Is Westworld good enough to join the pantheon of AI films?

Is Westworld good enough to join the pantheon of AI films?

> Solaris (1972)
> Ghost in the Shell
> A.I.
> Ex Machina

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=8051Hipbmmw
westworld.wikia.com/wiki/Robert_Ford
youtube.com/watch?v=Pwsmz_xKgJ0
youtube.com/watch?v=fD4pJ6tboCo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If they boiled it down to a four ep miniseries sure
Is 2001 an AI movie?

>no Metropolis
>no Blade Runner
>no WarGames
>no Matrix
>no Dark Star
>no Terminator
>no Short Circuit
>no D.A.R.Y.L.

No but AI is a 2001 movie

kek

eat it kermit

West World is the most overrated series from this year.

I do not under stand why any one likes West World.

doesn't look like anything to me

>Short Circuit
>artificial intelligence
Bro, he was inhabited by the spirit of voodoo serial killer.

HAHAHAAHAHHA ITS WHAT THEY SAY ON THE SHOW

pwned

dude robots have feelings

Shit tier

Analysis: What did he mean by this?

Just look at those feelings

We spent quality time unraveling the secrets of this show, faggot

West World was just much too predictable

How do the guns \w/ork in \W/est \W/orld?

Of course. It's bold enough to declare its own theorems for the nature and role of A.I. in our inevitable futures, while walking its audience through the potential drawbacks and challenges they'll bring

The significance of the maze instantly blew A.I. and Ex Machina out of the water in terms of depth. There's far more potential here...the only issue is the further along Westworld goes, the more suspension of disbelief that'll be required, seeing as anything further than the exact moment of a superintelligence's true emergence + self-actualization will be pure speculation and fantasy.

The show is smart because it knows how to dress up the information that man has been living with for generations extremely well (Moore's law, theory of ten dimensions, etc), and all to the comfiest score HBO's ever released. As long as you're VERY patient with the absolutely shite Maeve moments, this is definitely in the top 3 shows of the year.

sure, but a good portion of the show wasn't really focused on AI

>no Metropolis
>no Blade Runner

yes

>no Matrix

rip-off

>no Terminator
>no Short Circuit

very good movies, but not in pantheon

I'm watching it and I'd like it more if they didn't shove in the obligatory cuckold that white knights some robots. Same shit in ex machina.

Hosts typically get blanks

F-. Try making that post without using the word "cuckold". I think you can do it. I believe in you, junior.

William gets a pretty big reality check towards the end.

Even though he's just spouting a buzzword, he's not that far off from the truth.

You won't get the show if you refuse to introspect though. The constantly recurring theme of people 'finding themselves' in the park is deployed to both make our vicarious experiences more intense, and also to generate fear in a converging reality of usurpation; Man will be dethroned, this is how it will happen, we will not be able to say no.

It's why it feels so reminiscent of Skynet pre-Maeve reveal. If Ford, likely named such in relation to Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World", truly had had no hand in spurring Maeve, that would be the path. I like that they didn't make it that cut and dry though, shows that they're clever enough to lead you there, as well as clever enough to not.

Doesn't look like anything to me

>The significance of the maze instantly blew A.I. and Ex Machina out of the water in terms of depth

agree

> ...cuckold that white knights some robot

keep watching

Ford was actually named after Robert Ford, the guy who killed Jesse James.

blanks that HIT the guests!

>Ford, likely named such in relation to Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World"
Interesting take, although I think they borrowed the name Robert Ford from the man who shot Jesse James. Ford also dies in a similar fashion to Jesse James, shot in the back by his protege/creation

Tony Hopkins BTFO Morgan Freeman as God character

>ctrl+F 'world on a wire'
>0 results
Sup Forums really is the shittest board

They're futuristic blanks

dat radiohead

youtube.com/watch?v=8051Hipbmmw

also used in the great climax in one of Black Mirror episodes

HOLY SHIT, IT'S BERNARD!

The theory that I've accepted is that all bullets are "weak", that is if they hit a guest or a host they do not penetrate. However all hosts have squibs within their bodies that burst when hit by a bullet.

That's VR, not robots

Really?
Thanks for the heads up.
But I wouldn't just draw the line there, there has to be at least something tongue in cheek. Both are engineers of apex, post-human species, and both are deeply emphasized as Gods in their contexts. In Huxley, control is manifested through generations of bioengineering at the hands of multiple, highly educated controllers -- in Westworld, it's instant, at the touch of a screen. The scales at play are entirely different though; one is an amusement park, and the other is most of the world.

I'd say it would be more open to interpretation if his first name was different but he's actually named Robert Ford.

westworld.wikia.com/wiki/Robert_Ford

Metropolis the anime as well

>westworld.wikia.com/wiki/Robert_Ford
WICKED coincidence then. Holy shit.
Still doubt far and away that I'm the first to have noticed tho

So what was the significance of all the hosts stopping when Maeve ran off the train to go back to Westworld?

Also I'm tired of the kill all humans scenario. It doesn't really make sense. The justification is always "humans are terrible and won't let you live, so you have to kill them first". But then that just makes AI as terrible as humans, thus killing the moral.

>the greatest mind of our time made a video defending raping dolores

what did he mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=Pwsmz_xKgJ0

Still AI senpai

absolutely not

Anyone else feel profoundly touched after watching Westworld S1?

There is something that I can't put my finger on, I feel different somehow.

Also this track goddamn.
youtube.com/watch?v=fD4pJ6tboCo

>>no Terminator

Just a remake of Westworld 1973 anyway :^)

You just blew my fucking mind.

Kubrick, Spielberg...it all makes sense now.

Yes

pretending like you're an AI movie expert but don't mention Mogan

did they ever show who Wyatt was?

delores was wyatt

> Ghost in the Shell
>Anything other than a rip-off cartoon that excited horny autists at 14

Please, tell me more about how it's source comic covered deep and nuanced sci-fi concepts and even a few topics that weren't plagarised from a more creative culture.

The only people who think this is the greatest anything are pseudo-intellectual morons who are so blinded by their desire to appear smart on the internet they cannot see the obvious fact that Westworld is a poorly made mess that fails as an exploration of the themes it purports to tackle and only appears to have depth because the show explicitly and bluntly reminds the audience of its "philosophical depths" every episode. I'm talking about these guys

>tips fedora

>memes

What about that guy that drank milk and it all came out of his body because he was full of holes? Clearly he was a guest, but somehow the augmented reality makes it so he is not physically harmed?

Yup it is

Elsie > Armitice > shit > the rest

Channel 4s Humans series is much better and does it in half the time

Swap the first 2 and we're agreed on the rest

Hey reddit call back with taste plz thx bi

what Solaris have to do with A.I?