Explain why you care about the pop music opinions of someone who cannot:

Explain why you care about the pop music opinions of someone who cannot:
-Produce
-Write songs
-Perform

I.e., someone lacking any of the abilities that would indicate that he actually knows something about pop music.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qsKjzWd06lY
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/taiga/taiga/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't

fantano? he has been in bands and knows how to play music

youtube.com/watch?v=qsKjzWd06lY

He has written music though? Isn't this question really "why would you give a shit about anyone else's music opinion but your own", and in which case isn't you asking this question kind of hypocritical?

I don't want to seem like a dickrider, but you do know he's released an album, right
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/taiga/taiga/

he was in a band though so at least 2 of these assumptions are wrong

I don't. 9 times out 10 I disagree with him/don't hear what he hears.

I just think he's funny at times.

I just like to hear people talk about music in video form. Reading is gay as hell.

I would care about someone like a good songwriter's opinion of pop music, or a good producers, or a good performer's, since being able to do one of those tasks indicates (to me) some level of familiarity with pop music and probably some insight into various parts of the music, industry, etc. Some random guy who listens to albums doesn't seem to have any meaningful connection to knowing things to me.

I do too, but I just listen to interviews with other musicians/industry people

I don’t, why would I care about your opinions?

You don't need to be a 5-star chef to know when a meal tastes bad. Roger Ebert didn't need to be a director or filmmaker to know if a movie was good or bad. All you need is an opinion and reasons to support it.

Kind of disagree in some sense. There's actually a restaurant that me and some friends stop at specifically any time we're travelling in a certain part of the US. It has some really excellent food and is prepared quite well. However, they play MMA on the TVs and the other patrons are sort of trashy. As such, it has really low ratings on Yelp. The point is in part that I don't trust someone who isn't experienced in cooking itself to be able to separate his biases and be able to comment on the actual food properly.

I also sort of don't have that much respect in this context for his music--it doesn't even sound bad, and is somewhat enjoyable. But it seems to be in a style where Fantano himself seems to largely sidestep the challenges of pop music in general, and just plays something loud and inoffensive while the drummer takes care of everything.

>I would care about someone like a good songwriter's opinion of pop music, or a good producers, or a good performer's
>good
>good
>good

which is subjective

also thisFantano's taste us usually trash but there are some things I agree with him on enough that if he says it, I will think "hm this might be worth checking out."

like for example, if he reviews a hip-hop album and it says it has "aggressive beats, gritty samples, complex rhyme schemes" then I will probably listen to that album because those are things that I know I enjoy and you don't have to be a musician to understand.

This is actually a good point

If you have an issue with that, we can set aside opinions and just say that I'll listen to your opinions on music if one of the singles you sang or cowrote or produced or whatever has 10m+ youtube views or something like that, and I'd probably end up listening to the same people. and i guess your second part makes sense in that you don't need to be able to evaluate the finished product that much if you need metadata furnished rather than an evaluation of the work itself.

>I'll listen to your opinions on music if one of the singles you sang or cowrote or produced or whatever has 10m+ youtube views or something like tha

so you think popular = good? that's even more stupid than the OP. if I co-wrote a Justin Bieber song would you suddenly care about my opinion on any album, just because the song got a billion views on youtube or whatever?

yes i would. cowriting a justin bieber song would indicate to me that one of the most talented groups of people in pop music today thought enough of your ability to bring you on to help them. indicating to me that you must possess some insight into pop music and that listening to your opinion on pop music would have a much stronger possibility of containing something interesting than the average person.

wow

>implying melon is ignorant about music
>ignorant about melon

This is actually pretty good, not cringe at all.

>listens to hip hop
opinion discarded

itt: hurr you’re not allowed to agree with [person] because I don’t like [person]