How do I get into classical music without being bored out of my fucking mind?

How do I get into classical music without being bored out of my fucking mind?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QOMzfnCEejw
youtube.com/watch?v=G8BHZgCHQi8
youtu.be/liF4tt2HJEw
youtube.com/watch?v=VHbEDepj3Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZDFFHaz9GsY
youtube.com/watch?v=z7rxl5KsPjs
youtube.com/watch?v=8DidUxnwfF8
youtube.com/watch?v=dTxggoE48wk
youtube.com/watch?v=pR8ABKpwm7w
youtube.com/watch?v=Q350N0Y9KyE
youtube.com/watch?v=9i5D4ZW8O9o
youtube.com/watch?v=O0_gw2Lillg
youtube.com/watch?v=PlGrCRyztR8
youtube.com/watch?v=_UzblyL4IvY
youtube.com/watch?v=NiRNzIUkDuk
youtube.com/watch?v=6ZkY9pJY6F8
youtube.com/watch?v=pf4UNJqv_-A
youtube.com/watch?v=If2akTqCML4
youtube.com/watch?v=CHgR1eKlHy8
youtube.com/watch?v=-0nKJoZY64A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Pleb.

get high or something

Start with shorter, contemporary pieces. Maybe film/game soundtracks, also musicals. Find what you like. Then maybe some iconic pieces of classical music and just delve into the styles you actually enjoy. When non-classical people say "classical music" I mean there's a lot under than umbrella as opposed to the specific period of post-baroque pre-romantic that is the true period of "classical music".

Wind Band/Military Band/Concert Band stuff tends to be a little more exciting than Orchestral stuff, and feelsy (but that might just be cause I have a lot of CB nostalgia from playing in them for years).

I always recommend Holst, R Vaughn Williams as more modern, and quite fun/engaging composers that are easy to get into. Jupiter is an absolute riot, and English Folksong Suite is great.

Force yourself to listen to it until you get used to it. Takes some time to get into classical.

Listen to Chopin

>Takes some time to get into classical
No, it's some of the easiest music to listen to.

>tfw ruined by high bpm music with strong rhythm and syncopation

This slow stuff is so boring. I want more notes.

Learn to play an instrument.

Listen to Russian classical, you goddamn pleb.

As a film enthusiast I close my eyes and listen to classical music thinking about and coming up with movie scenes and playing them out in my head in a way that fits the music.

Like what?

Just... don't.
Don't get into classical, it's clearly not for you.

It's easy to listen to, but not to get the joy of it. At least to me, until I forced myself to listen to it, it sounded just boring.

There isn't enough fast counting to make it fun for me. Who enjoys 100bpm or less?

if you only enjoy fast music you miss so much good music
youtube.com/watch?v=QOMzfnCEejw

My brain doesn't go that slowly.

You remind me of my friend who is obsessed with bpm.
Just listen to speedcore/terrorcore/extratone and stop bothering people who can actually enjoy music in all its forms of expression.
You don't want music, you just need "muh bpm" as a sort of sound drug.
Don't worry, soon you'll grow out of it... unless you become a manchild like my friend.

Who are you listening to, Op???
youtube.com/watch?v=G8BHZgCHQi8

Nah, my favorite band is Jamiroquai. Basslines.
youtu.be/liF4tt2HJEw

Does anybody have any classical music recommendations similar to the energy of something like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=VHbEDepj3Zs

youtube.com/watch?v=ZDFFHaz9GsY

No amount of bpm and "sick bass drops" can surpass what listening to this live is like.

listen to some exciting shit thats intense it will grab your attention for sure. Some suggestions would be Stravinsky - Rite of Spring, and Shostakovich's 5th symphony

youtube.com/watch?v=z7rxl5KsPjs

don't be a fucking brainlet

Um I don't know what that kind of energy sounds like on classical, but maybe this?
youtube.com/watch?v=8DidUxnwfF8

learn2moonlightsonata3rdmovement

Thanks mate

>Thinks classical music is only slow
are you serious?
youtube.com/watch?v=dTxggoE48wk
youtube.com/watch?v=pR8ABKpwm7w
youtube.com/watch?v=Q350N0Y9KyE
youtube.com/watch?v=9i5D4ZW8O9o
youtube.com/watch?v=O0_gw2Lillg

how do people like you even exist?

Ultimate theory of music. It is the only one worthy of a philosopher. Let's start with tempo, and explain why slower music is bound to be worse. Because there's not much complexity in it, since not much happening in it, sonically, at any given moment (this is what it means for music to be slow). Also, better music needs more instruments, again due to complexity, ergo Sinatra is inherently inferior. Sinatra is pop music of the '50s and the '60s, the Britney Spears of his time. Early rap in fact, lol, since his voice is essentially the entire band, dominating to such an extent it may as well be rap. The same with many signers of that era, e.g. Bing Crosby, etc. That's why we talk of singers of that era instead of composers or bands, just like with rap artists. So at one end of the spectrum, at full speech articulation, you have a guy talking really fast, with either no music at all or a simplistic and repetitive background tune to avoid taking attention away from the fast-talker, and at the other end you have opera, where articulation is so faint that the singer can barely be said to be speaking, and where his voice is almost an extra instrument which no one can even understand what it is saying (which is where the libretto comes in).
Moving on to theme, the ultimate genre of music is heavy metal, and especially its epic variety, fittingly also called power metal (Nietzsche would have loved this label, for obvious reasons). To make epic music you need an epic subject. Pop starlets sing about kissing boys and Eminem about his mother popping pills — not exactly subjects that anyone could write operas about, if you see my meaning. So how complex could the music to such petty experiences get? If if did get complex, it would clash with the simplicity of the feeling it is trying to convey, so the end result would still be inferior.

And finally, there is length. Pop music must by its very nature be brief, since it is so simplistic and repetitive that if it went on for more than a few minutes even its braindead fans would get bored of it. Also, domination of lyrics precisely for the benefit of unmusical people. No lyrics in classical music because it is music. Music is supposed to convey its meaning via melody, which of course must be interpreted for the message (=feeling) to be received, but peasants don't have the attention span or subtlety for that, ergo lyrics are introduced to literally tell the peasants the meaning. Wherever lyrics are introduced they dominate in the listener's ear, to the detriment of the music, because their meaning is easier to interpret. Least dominant in opera, out of all the lyrical forms, which is why opera can be pretty good music. Utterly dominant in rap, which is why rap features such shitty music, usually even stolen from a catchy pop tune, since rappers can't even be bothered to compose anything. Also, lyrics tire you out due to the intensity of the spoken word. Even if Blind Guardian singer Hansi Kürsch could write a song that went for an hour, 1. He wouldn't be able to sing it, 2. His audience would be so tired in the end that they'd feel as if they came out of a lecture hall that, besides the lecture, also blasted heavy music at them for an hour. But it is not only the music that degenerates with the addition of lyrics, but also vice versa, since the requirements of the melody — such as it is, in pop music — constrain the lyrics too, condemning them to simplicity and repetitiveness. I mean, it's not like you can deliver an interesting lecture via song lyrics, which would at least have kept the listeners entertained, so childish, repetitive stuff only, and since repetitive they must be kept brief — which is how we went from hour-long symphonies to three-minute pop songs.

Kek fucking poser
sage

shut up nigger

People like you make this board shit.

How do I get into classical when every composer has like 1000 different interpretations and artists?

source on gif?

Why would he love the term "power metal"? Can you elaborate on that?

you listen to one or two until you find one you like
Example:
>77206491

fuck

'God bless america'

Pretty funny movie

Rimsky-Korsakov

lol icycalm infecting Sup Forums

will to power

Where do I even start? this seems overwhelming.
Is there a certain way to listen to classical music?

Put on Mahler's 5th in the background while you wagecuck or jack off or whatever it is you blue-collar brainlets do

Here's a quick rundown:
Baroque - Unless you really care (and you don't) only listen to Glenn Gould's renditions of Bach's Art of Fugue (BWV 1080). Start with Contrapunctus 9, then Contrapunctus 4. This is another extremely engaging one you'll be sure to like: youtube.com/watch?v=PlGrCRyztR8
I get chills every time.
If you want non-piano baroque, Vivaldi's Four Seasons is very accessible. The "Summer" movement is literally the most metal thing ever written. I think it was in John Wick.

True classical-era: Honestly I don't know shit about this era besides that Beethoven and Mozart were in it. You can probably skip this one.

Romance-era: This is where shit starts to get interesting.
The first instance of psychedelic western music was Berlioz's Symphony Fantastique. It's meant to be a bit of word painting telling the story of a man madly in love with a woman he'll never have. He sees her dancing with another man at a ball and leaves in a fit of rage. He then decides to kill himself with some opium and goes on a fantasia-esque bad trip where he imagines himself murdering his beloved, getting executed and then attending a witches sabbath in hell, where his beloved has turned into a demon.
Now, you probably wouldn't be able to tell any of this without knowing first, and you'll probably find it boring as shit, but I'd recommend you give it a go anyway.

Just lurk the classical thread and listen to a couple pieces a day. If you don't like a piece, don't listen to it. If you do, seek out other works in that genre/time period or by that composer. When you really like a piece, start listening to different performances of it to see which one you like better.

There are also courses on youtube that walk you through listening to classical music. Alternatively, you could take up music lessons and join an amateur ensemble in five or so years after you've become proficient enough. That requires money and probably 10 hours a week, though.

objectively the best composer in the western cannon

fight me.

Oh shit I wasn't done, that posted accidentally.

Anyway, further along into the Romance Era is Liszt, who was easily the greatest pianist of his time. He was so good in fact that women traveled from all across Europe just to throw themselves at his feet. Pretty much the first rock star ever.
Hungarian Rhapsody #2 was in Bugs Bunny I think, so you might recognize it.

Mahler is by far the most patrician non-Russian classical era composer, but he may be hard to listen to if you're not used to classical music.

If you do want another symphony though, Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition is really vivid, clean and beautiful.

Finally, we move into Modernism. The most famous early Modernist was Debussy, who is my favourite composer. His music is ethereal and bizarre, yet indescribably soothing. It's what I imagine dying is like.
You'll recognize his Clair de Lune and Girl with Flaxen hair. If you want melodic pieces like this, try Bergmastique Suite. If you're into more experimental shit, try Preludes I & II.

Other modernism includes Expressionism and Most-Modernism, but you can skip this for now.

Anyway, cheers and good luck.

russian is top tier:

rimsky -scheherazade to start if you like that style, there is a lot from him
Tchaikovsky - violin concertos are where its at. I like op 35 d maj, but he has plenty. This shit will get your heart pumping.
Dvorak - I like symph 9, the new world symph is pretty good too.
Mussorgsky - symph6 is pretty good too and night of bald mountain is a pretty intense classical piece.

general tips: when you are just starting out, you will like the allegretto's more, as you learn to have a longer 'musical focus' is the best word I can think for it, you will begin enjoying symphonies in their entirety. Or you may find it is just not for you.

Thanks a lot!

>Tchaikovsky - violin concertos are where its at. I like op 35 d maj, but he has plenty
>he has plenty
Tchaikovsky only wrote one violin concerto
>Dvorak - I like symph 9, the new world symph is pretty good too
Those are the same symphony. Dvorak's 9th is called The New World Symphony.

Start with some classical pieces you already know that you like the sound of, for me that was La Campanella, Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, Fantasie Impromptu, 1812 Overture, Turkish March, Der Hölle Rache, and Gymnopedie No. 2. The only reason I list so many is maybe you can check those out, since it's what I listened to when I was first getting into classical.

>he has plenty
... of music

he has plenty of music, one piece of his is the violin concerto m80t, that's what I was getting at.

didn't know about dvorak though. I have heard the thing played differently enough that I assumed the 2 were different pieces, my mistake!

is phillip glass a good place to start

This. Jazz ruins classical for me.

Unfortunately the great tradition of improvisation in classical died out before reliable recording existed; all we really have from the great composers is sheet music and a couple texts and letters.

youtube.com/watch?v=_UzblyL4IvY
youtube.com/watch?v=NiRNzIUkDuk

more like him?

The Mighty Handful, maybe. Tchaikovsky, Vaughan-Williams? I don't know v many composers like NRK

Post rock, maybe

>Romance Era
>Mahler was a classical-era composer
>"Bergmastique" Suite
>"Most-Modernism"

Are you high or just dumb as shit?

Listen to Wagner.

Typo, obviously Mahler is romantic era. I think the point comes across for the rest of it though, no need for pedanticism

>"True classical-era: Honestly I don't know shit about this era besides that Beethoven and Mozart were in it. You can probably skip this one."
>Calling Pictures at an Exhibition a symphony
>Modernism includes post-modernism

I ain't laffed so hard in donkey's years.

>start with bach
Yes
>glen gould
no
>Art if Fugue
no

Start with French Suites. B minor and G major are top tier, listen to Andras Schiff

you sure about that?

Stop being a moron. Hope I could help!

um ok

Kek.

No, Adams is better.
youtube.com/watch?v=6ZkY9pJY6F8

That's because you are only listening to 10% of the music.

You can't just start with the AoF.

I think you shall agree that German industrial metal is the single supreme genre of music.

don't listen to this idiot

What's wrong with Gould? He put out the most colourful and interesting renditions of Bach

I did. That was the first thing I listened to when I was getting into classical. Contrapunctus IV - Glenn Gould

ITT: brainlets

To be fair there are albums that say New World is Symphony 8, 9 or 5. I've seen them before. They can't make up their fucking mind (but the correct nunber is 9) there was even an album cover where it was like translated "symphony no 9 (incorrectly titled 5)" or something along the lines of that

>only listen to Glenn Gould's renditions of Bach's Art of Fugue (BWV 1080)
what the fuck hahaha, I've never spoken to a person with this opinion

anyways, BWV 244
youtube.com/watch?v=pf4UNJqv_-A

I know anons in this thread already gave out a lot of recommendations, but if you really want to get into classical the easy way, I suggest you start by listening to "rock" renditions of classical pieces. Pretty much anything by Emerson Lake and Palmer will help you to get into the format of longer suites with more intricate compositions than 90% of what you see get posted on this board. Start by listening to ELP's self titled debut or Pictures at an Exhibition. The self titled features 3 tracks that either are, or include re-worked renditions of classical pieces. Pictures at an Exhibition is a re-worked composition of a suite by the same name, with some added bits and lyrics written by Lake.
youtube.com/watch?v=If2akTqCML4

Don't listen to Bach, listen to Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky and Schubert instead.

Bullshit.

For a start it's what I'd recommend.
It is a good metaphor for classical itself: it's initially pretty confusing due to how much is going on, but as soon as it clicks, your mind is fucking destroyed and you end up listening to it over and over. It's almost orgasmic.
Then you realize that many of the modal lines are inverted across the various fugues, and your mind is destroyed all over again. There's literally no reason starting with BWV 1080 isn't the best choice, and Gould is the undisputed king.

>Bach on piano
Gross.

>Gould is the undisputed king.
I'll take Gould's WTC and Koroliov / Walcha's fugues. GG moaning over the track gets too distracting.

rachmaninov

listen to following, this will 100% not bore you at the beggining
>Grieg - Peer Gynt
>Smetana - Vltava
>Vivaldi - Four Seasons
>Mussorgsky - Night On Bald Mountain
>Pachelbel - Canon In D Major
>Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries
>Mozart - Turkish March, Lacrimosa, The Marriage of Figaro, A Little Night Music
>Bach - Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, Minuet in G Major, Goldberg Variations aria
>Beethoven - Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata
first you listen to most popular ones, then you dive in more obscure and better ones. Enjoy.

Yeah, that's understandable. It doesn't bother me.

Try the Viennese operettas. Listen to Lehar, Straus (one S), Strauss II, Romberg and Friml.

Very boring due to the fact that anyone who's seen Fantasia or been alive more than ten years has almost certainly heard all of those at one point. Intrigue comes with experimentation, which is why I recommended Symphony Fantastique and Debussy.

I agree. I think I just like percussion too much to like classical. Latin percussion gets me hard.

forgot the following
>Handel - Sarabande
>Georges Bizet - Habanera Carmen Suite No.2
>Carl Orff - Carmina Buarana
you really think the absolute beginners can get into it and appreciate it as much as you or i do?

>no percussion

Boring
youtube.com/watch?v=CHgR1eKlHy8

Shostakovich. Always DSCH. His shit is fucking intense. youtube.com/watch?v=-0nKJoZY64A

by not listening to mozart

This sounds cool.

Debussy? Absolutely. Preludes I & II vs Art of Fugue shows the extreme differences between two eras of classical music, with Liszt being somewhere in the middle.

Symphony Fansastique is an exotic and noteworthy piece of early romantic era music, while Pictures at an Exhibition represents the end of that era.

Contrast and context builds understanding. You've just chosen a bunch of frankly uninteresting pop hits that barely scratch the surface of experimentation and exoticism. All of my choices were absolutely revolutionary at the time of their composition.

Alternatively, OP should just listen to Bernstein's talks, even though my choices were totally adequate.

thanks for rec bro, this is gorgeous.

classical music isn't all that good

Beethoven is the pop of the 1980s

David Bowie is is better than Mozart

Schubert wrote pretty basic melodies and song structures

Debussy is a cool guy though

Let me elaborate a bit:

Everything that has been done in classical music has been imitated endlessly in modern music

Classical music isnt interesting anymore except if you really like the sound of 70 people playing in an orchestra performing a song guy wrote

I'm a hobby musician but honestly every person who I met studying classical music knows nothing about music except how to perform 6 pieces perfectly and then they forget about the piece after the performance

Classical music isn't all that bad, honestly but the creative freedom modern musicians have is makes for way more interesting music in my opinion