Following the murder of former Beatle John Lennon on December 8, 1980...

>Following the murder of former Beatle John Lennon on December 8, 1980, Christgau penned a eulogy in the Village Voice which contained a quote from his wife Carola Dibbell saying 'Why does it always have to be John Lennon and Bobby Kennedy? Why not Paul McCartney and Richard Nixon?' The column produced a considerable amount of controversy and numerous angry letters were sent in to the Voice by readers.

His wife is a stupid cunt who should die in a fire

Paul detected

But Paul already died

is this real

Not wrong t b h

Faul isnt a threat and nixon was rad, christgau is a faggot ass bitch

life

It genuinely baffles me how someone with such a small amount of talent and taste as Christgau has somehow been able to craft out such a successful career in music criticism.

is this just fantasy

B/c he's an attention whore with some unconventional tastes and a certain upper class New York audience likes that more than conventional reviews which tend to be formulaic and praise the same people over and over

caught in a landslide

no escape from reality

Oh fuck off. He has more taste and wit than anyone on this board will ever have.

He has such a punchable face

Open your eyes...

look up to the skies and see

That's like saying you're a good runner because you can run faster than Stephen Hawking

>total cunt
>likes the cuntiest beatle best

Would not have seen that one coming

i'm just a poor boy

hating on Bohemian Rhapsody isn't cool anymore

Critics can;t handle the granny shit

>you share a board with “people” who unironically like christgau

i wish paul mccartney was dead but im glad lennon is dead too

>It genuinely baffles me how someone with such a small amount of talent and taste as Christgau
His best-of album lists are pretty patrish but some genres of music especially metal he's completely clueless about. He's repeatedly shown that he has next to zero understanding of metal's purpose, message, or fanbase (protip: metalheads generally aren't football jocks like the kind that shoved him into a locker in the 10th grade).

Also he doesn't "get" European pop and rock for the most part unless the band/artist are Americaboos like the Rolling Stones.

John Lennon wasn't even that talented of a songwriter by himself, the media only liked him because he was the "political" Beatle. Paul McCartney was a better songwriter and composer easily but he didn't do bed-ins to protest the Vietnam War.

idk, what do jocks listen to?

Holy god, he was sporting the nu male look 30 years before the term was coined.

In the 80s they would have listened to hair metal and shit like John Mellencamp.

>John Lennon wasn't even that talented of a songwriter by himself
That's funny, all the best beatles songs he wrote himself.

>Also he doesn't "get" European pop and rock
This. Just look at his review of Post for fuck's sake.

The media and rock journalists in those days valued image, politics, and cult over musicianship. Mostly because they were English majors and don't really understand music, only lyrics. It's also why rock critics like hip-hop, since it's very verbose.

>all the jocks weren't metalheads
>they listened to hair metal
k

despite how it may seem, hair metal is NOT metal

Try his review of "The News of the World".

>In which the group who last winter gave you a $7.95 LP to boycott devotes one side to the wantonness of woman and the other to the doomed-to-life futile rebelliousness of the poor saps (those saps! you saps!) who buy and listen. C-

We Will Rock You is a football chant for crissake. And since it's also been a staple of American sporting events for decades, it does seem that most people on this side of the pond also got the point of the song.

Hair metal was really just hard rock anyway, not metal and it appealed to normalfags and jocks. Real metalheads were outcasts, stoners, and D&D nerds.

Why not?

How about his rants about how The Who should have just kept making TWSO over and over and they were traitors by doing prog.

Do you really think metalheads would listen to Kickstart My Heart?

>would metalheads really listen to a hair metal song
k

Going to an Exhorder or Sepultura show wearing a Ratt T-shirt wasn't really a good idea back in the day unless you wanted to lose some teeth.

>Going to an Exhorder or Sepultura show wearing a Ratt T-shirt wasn't really a good idea back in the day
Nice cherry picking those are all metal bands. Metal isn't solely what you want it to be

Were you even alive in the 80s?

Real metalheads listened to it all. It was perfectly normal to like Motley Crue and Slayer in the 80s

Motley Crue were ok in the early 80s, from TOP onward they increasingly turned into glop for tween girls.

>my opinion on the quality of these bands is...
Not relevant.

>Were you even alive in the 80s?
I very much was and no real metal fans liked the LA fag metal sound, that was your sister's music. You would listen to Slayer and Megadeth and your sister listened to Poison or something.

>real metal
Stop

See: >Metal isn't solely what you want it to be

Nonsense. Heaps of people into metal liked bands from across the spectrum. Sure, you probably didn't listen to Celtic Frost and Cinderella, but the harder edged glam bands were definitely fine.

I do.

She is a pretty bad influence on him.