How did Guns manage to blow it so quickly?

They went from lean mean 50s Elvis to fat Vegas 70s Elvis in one album.

axl seized control over the music and this is what happened
appetite was a full band effort, this was not

Overproduced bloat that lacked the edge and above all the swing of Appetite, it has a super-slick sound with a flat beat.

Axl's egomania mostly.

If the Illusions was one album instead of two it would have blown AFD out of the water

Use Your Illusion I [Geffen, 1991]

what pros ("Back Off Bitch", "Don't Damn Me") *

Use Your Illusion II [Geffen, 1991]

*choice cuts* "Civil War"

>chinese democracy
>B+
Why would anyone take this clown's opinion seriously?

I wish they would have just put the live version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" from the MTV Live At The Ritz concert as it totally blows away the studio version.

Dumping Steve Adler was stupid (his addictions notwithstanding), and Matt Sorum has absolutely no soul whatsoever.

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

Yeah, I'm sure he'd totally go for an album that has a song about Axl telling the media and critics to fuck themselves.

I don't think you understand it

If bowie could have had his greatest artistic period ever, then recovered

and these fast-tracked LA cockrockers crashed and burned

both of these were on the same drug, but only one side was talentless, guess who it was

yeah guns n roses. because they were shit

Eminem also lost it when he got clean.

Not to defend Christgau or anything, but Get in the Ring is a pretty cringy song.

Metallica and Mustaine too.

I think hiring Matt Sorum was Slash's idea? The two have been close friends for decades and Sorum has played on a lot of Slash's post-Guns material. I don't think Steve Adler could have handled a song like "Locomotive".

I wouldn't say GnR weren't talented, but I wouldn't put them on the same level as Bowie, also GnR was a band, Bowie was a solo performer. There's a difference.

>he listens to guns n roses
Artgirl “realmusic” tier garbage.

IDK. Some drummers fit some bands better and I think Adler fit Guns better than Sorum. His chemistry with Duff Kagan was especially good. Anyway, here's some of the main problems with the albums.

>too much Axl creative control, they're not collaborative efforts like Appetite
>overproduced and slick as fuck
>Izzy Stradlin hardly does anything--he makes a great foil for Slash, he can do things Slash can't and his tone and playing style are completely different--you can never mistake the two

Watch some live versions of Mr. Brownstone from the early 90s tours. Sorum is stiff as fuck, he can't play that swinging groove Adler could lay down.

Poor Steve Adler. It was amazing just how fast he ruined his playing abilities with drugs.

Plus it cost a lot of money to buy both albums especially during the early 90s recession.

I like UYI but they haven't aged all that well and do very much sound like 1991.

Yeah I was in Marine boot camp in '91 and half the guys in my platoon had one of the two UYI cassettes. In retrospect it's not hard to see how UYI got so big despite its flaws since decent rock music right before grunge was really thin on the ground.

wanting to be aerosmith, led zeppelin, queen, the rolling stones and elton john all at the same time probably had something to do with it

All that and Axl making music videos where he's swimming with dolphins.