Give me one reason why you're still listening to indie rather than metal in 2018

Give me one reason why you're still listening to indie rather than metal in 2018

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ez0JsSVA8P4
youtube.com/watch?v=6Q7dFjzgQJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=x9I6oigwsgY
youtube.com/watch?v=d48amP2HONE
youtube.com/watch?v=IcmdzW43lfU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because I don't like Metal.
But I don't listen to indie either.
So it balances out. Right?

I listen to both you inbred

Are there any bands that make Indie Metal music?

youtube.com/watch?v=Ez0JsSVA8P4
youtube.com/watch?v=6Q7dFjzgQJQ
not a band and not fully metal (just black metal influenced) but here ya go

>Still listening to metal and not conceptual hardcore punk in the year 2018 of our lord

youtube.com/watch?v=x9I6oigwsgY

>indie is a genre

It is, though, just like Alternative. Alternative is like music that bridges the gap between mainstream and independent/underground, that takes influences from both conventional and unconventional. Indie is purely separate from the mainstream; it doesn't set out to mimic mainstream trends. However, Indie music can get just as big as the mainstream, but still be indie at its core.

no you idiot indie just means independent

Because fuck metal and it's machismo wankery. Just gimmie some goth rock and dark wave, it's free from the shittiness of indie but it's dark without being edgy like metal.

>Implying I listen to indie trash
Op, please.

Because Melvins is the only good metal band and the rest can suck black dick

Not that guy but it's been long enough to where independent music has been given enough distinct characteristics to actually be considered a genre, especially if you look at the term's historical context of its Rock variant.

That's too broad and generic a meaning to associate with indie.

>2018
>Still listening to music

metal is just blastbeating and guys with gandalf like beards screaming about wizards and satan... ...baka nobody else listens to real music like twenty one pilots or ed sheeran...

>metal is just blastbeating and guys with gandalf like beards screaming about wizards and satan
That's what makes it superior.

Metal produces a chemical named soyidum cucktanis (the thing the nintendo switch is coated with), which increases the production of estrogen and blocks testosterone.

>metal
>blocking testosterone
Metal is probably one of the highest T genres there is desu.

These indie cucks couldnt handle Led Zeppelin let alone full blown metal

This was true for about 5 minutes in the 80's. Now it means pretending to be independent because your label is a subsidiary of a major so numales buy product.

found the soyboy that never got drop kicked in the pit

>mfw I heard some indie hipster say Led Zeppelin would be better if they had a vocalist like [name of the faggot singing in the song they were listening to whose name I cannot remember and do not care to ever hear again]
The singer they were talking about had the whiniest faggotiest voice I have ever heard from a (supposed) man.

this is incredible.
>conceptual
how tho

Man both those girlfriends sound amazing, maybe I should stop listening to art rock

dont like metal fuck you bitch

I was a metalhead during my high school years, all battle jacket, long hair, boots and shit. I use to look up to older metalheads in my scene because of their lifestyle and their knowledge of metal. I was every weekend at a gig and I bought a ton of albums from underground bands and shit. I used to think I looked cool.

5 year laters I cringe thinking about it. Those guys I admired are manchilds without jobs, that the only thing that define their personality is metal, the metalhead look is cringey, most metal bands are mediocre to say at least. You realize nobody looks at metalheads like the badasses they think they're, society look at them like they look at otakus or bronies. They're a fucking joke. At least some otakus are aware of their autism.

Trips confirm

What do you listen to now?

>trips
>666 upside down

very based post

desu hipster/soy metal is some of the most creative and interesting metal and they don't fall for the dumb image traditional metal bands do

I am triggered by this post.

I listen to a lot of stuff. One of the things I thank to my metal years, is that I learned to investigate more about unknown bands, subgenres and shit. So my music taste is very broad right now, ranging from Jazz to hip-hop, noise rock, post-punk, soul, ambient, d-beat, etc, etc.

And I didn't stop listening to metal at all, like I said most metal bands sound very mediocre to me, almost every band is the imitation of another one, but everynow and then I found a good metal band that is not afraid to experiment and that is not just a cliche.

this is the absolute fucking truth. Even from a young age I could sense the autism in heavy metal. That bizarre sentiment of "everyone thinks metalheads are scary but they're actually the nicest guys you'll ever meet" is such bullshit, because nobody thinks metalheads are scary. Metalheads are embarrassing larpers and the only people who don't realize this are other metalheads

I stopped listening to metal around age 22. I have just grown older and less angry.

>goth rock and darkwave aren't edgy

>almost every band is the imitation of another one, but everynow and then I found a good metal band that is not afraid to experiment and that is not just a cliche.
like Korn and Slipknot

18 and up buddy

Metalheads are the furries of the music world.

I don't listen to metal, should I start with Sleep y/n

It invites burnout, especially if you buy into the metal and only metal meme that's big in certain circles, especially in high schools. It sounds to me as though you should get your T levels checked though, m8. I'm coming to you as a friend.

I mean, even though they're horse shit for plebs, they're thousand miles better than most know metal bands like Exodus, Cannibal Corpse, Immortal or 95% of Thrash, Death and Black Metal bands that exist..

definitely not, it's a very endurance based album assuming you're starting with Dopesmoker

Might I ask what genres/artists do you listen to?

unironically I recommend starting with albums on this chart if you aren't into metal. Soyboy/nu-male memes aside 29 of these are my favorite metal albums including some of my all-time favorites

What sort of degenerate cannot appreciate Plants sexy voice?

For all the flack nu males get. Nu male metal is pretty good. I dont understand what associated them with nu males to begin with desu.

>California by Mr. Bungle
>pop songs with 5 second metal parts

I found Mr Bungle to be something that only autists would enjoy

What is so nu male about The Great Southern Trendkill aside from pic related

it's because most people in the /metal/ general are a bunch of circle-jerking borderline autists who can't stand that somebody can make metal without adhering to the lame and overdone imagery prevalent with most metal. It's the same reason why punk died, a bunch of image-conscious manchildren who drove out all the fun and creativity associated with pushing boundaries in new music.

its bait but its the fact that it's their least popular album, but happens to be their most interesting

Metal is low T beta bitch shit man. Fucking hell, listen to some brostep to cleanse you of your faggotry you fucking weakling. Lift weights you queer

>He didn't skate while listening to metal
>He hung out with other metalheads instead of soloing it in the woods and mountains
>He spent his money on the trendiest albums and clothes instead of buying pedals and strings
No wonder you soyed out, fuck ur trips

>not realizing most of the prominent brostep producers came from metal/core backgrounds

>excision, datsik, borgore, getter etc...

also not enjoying both brostep and metal

Holy fucking shit you are absolutely right. I dont get how metalheads can keep up with all the new releases, they are all either generic ass blast beats with production far too clean for metal or indecipherable, autistic walls of noise. Worse yet these fags see fit to shit on power metal; perhaps the only kind of metal around that still knows how to have fun and write a melodic riff.

I dont know how traditional metal is so joyous to listen to when it all sounds the same but i miss it. There cant be more than 80 metal musicians who actually pushed the boundaries of genre out of the thousands upon thousands of generic ass lame metal bands out there.

>core
>Having anything to do with metal

Punk and metal always cross influenced each other ever since the start of the 80s. From the raw energetic riffs of nwobhm, the adoption of the term thrash by thrash metal from hardcore and how metallic hardcore is hardcore punk with extreme metal riffs.

Plenty more examples im sure an actual expert would be able to elaborate on.

if you don't think deathcore or metalcore are metal then you are quite literally what is killing metal

Despite being trendy to scene kids Suicide Silence were just a death metal band with breakdowns.

Carnifex and Job For a Cowboy even went the route to appease metal nerds with 'trve' sound

I seriously can't believe metal fans are still this dense in 2018, no wonder everyone thinks metal is for children

I dont think people like you "get" metal.

Metal doesnt want to be mainstream.

It doesnt want to be popular.

Metal wants to be hated, metal is abrasive, metal is brutal, metal is like a band named "holocaust abortion" with an album called "legalize murder" and the front cover is a zombie ripping a baby out of a womb.

Everytime metal goes mainstream metal heads hate it.

Hair metal, nu metal, fucking disasters that brought in hordes of normal fags.

Metal is the only genre that hasnt been swallowed and destroyed by pop, and the only genre that retains its orginal ethos.

Punk music died the second it went pop
Real rap is dying as we speak because they wanted to become top 40 clowns.

Metal marches on.

You will never hear this shit on the radio and they want it like that.
youtube.com/watch?v=d48amP2HONE

>autistic walls of noise
>listens to noise rock and punk

You don't get to 'speak' for metal cunt

Give me more like King Gizzard's Great Chain of Being

I used to be think like that when I was 15 and thought corpsepaint was cool.
If you think there are any mainstream metal bands outside of Metallica and Sabbath you must really have a fucked sense of what is mainstream.

btw rap is undergoing a creative metamorphosis right now in the underground. It's the same thing that happened to rock in the 70's and metal in the 90's. If you assume the only rap that has a thriving scene is in the top 40 you're a bigger clown than any non-metal fan assuming corpsepaint came from being big fans of Kiss

Why do they want that? I understand not wanting to be popular but wanting to be hated? That's just dumb. I'd rather listen to something more meaningful.

Stoner/Doom metal is a good place to start

Try Quicksand and Helmet

>btw rap is undergoing a creative metamorphosis right now in the underground. It's the same thing that happened to rock in the 70's and metal in the 90's. If you assume the only rap that has a thriving scene is in the top 40 you're a bigger clown than any non-metal fan assuming corpsepaint came from being big fans of Kiss

rap is fucking dead dude.

What rap was when i was growing up was gangsta shit.

Now its guys in tight pants mumbling about xanax

Metal aint going out like that

I've never gotten very far into metal, though I've listened to Black Sabbath, Deafheaven, Altar of Plagues, Malvins, Faith No More, and Abigail Williams, (is relient k metal? If so, them too), and probably others that I'm forgetting. It's interesting, but I just haven't really gotten to it yet.

Punk is alright. I prefer traditional metal over traditional punk but i have to say, id generally take grindcore and metallic hardcore over extreme metal.

Noise isnt just autistic. Its the most autistic type of music out there.

endless days and sleepless nights are great albums

Also Orange 9mm, Rollins Band, dayinthelife, Glassjaw, Deftones and any other band tagged as both post-hardcore and alternative metal

How far are you on the spectrum? Rap is the most popular style of music in the US and certainly isn't dead.

And you're right metal isn't going to die at a peak popularity, it's going to die because of elitists gatekeeping what is and isn't real metal because it doesn't fit into their autistic expectations.

Lol have you even read about the original black metal scene?

It was about being as evil as possible.

Varg killed a dude

Metal isnt the place for mainstream normal faggots

are you 12

You still dont get it.

Metal doesnt want to be popular IT DOESNT WANT TO BE POPULAR THEY LITTRLY MAKE ALBUMS WITH PIG NOISES ON IT

FFUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKK

implying

You say autistic like it's a bad thing.

You need to face that autistic music is the greatest music there is

So you're saying it's insincere?

Gotcha

for wanting to be hated it sure got an autist like you to love it

I love progrock/metal/idm but goddamn is it a magnet for some of the worst fans ever. They all just seem to be a bunch of circle-jerking taste gate-keepers

ITT

nice get

unrelated thought: I was at a Mogwai concert a month ago and there was two very obvious groups of people- a shitload of nu males standing awkwardly by the walls, then a lot of perfectly normal-looking, happy people wearing Mogwai/GY!BE/ASMZ/Talk Talk/Sigur Ros stuff.

Then there was this guy. This one motherfucker looked like marilyn manson without the weird ass makeup. Super skinny, wearing all black, and a Sigur Ros sweatshirt. Is this guy the post rock equivalent of the people in this photo?

I think the only time metalheads were scary and that stereotype was alive was back in the late 70s and the 80s when metal was actually a thing. It was very common to metalheads engage into flights with punks and all that stuff, it was almost similar to gang shit.
When metal was sort of dying out the "scary metalhead" thing became something like a myth that attracted lots of loner awkward kids into metal making this retarded scene we have today.

Being an autistic edgy nationalist doesn't mean you're evil.

Stop pretending metal is scary or something like that, dude

And yeah, you're right, metal is for autistic larping edgy manchilds, not for normal people

You may just be right my dude

Shoot im pretty sure i do a bit of gatekeeping myself when it comes to prog. Though prog metal honestly is shit cause the metal aspects drags it down. For every legitimately good jazz rock/rio style modern prog band there must like 20 Genesis tribute bands disguised as original prog bands.

no he just seems like an outlier fan

metalheads basically all look the same which is kinda the point in the photo

You're completely right. There was a time around the late 70's and early 80's when being a "metalhead" wasn't seen as a joke. I don't know how these guys doesn't get that they're not tough, scary or manly, they're delusional.

*burns down church and kills people

"ohmygaw stop being so edgy"

Did you know in the old black metal scene they would throw a pigs corpse into the crowd and spray people with blood to flush out the normies.

Because you don't hear awesome covers of songs in indie like this one youtube.com/watch?v=IcmdzW43lfU

>a bit of gatekeeping
>prog metal honestly is shit
Only a little bit huh?

You do have a point about being 20 Genesis tribute bands disguised as original prog bands. IMO that just goes to show how influential Genesis really is. But then again the entire Stoner/Doom genres are literally just all rehashes of Black Sabbath.

But that being said those worship bands can actually put out good music if you're just looking for more of the same.

You got me haha. But honestly, most of prog metal i do actually like are basicslly my favourite metal albums of all time. This is the sort of creativity (mostly thinking about Voivod) that metal needs more of to avoid taking the flack its gotten ITT in the first place.

Throwing dead pigs and spraying blood, it's just dumb, you could just talk about how we are all going to die, even that's better for scaring normies.

Pfff, yes, it's the same with school shooters and shit. They're outcast who feel the only way people are going to look at them is being edgy or they're plain mental ill, which I don't know how you consider that cool. Varg is a fag who couldn't stand his boyfriend Euronymous was more famous than him so he killed him, I've seen Cheaters episodes with more evilness than that.

You wan't real evil, look at cartels in Mexico, you won't see them being edgy faggots as black metalheads.

>le moves the goal post man

Look, rap is dead. Its been taken over by faggots in tight pants and frutiy hair styles.

They tried to do that with metal but then kurt cobain slayeth that beast.

Rap is going to die. When pop is done making its money off of it it will be tossed into the garbage and some new sound kids like will be commodified.

Metal has no intrest in thats

Prog metal will forever be my favorite genre but then again I'm biased because I grew up listening to prog rock. I'm HUGE fan of Between the Buried and Me and just love what they bring to the table prog and death metal wise.

Saw Renaissance with my dad a month or two back and am going to see the Musical Box in the spring. I'm consistently the youngest at those shows. I like going to prog metal and djent shows because I can at least find fans my age in considerably larger numbers.

What does that have to do with what I said, when do even I mentioned Hip-hop?

Boy, do you get defensive about metal. It's ok, I was like that too when I was younger, soon you will grow out of it.

If rap is dead, then metal has got to be 300 years into decomposing by your standards.

Metal got tossed into the trash by grunge which funnily enough was very much metal influenced. Kurt Cobain went to every Metallica show when they showed up in Seattle.

he thinks you're me (the guy calling him a moron for his opinions on rap)
Ain't it nice growing out of the manchild metal mentality?

>grunge
>kurt cobain
>metallica

t. 40 year old who hasn't listened to any metal past 1995

would a 40 year old listen to this? specifically 29 of these albums

my metal taste pisses off most people in the /metal/ general bc they can't tolerate black metal recorded without a toaster or death metal without the that shitty scooped tone.

try again gatekeeper

You see the difference here is metal doesnt care about being popular while rap does.

You come off like a whiney little bitch.

Typical rap faggot

By the way nu metal came after grunge

i assumed by your previous posts you wouldn't think of nu-metal as real metal lol

>You come off like a whiney little bitch.
says the guy who keeps bitching how metal isn't supposed to be popular

Fucking hell dude. As an Australian, lemme just say that these talented folks are too old to even consider performing here. Have fun with that. I can still respect a prog metal fans tastes far more than most other people.