Just because you counted torpedo launches doesn't mean it was important to do so.

No point in picking the "stranded" premise if they just wanted to do exploration bullshit. Also the pilot episode introduces an element of tension by forcing the Maquis into the crew. All of that shit was ignored for many of the episodes.

This was many doubly worse by having the sporadic episode where suddenly Janeway did want to get home as fast as possible rather than being a moralizing Star Trek captain. It ened up making her seem very bipolar.

Same deal with the Maquis element. Sometimes it mattered, sometimes they were treated like normal crew.

Overall frustrating compared to being it's own thing rather than a shitty TNG.

Then, like I said, they should have used a different premise for the series.

Even ignoring the idea that serialization is bad, your post still ignores the fact that a vast many of episodes involve the crew acting like the ship is fully stocked and on an exploration mission. They do leisurely diplomacy with alien races, explore random scientific curiosities, and generally act like are not in danger of running low on supplies.

The clean cut look throughout the series and the calm prozac popping characters were not fitting of the setting.

DS9 wasn't a runaway hit, but it did have consistently higher ratings than Voyager.

I could say the same thing about DS9 and the awful subplots regarding the Bajoran and the wormhole aliens/prophets, but I just shrug it off and enjoy it regardless.

Those all leveraged the premise of DS9.

Only after Worf joined and saved the series at the start of Season 4.

You, you can't say the same thing. Regardless of whether or not you enjoyed the execution, DS9 made a solid attempt to faithfully execute the full potential of its premise.

Voyager did not.

It gets good during S3.

A stable wormhole is the real hook of the series, it makes a fixed point in known space and allows it to also be a conduit to the unknown. Nobody watches DS9 and says "Boy, I sure do love Vedek Bareil."

If anything, DS9 and Voyager are perfect companion series. One stationary, the other journeying home, fighting Maquis as opposed to partnering with them.

It looks to me like Voyager's ratings fell to below DS9 during Voyager season 1 (DS9 season 3).

That's due to the failure of trying to launch a network as opposed to a widespread syndication package originated by the incredible TNG.

My original point was when Voyager launched, they could look to DS9 and TNG, and decided to be more like the latter.

That's an excuse for Voyager season 1.

There's no excuse for Voyager seasons 2-7.

Looks to me like Voyager had a more stable audience (Between 10-8 down to between 6-4) as opposed to DS9, which sank from 14 to just slightly above 4.

Advertisers can target stable audiences better than those that abandon a series.

I felt that way about DS9 and dropped it after Season 2 (I may try and pick it up again).

Voyager seems easier to get into and I'm still in the 1st season.

Different strokes, I guess.

Fuck, people hated DS9 so bad it hurt TNG's ratings.

Or there's the fact that TNG season 7 was garbage.

>Parallels
>The Pegasus
>Lower Decks
>Thine Own Self
>Preemptive Strike
>All Good Things
The only good episodes in season 7.

If you want to write a response to this post, please understand that "kino" episodes (AKA "so bad it's good" and "fuck you, I like it") episodes like "Masks" and "Emergence" and "Sub Rosa" are not welcome.

>Masks
>Emergence
>Sub Rosa
>not welcome

No, you're completely right. However early Season 7 came out strong with the second part of Descent, Gambit I and II, and The Pegasus.

Stupid, Angry Borg was not a strong start.

When it was on weekly, I remember being less picky about what I watched, because shit like Netflix didn't exist, and it was Voyager, sitcom repeats, MTV, ect.

I didn't fully appreciate Seven of Nines... acting... or what an... asset... she was to the show back then. I really should skip-watch the seasons up until she joins the crew, and then watch Star Trek; the Voyages of Seven of Booty.

nice blogpost faggot

Rude.

It has it's ups and downs but I felt some of the story arcs had abrupt or unsatisfying endings...

Not even me, thanks user.

A lovely day to you, too!

Yep. But I liked it because my roomate did and I got pulled in by his fanboyitis. Some great scenes, some really good episodes. But interspersed with filler and, like you said, recycled scripts, plot holes, and "chore". The great moments kept me coming back. It helped to be able to have people to quote it with.

Oh, right, I forgot about Voyager's quotability.
>Get the cheese to sickbay!
>There's coffee in that nebula!
>But I'm too young. Much too young. It usually happens between the ages of four and five. I'm not even two yet.

>Season 7 was garbage meme

You probably parrot the same meme about seasons 1-2, Masks was awesome whether you say so or not and you mentioned 6 other good episodes but also neglected to include Genesis with Spider-Barclay so your argument is pretty weak when examined.

You probably make up and believe in your own personal headcanons.

>Ensign Naomi Wildman
Oh, wait.

I posted her because she's sexy af you fucking autist.

Rude.

React normally, autist.

Your "Rude" responses are really cringeworthy.

I'm embarrassed for you.

Go on, post "Rude" again. Do it, autist. Post Rude. Autist.

Rude.

When I watched Voyager for the first time in late 2015 I loved it.

Sorry, guys, it really sucks at times, mainly because they wrote Janeway as a completely insane and unreal human being (such as the episode "Prey" where she puts the life of one Species 8472 over her entire crew over an intuition/hunch).

Which brings me to another subject, why are hunches treated so sacredly in Star Trek? You know, the gut feeling.

It's practically an ST trope that I've noticed is big in all series but DS9.

>It's practically an ST trope that I've noticed is big in all series but DS9

Sisko basically does this when he uses the wormhole aliens as a deus ex machina to wish the Jem'Hadar into the cornfield.

You and I both know that's false and that it gets much better when Seven comes on board.

She was one of 2, maybe three good characters in the show and probably saved the show from being a total failure when you add up her and Picardo's episodes.

Basically, OP, seasons 4-6 are it's best, which is somewhat similar to TNG and DS9.

Is that the episode where they teach her to reconnect with her humanity by learning to shit again?

Seven sucks and the whole Borg shit in that series in nonsense.

>Sisko basically does this when he uses the wormhole aliens as a deus ex machina to wish the Jem'Hadar into the cornfield.

Sisko had no options so he tried swinging for the fences. He knew that the Prophets could close the wormhole if they really wanted to, after all.

Actually, that was a hunch based in real shit (as in the Prophets guiding him through events in time without his knowing).

Same could be said of that Balhalla timeline where he breaks the stone tablet and the Kostamohjuhn fights the Prophet in Jake and Kira on the Promenade.

It's amazing what DS9 gets away with at times (as in, what the fans choose to forget). The Prophets allowed the writers to do just about anything with Sisko to get from A to C because B was always "muh prophets".

>Is that the episode where they teach her to reconnect with her humanity by learning to shit again?
Don't remember that one ;)
It's called "Infinite Regress" where she starts inhabiting multiple Borg assimilated species. She's a Ferengi in that pic.

Is that the only pic in your folder? You post it in every Trek thread regardless if it fits the comment or not.

>all those people who missed the dominion arc

Shame on them, that was good television. Just gotta skip the filler episodes.

but the filer episodes is where I learned that Slug-O-Cola is the Slimiest Cola in the Galaxy. It's made with over 40% REAL algae and will help keep your special someone's teeth that lovely shade of green.

it's more a show about the inner thoughts of an insane woman, someone who's highs and lows and coffee addiction pales in comparison to her wanton bloodlust and willingness to genocide her own species to save her own species.

truly neat character that Janeway

Barclay is the least cozy of all trek characters though. Stuttering and social ineptitude the the opposite of cozy.

Barclay's not inept, far from it. That's how he has been able to make it in Starfleet in spite of his sometimes crippling social anxiety issues.

The Morn episode was one of my favorites. DS9 had a good balance between silly side stories and the more serious overarching plot.

I went on a date with this girl one time who claimed online to be a "total star trek geek". As if. We're sitting in the sushi restaurant and I start quizzing her; she didn't even know who Alexander was and she was totally unaware of the notion that there were Data episodes, Troi episodes, Worf episodes. I told her how much I hated Worf episodes because Alexander was usually involved and he's a shitty character, and asked her whose episodes were her favorite, and she's like, damn I never even noticed there were episodes that focused predominantly on characterization for a specific character. I could see it in her eyes though when I was talking about it, she had clearly watched a couple episodes of TNG and then adorned herself with fake fandom to try and seem like more than a pair of tits and a couple holes.

If this isn't pasta it's weapons grade autism

Were there churches/temples/mosques/spiritual centers on starfleet ships or did you have to use the holodeck?

I havent watched much so show, so I know not much in detail. Could you explain why Seven was such a break out? What I've seen of her paints her as a kind of female autistic Data. I guess i havent watch Seven episodes, but when she isnt the focus that seems to be her characterization, so explanations would be nice

to be fair, most women would define "total star trek geek" as their having ever watch star trek

>liking part 2 of Year of Hell
Good ridance

They figured out that every Star Trek series has to have a non-human who is learning to be a human, as this made for some of the most popular plotlines in their respective shows. It involves a sort of childlike wonder at the fundamentals of the human experience.

TNG had Data
DS9 had Odo

With Voyager they tried it initially with Kes who was literally a child learning about humanity for the first time, but it didn't work out-- her shit was way too abstract, she wasn't a good actor, and they couldn't figure out how to write for it.

7of9 was their second attempt at introducing this archetype but this time the character was better and it was a fine piece of tits and ass, which worked well because Voyager was also missing its glamorous sex symbol role. (TNG had Troi, DS9 had Dax)

She got a great butt too

what? No. The Doctor was the equivalent of Spock/Data/Odo Kes and later Seven were just the fan service eye candy like Uhura or Troi or Morn.

stop letting the star trek general die and we can talk about something other than Voyager

Nah the Doctor was the irascible outsider along the lines of Worf and Quark. Like those characters he didn't interface well with the rest of the vew but gradually softened and became part of the clique.

He did have some Data/Odo-esque episodes but they were few and far between compared to Kes and Seven Ten Split

Stop using images of tweets for OPs.

This is an imageboard you stupid moron.

>Was the gelpack thing EVER a benefit?
Not really. Memory Alpha says they're faster than isolinear circuits but it doesn't source it and I don't recall that being mentioned either, noe seeing anything that Voyager's could do that other ships in the fleet couldn't (First Contract established that the Enterprise had an EMH too but Beverly didn't want to use it).

Why would you use a jerk hologram to treat patients when you have on boars sexy milf doctors and cute asian nurses?

That really doesn't explain to me why she is hailed as the saviour of Voyager, other than tits and ass, tho

Is there anything else on her personality or arc other that "want to be human"?

DS9 is no better than Voyager, my friend.

Minus the "no" :-D

Pretend this says "Star Trek" instead of video games

You survived the endless stream of space-time tears in TNG, you'll get through this.

One day I was watching it, hearing for the thousandth time what a warp core breach meant, wondering how stupid the crew must be to have to be told that every time... and decided I couldn't watch anymore.

The original Enterprise had a chapel

absolutely correct, although you forgot to include TAS

>other than tits and ass, tho
>"want to be human"

You... you need more? F-fine. You must be a girl or gay or something, but fine. She was a good actress (at least compared to many of the cast), had actual character arcs relating to the above, and had a great body... of decent episodes she was a focal point in.

she didnt want to be human at all.
janeway kidnaps her.

Seven didn't want to be human though, Janeway and The Doctor were forcing it on her, she was always like

>Why?
>This is inefficient

The only exception I can think of is that one episode where she starts dating holochakotay and has her implants removed, but as that was just a fantasy and she never acted on it, it's hardly conclusive.

>tfw you thought Sup Forums was memeing about Neelix and Paris being pedos until you finally got around to watching Voyager.

Does it get better with Seven of Nine? I think that's when I saw voyager for the first time

Why do you all keep talking about sex stuff?

Sure you aren't confused with enterprise.

There's plenty of episode guides around if you just want to watch the decent episodes.

But if you're too lazy to find them just look up the doctor ones, every Picardo ep is pure kino and they're mostly self-contained too.

I'm talking about this thread, cf

>pedos
>implants
>gay
>great body

and that's just the posts I can see without scrolling up.

Why are you all so sex obsessed

Voyager has three good characters: Tuvok, The Doctor, and pic related. Everyone else sucks and that's why the show is more miss than hit. Still some good episodes, just hard to find them.

Why did Voyager have child molesters as main characters?

Serious question.

Have you not seen Star Trek?

> (You)
>>implants
BORG implants, the pieces of technology they implanted into her.

Kes had the body of an adult and that's all that matters in future space law

>child molester apologism
No thanks.

Don't worry I'll change the subject

What would sex with your favorite character be like, my fellow friends?

Seven sucks and I still have ptsd from her bullshit marketing blitz.
Paramount can suck my cock.

technically isnt all inter species shit some form of bestiality and not pedo?

>not being into space cunny

where do you think you are?

well.. sorta but also she's not a child by the maturity standards of her species.